“Out of the snow and into the sun”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Silver Lake, Ohio
“Out of the snow and into the sun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Booked the jr butler suite, well worth the little bit extra for the room, view and butler service. Food was excellent at all the restaurants. Try the traditional Jamaican breakfast, it was so good i had it twice. Drinks at all the bars were a good pour. Beach service was excellent. Traveled to the Royal Caribbean resort, enjoyed the evening entertainment, thought it was a little better than at our resort.
In regards to the planes, there is some noise, but overall not that bad. Plus you are at the resort in less than 10 minutes after you leave the Sandals reception area.

Room Tip: Go for the butler suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Simpson75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
Banbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The airport is the other side of the road, other people on trip adviser did warn about this, but it literally and I stress is on the other side of the road, and every plane that takes off you hear - to be honest this is the only negative, and as others suggest, it really does not affect the holiday, but is an unfortunate shock when we arrived

Service was amazing, particularly Kadeen on the front desk who actually used a shuttle bus to transport the adapter we wanted, which was above and beyond her job!, and Romaine the intern who crated a cocktail for me, and remembered for the whole of my time there, and every time I went to the bar had one ready for me. This goes for all the staff on the main bar! one of them even suggested alcohol I had not yet tried, when he noticed I was trying to have one of everything.

Entertainment crew were amazing and had some real get up and enjoy yourself activities for everyone to enjoy, Jasino really spent time learning peoples names, calling you morning, noon and night asking if you where having a good time, and what you had been up to, and was always happy and encouraging.

the rooms where spacious, and clean, we went for the Caribbean room view, and it was well worth it, being so close, having an amazing sunset every night. food was beyond fantastic, and I think we put on a stone eating it - worth it! also they offer a free shuttle to any other sandals which was nice as well

3 Thank Shaun S
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Sandals was a dream vacation. We were in an Oversized Butler Suite, beachfront.
We loved the room, view, and people. The staff was amazing including our butlers, Mykal and Nasha, the entire entertainment staff, and all the staff in the many restaurants we ate in.
The room had little surprises left at night for turndown and every day out spot on the beach was reserved !
Entertainment staff knew our names and acknowledged us with shout outs. Everyone worked to make it a special vacation for us! All inclusive was the way to go here. From DJ's to music to modeling the party was on.
There was peace and quiet too when we wanted it. To Sandals, at Montego Bay I give all the stars!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allura17055
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Before I start this review I need to provide a bit of context...

...my husband and I made the extravagant decision to stay at two Sandals resorts (for two weeks each) from 01.08.14 until 29.08.14. We married at Sandals Negril on 10.08.14. We then checked in to this resort on 15.08.14. When you plan a holiday like this (which was definitely once in a lifetime), you're bound to draw comparisons between both Sandals properties. All I can do is apologise in advance for this.

I believe Sandals Negril spoilt us, regarding our room upgrade. Sandals MB also gave us a complimentary upgrade but, due to the age of this resort, the decor of the room left a lot to be desired. The view, from our balcony was, however, breathtaking! We requested moving to a more up to date room approx. 2-3 days into our stay at SMB (Sandals Montego Bay) but our receptionist advised us that none of the rooms have been renovated unlike SN (Sandals Negril). However, I complained on the 7th night as we had been invested by bugs for the third time. The management were very quick to organise relocation and a further complimentary upgrade. This room was lovely. Although there was no butler service (I believe we were the second grade from the top), we received yet another breathtaking view with a bigger balcony; a jacuzzi and shower; a bar and room service. This room definitely made our holiday. As we chose this resort for our honeymoon, and not our wedding, by the 4th week we avoided the heat of the sun and spent more time in the room...which was gorgeous. I want to stress though that the long beach is absolutely gorgeous although THE ENTIRE RESORT IS DIRECTLY ON A FLIGHT PATH. If you live near Heathrow or Gatwick, back home, this may not bother you but it certainly ruffled my feathers and I sincerely wish our travel agent emphasised this before we booked this.

