“Paradise Lost”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Recently we returned from a wonderful trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica Sandals resort. This was the best vacation trip to the Caribbean we ever had. The staff at Sandals was the best and made us feel super welcome. Having booked this trip three days before our arrival, a couple things were a bit confused (most likely due to the last minute booking). The manager of the hotel welcome desk sorted everything out and made sure that we were put directly in a beach front bungalow, within the heart of everything and she was marvelous checking on us periodically and making sure we had the most wonderful time, thank you!
I would like like to give kudos also to Romaine, Camile and our friend Beecher who provided the best info and advice about how to make the most of our stay on the resort and the island. Thanks again folks for your marvelous attention to detail and help!
I would like to make a special mention and shout out to Gordon Simms for listening and making sure we felt like one of the family

Thank you and cheers all, Ya Mon!

R. Allen (Diddy) and Susan Ditty

P.S. Special shout out goes out to the entertainment, store, spa, and waiters and waitresses and room staff for making our stay marvelous!

Room Tip: Beachfront Ground Level Ask questions and have a blast!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R Allen D

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I am a travel agent and recently visited Sandals Montego Bay and I thought the service was great, and the beach is the best in this area! What me and my husband really liked about this resort was the staff and that there was ALWAYS something to do on this property. We like to hang out with people and be involved in activities. This resort was perfect for us. Staff that really stood out to us was Manka a staff member at the pub, he was fantastic! We told him it was our honeymoon one night and he was very nice and brought us over cake just because! He went above and beyond with everything he did. Another great staff member that really stood out was Heartlan a playmaker. He was so easy and nice to talk with and he also played pool and ping pong with us. He made us feel like one of his friends and kept us entertained always! He was outstanding and made our trip even more amazing.

One tour that we did that everyone should do is the catamaran (party cruise), it was so worth the money! It took us to Margaritaville and we also went snorkeling. It was the best thing we did on our trip for activities.
I would absolutely recommend this property to anyone wanting to have a great time and being social with people.

Room Tip: We had a Club level room, which has a mini bar in it & room service. I would definitely do this...
2  Thank jackie k
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We went for our 2 year Anniversary trip. Neither of us had ever been to Jamaica or a Sandals resort. We had the best time! We had paid for an upgraded room 2 weeks prior to our trip. When we checked in we were told our room was upgraded, so I figured all was good. We had a great room and we were happy with it, however on day three I was reading the brochure and realized we were not in the level room we paid for.
We went to the front desk with our paperwork showing what we paid for & immediately they apologized and said we needed to be moved to a proper room. I asked about a refund for our nights in a lower grade room. We were told we had to go pack our room and they would figure out something. We ended up getting upgraded further to a deluxe Butler suite. It was Amazing! Huge room, huge en suite, great view - just perfect!!! Our housekeeper was amazing and on our last day came in and gave me a hug - I can't say enough about our trip.
Food - awesome, service - awesome, staff - awesome, everything - awesome!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet trip - at least pay for Club Level. If you want a really romantic secluded trip...
1  Thank Heather N
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My Husband and I have visited Sandals Montego Bay twice and cannot wait to return! Everything about out trips have been amazing. The service is like no other! We love that there is not much of a commute to the airport and enjoyed waving at the planes fly above!

2  Thank Lacy G
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Same feedback we sent to the management at this resort:

We can not praise this place enough it was amazing! Went far beyond our expectations even though we have good friends who have visited numerous times in the past and they told us everything about it before we went.

Food - huge variety right from the breakfast buffet at the Bayside, the lunch buffet offering different cuisines every day, the Stewfish which was our favourite and we went twice, the Cucina Romana Italian, the Gardinier French, the Tokyo Jo's Japanese, the pizza bar, the Mariner Grill with the Jamaican patty's... the list goes on and we were never spoiled for choice, more we had to choose carefully to get them all in!

