“Another Fabulous Day in Paradise”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sandals Montego Bay is truly like going home for us. There is nothing like stepping off the bus and having Alford shout out your name, which is then followed by a hug and a heart felt "Welcome Home".
We were upgraded to the Palms block on this trip, to be only steps from the beach and so close to all the other resort amenities was a very nice surprise.
The service from the time you wake up until you go to bed is fabulous. Check out the Pub and say hey to Sesno and crew. Chocolate lovers should check out the brownie with ice cream or stop by the Bayside and have Richard get you the chocolate mousse.
I am not a huge spa person BUT the couples massage with Andrea and Jasmine was no less than heavenly and had we had the time, I would have gone back.
If you want to try diving or snorkel the water sports team is one of the best. This trip: Twelve, Termy, Big D, Stewie, and Doc with boat captains Winston and Johnny B took my husband on 12 dives (one was a night dive) The reef is looking fantastic and Lenny took some great pictures.
If you are looking to take a few photos home say hey to my Jamaican daughter Sha-nay-nay in the photo shop. She and all the gang are very patient in pulling up photos to review and helping you select the right shots to capture your best memories/moments at the resort.
Last thing before you go, be sure to see Chaira, Duncan or Kling Kling to book your next trip at the Soon Come Back desk. If they have the complimentary cruise for returning guests I would recommend going as it is lovely tour of the bay.

One of the most impressive things I saw on this trip was Johnny B and one of the water sports girls (whose name I sadly cannot recall) assisting an elderly gentleman with a walker. The gentleman and his wife wanted to utilize one of the floating discs in the swim area. Johnny B moved the disc up near the shore and then he and the young lady took the time to walk this gentleman down beach, with his walker, then assist him into the disc. They then pushed the
disc out into the swim area in the sea (this was no small feet as the weights that keep the discs in place are quite heavy)They then later retrieved him using a "PVC resort wheelchair" which has to be one of the coolest things I ever seen at any resort.
I would have to guess that this was something the gentleman never thought would be possible and it was a moving moment for everyone on the beach that saw it all take place.
This was simply proof of what we have known all along as Sandals returning guests - the Sandals staff will do everything in their power to ensure that every guest has the time of their life.

Room Tip: The Palms block has free wifi, which we had this time. The lower level of the Palms block is well sh...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Cindy W
There are newer reviews for Sandals Montego Bay

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sandals Montego Bay met our expectations. The check-in process went quickly and smoothly. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The beach was one of the best. The food was good. We have no complaints. Every Sandals employee that we encountered went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. A special mention to the entertainment team - Scion, Hartlan, Jasino and Vanni. Also to Sandreka (resort shop), Kareisha (checked us in --not sure of the spelling) and Annakay (housekeeping). The service combined with the facility made for a wonderful vacation. We look forward to returning next year.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Vanodon
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time. Highly recommend the butler service. Everyone is very friendly. Beautiful beach. Jacuzzi tub did not work. Food was good. Even though we were return guests had to ask for an upgrade. Transport to the airport too early 3 hours ahead of departure. General manager did not attend the return guest dinner. Always did in the past. Swim up bar pool could be larger. Butlers were good but have had better.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Supermom011
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful honeymoon here. The beach was gorgeous, and the water was pristine. The food and pina coladas were good, too! We particularly enjoyed the Asian restaurant on the premises.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PittsburghPenguins87
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is the original Sandals property. The service here is impeccable. Sandals knows how to do it right. This property is located almost at the end of the runway in Montego Bay so if you don't like the sound of planes taking off then don't choose Montego Bay choose another location. We didn't mind it at all and actually took several pictures of the planes taking off.

The rooms are very clean and the property is beautiful. No matter where your room is you'll be either looking at the ocean or beautiful landscape. It's not a huge property so everything is within easy walking distance.

The sand is smooth and there are plenty of beach chairs available. There are special cabanas in the water that you can rent if you are on your honeymoon. The special water cabanas are platforms at the edge of the water and have their own waiter that takes care of you with food and drinks so you never have to move if you don't want to get up.

The water is calm and there are round floats that several people can get in to relax in with a drink if you please. The waitstaff frequents the beach to see if you need a drink or a short stroll in either direction is a bar to get a drink.

