First things first. The staff who work the bars and restaurants at this hotel are amazing. To an individual they do their best to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. So nothing that follows is to do with their conduct, which is generally good to very good.
However this hotel is not up to brand standard. Everything about it is well below what you would expect from a Sandals resort. There is no private beach, a tiny swimming pool, one restaurant (intermittently open), one snack bar and the standard breakfast/restaurant room. So if you choose to come here you will experience Sandals redux (having said this the gym is well equipped, albeit on the small side).
The rooms themselves are OK. However the bathrooms are dated and in need of a major refresh. Fittings are mid 70s, if that. It kind of flies in the face of the 'luxury included' mantra. It's more like 'slightly dated, 1970's theme, included'
Lots of people have also mentioned the location. The key problem is the noise from the street. There is nothing between the rooms and the main road so the place is noisy most of the time. From about 6.30am through to 10.30pm there is a constant stream of noise including car reversing alarms, cars with blaring music and in the small hours, cars using the road as a drag strip. Not conducive to a good nights sleep. The poolside entertainment also starts up at 09.00 so you can't have a lie in beyond this time, on vacation it's sometimes nice to have that option but the noise nullifies it.
The saving grace is the shuttle bus service to the two connected Sandals resorts. This means you can take advantage of the other hotels facilities and then come back to the Carlyle after you have finished glimpsing the real Sandals experience.
Oh, and in the 21st century I would expect luxury to include free wifi.
So, despite the lovely staff, we wouldn't come back. Luxury here is a chimera, glimpsed through the windows of the shuttle bus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A romantic, intimate atmosphere with personalized service.•The real Jamaican experience; Jamaican smiles and attentive service to make you feel at home instantly.•Small in size yet big on charm and large in value.•Close proximity to Montego Bay 'Hip Strip', where you will find duty free shopping, restaurants, bars and clubs.•24 hour room service for all room levels.•Butler service available for our newly renovated, top category room, the Carlyle Club Ocean View Penthouse.•Complimentary shuttle bus to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Montego Bay “Stay at one play at three”, where you can enjoy eighteen dining experiences.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Booking.com, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Carlyle Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Inn Jamaica
- Sandals Jamaica
- Sandals Montego Bay
- Sandals Inn Montego Bay