“Beyond our expectations”

Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
McCall, Idaho
“Beyond our expectations”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We booked Sandals Montego Bay as our honeymoon. I am one to read reviews and majority of the reviews were great and had nothing but wonderful comments about the resort but there were a few that were a bit negative, mostly about the safety of being in Jamaica, this worried me a bit. When we arrived to Sandals we were welcomed by a wonderful staff, given a cold towel to cool down with as well as a drink of our choice. There was not one time throughout this trip that I felt unsafe, although we did not leave the resort other then to go to Sandals Royal Caribbean.

We were upgraded to an ocean view room with a balcony which was fabulous. Rooms were turned down every night and cleaned everyday (unless you did not want them to be). Very good housekeeping team. We did use the safe for our special belongings and never once felt unsafe about them.

The resort has lots of activities, shows, enternainent going on each night wether you want to go watch them or hang out at the piano bar and have some drinks. There is a lot to do, snorkeling was wonderful and I would recommend it to everyone. Lots of water sports to do and extras (depending on how much money you want to spend)

The food was amazing, every restaurant was great. Only two of them need reservations which was easily made. Our favorite restaurant was Stew Fish, great staff, service, location and wonderful food. The Mariner Grill is also great for a lunch or a late night snack.

All in all this trip was wonderful with an amazing staff, great food, lots to do, relaxing, beautiful and everything and more we wanted for our honeymoon. I would definitely give this resort a 5 star review.

Room Tip: Upper levels have Wifi included (watch for which one does and which one does not)
1 Thank Abates2014
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing honeymoon with us. We always strive to go above and beyond to please our guests and I'm glad we were able to meet that goal during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,245)
abq
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from Sandals Montego Bay, we had a fabulous time. Great food, great wine and new fun activities but what really makes this resort shine are the people. Every single employee not only greets you but ask are you having a good day, are you enjoying your day or are you enjoying your vacation. Every employee makes you feel as if it is their personal responsibility to ensure you have a wonderful vacation and will do anything within their power for you. I was AMAZED. I have travel to most corners of this world and I am not easily amazed. I have to make a call out to Carl, who showed us to our room, Courtney our waiter at the Italian restaurant and Tamara our waitress at Oleanders, you guys are the best of the best. Thank You Sandals Montego Bay for going the extra mile. Can't wait to come home, again. Katherine and Daniel Green

1 Thank peagreenAbq
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at this resort in December 2013 on business while touring various Sandals properties in Jamaica. It is important to note that this resort is literally across the street from the Montego Bay airport, which for some isn't a nuisance, but if you are sensitive to airplane noise, this may not be the best resort for you. Personally, it didn't bother me at all, but I did hear fellow guests complaining about it.

The resort is well maintained, but lacks a great luster that some of their other properties have. While staying in a Butler suite, I received the best service and stayed in one of their nicest rooms on the resort. Even with the butler amenities, I didn't find the resort deserving 5 stars. There are some luxurious elements missing from the resort that one may find included in a non-Sandals property. However, the one thing that Sandals does well is they serve their guests and include a lot of extras. The water sports are included, and I had the chance to take advantage of a free snorkel trip that included the free equipment rental. Other activities like: hobie cat rentals, snorkeling, scuba and many more are complimentary with Sandals.

The food is average and not anything that stands out and, yet not horrible. Sandals isn't known for the best cuisine in the all-inclusive industry, but they do offer several different cuisine options like Thai, Japanese, British, and a variety of others.

While this resort is not my personal favorite in the brand, it is a decent option if airport noise is not a concern.

Room Tip: Pay for the Butler category. You will have the best level of service!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gjscraftygirl
Silver Lake, Ohio
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Booked the jr butler suite, well worth the little bit extra for the room, view and butler service. Food was excellent at all the restaurants. Try the traditional Jamaican breakfast, it was so good i had it twice. Drinks at all the bars were a good pour. Beach service was excellent. Traveled to the Royal Caribbean resort, enjoyed the evening entertainment, thought it was a little better than at our resort.
In regards to the planes, there is some noise, but overall not that bad. Plus you are at the resort in less than 10 minutes after you leave the Sandals reception area.

Room Tip: Go for the butler suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Simpson75
Banbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The airport is the other side of the road, other people on trip adviser did warn about this, but it literally and I stress is on the other side of the road, and every plane that takes off you hear - to be honest this is the only negative, and as others suggest, it really does not affect the holiday, but is an unfortunate shock when we arrived

Service was amazing, particularly Kadeen on the front desk who actually used a shuttle bus to transport the adapter we wanted, which was above and beyond her job!, and Romaine the intern who crated a cocktail for me, and remembered for the whole of my time there, and every time I went to the bar had one ready for me. This goes for all the staff on the main bar! one of them even suggested alcohol I had not yet tried, when he noticed I was trying to have one of everything.