There are several restaurants to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we have never been disappointed with the quality of the food. There are three properties in Montego Bay and you are allowed to go to all three as a guest. There is a free shuttle that runs every hour between all the properties.

Room Tip: This is a beautiful property and I don't think there is a bad room.
2  Thank chefpeppy
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Okay, my wife and I just stayed at Sandals MB (first time) from July 19th-25th...we really enjoyed the resort and more importantly, the staff!! There were many great folks that we had the pleasure to meet and speak with, however, there were (3) that definitely stood out and went way above and beyond to help make our vacation memorable...so, this shout goes out to Miss Kadian Salmon (a very sweet and kind soul who was always a joy to see and speak with at breakfast), and also, trainees/servers Mr. Mark McKenzie and Mr. Gavin Campbell. We were also fortunate to spend additional time with Miss Salmon our last night at dinner at the Stewfish Restaurant. She is a true asset to Sandals!!!
Now, Whoever at Sandals hired Mark and Gavin for the trainee program needs to be commended. These two men are dedicated servers, a real pleasure to speak with, and we were lucky to have them as our daily servers for breakfast!!! The future of Sandals MB looks bright with Mark and Gavin coming on board.
There were several more employees that we had the pleasure to meet and spend time with that made our trip memorable. The water sports team was polite and professional, and THE STEWFISH management, chefs, and wait staff hold the title for BEST RESTAURANT and BEST TASTING FOOD during our stay....honorable mention also goes out to Cricketer's Pub and Oleander. That being said, I truly think that the sky is the limit for Sandals (and these named employees)...my wife and I even told Kadian, Mark, and Gavin that we plan on visiting other Sandals resorts (we are already booked for LaSource Grenada in 2015!!), and that we hope to one day see them again...Great job Sandals!!! SD

2  Thank SHardman2014
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I just returned from our 5 year anniversary at sandals Montego Bay. For our honeymoon we went to sandals regency la toc in Saint Lucia and it was an amazing vacation with tremendous staff , food, pools and activities so we did our research and we were told by an online sandals rep that sandals Montego Bay is the most active and has the highest guest return rate of any sandals. On the whole our trip was amazing but the resort was not nearly as nice as the one in Saint Lucia and I don't foresee myself ever going back. I never do reviews but I always read them and love the ones that are super detailed because it is obvious the person writing it has put a lot of thought into it so if you have time here are the positives and negatives about the resort:

Concierge - It cost about $100 more a day to have this and although it wasn't perfect we will get again. There was a very nice welcome with air conditioned lobby, cool towels and a delicious welcome drink. They immediately did all our dinner reservations at our resort and Royal Caribbean and brought us to our room. The room had a fully stocked bar, and you can ask for more anytime but it may take a while to get to your room (over an hour).
What we were disappointed about was some of the false promises. We were told there was a special concierge snorkeling trip with drinks on the boat ride back but it was just normal snorkeling trip open to anyone. They also told us we could have late check out or another room on our last day because our flight didn't leave until 7pm but neither happened and they were only at 35-40% occupancy according to staff we were talking to.

Room - We had an oceanfront luxe with balcony and it was such an amazing view. The room itself was nothing too fancy but had a large closet and a good size dresser to store clothes along with a desk and small sitting area. Housekeeping was alright, although they didn't always replace shampoo even when the empty one was in the garbage, and when I called and asked for another it took an hour to bring us one. The toilet was very low flow and the toilet paper very rough. The worst part was the AC didn't work properly and we had to ask every second day for them to reset it. Finally the mattress was very hard (I have had better sleeps at Hampton inn). Overall, considering sandals are considered 5 star accommodations I was very disappointed in the room.

Playmakers - They were very nice and remembered your name, my favourite was Michael. They gave great suggestions of local spots to go out (went to pier one on a Wednesday night which is downtown and it was a great time), called a cab to take us around the city on Independence Day for ($20 each ) Although they didn't work very hard to make events happen, at the regency in Saint Lucia they went around every day and recruited people, here I was told to find people if I wanted pool volleyball to happen and I did in 5 minutes so it was definitely more lack of trying than a lack of interest for why events didn't happen.

Pools- There is no real main pool, the one labeled as such was small and rarely had more than 4 people in it. The pool with the swim up bar was far and only had 6 stools but we never had an issue finding a floaty, a chair or a towel which I was told was an issue at royal Caribbean. I also was disappointed that there was no music playing or anything.

