“7th trip to Mobay and still loving it.”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 14 April 2007

This year it was our 7th trip to Sandals Mobay travelling from England we always stay for two weeks . Once again we met up with all our friends who we have met at the resort over the years. Sandals is about the people, both staff and guests.The restaurants are good and you can dine around at the two other Sandals hotels nearby.The rooms are very comfortable and the beach is the best. There will always be aspects of any resort that you dont quite like but we have always said to the people we have taken with us over the years, enjoy what you like and ignore what you dont. They are catering for so many different tastes. If we were all the same life would be boring. I would also say yes there is aircraft noise but it does not bother.This is a lively resort if you want peace and quiet go to Sandals Royal. Please remember that Jamaica is a third world country so some things dont happen as quickly as some people demand. Your on holiday so it does not matter.We are planning to return again next year and all our friends who have travelled with us before have asked to join us. Mobay has so many returning guests we can't all be wrong. Be laid back and enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank squashboy

Reviewed 14 April 2007

Our trip to Montego Bay's Sandals Resort was our first all inclusive trip. We both found it to be the best value because we didn't have to concern ourselves with a budget. Our stay was beyond anything we could have imagined. The resort staff was absolutely the best in every thing we did. We loved the food and the different variety of food they had to offer. We loved all the different activities they had to offer too. The excusions were equally as fun and affordable. We can't wait to return to another Sandals resort.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank soccermom33Nebraska
Reviewed 14 April 2007

We chose this resort for our 10 th wedding anniversary, and we had a fantastic time. We had read about the planes taking off nearby, but after the first day, you hardly notice them. In fact, we were looking for them to take photos.
The staff was the best we've seen in our travels. They went out of their way to get to know us personally, and went the extra mile to make our stay wonderful. Everyone was friendly and smiling, and always helpful.The entertainment staff, especially Ann Marie, was great, lots to do if you want, or you can just relax on the beach.
Compared to other Sandals resorts, this one is more lively and there is more live entertainment in the evenings.
The beach was great, well maintained, and the included snorkelling trips were fun. Lots of other free watersports too.
The Sandals tour desk staff were excellent, and went out of their way to ensure you were satisfied with your tours and excursions.
The food was delicious, good variety. Take a dressy casual outfit with you, as a couple of the restaurants have a dress code, no men's open toe sandals. Tokyo Joe restaurant food was just so so, not actually Japanese food, despite the name. The beach grill restaurant at lunchtime was great, as were all the other restaurants there.
The resident photographers take your photos and you can choose which ones you want to purchase or not. This was a great service as it's difficult to take photos of yourselves as a couple. We found Devon, a photographer there, very friendly and helpful.
We loved our week at Sandals Montego Bay, and would go back there in a flash. It was romantic, and laid back or lively...whatever you are in the mood for.
Very highly recommended...you won't be disappointed !

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank naloe
Reviewed 14 April 2007

WE spent out honeymoon there. It was our second visit and we loved it just as much the second time around. The resturants and nite life was great! Hospitialy was even better. We told them we were celebrating our honeymoon and they upgraded our room. It was just a very pleasant expereince and everyone was like if you want something "No Problem" everything is "No Problem" and you really start relaxing and thinking I've been stressing to long relax .. mon.. No problem mon! Live and enjoy life! and we did! I"d highly recommend it, Rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank liznatl
Reviewed 11 April 2007

We are anxiuosly awaiting for our next trip to SMB on April 22. This will be our 10th trip. We've met some wonderful guests from all over the world and it's been great to share all our experiences with other guests, new and Returnees. We find the staff very friendly and aim to please. They've always gone out of their way for us and other guests to make sure their stays are pleasant. We are very proud that we have also earned our silver and gold sandals and used our free week last Sept. The Returnee's Guest dinner, which is held on Tue. nights, gives us and the guests a chance to appauld everyone for all their accomplishments. Most all guests are very willing to answer questions for all the first timers and remind them to sign up for those SSG Pts. There's also been a lot of rennovations done recently to the cottages, DeLuxe Rooms and the Cucina. Hope to check these all out on our next rip.

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank tekeere
Reviewed 9 April 2007

We have just returned from 5 nights at Sandals Montego Bay. It was a fantastic trip! At the airport the royalty treatment started with a lounge to go to get beverages and use the bathroom before you boarded
the bus to the resort. When we got to the reosrt, they upgraded our room. This is very common if they have open rooms, and they don't charge you extra for it. The food was escellent. We highly recommend Cocina Romana (Italian), The Oleander (Jamaican) and The Okay Corral (Tex Mex) for dinner. Make reservations for Cocina Romana the night you arrive. They fill up quick! We would recommend at least 2 nights there as they are the best! All dinners are 5 course meals, so start getting in shape now, and plan on working out in the fun, open-aired gym while you're there! We did two excursions. We did the morning bamboo raft ride on the Martha Brae River. This was amazing...a must! It was VERY peaceful, and our tour guide Wayne was very knowledgeable and personable. We learned a lot about Jamaica from this. We also did a day trip to Negril. We spent several hours at Sandals Negril (also, VERY nice resort), went shopping at "Times Square" (typical souveniers...), shopped with the local lady down the
road name Faye (our tour guide Dalton took us to her and she HAD beautiful handmade jewelry and wooden pieces...save your money for her), jumped off 30+ foot cliffs (FUN!), and watched the sunset! This was a great day! We did several watersport activities at Sandals MoBay. The snorkling and sailing were the best! This was our first time snorkling, and it was better than expected. Take an underwater camera and talk people with you to do it! We would love to
go back as Sandals always has something going on, but you can also have quiet, relaxed time. The people are willing to go above and beyond for whatever you need. It really is a "No problems" attitue. You will have a great time if you go here.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 April 2007

If you loved your vacation, say "Yay 'mon!"
YAY 'MON!

I read about 200 reviews on here eight different ways from Sunday for the months leading up to our trip and the things that helped me make the best of my trip were 2 things: 1. being mentally prepared for the average food and airplane noises and 2. knowing to make all the dinner reservations the moment we got there.

To get an idea of our frame of mind, my husband and I have been married 4 years and we have a 3.5 year old and an 8 month old. We're young but very tired people. Also my husband is so shy, bordering on anti-social so I was a little worried before we went how "party-ish" SMB was going to be.

Armed with the info I got from this site, we were able to make our belated honeymoon the vacation we wanted.

We vacationed April 1-7. Flew NWA down there with no incident and got through Immigration and Customs with no problems. Once we migrated into the main hall where all the resort rooms were, it was a little chaotic. But Sandals found us and we got to go to the bathroom and grab a quick beer before being rushed out to the street to wait for out bus. I was all prepared with my $1s to tip the luggage man (FYI they won't make change) and we got on the bus and dropped off at Sandals Royal and then MoBay.

We booked a Honeymoon Waters Edge Conceirge Room so they pulled us aside (we thought we were in trouble. ha!) and taken to check in in the conceirge lounge with cool towels and drinks. I was a little put off the first day cause a few people we encountered have done their speechs a hundred times-- and you could tell! They almost seemed bored, but after that first day, the mood seemed to change and everyone was very friendly.

Now by topic...
FOOD-This isn't "cuisine" by any means, it tasted like food I'd cook at home with some exceptional items (Olenander Room) and some not so good items (soggy nachos and desserts) but it will feed you and it's not BAD.

Our best experience here was Olenandar Room beacause it's Jamaican food and so they really know what they're doing. Exceptional service, beautiful setting, our favorite dinner!
Our worst experience was at the Royal Thai. From being given no dirrection once we got off the bus, to wiating for the boat, to being seated next to a construction site (see our photos) to having to wait over an hour for the next shuttle back to MoBay (they run hourly, except for 8pm so we waited in the lobby from 7:15 til 9 pm after our 6 pm dinner - and the entertainment office was closed so we couldn't grab a board game!) It was the worst evening, but we chatted with each other and made the best of it.

ENTERTAINMENT- We participated in lots of events towards the end of our trip... volleyball (pool/beach), mixology (Antonio, I'm still laughing!), and beach olympics. But we weren't told what we do with the points we earned so I never got my leather sandals. there were always things going on all night but we were in bed by 9 every night (see above... we're TIRED)

BEACH/WATER SPORTS - LOVED LOVED LOVED the beach and water sports. Could always find a chair to sit on, the water was lovely, never had to wait too long at the bar. We could easily keep an eye on the water crafts to see when one was available. Also never had to wait for snorkling (sign up for 9,11, or 1 pm daily outing they have all the gear), wind surfing lesson (9:30 and 2 with Bone Crusher!) ski tubing, or whatever its called - see photo. This was the highlight of our trip! If you are looking for the best Sandals beach in Jamaica... MoBay has it hands down!

EXCURSIONS- We did the horse back ride and it was nice if you like it. about 45 min around the local hills and then wait 20 min as they take a 50 person group out in 10s around the cove for the water segment (less than 5 min) only 10 horses have the balance to do it so not everyone can go at once. made the best of this too but found it a bit deceiving for the $ we paid.

SPA-Was wonderful! HIGHLY reccommend the Champagne Celebration for Two It was BLISSFUL and a wonderful bonding experience for me and my husband. one thing: don't get sunburned before a massage... ow. If you do, my husband reccommends the Water Lily Wrap. Feels great on burned skin!
Also got my hair braided... got the half braids in front and paid $60... so careful its expensive. Also if you only want a few, make sure you are firm on that. The girl sitting behind me only wanted 4 on one side and they did they whole top and tried to charge her more and wouldn't stop. Saw her later and it sounds like she negotiated them down cause she told them like 10 times she only wanted 4-5. And these ladies worked for the resort!

Hmm what else...
oh how could I forget...
AIRPLANES - as we were taxing in I was scared cause I saw the resort from the plane, but everyone on here is right... you get used to it. If you want to get mad about it, you can. It is loud enough that you have to stop talking, but it goes by so fast. I was actually more annoyed by them when we were at the Royal because although a little quieter, it took 5 times as long for them to pass so each plane noise over there was 15-20 sec while at MoBay, I never got to 5. I thought about writing this review while I was there and so I took note, I never heard a plane before 8 am or after 9pm. Also they seemed to come in 3s. 3 would take off right after each other and then an hour or 2 would go by before another trio or quad would go up. and sure enough we wave!

All in all we had a lot of fun. As we asked ourselves at the end, would we do this again... Jamaica: YES, Sandals: YES, Montego Bay: Only after we check out the other locations... but definately stay at a Sandals again and we did love our vacation. It is what you make of it! Ignore the bad and absorb the good!

Please feel free to email me, seriously if you and ANY questions before you travel! This site helped me, I hope I can help you!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!