“Wonderful Resort/Public Beach”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Carlyle for our Honeymoon. The room we stayed in was nothing fancy but was clean and comfortable. We really enjoyed the intimacy of this resort. The staff remembered who you were and were always very friendly. We are in our mid twenties which was not the ages of the majority of other guests there but we did not mind. There seemed to be a lot of older couples and maybe a handful of younger couples on their honeymoon. We enjoy the party atmosphere sometimes but also enjoy smaller venues. That was probably the the thing we most enjoyed about this resort. We could go to the largest resorts and beaches during the day or night as we felt. Then we could come back to a smaller, not so busy resort and just relax. The shuttles to the other resorts are included and come to each resort every hour. We were able to enjoy the other beaches, restaurants, and activities at Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean. Some of the restaurants you need reservations for so we made sure to book those shortly after arriving. We also did do some of the excursions which we really enjoyed besides many of the tour guides begging for tips. Overall our stay was excellent. I put it down as just very good since we were disappointed that it had no private beach. Maybe I overlooked it but I thought when we booked it said it had a private beach. The public beach is very small and across the street from the resort. We did not utilize the beach at our resort at all since anytime we attempted to go the natives would pester us to buy goods from them. The bartenders we had most often were Delroy and Lamar. They were wonderful and very personable. The manager, Kwashie, was always checking in to make sure we were enjoying our stay and seeing if there was anything else we needed. We were blown away with how friendly all of the staff were. We would definitely go back again.

1  Thank Kristin M
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

We're happy that you and your husband enjoyed a romantic honeymoon at Sandals Carlyle. We strive to create memorable experiences for Two People in Love, and I'm thrilled to hear that the staff ensured that this was the case during your stay. Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just got back few days ago. Loved Montego Bay. Overall the staff we loved the most were TeeJay, Kimberly, Andre, Richy Rich and Dane! We found the staff were either excellent or just so so...there wasn't consistancy between the Sandals employees...they were either super friendly and accommodating or just so so.

We had a second floor room which was spacious but very outdated and run down. The A/C didn't keep our room cool at all! There was tons of noise in the hallway because there was an open vent in the bathroom wall which let HOT air in too!! Disappointing!!

The breakfasts were excellent. Dinners were fabulous also. Service at breakfast was very slow...never got outta there in under an hour. Dinner took just under 2 hours also. Dane and Kimberly were by far the best servers. Coffee in the self serve area was often old and tasted bad...need to make it fresh more often.

Nightly entertainment was great!

We spent most of the time at the other 2 Sandals with very efficient shuttle service! Beaches at the other locations are gorgeous! !

Not great beach access from Carlyle and there are no ocean view areas from the hotel unless you are standing in the 6 foot door/enterance way.

We did like coming back to Carlyle at night for its quiet atmosphere and tiki torches and night swims in the pool! VERY PEACEFUL!

Mosquitos are bad!

We would return for the value, quaintness, delicious food and ability to shuttle to the other Sandals locations.

Jamaica MoBay area is BEAUTIFUL!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank hulkhyf

Thank you for your review! It's fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Carlyle. We always want to offer something for everyone, which is why our guests have full access to our sister resorts in Montego Bay; the best of both worlds. We look forward to your return in the near future for another great stay!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I are in our early-mid 30's and frequent the Caribbean 2-3 times a year. we have a few Sandals resort visits under our belts, but this little resort is something special due to the wonderful staff! Rooms are very...clean, we were on the second floor and these rooms could use a little updating, but from what I understand they are slowly renovating, no biggie for us, since we lived at the beach! We spent our days at the two other resorts, but did swim across the street at the local beach and not one person bothered us. this is their home and public beach to share with family. They enjoy people visiting. you do get your occasional "look at my stuff" but a simple no thank you is really all it takes. the food is wonderful at the Carlyle restaurant, so make sure to book a night it is worth every bite thank you Kevin!

*Andre in entertainment goes above and beyond professionally and consistently from early morning until very late at night to make sure the guests are happy and enjoying themselves, he does this effortlessly, he is a natural people person and a huge.....asset to Sandals! I know this young man will rise to the top! We will never forget Zoomey Zoomey :)

Denise! what a precious gem! you are so kind and wonderful with all the guest at the bar and we are so happy to have met you! When I come back I need to visit your salon, because your hair was so... pretty!!! Always smiling and fun and professional!

Lemar! You are a wonderful bartender and we really enjoyed our last night with you.

Darwin!! You are a huge asset to the Carlyle! what a wonderful job you do and always with a smile! Kevin's food is amazing, but your service sets the bar high!!

Kimberly, you are so sweet and kind and always had a smile on your face! thank you!

Serron! Yummy food at the grill! You are the head chef of nibbles in our eyes :) no matter where we were you always made a point to say hello with a smile. thank you for the great chicken wrap for my shuttle ride to the airport! and your jerk sauce is awesome!