Beach - This was really the highlight of the resort! The beach is private so there are vendors. It very long with nice soft sand and there are lots of loungers in shade and sun. At night people on kayaks tried to sell you shells with weed but you would just say no thank you and security was always patrolling. They do daily fogging to try to reduce bugs but there are still a lot out at night so I got bitten but that's not sandals' fault. On the water they had attached large floaties that were amazing with cup holders.

Land/water sports - There was lots to do, but be careful of the blue "molecule" tube, it is very hard to stay on. For any new activity you want to try they will teach you how (hobie cat, water ski). They had croquet, shuffle board, ping pong, pool, darts. We had visited the Royal Caribbean resort and they had an area for croquet but it wasn't set up and the sprinkler was on their shuffleboard so you couldn't even play there so I was definitely happy that our resort had all this available.

Snorkelling - This was included at 4 different times of the day. we saw 3 different kinds of sting rays, and tons of fish. It was really close to the resort so you'd get to snorkel for 45 minutes and the whole trip only took an hour (in Saint Lucia the snorkelling went to different places and you saw more but it took a lot more of your day)

Excursion - We paid $160 for a full day excursion that went river rafting down the black river, to YS falls, and a tour of Appleton estates. We got picked up at 8:30, our driver was Morrison. He was amazing! The roads are really windy but we never felt sick or scared for our life like we did when we had rented a driver for the day to show us around. At the river our guide used a cat call of some sort to attract a crocodile and then grabbed it and pulled it up so we could have a closer look. We also saw lots of different birds and wildlife. Lunch was provided there which was buffet style and the best fried chicken I've ever had. At YS falls we had a different guide take us up the falls (kind of like dunes falls but better) and he took pictures for us. Signs were posted saying guides are to be reported if they ask for tips so you don't have to but we did because he was amazing. At Appleton estates we got a 40 min tour and then got to be our own bartender and sample as much rum as we wanted but there was no mix so thankfully we'd brought a bottle of coke as a chaser. We still had a 2hr drive back to the resort but we were hungry so Morrison stopped at a side of the road restaurant/bar where we had the best meal of the vacation...authentic jerk chicken and pork with rice, potatoes and bread for $5.

Restaurants - Oleander had amazing lobster but we got seated 30 mins after our reservation time and then waited another 20 mins until anyone came to even give us water or bread. Our server Robert seemed new or overwhelmed so it took forever and we had to skip dessert in order to make the shuttle to margaritaville for the night.
Stew fish was on the beach and had amazing lobster boulibaisse
Cucina romana was our favourite. The service was amazing and the gnocchi was the best I have ever had.
Tokyo Jo's - we only had apps there but the sushi was really good and I wish we'd had a chance to eat there at sunset because the view was amazing
Bayside - the buffet breakfast was pretty good but they often ran out of fresh fruit like papaya and mango. We were a little disappointed the a la carte breakfast was only available 3 days a week. At lunch it was a buffet with a different style cuisine each day and it was really good.
Take advantage of shuttles to the Royal Caribbean because they also have amazing restaurants as well, especially Royal Thai and the Regency Suites.
Sandals select dinner was also very good and they give a free bottle of Appleton rum for returning so make sure you can go to that if you are a returning guest.
There is a beach party on Monday night with a buffet but in Saint Lucia they actually had a pig on a spit roasting so I guess I was expecting a bit more from that night.

Nightlife - This was hit and miss. The piano bar was from 10:30-11:30 and he could play songs you requested but he didn't know the lyrics to most of them. Cricketers would get busy around 11:30 but by busy I mean maybe 5-8 other couples. Each night they did a show of some sort in the main stage area around 8 or 9 and it was usually pretty entertaining with lots of comfy seats.

Gym- There very nice equipment, lots of variety and it was air conditioned. However, they said there would be a trainer there at different times but when I went at those times I never saw a trainer.

Overall, our trip was amazing because of what we made of it. We were a bit disappointed in the level of service considering how much we spent on the resort but we did end up booking sandals Antigua for next August. We want to give sandals one more try because we love the food, activities and the fact there are no children but if it doesn't have a higher standard and level of service than Montego Bay it will be our last sandals.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple