“Best trip ever!!!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were married in August 11 years ago. It was the last year students began school in my district in September. Last school year they changed the calendar so the students begin in September again. We decided to book a vacation at the Sandals Resort in Montego Bay as a recommendation from some friends. I got online and was unsure with my navigation so I clicked on the "chat now" button. Immediately, Payton came on and answered every question and didn't rush me. She was patient and allowed me to search other sites for "cheaper" prices to the resort. I ended up buying our plane tickets from another site but bought the room package through them. Payton asked me if we were celebrating anything and I told her that it is our anniversary and the first time we were able to celebrate it on our actual anniversary day! She put a note on our reservation and was able to upgrade us to a very nice room with a beautiful view of the ocean! She informed me that I could get back and talk to her again if I had any other questions after I was done booking. A couple days later I did have some questions and I did speak with Payton. When I signed on again the site asked me if I wanted to chat with Payton again and I had the option of saying yes or no.
When we arrived we were given lemon infused towels to freshen up and escorted to the club sandals room. We waited a few minutes before another person came and took us to our room and gave us a rundown of a few things the club had to offer and that there would be an official orientation at 11:30 the next morning. We were then left to our own devices. We went to the beach and walked around a bit before sitting down at the grille and having a calzone. (Yummy!) we went back to our room and changed into our swim suits and went for a very refreshing swim in the ocean. When we went back to our room We had dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate waiting for us along with a bottle of champagne. We went to the gift shop where we were greeted by Karma. She was the most fun person ever to work in sales! She told us about a beach party that night (which was a blast!) I picked out a wrap and wore it from that day forward. We went every day to say, "Hi" to her. She always let us know ahead of time of any specials they were going to have in case we were interested. After we had been there a few days She told us that if we book our next vacation we could get up to 65% off. We were curious so she sent us to Chira. He let us talk about what we were thinking and even gave us time to discuss anything we were hesitant about. He got us signed up for the club and that helped take money off the next time we book. He let us decide to make payments and put a down payment on our next trip and answered all the questions we had. We decided to book our next trip for 2 years out! After we were done he gave us a bottle of rum to take back with us! We also met a couple playmakers, Scion and Michael. They made the evenings even more entertaining and fun and always remembered who we were! All the bartenders were wonderful but Jermaine was awesome! He always remembered our drinks and made sure we were having a good time! One day we decided to take a cab off the resort to a local market. Watson was our driver and he didn't just take us and leave us! He gave us a small tour on our way to the market without going a round about way. (We went straight to the market) He explained everything we were seeing! Once we got to the market he waited for us and made sure we felt safe! On our way back I told him I wanted to see a shamamucca (probably spelled it wrong but look it up this plant is amazing!) he said he would find one for me and bring it back after he dropped us off at the resort! He did! But it was already closed up... My husband asked a grounds person and they took us to the employees quarters and showed me one!
We did the booze cruise and had a blast! The captain and crew on the Red Dread for the booze cruise made the excursion fun and unforgettable! We are definitely doing that again! It made this mid-30s couple feel like 20 year olds again! We snorkeled off shore and went to the original margaritaville. You do have to pay for this excursion but I highly recommend you do so if you like to snorkel and dance!
Everyone on the resort greets you and has a smile and they all make great eye contact which
makes you feel genuinely special! We are not not wealthy but we sure felt rich on this trip! We are looking forward to our next trip and to see some of our new friends again! (One thing we especially appreciated was we were able to witness a health fair for the employees of sandals! It was nice to see that this company takes care of their employees and shows genuine interest in their well being!) Ya mon! Irie!

1  Thank Lmlange1018

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Everything about the trip was amazing. We will definitely return to Sandals again.

Food and service were great at every restaurant. The option to check out the two other Sandals resorts close by was great.

The beach was also very nice.

4  Thank MKlee87
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

What a week of relaxation. Where to begin... The staff is terrific, from the bar staff Whitakker and Odaine to the Mike and the rest of the playmakers. I've never met so many nice staff members at a hotel before. The beach is amazing, the food is amazing, the water sports are amazing, this hotel is amazing. We also met many new friends. The whole experience was above and beyond what I could ever have imagined. Can't wait to go back next year!!!

3  Thank kevin k
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We had a wedding at this resort in June with about 25 guest. Anyone ever thinking about doing a destination wedding, do yourself a good service and book with Sandals. They handle everything for you down to the smallest detail. Thanks to Venecia our planner, she was excellent.

Short overview: YES - the resort is close to the airport and yes, you do hear the planes and can wave to the passengers but you get used to it. Heck, a plane took off during my ceremony, no biggie - a quick 20 second pause and back to the show. The plus to the proximity is it only takes 5-10 minutes to get there once you land. Honestly, who wants to take a but over 90 minutes after a long flight anyway? Oh, and by the way sandals has a lounge in the airport where you wait so there is air conditioning and free beer and wine. YES, AND YES!