Entertainment crew were amazing and had some real get up and enjoy yourself activities for everyone to enjoy, Jasino really spent time learning peoples names, calling you morning, noon and night asking if you where having a good time, and what you had been up to, and was always happy and encouraging.

the rooms where spacious, and clean, we went for the Caribbean room view, and it was well worth it, being so close, having an amazing sunset every night. food was beyond fantastic, and I think we put on a stone eating it - worth it! also they offer a free shuttle to any other sandals which was nice as well

3 Thank Shaun S
University Park, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Sandals was a dream vacation. We were in an Oversized Butler Suite, beachfront.
We loved the room, view, and people. The staff was amazing including our butlers, Mykal and Nasha, the entire entertainment staff, and all the staff in the many restaurants we ate in.
The room had little surprises left at night for turndown and every day out spot on the beach was reserved !
Entertainment staff knew our names and acknowledged us with shout outs. Everyone worked to make it a special vacation for us! All inclusive was the way to go here. From DJ's to music to modeling the party was on.
There was peace and quiet too when we wanted it. To Sandals, at Montego Bay I give all the stars!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allura17055
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Before I start this review I need to provide a bit of context...

...my husband and I made the extravagant decision to stay at two Sandals resorts (for two weeks each) from 01.08.14 until 29.08.14. We married at Sandals Negril on 10.08.14. We then checked in to this resort on 15.08.14. When you plan a holiday like this (which was definitely once in a lifetime), you're bound to draw comparisons between both Sandals properties. All I can do is apologise in advance for this.

I believe Sandals Negril spoilt us, regarding our room upgrade. Sandals MB also gave us a complimentary upgrade but, due to the age of this resort, the decor of the room left a lot to be desired. The view, from our balcony was, however, breathtaking! We requested moving to a more up to date room approx. 2-3 days into our stay at SMB (Sandals Montego Bay) but our receptionist advised us that none of the rooms have been renovated unlike SN (Sandals Negril). However, I complained on the 7th night as we had been invested by bugs for the third time. The management were very quick to organise relocation and a further complimentary upgrade. This room was lovely. Although there was no butler service (I believe we were the second grade from the top), we received yet another breathtaking view with a bigger balcony; a jacuzzi and shower; a bar and room service. This room definitely made our holiday. As we chose this resort for our honeymoon, and not our wedding, by the 4th week we avoided the heat of the sun and spent more time in the room...which was gorgeous. I want to stress though that the long beach is absolutely gorgeous although THE ENTIRE RESORT IS DIRECTLY ON A FLIGHT PATH. If you live near Heathrow or Gatwick, back home, this may not bother you but it certainly ruffled my feathers and I sincerely wish our travel agent emphasised this before we booked this.

Moving on from room upgrades...

Entertainment

A very fun filled schedule but Brits (who tend to visit for a 14 nighter, due to our long flight - unlike the Americans) may become thoroughly bored by the 2nd week as all the entertainment staff do is simply rotate the same schedule on a weekly basis. Despite this, the professional dancers were absolutely sublime and, if you like Strictly Come Dancing, you will LOVE the entertainment! There's a lot to do for everyone as, after the formal show, you can either disco at the authentic British pub (called the Cricketers) or sing with the piano man at the piano bar which is located on the beach with a pool attached. If you choose the latter, take your swimwear as you may end up drinking in the pool at night.

Water sports

We really didn't exploit this complimentary service enough so make sure you take advantage of the glass bottom boat tour and the tubing!

You're are simply spoilt for choice as there are more restaurants to choose from at Sandals Royal Carribean which is a free shuttle bus ride away. Catching the boat to the Thai restaurant, on the private island, is very romantic and an absolute must! But do book this reservation well in advance! I found SRC (Sandals Royal Carribean) to be better on customer service than our home resort: SMB. However, I think SMB extends to a younger clientele and a very different audience. They have a pizzeria and a burger joint you can access pretty much all the time. The service, however, at Tokyo Jo's is pretty awful. The Carribean restaurant service at SMB is amazing especially from our waiter Robert. My husband is of Jamaican descent and the reservations team ordered in food, the same day we booked, for our Carribean meal that same night!

As Jamaica has a high crime rate, I do not advise anyone stepping off the property unless you've booked a tour with your island routes consultant or, you speak Patua fluently and you can convince the locals that you're local yourself!

Overall, SMB is a party place with quite a few DIY dining options. If you want a bit of finesse, hop over to SRC. Out of all three Sandals resorts, I do prefer Sandals Negril - I have written a separate review about about this one.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time visiting Sandals Carlyle. It is actually an Inn with only 50 rooms and no...
6 Thank Jessica G