Drinks - there are plenty of places to get a drink and again the variety was spectacular, from basic to all out fancy cocktails, there is always someone to offer you a drink if you want it

Pools - the private island is so beautiful and has a great swim up pool, the Piano bar pool is also lovely, all have great views of the ocean, and the beach is wonderful - sand not too hot to touch, bay nice and quiet due to the huge sandbar they built to keep it calm... lots of places to take a dip and cool off and ample facilities for towels, loungers, seats and sofas, showers to clean off your feet and sandals

Watersports - we went tubing and snorkelling but there is also free scuba diving, the training was phenomenal we saw them doing it in the pool... also a boat party with a trip to the local Margaritaville (which is an awesome fun place with entertainment and great food). There is a glass bottom boat trip, and catamarans to hire, also windsurfing

Rooms - we were given a room that was better than what we paid for with its own garden, the cleaning service was astounding, room service great when you need help with something... so nice

The people are what made our trip so special. They are phenomenal and we loved them all. In particular we want to thank - Odain, he just started 3wks ago but was already amazing, him and Chester both deserve their certificates greatly. Keylon and Kevon, Whittaker, and Tevin at the bar are all stars, such good cust service, Romain at the Stewfish was wonderful, and Orville our porter was outstanding. Also Pauline our maid deserves a special mention. And Mark at the Cucina... apologies to anyone we forgot!

We already re booked for nxt yr!!! PEACE, LOVE AND RESPECT TO ALL THOSE THAT MADE OUR VACATION SO FANTASTIC!! <3

Room Tip: We had a room in a little separate house right at the end of the resort, its about a 1 min walk to t...
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I went to Sandals as our yearly summer vacation/anniversary. We have been to some AMAZING places in the past since we were lucky enough to have free hotel rooms from my husband's place of work (a luxury hotel chain), and this was the 1st time we really had to lay out a lot of money for a place we weren't SURE we'd love. This is mostly why we sprung for the Butler service, because we had high expectations and wanted to ensure we'd have a great time. And thankfully, we did! I am pretty hard to please (I can admit that...) and have never reviewed a hotel/resort before but had to write one for Sandals MoBay. I'll try to organize my review as best I can...

Food: To be expected from an all-inclusive. Not 5 star fancy cuisine, but definitely easy to find things that you like and since it's all included, you can try as much as you want! As someone who has IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), food when traveling is sometimes stressful for me but the restaurant staff accommodated me beautifully. We ate at 4 different restaurants and all of them were able to do what I requested (for example, grilling fish plain instead of pan-frying, swapping out sides, etc...). The Oleander is a beautiful indoor restaurant and is a MUST, but the other places were good as well. My favorite was probably breakfast at the Bayside Buffet, great variety and selection! Dino's Pizza is awesome as well. And finally, you can get your own nachos and ice cream any time on the beach, self-serve! (Side-note: You can also catch the shuttle to Sandals Royal Caribbean 5 mins away for more restaurants)

Beach: The BEST part of the trip. We have stayed at places in Costa Rica, Mexico, etc. where the beaches are rocky, rough, and uninviting, but this beach was to DIE for. Soft sand, warm clear water, and no crazy waves. It was sunny all 5 days, so I'm not sure if we just got lucky or if it's always that nice. Drink service is constant, even if you don't have a butler there are constantly people walking around and most of them remember you and what you get each day. If you're lucky enough to have Tevin serving you, chat him up, he is hilarious. Watersports on the beach are easy, they have times for each activity each day and you just reserve a spot. We snorkeled and due to the winds and rough surf (they take you farther out on a boat), my husband got a bit nauseous. Another man actually threw up on the boat :-( So maybe not a good idea if you get seasick... But I was glad I did it nonetheless, I did have fun.

