“Not One Thing Wrong”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Halifax, Canada
“Not One Thing Wrong”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just returned from our 3rd visit, and had a wonderful time and not one problem. We were there celebrating our 25th anniversary at the same time as reunion week. Part of the festivities for the week was a "Renewal of Vows Ceremony". We were one of two couples taking part and Sandals made it absolutely fantastic - from the ceremony on the beach to the champagne reception - a big thank you to Soshana - the wedding co-ordinator and Mr. Kawashie - hotel manager who escorted me to my groom. The wedding photographer/hotel photographer - Shane took gorgeous pictures and if you want a keepsake of your trip to Carlyle arrange a picture session with him, you won't be sorry.

The special dinners for the returning guests were fantastic, complete with the gift of your leather sandal necklace and the bottle of rum and we even received our "silver sandals" which as surprise to us. At one dinner we had an outstanding desert - I've had many deserts in my lifetime, but this one - the white chocolate cup with the mango cream was to die for and will be the high tide mark for deserts for years to come. The pastry chef - didn't get her name, gets kudos for this one.

There are so many people to thank, so hopefully I mention everyone and if I got any of the spelling wrong, I am sorry. Reunion week so successful thanks to Kaveen - your hard work and cheerful attitude, even when you were sick, really paid off. Thank you to Doreen - so pleasant all the time. The desk staff including Shanetta - renamed me her "Rasta Girl". Christopher you are a wonderful asset to the hotel, only sorry you didn't get time to join us for that swim on the last day - thank you for setting up that wonderful day for us on the beach. Breakfast was a great way to start the day with the wonderful hostess - I think her name was Brenda (sorry if I got it wrong) and who could forget Robert - the egg man and wonderful smiling face. Of course, Darwin can't be forgotten, every morning a hug and he provided wonderful service for our champagne reception. The barman - Lemar always happy to make a wonderful beverage or two and the rest of the bar staff. We had a couple of snack with Mr. NIbbles and for sure no complaints there. I am only sorry I can't name everyone involved in the hotel, because without exception there was always a smiling face from morning until night. I don't know how they do it, but it really makes the hotel. I almost forgot - don't know how, but we did a couples message at the spa and it topped up our relaxation.

Thank you to everyone for everything. Don't know exactly when we will be back, because of the circumstance right now in our lives, but are planning on making it sooner than later.