Moving on from room upgrades...

Entertainment

A very fun filled schedule but Brits (who tend to visit for a 14 nighter, due to our long flight - unlike the Americans) may become thoroughly bored by the 2nd week as all the entertainment staff do is simply rotate the same schedule on a weekly basis. Despite this, the professional dancers were absolutely sublime and, if you like Strictly Come Dancing, you will LOVE the entertainment! There's a lot to do for everyone as, after the formal show, you can either disco at the authentic British pub (called the Cricketers) or sing with the piano man at the piano bar which is located on the beach with a pool attached. If you choose the latter, take your swimwear as you may end up drinking in the pool at night.

Water sports

We really didn't exploit this complimentary service enough so make sure you take advantage of the glass bottom boat tour and the tubing!

You're are simply spoilt for choice as there are more restaurants to choose from at Sandals Royal Carribean which is a free shuttle bus ride away. Catching the boat to the Thai restaurant, on the private island, is very romantic and an absolute must! But do book this reservation well in advance! I found SRC (Sandals Royal Carribean) to be better on customer service than our home resort: SMB. However, I think SMB extends to a younger clientele and a very different audience. They have a pizzeria and a burger joint you can access pretty much all the time. The service, however, at Tokyo Jo's is pretty awful. The Carribean restaurant service at SMB is amazing especially from our waiter Robert. My husband is of Jamaican descent and the reservations team ordered in food, the same day we booked, for our Carribean meal that same night!

As Jamaica has a high crime rate, I do not advise anyone stepping off the property unless you've booked a tour with your island routes consultant or, you speak Patua fluently and you can convince the locals that you're local yourself!

Overall, SMB is a party place with quite a few DIY dining options. If you want a bit of finesse, hop over to SRC. Out of all three Sandals resorts, I do prefer Sandals Negril - I have written a separate review about about this one.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time visiting Sandals Carlyle. It is actually an Inn with only 50 rooms and no...
6 Thank Jessica G
tomball texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I would give this place a five, if the property was newer. Everything is really dated, but they work hard to keep everything looking good. We went during hurricane season, so there seemed like there were more employees than guests. All the restaurants had great food and there was never a wait. There was basically no entertainment. We had an ocean front room, but changed to a beach front. We wanted a second story for safety and the view. We could see the entire beach from our balcony. They groomed the beach in the morning and evening. It always look nice. We both took insulated glasses and it was great to have a lid on our drinks at the beach, plus they filled our glasses which were larger than what they passed their drinks out in. Take sunscreen, it is really expensive in the gift shop. There are no magazines, books, etc sold in the gift shop, but they have a game room where you can get board games or borrow a book. Not much of a selection, but they probably have something you can read. We took a couple of cheap air mattresses and they were great to use while in the water at the beach. The airport really is right next to the resort. Yes, you can hear the planes take off, but it wasn't bad. There aren't that many taking off every day. Every employee at the resort was really nice. This place might not be a five star resort, but I don't think you could find better service anywhere. My husband did the scuba diving and said that Sandals did an outstanding job. The dives were beautiful and he said you could see the bottom in fifty feet of water.

5 Thank 9889okla
Fairborn, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This place is PARADISE!!!! My husband and I just got home from a wonderful stay at Sandals Montego Bay. We stayed there August16th-23rd 2014. We chose to have our wedding and honeymoon there just the two of us.
When we first booked we spoke with the wedding coordinator she was wonderful with all the details and answered all our questions. From the time we arrived at the airport we felt like royalty. Once at the resort I immediately felt like a princess. Everyone is so very nice. The food was great and the whole entire property is gorgeous and very clean. The bar staff is wonderful and make you feel like they have known you for years.
The whole entire wedding staff was absolutely amazing and I felt like I was the only bride there. The one person whom really touched mine and my husbands heart was Warren with the wedding staff. We felt he went above and beyond. Even after our wedding when he seen us he talked to us and remembered our names.
We took two excursions during our stay which was horse back riding and the catamaran snorkeling cruise. Both were nice but, the catamaran was by far the favorite. Everyone was great and really knew how to interact with everyone and make it a lot of fun. We stopped at Margaritaville which was a blast I recommend going down the slide.
We would recommend this resort to everyone even if you are not getting married. Just an amazing place.

