“Sandals Mobay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
New Hampshire
“Sandals Mobay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Was booked for a week at the Carlyle, starting 4/1/14. Received a call several days before traveling, saying there had been an "accident" at the Carlyle and we were moved to Sandals Mobay. While the up grade for the week to Club level was greatly appreciated, the experience could not even compare to the personal touches by the staff at the Carlyle. No acknowledge was given as a member of Sandals Select returning guests, no one checked that the refrigerator was restocked, I had even asked twice. I do have dated/timed pictures of the mostly empty frig. The Dining Room staff was wonderful and helpful, but no one from management approached us at any time, just to check in. The room was cleaned daily and was comfortable and sparkling thanks to housekeeping. We have been spoiled by the Carlyle staff and I guess just expected the same here and that didn't happen. The only thing small about the Carlyle is size, everything else is incredible. Please pass on my thanks to Kaveen and Doreen especially for the care and kindness during past visits, and hopefully will seen them on our next trip to Sandals.

Room Tip: Recommend club level and above.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We're so happy to hear your kind words about Sandals Carlyle. It seems our team has worked very hard over the years to ensure your stays are nothing short of stellar. We appreciate the feedback about your stay at Sandals Montego Bay. I will be sure to share your comments with our Management Team there to ensure the necessary adjustments are made so that future guests do not share this experience.

We hope to welcome you back to Sandals Carlyle again in the future for the amazing experience you have loved over the years.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Arnold, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

All I wanted to do was to get some relief from the cold and snow and enjoy a stress free week at Sandals Inn. I was so wrong. We booked this trip on 27 January. As a supporter of Sandals Resorts for the last 11 years I thought they would bend over backwards to help their Signature Guests. We had a terrible visit back in December, we wanted no compensation, all we asked is they fix the problems. So we decided to give it another try. On March 22, there was a fire at the Carlyle. We were told this Wednesday the 2nd, we leave the 8th. We were told it would not be open till the 10th. They said they would put us up at the Whitehouse Resort beach lux walk out. That is a nice gesture, but I am disabled and can not walk long distances With them putting us at the Whitehouse it will not be a 7 day vacation,it will be 5. With all the travel time to and from. Then we were told if you could come on the 7-14 they could put us at the Royal. They want us to change our airfare with penality of 375.00 to change. We would have to cancel our reservations at the hotel we stay at before our trip and the night we get home. There is also a penality for changing those reservations.Why should we be the ones who are out of pocket through no fault of ours? Sandals wouldn't speak to us and we were told to go through our agent. She is off today. Being this close to departure with no word on what we are doing. I'm very disheartened yet again with all the problems They want us to pay the price through no fault of ours. Isn't it their job to take care of their guests? We booked our air with thoughts of staying on Montego Bay area not an hour and a half away. I wouldn't be able to walk for a day if this happens. Maybe they should comp us a helicopter ride to the Whitehouse the day we arrive and the day we leave.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa1918
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We're so sorry to read that you are going through this experience before your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and showcase the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I posted a review a few days ago and it is now deleted so I will try it again. The Carlyle suffered a kitchen fire on the early morning hours, 4.30am, of Mar 22, 2014. We were transferred to SMB after waiting across the road from the burning SC for about 2 hours in our sleepwear and then another 2 hours in the entertainment area. Once we got to SMB we had to wait another 7 hours to get a guest room. The people were all nice to us, with a few exceptions when we inquired about a room or to speak to the resort manager. It seemed like no one wanted to discuss anything to do with the fire at SC. Anyhow, we survived the fire and enjoyed the rest of our time at SMB. The food and drinks were good and the beach as well. We had a couple of bartenders that tried not to serve the requested top shelf drinks, which was a little annoying at times. I would have expected that at any other resort but not at Sandals.

5 Thank bg8ts
Thank you for your review of your experience. We're glad to see that you were transferred to our sister resort and enjoyed a wonderful stay after the incident. Our team worked very hard to ensure that all guests at the resort during this time were accommodated. We have completely redone our kitchen and hope to welcome of future guests to our wonderful property for the luxury experience for which we are known.