Soon come home, Suzanne and Andy

Room Tip: Room 217, side view, no balcony if that's important to you, but very quiet, no street noise, gre...
2 Thank AWMNS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Northampton
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We arrived after a 9 1/2 hour flight with Virgin Atlantic and because we flew economy frankly the leg room was rubbish and the flight packed which meant we were in a state of mixed emotions, tired from they journey but looking forward to the holiday.
There is a Sandals lounge at Montego Bay airport where you can get a drink and refresh for a moment - but our luggage was whisked away to the coach - but only then did we discover that this was NOT part of the package and the red cap porters want a tip - bearing in mind that we had just arrived and had been told that no tipping was needed at Sandals this was not the best start to the holiday!
((On the way home we dealt with both these by wheeling our own cases into the airport and upgrading to Premium Economy at a cost of £378 for both of us - and so got more seat widith and better legroom.))
So back to our honeymoon - as soon as we arrived at the hotel we were taken to a lounge and given sparkling wine while our cases were taken to our room and we completed the paperwork.
In our room the maid had turned one towel into a loveheart on the bed with fresh petals - and there was a bottle of bubbly in an ice bucket nicely chilled.
It turned out that we had arrived on "White night" - so we showered, changed and went for dinner dressed in white -
Every night there is some entertainment, but actually often his seems a little forced because there are not always many people wanting to take part and it would be better received if gently left to rest (such as singalong night when all that the 6 of us wanted to do was stand and the bar and chat but Richard, bless him, was determined we were going to sing! we didn't and it did all fall rather flat)
you will have read in all the other reviews about the wonderful staff - and all that is true! - within a day most of them remember your name and use it in conversation making it very personal - but with only 52 rooms and no more than 104 guests this is much smaller and more intimate than the other Sandals in Montego Bay. There are apparently 75 staff in total -
Shanetta on reception said that she would hunt me down if I didn't say publically how much I love her! (and in that little remark I am sure you can see how the friendly banter went for the 9 days we were there)
Lamar and the lads in the bar do a great job keeping up the alcohol levels with some great cocktails - (they do make a very mean Dirty Martini) and all the staff we met at every level were friendly in a gentle unfussy kind of way and the service was always with a smile and humour.
Christopher, the general manager, was a pleasant guy who seems to have a good relationship with his staff.
Thankfully the hourly shuttle bus is there to take guests to the Montego Bay or the Royal Caribean hotels where there are long stretches of beaches with golden sands with sunbeds either in the sun or in the shade depending on your choice - and with a choice of 14 restaurants and many bars there really is something for everyone.
So we set about enjoying our stay - and if you are a watersports fan then Scuba, Snorkling, Sailing, Kayaking, Waterskiing are all available - and though we aren't we did go out on a glass bottom boat and I tried snorkling too - there are some lovely fish on the reef!
Our favourite spot became the Cay Island at the Royal Caribean with it's little beach and swimming pool bar (there is a clothing optional section here that we didn't try on this occasion) and the boat runs backwards and forwards whenever you want to go or leave.
A buffet lunch was served on the island which was normaly Jamaican style - and at night the island bacame a magical wonderland with rock lights, gas torches and firepits - and a wonderful Thai restaurant.
Other days we ate at the Montego bay Buffet, the Pizzeria (amazingly good pizzas!) and at night we ate at Tokyo Jo (japanese/chinese) which was wonderful -
The buffet at the Carlyle could be a bit disappointing if you got there later as it lacked a wide selection and could be dried up - but the Carlyle restaurant offered some good French Cuisine with Escargot and wonderful steak!

At this point let me talk about money - we thought we wouldn't need much as it was all inclusive - and that was true - and they take a "pre-auth" on a card so that any trips, shop purchases and so on can be charged to the room -
We did two trips - Negril which included a lot of shopping - and I only had taken a little cash with me - leaving the credit card in the room safe - so that was awkward - and then on another day we walked the Dunn's River falls and my wife swam with Dophins.
The Negril trip was led by Dalton; a Jamaican with a smile as wide as Montego Bay and a constant stream of information and patter which kept us entertained for most of the trip - and for those brave souls there was an opportunity to dive of the cliff on that trip! Some did and loved it - as one who has never even jumped into a swimming pool, I gave that a miss.
The Dunns River trip we had an effervessant lady guide with the nickname Esmerelda - she was lovely - but the whole trip was rather rushed and hurried!
Unless you have a waterproof camera you are reliant on the Dunns River photgrapher - so DVD at the end was $40 to buy - then at the dolphins observers don't get close enough to take pictures (unless you have a VERY good camera with zoom) and so a DVD was $128 on top of the trip.
Embarrassingly I didn't have enough cash for that so the tour guide on the minibus came back to the hotel with the DVD so I could pay for it - and at that stage could not take a card payment so I was cleaned out of cash!
The nearest cash point is probably half a mile away down "the Strip" and to get there you have to run the gamut of shop touts and Ganga sellers - which is frankly a pain in the bum.
They do take no for an answer if you are as persistent as they are.
So, how can I sum up our nine days?
I am glad we took longer than a week - it took a couple of days to adjust - but the holiday was lovely - first time we had been to the Caribean - so found the clear warm sea to be a real treat - the sun was not overpowering - and although we had some rain on a couple of evenings it was warm rain and soon dried up.
Sandals staff everywhere were friendly and helpful - no tipping is allowed at any of the venues- but you need to allow for tips on trips - and a discrete handshake with key staff at the end of your stay allows for rewards to be passed with subtlety,
When you think that apparently the bar staff are on about $130 a month you can see why even a small gesture at the end is appreciated.
Clearly Butch Stewart has a winning formula and we had a wonderful time - I dont think we will ever been "200 day" members but we will return to Sandals again as soon as we have saved our pennies.
In the meantime - if you are going to Sandals Carlyle you will have a wonderful time, be well looked after and I hope that this review helps in some way.