Richy Rich... you are awesome and we had a ton of fun in the couples game show and my hubby had such a great time playing pool volleyball our last hours at the resort.

Doreen & Kaveen- Thank You for always saying hello and remembering our names from day one! also a big thank you for our anniversary cake. this was a nice surprise and a extra special touch.*Doreen thank you so much for making our last hours in Jamaica comfortable and worry free even after checkout.

Although we didn't have a butler, I must say Dennis is super nice and always said hello and made sure to say goodbye and asked how our stay was. thank you Dennis, this was above and beyond genuine niceness!

*Christopher- It was a pleasure to meet you and we had a wonderful SSG return guest dinner with you. you are such a genuine guy and we wish you and your family the best. you are the key to the happy staff and this shows.

Kwashi! Always a great big smile and a happy hello! I'm sure you will only do great things at the Carlyle and we can't wait to return to see.

Patrick- Thank you for your hard work and warm welcome and goodbye.

Let’s not forget about the best shuttle driver ever! Winston!!!! this man is a Gem! such a pleasant smiling man who always got us to and from all the resorts safe and on time! Winston is a wonderful asset to your resorts!

Housekeepers I am sorry I can't remember all the names, but our room was always spotless and no request was too much or overlooked!! These ladies are very hard working and always said hello and goodnight.

I see a few people on here commenting on a noisy hot tub whistling?? Our room was right over the hot tub with no problem. I wonder if it was the peanut man roasting his peanuts that you heard. His kettle does make a loud squeal, but it’s a cool thing to watch and yummy, go buy a bag a peanuts. the only noisy night was Sat night, but that was the awesome band playing and locals having a great night off. we we're so tired from our travels we slept right through it. Never needed the ear plugs I brought just in case lol.

So thanks for the wonderful much needed vacation, sorry if I forgot any mentions. Everything was perfect. We will be home soon.-Steph & Vic

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cool4august88

Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable, entertained and of course worry-free. We can't wait for you to visit us again. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at Sandals Carlyle in October/November. This was a return visit, although our previous visit had been quite a few years ago. Since our first visit to Sandals Carlyle we have been lucky to enjoy a number of other holidays in various Caribbean islands/resorts (including other Sandals places) and felt ready to go back to Sandals Carlyle. During our recent stay we found that little had changed accommodation wise. We were warmly welcomed on arrival. Patrick helped us to our room (he was later to help us to other rooms as we subsequently changed our room). Apart from some minor changes to the décor just about everything looked the same.

As before the best thing about Sandals Carlyle is the quality and calibre of its staff. Since our last visit the entertainment team has been re-energised by Andre and Richie Rich. Andre was an absolute star. As well as being very entertaining and good at his job he also sorted out all the details to enable us to participate in the returner dinner etc. He seems to be on duty almost all of the time and did his best to make sure everyone was happy. Andre is a real asset to the Sandals team and he made our stay a lot of fun!

The staff in the Bay Window restaurant were also lovely. Brenda, Sandren, Darwin, Dane, Karesha and Kimberley were consistently excellent. They worked so hard to make sure we had everything we needed and were always smiling and happy. All these people made a significant contribution to making our holiday happy and memorable. Kwashie (I think he was the manager) was very attentive and Shenetta (reception) was extremely helpful in helping to get us into the right room.

As the Carlyle doesn’t have a private beach the next best thing is that you can easily get to Sandals Montego Bay and Royal Caribbean. Montego Bay has a lovely beach with calm water although aircraft taking off periodically means that it’s noisier than you might expect in an otherwise tranquil setting. As returners we weren’t too concerned about this. We enjoyed the benefits of having the variety to dip into three Sandals resorts for day time and evening entertainment, although the Sandals bus that ferries visitors around is now a converted van with reduced leg room and sponsored advertising. We personally thought this was a bit downmarket for Sandals.

Again we found that everyone at each of the Sandals resorts did their best to make sure we were happy and content. From going round visiting each person on the beach to take orders for drinks to the people who served us in the restaurants (esp Petrula at Royal Caribbean) the level of service we received was second to none.

We will definitely return to Sandals Carlyle as we like the small and more intimate feel of a smaller hotel. The noise from the street (car alarms are going off etc) may come as a surprise to first time visitors but I can only say that none of this spoiled our holiday. We swam on the public beach outside the hotel with the local people and encountered no problems whatsoever. Most of the people on the beach are families with children and they didn’t cause any sort of problem. The most annoying thing that we encountered during our stay was the high pitched noise that started on the odd occasion that the Jacuzzi was turned on. I don’t remember this happening the first time we stayed there so perhaps the Jacuzzi is now in need of replacement.

All in all a very enjoyable holiday!