Happy Travels!
Easton, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I traveled to Jamaica for a romantic getaway and ended up with the vacation from hell!! The first night of our stay we lost power 3 times, discovered that the air conditioner was unable to be temperature controlled only could be turned off and on and that the "quaint plantation style windows" had no glass or noise proofing so we could hear everything happening around us and everyone could hear us in our room. Looking for some positives we ventured outside to check out the "private" beach only to learn that it was not private and was a common hang out for drug dealers who wouldn't leave us alone! We were so disappointed we actually called our airline to see if we could go home. Unfortunately the change rate was astronomical and we couldn't justify the price so we decided to stay. The next day we went out on an excursion and returned covered in bug spray and suntan lotion to learn that there was NO WATER in the entire hotel.. Once water was restored the next morning we only got about 5 minutes of hot water. The food was sub-par at best and had very little selection. The only saving grace was being able to take the shuttle to Mo'Bay and Royal Caribbean where everything was what we expected a Sandals Resort to be. The best thing that we could say about the Carlyle Inn is that the staff there was amazing. They were so nice and accommodating we didn't want to complain because we felt it wasn't really something they could do anything about. Once we got home we decided to try to contact Sandals corporate to at the least express our concerns about the misleading information they presented on the internet. Their response was we should have complained while we were at the resort and requested to be moved to either Mo'Bay or Royal Caribbean, who knew??? In recompense they offered us a 2 night stay voucher equivalent to what we paid for our original stay. REALLY?? You think that offering to have us come back to the same place we didn't like for 2 nights free and that will make it ok?? Thanks but no thanks Sandals. VERY DISAPPOINTED and hope that no one else makes the same mistake we did. It's not worth the $2,500 + we dumped on our first romantic vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Sara B
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for posting about your stay. I’m so sorry that you had this experience with us. This is certainly not the kind of experience we want our guests to have when visiting our resorts. We are known for providing high quality vacations with top notch service and unfortunately, during your experience, it seems we did not meet those expectations.

I do hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a future stay as your voucher can be used at any of our properties. We would love to exceed your expectations when you visit with us again.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at Sandals Royal Carribean the first week of March and decided to travel over to the Carlyle to See Richard (Richie Rich). We had met Richard at SRC during our previous visits. We booked a reservation for dinner at the Carlyle and arrived early to be able to see the property and have a drink before dinner. This property is a lovely little gem that is perfect if you desire a quiet, laid back vacation. We did not see guest rooms so I cannot comment, however the rest of the property is lovely and well cared for.
Richard introduced us to everyone on the property. All the staff was amazing and so friendly.
We had a few drinks at the bar before dinner....NO watered down drinks here and the bartender even remembered what we were drinking after dinner.
Dinner was GREAT. Everything from the soup, salad, entree and dessert were prefect. Service was excellent. I don't think our wine glass was ever close to empty. The Carlyle Restaurant is equally as good as the French at SRC. Chef FitzRoy gets high praise from us. I was so happy with my Lobster I ask him if I could give him a hug!!
After dinner we stayed and watched the entertainment. All the guests were having so much fun and everyone already seemed to know each other.
We were very impressed with the service and attention to detail at this resort and will definately come back!! Thanks Richard for a great evening!!

5 Thank Cathy F
Thank you so much for your review. We're so glad that you enjoyed your dinner and time spent at the Carlyle. Our team did an excellent job of creating an incredible experience for you. We hope to welcome you back in the future for another great visit!

Happy Travels!
Haddonfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Our butlers treated us like kings, enjoyed the lobster thermidor, escargot and BBQ night by the pool. The rooms were well appointed and the property was well equipped. Hope to return soon and enjoy more of Mr. Nibbles treats!

Room Tip: top floors are buttered rooms, the best in the house
3 Thank Steve_Harris_NJ
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. We're so glad you had such a fantastic stay with us. Dennis and Kenisha are top notch and truly do their best to ensure their guests have amazing experiences on resort.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great vacation!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was my first trip to Jamaica, and it definitely won't be my last (especially at a Sandals Resort). As said by previous reviewers, we were treated like family as soon as we came through the doors. I have never experiences such amazing customer service before, albeit I am fairly young and new to travel. I think I really set my expectations high with Sandals. The staff was not only accommodating, but appreciative of your time for sitting and talking with them, especially Mr. Nibbles and Floyd (aka Pretty Boy Floyd, aka my favorite bartender full of special drinks). And cannot forget our favorite customer service reps Soshanna and Patrick!
I loved the aspect of saving a lot of money to stay at one, play at three. It was really refreshing to save a ton of money to stay with our family at the Carlyle, but be able to play and eat at Mobay. Plus, I felt the Carlyle was more low key at night so I was able to sleep after a long day out and about playing in the sun and in water!
I also want to take a moment to appreciate the fact that I felt VERY safe on the Carlyle property. Yes, it may not have a private beach, but this did not make me feel the least bit unsafe. I was never approached outside the resort's walls to buy merchandise or drugs.
Sandals Carlyle prides itself as a "small property with the biggest heart," and I fully back that statement. Many of you who are reading the reviews, you must remember you make of your vacation by what you do. If you do not want to venture further than your room, you may be vastly disappointed. Sandals offers so much between the three resorts that we barely had time to sit on the balcony and read a book until nighttime.
I loved my stay, and look forward to being apart of the Sandals family in the future. A place where everyone knows your name.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more updated
3 Thank Julie H
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
We're so happy to read that you had a great vacation with us. We love to hear our guests boast about their amazing experiences and the wonderful personality and hospitality of our staff.

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.

We can't wait to welcome you back soon!