“Sandals Mo Bay”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
USA Kansas
“Sandals Mo Bay”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Sandals mo bay, Is the most awesome place to stay. We have been going to this sandals for at least 14 years. They always remember us by name, and very nice staff, bartenders, maids, bell hop and security.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
Holyrood, Kansas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon and we had such a fantastic time. This was our first Sandals experience so we didn't have anything to compare it to other than to an all-inclusive resort we had stayed at a couple years ago in Mexico. Sandals Montego Bay was everything we hoped it would be, fantastic white sand beach, clear blue water, unlimited variety of drinks, great food, and best of all, a fun, helpful, energetic staff. Our favorite staff member was Hartlon, he really became our friend and always took time to talk with us on a personal level. He made nightly entertainment events fun, along with the rest of the Sandals staff. We are in our 20's, and I could see how if you are an older couple, this resort may not be for you if you are looking for a quiet, laid back atmosphere. We were surrounded by other honeymooners our age and that made it a welcoming, fun, and energetic environment to be in.

One of the negatives people are mentioning are the airplanes. Yes, this resort is very close to the airport (which made it nice for us, we didn't want to land and then have to drive 1-2 hrs to our resort). However, we found it really neat to watch the planes take off over us every so often throughout the day. The benefits of the resort made up for it.

We appreciated the extra activities, snorkeling, tubing, kayaking, which were all free through the resort. We did end up buying a couple more excursions, snorkeling farther out by the cove and zip-lining in the rainforest, both of which were worth it and so much fun. Overall, we want to go back someday and had a wonderful stay at this resort.

Room Tip: We loved our walk-out, ocean view room, which was also a consear room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jill W
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I had previously been to Sandals La Toc-St. Lucia on our honeymoon, so we were familiar with the Sandals brand. Our main criteria for this trip was:
close to airport, beautiful beaches, and easy to get to (flight-wise). Sandals MoBay met all those criteria. La Toc was nicer, but this was cheaper, so kind of what we expected. The hotel literally is next to airport-this didn't bother us at all. If plane noise bothers you, I suggest you find another resort. We wanted close to airport bc with a young daughter at home, we would need to fly out asap in case of emergency. The other resorts are 1hr30 + from airport. We stayed in the Almond Building 3rd floor with Club level service. Our room was updated and much nicer than our room in La Toc. Our oceanview was perfect and the Almond building is very quiet. We did have our smoke alarm battery die at 6:00 am one morning and we called down to get new batteries bc of the annoying beep. The guy that came up asked my husband and I to get up and change battery. This really pissed my husband off-this was his job- not ours, we are guests. Oh well-did not let that spoil our trip. The resort I would estimate was about 30% full, so finding a chair on beach was not an issue. The pool bar was small, but we are not pool people, so this did not bother us. If you are a pool person, this resort is not for you. Two smallish pools, but the beach is amazing. That is where we spent 100% of our time. The staff was hit or miss. Some were very friendly & accommodating, others were acting like it was a hassle to get you more to drink or help you. We loved the breakfast buffet every morning and most of the restaurants were pretty good. Oleander was the best. A minor annoyance I had was I really wanted to eat at Royal Thai at Royal Caribbean. Well, when we checked in we were told to wait to make reservations, when I checked back the next morning, they were booked. Apparently, they only took 2 couples per night from MoBay. I was pretty pissed about this lack of communication. Make your reservations when you check in-no exceptions or stuff will get booked. I will say this resort has a much slacker dress code than La Toc or Royal Caribbean. Some people looked like down right slobs at dinner. My husband and I like getting dressed up for dinner, so this was a little surprising. We really enjoyed the free water sports and glass bottom boat and snorkeling. The water sports staff was friendly and very helpful. A few tips- Do Club Mobay at airport for arrival and departure. We skipped all lines (1hr30 wait when we arrived) and got to eat and drink (alcohol) for free while we waited to fly out. The Sandals shuttle takes you to the airport 3 hours early, so it was nice to have a nice place to hang out. Way worth it! Also, bring a insulated mug for the beach. I wish I would have brought a tervis tumbler to hold water and ice. All & all it was a great vacation and we will come back it we need a quick getaway.