Room Tip: We were in ocean front by beach bar. Loved it!!!!
2 Thank Amy A
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were married in August 11 years ago. It was the last year students began school in my district in September. Last school year they changed the calendar so the students begin in September again. We decided to book a vacation at the Sandals Resort in Montego Bay as a recommendation from some friends. I got online and was unsure with my navigation so I clicked on the "chat now" button. Immediately, Payton came on and answered every question and didn't rush me. She was patient and allowed me to search other sites for "cheaper" prices to the resort. I ended up buying our plane tickets from another site but bought the room package through them. Payton asked me if we were celebrating anything and I told her that it is our anniversary and the first time we were able to celebrate it on our actual anniversary day! She put a note on our reservation and was able to upgrade us to a very nice room with a beautiful view of the ocean! She informed me that I could get back and talk to her again if I had any other questions after I was done booking. A couple days later I did have some questions and I did speak with Payton. When I signed on again the site asked me if I wanted to chat with Payton again and I had the option of saying yes or no.
When we arrived we were given lemon infused towels to freshen up and escorted to the club sandals room. We waited a few minutes before another person came and took us to our room and gave us a rundown of a few things the club had to offer and that there would be an official orientation at 11:30 the next morning. We were then left to our own devices. We went to the beach and walked around a bit before sitting down at the grille and having a calzone. (Yummy!) we went back to our room and changed into our swim suits and went for a very refreshing swim in the ocean. When we went back to our room We had dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate waiting for us along with a bottle of champagne. We went to the gift shop where we were greeted by Karma. She was the most fun person ever to work in sales! She told us about a beach party that night (which was a blast!) I picked out a wrap and wore it from that day forward. We went every day to say, "Hi" to her. She always let us know ahead of time of any specials they were going to have in case we were interested. After we had been there a few days She told us that if we book our next vacation we could get up to 65% off. We were curious so she sent us to Chira. He let us talk about what we were thinking and even gave us time to discuss anything we were hesitant about. He got us signed up for the club and that helped take money off the next time we book. He let us decide to make payments and put a down payment on our next trip and answered all the questions we had. We decided to book our next trip for 2 years out! After we were done he gave us a bottle of rum to take back with us! We also met a couple playmakers, Scion and Michael. They made the evenings even more entertaining and fun and always remembered who we were! All the bartenders were wonderful but Jermaine was awesome! He always remembered our drinks and made sure we were having a good time! One day we decided to take a cab off the resort to a local market. Watson was our driver and he didn't just take us and leave us! He gave us a small tour on our way to the market without going a round about way. (We went straight to the market) He explained everything we were seeing! Once we got to the market he waited for us and made sure we felt safe! On our way back I told him I wanted to see a shamamucca (probably spelled it wrong but look it up this plant is amazing!) he said he would find one for me and bring it back after he dropped us off at the resort! He did! But it was already closed up... My husband asked a grounds person and they took us to the employees quarters and showed me one!
We did the booze cruise and had a blast! The captain and crew on the Red Dread for the booze cruise made the excursion fun and unforgettable! We are definitely doing that again! It made this mid-30s couple feel like 20 year olds again! We snorkeled off shore and went to the original margaritaville. You do have to pay for this excursion but I highly recommend you do so if you like to snorkel and dance!
Everyone on the resort greets you and has a smile and they all make great eye contact which
makes you feel genuinely special! We are not not wealthy but we sure felt rich on this trip! We are looking forward to our next trip and to see some of our new friends again! (One thing we especially appreciated was we were able to witness a health fair for the employees of sandals! It was nice to see that this company takes care of their employees and shows genuine interest in their well being!) Ya mon! Irie!

• Stayed August 2014