Pools/General grounds: We did not use any of the pools. The "main pool" was average size, and had beds and chairs around it that people seemed to claim with their stuff early each morning. We didn't have any interest in the pool simply because the beach was so gorgeous, we didn't want to be anywhere else. There is also a Swim-up Pool bar that we didn't go to but passed every day and it was always very lively and sounded like a lot of fun (but again, we just wanted to be beach bums). The grounds were nice, and were being worked on all day, every day. People worked hard in that heat to make it all look nice, I always felt so bad for them! I'm sure people would find things to complain about but we thought it was nice. There WERE cats walking around but they never bothered us, just laying or going on their way. I imagine if you had a patio and ate out there, they might come up to you but I don't know. And yes the planes fly very low and are a bit loud throughout the day, but people need to get over that. They don't fly over at night, and it's great to have such a quick ride to/from the airport. They also have a fun tradition where everyone needs to wave to the people as the plane passes over.

Room: We stayed in the “Beachfront Hideaway Oversized Butler Village Suite”, in the Beachfront Estate Butler Village. This was away from the “action” so although it was a bit of a walk to the restaurants, it was nice and quiet. The room was large and had a couch, chair, bed, table with chairs, minibar/TV area, big bathroom and balcony. Important note: The bathroom had no door, and neither did the shower. The only thing with a door was where the toilet was. It wasn’t a problem for us but I can see some people maybe wanting more privacy. Also, the ONLY 2 small issues I had were with the room. First, there are tiny ants everywhere. If you put a piece of food down, it was covered with ants in seconds. I sprayed my “Off” around the sink each day which was the only area that was really bad, and I didn’t have much of a problem after that. Our other issue was the room didn’t get cool enough, especially when sleeping. The room was large so maybe that was why, but we had the AC on as low as possible and the fan on high and could only sleep with a sheet. The smaller rooms might be cooler, I don’t know. But we didn’t have trouble sleeping, it was a very comfy bed.

Service: I heard lots of people complaining that the Butler guests got better service, the best tables at restaurants, reserved beach spots, etc.. and I just have one thing to say: GET THE BUTLER SERVICE. I have to mention our amazing butlers, Renay and Shoval. They gave us a phone where they called us and we could call them from 7am-8pm (Renay was daytime and Shoval was nighttime), and they did not disappoint. They really take care of you. We'd tell them a place and time for dinner, and they’d have the best table reserved for us. The 1st night when we got to our table at La Cucina, Shoval even made the servers move us to another table and replace the tablecloth, place settings, etc. because it had some dirt on it. The butlers definitely run the show around there! We had the same beach spot with our cooler of ice water every day. Sometimes we would think "Hmm, I'm hungry" and Renay would call asking if we wanted lunch, like she was reading our minds. Shoval even surprised us with a beautiful lunch in a gazebo one day, white-gloved service and all. On our anniversary Renay prepared special messages on our door mat, in the sand in front of our beach spot, and at night Shoval gave us a private dinner on our balcony, and made a beautiful bath with champagne for when we were done. If you get the butler service, request the team of Renay and Shoval and you won't be disappointed!

Conclusion: Sandals MoBay is a laid-back resort with one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been on. Everything is "No worries, mon" and "One Love", with fist pounds. The staff is happy and accommodating, and the butlers are totally worth it if you use them. The only reason I couldn't give 5 stars is because the ants in the room really bothered me and the temperature of the room was a bit of an issue, as well as the food just being average. But the service, beach, variety of things to do, and overall attitude was just wonderful. We had an amazing 4th anniversary thanks to Sandals Montego Bay! Feel free to contact me with any other questions!

Room Tip: Palms building is front and center of the main beach. They have a beach party at night every Monday...
5  Thank JennieM724
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went to Sandals to celebrate 20th wedding anniversary. Great mix of couples younger and older. Sandals had everything you could want in the form of daytime activities and nightlife. You could also just spend the day soaking in the sun and water. What really set them apart was the first rate service. Everyone was very attentive, especially the wait staff and bartenders. One of the staff, Odeine, was especially friendly and made our stay even better. He greeted us with a great smile every day, and made us feel like he had a genuine interest in making sure we had a great time. Looking forward to getting back next year to hang out at the beach bar and share some laughs with Odeine and Company.

1  Thank Lorie2424
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!