Arrival and Room - We had a conceirge level so you get perks with that. I would reccommend to anyone there for a wedding or honeymoon as it is nice to have someone who handles all of your needs and reservations. Check in was easy, they feed you and give you rum- so no problems here. Our room was decent but honestly I do not travel to a carribbean resort to stay in my room all day. Way to nice of beach, sand, and sun to care about the room. It was a little dated but I just slept and showered there, thats it. Turn down service and unlimited room service / wifi for concierge levels too - keep that it mind.

The resort is HUGE. Tons of place on the beach, never trouble finding an open chair. Nice pools but thats not my thing, I have pools back home, I do not have crystal blue ocean so I spent my time there. Drinks are a plenty and always easy to get. Red stripe and Red stripe light on draft and all the alcohol you could want.

Food - amazing! we travel to many islands and this food is out of this world. Some places require a reservation. Just ask your butler (if you have one) conceirge, or if you are in a regular just book in advance it wont be a problem. There is always something.

The 3 resorts. Ok, here is the cool thing - We had family stay at the Royal Carribbean so we didnt have to see them a ton since it was our wedding. They shuttle every hour on the hour. The Royal is very nice but a SMALL beach. Has a private island with a nude beach if thats your thing. Great food over there as well but a much much older crowd. If you want fun, and a party like environment stay at Montego Bay. If peace and quiet is what you want go to the Royal Caribbean. We didnt go to the Carlye, saw it by boat...looks small and cheap.

Wedding - It was awesome. My wife posted pics somewhere on here but it was such a wonderful time. We met with Venecia and she gave us a tour of the place and suggested our location for rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception. All were perfect. We went through everything in detail while sipping on champagne at the wedding office. Only took about 2 hours but its soooo easy. I cannot express how at ease they make you. Put it this way, my ceremony was at 4:00 PM... we were at the beach bar at 1:00 PM in bathing suits and realized "Oh, we get married soon, better go get ready" - How many people are that relaxed on wedding day?

Sandals difference - Its hard to put into words. There really is a difference. The staff is so wholesum, friendly, caring and attentive to your needs. I actually felt guilty for how well they treat you. They are very proud to serve you and proud of their jamiacan culture. Writing this makes me want to go back.

We did a booze cruise on the Red Dread which we turned into a club scene as we had many family members in their 20's go. Its awesome... snorkeling, a trip to margartaville, and sailing the carribbean to awesome beats and an electric atmosphere. I have never been so drunk before noon, but hey you cant drink all day if you dont start in the morning.

Overall - I wouldnt have changed a thing and cant wait to go back to Sandals. To the staff (especially the wedding staff: Venecia, Warren, Nicholas, and others I forget but you know who you are). To anyone reading this... you get what you pay for, Yes Sandals is a little more than others, but its worth every penny.

Room Tip: Butler rooms are nice, but you can save money have have same type of services with a conceirge room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KennyPowers55
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you for your review of Sandals Montego Bay, Kenny.
It is always an honor to host these special events and we are thrilled to hear that you had an amazing time! Our Weddingmoon team does an exceptional job at making sure your big day is exactly how you pictured it and you have nothing to worry about! It's fantastic that you were able to spend time with your family and also have private time with just one another..
We cannot wait to welcome you back for more unforgettable moments!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We had the time of our lives! Everything was wonderful.
First let me say that the people in Montego Bay are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. They really make you feel like Jamaica is your second home. Everyone at both resorts we visited ( Royal Carribean is 5 mins away by hotel shuttle) treated us like we were family. We were spoiled to say the least!
We spent a week at Sandals Montego Bay for our honeymoon. We are in our mid 30's and have 5 kids between us, so the adult only resort is amazing. We meet other couples ranging from 20's - 50's tho so there is a really good variety of ages.

We had a butler room that was set up like a duplex w only one other room beside us that we shared a private pool with. Our room was beautiful and spacious and faced the ocean w gorgeous views!! Butler service is a must!!
We had champagne and a cheese plate waiting for us w flowers on our bed spelling out "welcome home" when we arrived. Andrea (best butler ever) handed us a cell phone and said to text or call her for anything we need. She even called us every morning to check in and see what we wanted put in our cooler she set up by our chairs on the beach everyday!

The Beach is breath taking and so are the grounds! Everything is manicured and very clean!! The food is great and there is a very good variety. The views from the Italian restaurant is a must see. If you can, get a reservation for dinner at sunset!!