Room Tip: We like the sea view although these rooms may be a little noisier than garden view
1  Thank mg123PamberHeath

Thank you so much for posting about your amazing stay at Sandals Carlyle. I'm so glad that our staff was able to make your trip so wonderful. We look forward to your return! Next time, we would hope that you have an even better experience!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

The Carlyle is the perfect spot for a tropical vacation on a budget. It's a small hotel with no beach to speak of, but with exchange privileges with Sandals Montego Bay and Royal Carribean, it's not an issue. A shuttle runs like clockwork to take you to those resorts, and you get to return to tidy rooms, immaculate service, and peace and quiet. The service at the Carlye was impeccable. Unbelievably friendly and joyous staff like Dadra, Damien, Dane, Kimberly, Darwin and everyone else made us sad to leave and anxious to return. We will enjoy the amenities of the two larger resorts but stay at the Carlyle for the intimacy of a boutique hotel and delightful people. This is where you relax. Partiers go elsewhere. Loved it.

• Stayed: November 2013

I'm so happy that you had such an amazing vacation with us. We want all our guests to have the experience of being in paradise and I am delighted to hear that we were able to create that experience for you.

Thank you for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were looking for a great honeymoon that could accommodate my food allergy (I have celiac disease, so I can NOT eat gluten). I had no idea how comfortable about my allergy I could be! I have been to numerous places in the US that were "gluten friendly" and offered some options, but none have even come close to what Sandals Carlyle did for me. Chef Kevin met with me personally, and being that it was a small resort he frequently passed by me, and he always stopped to say "hello," ask me how things were going, and he would always make sure that I was being looked after! I didn't have a single problem with my allergy the entire time! We got to travel to the other 2 nearby resorts and I was able to eat there easily, too, especially since Kenyan at the front desk called ahead to make sure the restaurant we were eating at knew ahead of time! They not only had BREAD for me! but I also did not have to miss out on any of the amazing courses! The food was amazing!
Carlyle was our favorite of the 3 resorts there because of the personality and the intimacy of it all. We got to know the employees better. If you go, have Delroy make you a Purple Rain!
The only thing we didn't like was the high pitch, piercing squeal of the hot tub that we could hear in our room when it was on, which wasn't often. But, honestly, that is the only negative thing. Sure, the locals got a little rowdy on Saturday night, but it was a cool experience to get to see some local action, which we were totally secluded from in the other 2 resorts. It was also nice to get to visit the public beach and next time we plan on taking the short walk to downtown!
Patrick was super on top of things and took great care of us, as did everybody there! Mr. Nibbles makes the best jerk chicken! and is an AWESOME chef! Dameon, Darwin, Craig, Shane, Richie, Tee-Jay, Kaveen, honestly everybody we met there, all took amazing care of us. We didn't even have to think about where our next vacation would be, we are saving up so we can come back as soon as we can.
The location was a stone's throw from the airport as well as the other 2 resorts.Security was safe, amenities were excellent, and service was undeniably the best I've ever experienced.
Thank you so much for making our honeymoon unforgettable! We'll see you soon!

2  Thank Abigail S
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thank you so much for your amazing review of Sandals Carlyle. We always strive to meet the needs and exceed the expectations of our guests and I'm thrilled to hear that you had an amazing gluten-free experience at our resort. We can't wait to welcome you back for another great visit!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

That hasn't been said before.This was our first visit to a Sandals resort and it won't be our last.
The service was second to none from the moment we arrived to when we were waved off by all the staff on our departure. The staff, with no exception were superb. Thank you.
The rooms were large and very well furnished, with a four poster bed and comfortable chairs, in room coffee and tea, a fridge well stocked with water and soft drinks and a very efficient air conditioner. The bathroom was adequate, the towels changed twice a day. Our room, no 316 was at the side of the hotel overlooking tennis courts. We didn't have a balcony but did have double glazed windows which cut out a lot of noise. It has been well documented that the tiny beach opposite is used by local people (not a problem) but can be very very noisy particularly at weekends and local holidays. We were there on National Heroes Day and it really was 'Party Central' with barbecues and bars set up along the pavement.
We took full advantage of the free shuttle bus to the other two Sandals resorts, Montego Bay, known as Mobay, and Royal Carribean. We went most days for lunch, or for a glass bottom boat ride, and gaze at the impossibly blue sea and lovely beach.
We also walked down the 'hip strip' where the tourist shops are. You have to be prepared for a bit of hassling but 'no thank you' or 'not today' and they leave you alone.
I would certainly recommend the Carlyle. We chose it because it is small and we weren't disappointed at all. OK the other two are bigger with more facilities but when you got off the shuttle bus it was like coming home.

1  Thank KD's Mommy

We're so glad that you enjoyed every minute of your stay at Sandals Carlyle. You were happy with our gorgeous rooms, great property and amazing staff. The kindness of our staff has always been the highlight of many reviews and it will always be a thrill to hear compliments. It let's us know that we're on the right track. We thank you for your feedback and look forward to your return!