Room Tip: Almond Building, club level 3rd floor was fabulous! Quiet, Beautiful room and stocked bar!
2 Thank lucyaf
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Last month, we went on our 5th trip to Jamaica in 7 years ... always at a Sandals resort (except last year, we did Beaches!) This was our 3rd visit to Montego Bay, which has always been our favorite. The others we have visited were Whitehouse and Negril ... each amazing in their own way.

The reason we like Montego Bay is the atmosphere and the staff and I'll just say what I tell everyone else I talk to about the resorts ... Montego Bay is one of the oldest Sandals resorts and the property shows its age in SOME areas, but I find it to be beautiful and well kept. BUT Montego Bay is lively and there is always something to do - especially at night. The crowd is generally younger or at least more active. The Pub at night is my favorite - it turns into a mini-dance club, which is lots of fun! This is in comparison to Whitehouse, which was absolutely breathtaking and 100% top notch but we found ourselves kind of bored at night. It was quieter and more for relaxing than having fun. When we visited Royal Carribean a couple of times, it seems it may be along those same lines, but I could be wrong. My example this time was the beach volleyball game! At MoBay, the playmakers have no trouble getting a big group of young guests ready to play but at RC, they were having trouble convincing guests to get involved and we saw a few reluctant ones agree.

The beach is amazing, the rooms are beautiful ... we always request a 1st floor room in the Grapes building b/c of the location and ability to just walk out towards the pool and beach. The staff is always friendly and fun. We met Nickroy (currently wedding captain) 4 years ago when he was working at the Pub and we are overjoyed every year to see him again! I was sad that we didn't get to spend a lot of time with him this time around b/c of his new position.

Overall, Sandals and Beaches always exceeds our expectations and we will continue our frequent visits for years to come!

Room Tip: 1st floor of the Grapes building is quiet and convenient to beach and pool bar
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamieH6735
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I can't begin to tell you how great a time we had an Sandals MoBay. The grounds are clean very well kept. The staff is constantly working. They really make sure you are having an enjoyable stay. They made you feel like royalty, they would refer to my wife as princess or m' Lady. The word I would use to sum them up is "Professional". we had the "club level ocean view room", which includes the concierge service. Very well worth it. Now we have never been to Jamaica before this but I have to tell you, there's a reason they say "One Love". I was so sad leaving. We've already booked the next Sandals vacation for next year. So Happy.

Room Tip: Ask about purchasing Club Mobay VIP lounge and expedited customs for arriving and departing. Way wor...
3 Thank Mike b
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Me and my friend sayed here for 4 nights following a 3 night stay at secret st james. I preferred Secrets. The service was fine but not great it was just fine nothing outstanding. There is a big hype about Sandals so I was really excited about staying here I thought it was going to have a WOW factor but it did not. The rooms were basic and we had club level. The air con was rubbish and bits were falling off the jacuzzi bath. We had an oceanfront view which was absolutely breathtaking so I did appreciate that. The restaurants had fans but no air con so it was very sticky and sweaty at night. My phone got stolen at the Piano bar and the security and manager were very helpful on trying to locate it for me and a big thankyou for that! however, there was a blind spot in cctv for where it was stolen. the beach acitivities were great and included in the price. We did the sandals reggae cruise which i 100% recommend it was so much fun and was about $90 per person. People complain about the planes being loud but you go here knowing it's right next to the airport and personally i thought it was fun watching them fly over the hotel while swimming in the sea. The food was OK, expected more for a 5 star especially Sandals. The room service was poor they just brought it in and left where as at secrets they served it all out for you stayed in the room had a chat and were very friendly. Basically all the staff in secrets were friendly and had nice conversations with them and i cannot say the same for sandals. I can say I had a lot of fun but just not what I would of expected. I would probably return but for the fun not for the service, cleanliness or standard.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Allana W
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our first experience at Sandal's. My wife and I were celebrating both our birthdays and later had some long time friends join us for their anniversary. I cannot say enough about the resort, the staff, the location or the facility itself! EVERYTHING was top shelf!!! My wife and I have been on many different vacations over the years, but I have to tell you, this was the BEST EVER! You can do as much or as little as you want! the service is so far above the norm and all of the staff seem genuine and sincere. Sandal's? Oh Yeah!! Would go back tomorrow if I could!!! You WILL NOT be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Try to book closer to the main entry Hall. Rooms a little bigger and more convenient.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!