We loved that you can take a shuttle to their other property's. We choose to check out the Royal Carribean to see the difference and see if we made the right choice. I honestly can say I loved both and would stay at either one.
The best part at Royal Carribean......They have a private island that a boat leaves for every 5 mins. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! It has a great beach shack for lunch, a pool, spa, and awesome hammock chairs on a gazebo in the water. For the adventurous or curious couples, one side of the island has a clothing optional beach. I say check it out!! What are the chances you will ever see the people there again. :-)

Also... If you are thinking of having a couples massage.... DO IT THERE!!
At our resort there is an extra fee to have the massage at an outdoor location verses the spa. If you ask you can do it on the private island where they have you on the massage tables under thatch roofs, the sound of ocean 3 feet from you, and the breeze blowing white sheets all around you. Not only is the setting the most romantic setting you could want but it was by far the best massage either of us ever had!!!! Probably the highlight of our trip!! Oh and no extra fee.

We can't wait to go back!!! The Jamaican people, beaches, and the resort service made this trip stand out and we would definitely recommend Sandals. So much fun!!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room anywhere at this resort! Of course the ocean view was well wor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica H

Thank you for your review, Jessica!
We are thrilled to hear that you had an excellent time on your honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay. There are so many things for our newlyweds to explore together at our resort and the island is filled with romantic vibes- perfect getaway!
Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Awesome place for a relaxing time with your loved one. The most attentive staff I have found at any resort and the butler service is something special not to be missed. All the restaurants have a wonderful selection and would recommend trying them all when at the resort.

Room Tip: Remember on ground floor people walk by all the time.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was the fourth time my wife and I stayed at Sandals Montego Bay. We were considering other Sandals resorts but ended up choosing this one again because we didn't have a lot of time (four nights). One of the biggest plusses of choosing this location is the short trip from the airport. Our flight landed at 12:30 p.m. and we were on the beach within an hour and a half. Overall the service and accommodations were just awesome. Since it was the slower time of year it meant basically no lines and no waiting to get into any restaurants.

The Room: We stayed in the Palms building on the ground level. We love these rooms because they are right next to the action. We love the beach and we are out there first thing in the morning. It is very convenient being able to get right back to the room when you need something or just to use the restroom. It was clean and all the basics were well covered. It was perfectly peaceful and quiet enough for us but if you are looking to be alone you'll want to go down the beach to the butler suites.

The Restaurants: The beach bar food (forget the name) and Dino's pizzeria were just awesome. They have very good food and it is quick and hot. My wife and I had a variety of things during our stay and the quesadilla and pizza were the best. Oleander was pretty good and it was my wife's favorite but hands down my favorite was Stewfish. The morning buffet in the Bayside was pretty good but after four days I was longing for some variety. We also had some snacks and a meal at the Cricketer's Pint and that food was terrific. The onion rings were just perfect and went very well with a Red Stripe. Lastly, the beach party had very good food and the chicken and pork are just awesome. All food was hot and high quality.

The Bars: We took full advantage of the bars and we were perfectly happy with the results. The bartenders were attentive and moved quickly. We loved the drinks at all the bars and we tried a bunch of them. We brought our own insulated mugs which the bartenders would use to make the drinks. That works out really well as the drinks stay colder for longer. We aren't huge drinkers so we stuck to the "beach" drinks but they were all good and refreshing. All the alcohol was top shelf stuff and they drinks were not "watered down" by any stretch.

Watersports: I dove six times while I was there and that was all fine. The people in the watersports hut were helpful and nice. They remembered me from our last visit which was really impressive considering how many people they see. The diving itself was fine for a resort. I spoke to some of the really serious experienced divers and they said there are much better dive locations but I knew that going in. Again, for a resort, this is a good diving experience. Serious divers would likely be a bit disappointed here. Including SCUBA in the cost of the resort is a major plus for us and I hope that Sandals has no plans on ever changing this.

Service: Across the board, all staff members where wonderful. Literally everyone we talked to appeared to be in a good mood and was friendly and talkative. I had conversations with several of them and they were pretty open about how good it is to work for Sandals and how they liked their jobs. It was also impressive to see just how hard people work there. I saw people working late at the night at the beach party and then saw the same people cleaning up the grounds and the beach area at 7:00 a.m. the next morning then saw these same people working until late into the night again. There were so many great staff members but we wanted to call out a few who were so impressive. First of all, Stanrick in the Cricketer's Pint provided us with amazing service and he did a really amazing job. Second, I was really happy with Big D and Lenny in the SCUBA area. They were pleasant and professional and I bought several of the pictures Lenny took of me underwater. His knowledge of aquatic life was a major plus and it was nice having him there to point out different things and talk about them at the surface. Roman was one of the bartenders we talked to the most at the piano bar and he has a great personality for the job. Lastly, Shanay-nay was as pleasant as ever and we talked to her a few times. She is a very pleasant and nice young lady who is a real asset for Sandals.

Room Tip: Rooms that are more centrally located are really convenient to both the beach activities and all the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!