Room Tip: pay slightly more and get a balcony room - and that way you can enjoy breakfast served in the room!
5 Thank PoetKeats
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This stay was our tenth time back to Sandals,and our ninth stay at the Carlyle. We love coming back home for Reunion Week; Kaveen, Doreen,Craig,Tee Jay, Eric,Lamaar,Richard,Mr.Nibbles,Mr.Kawashie,and Chris Elliott the GM are just a few of the people who made it such a memorable vacation. They go above and beyond to make sure that your having a good time. My husband had broken his ankle in January & had only had his cast removed one month before we went to the Carlyle. The staff couldn't do enough for him,they were all so caring and helpful, propping his foot up,as well as an unlimited supply of ice to keep the swelling down. I couldn't think of a better place to mend a broken ankle with all the smiles and helpful staff.The food and drinks are awesome as always, as well as our day trip for reunion week. We get to see more Jamacian culture every time we come back and it feels great to be welcomed back with open arms and hugs.The Sunset Cruise on The Red Dread Sandals party boat was the last day of Reunion Week was the perfect way to end a fun filled week.
I can't say enough about the people who make the Sandals Carlyle so special. We just got home and are already pricing for next year.

Room Tip: The pool view is amazing and you can see the ocean as well.
1 Thank pdisenor
Cole Harbour, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Returned from this little Sandals Jewel on April 29. It is truly a special place, the staff are a notch above the rest. We stay in the butler level and no wish was too great for them to make happen. It was also Sandals Reunion Week while we were there.( It is a week of parties, trips and activities for returning guest) and I must say that it was the most fun we have had at any Sandals Reunion and we have done 7 so far. Keveen, Doreen, Chris and the rest of the staff out did themselves. Even with all of the craziness of the fire just three weeks before. Speaking of the fire you would not have even known there was a fire unless you were told or knew about it. This being our 4th stay here, we found everything to be of the same high standards as always. This is truly a place where you can get to see the real Jamaica, not just locked behind high walls and gates. The local people are friendly and please do not afraid to use the beach across the road. You will not be harm or harassed, just let them know you are here for a swim and say respect Mon. This truly a place where the staff know you and the guest can get to know each other. Everyone from the security, bar staff, housekeeping, playmakers, gardeners, and all of the other staff will stop to talk to you and make sure you are having the best vacation possible with them. We are already booked to return to this little jewel twice in 2015 and are looking forward to returning home to the Sandals Carlyle Inn.

3 Thank hgglfg
Flat Rock, Michigan
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Trust me on this. The staff here is amazing. The resort is small so getting individual service here was a plus. This was our first visit and we were only here for 4 days. The staff made us feel as we knew each other for years. They offered polite, friendly and cheerful conversations every day and even hugs when we arrived and left. The staff always took the time to give full attention to their guests. It was great that they put the guests first above what I am sure any work they had to complete. Special recognition to the Manager, the two woman who work the desk just outside the lobby to the right. All of the staff at the front desk and the bar staff. We enjoyed our time here.

Room Tip: I would select the first floor. I like the convenience of getting in and out quick.
1 Thank bill m
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Hello Bill,

We agree, our staff members' genuinely warm spirits and friendly attitudes truly make our guests feel like they are coming home! They will greatly appreciate all of your kind mentions and that you took the time to recognize all of their hard work. Thank you for your review and we cannot wait to welcome you back again!
Happy Travels!
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We just got back from the Carlyle yesterday and I'm not going to lie some of the reviews on here made me a little nervous! As with all things there is good and bad! I'll start with the bad...the pictures online are photoshopped like crazy!!! The resort is actually across a street from the beach not on the beach. Also during the weekend the public beach is a local hangout and can get a little loud...never kept me from sleeping! Now on the the good! The public beach is crowded during the weekend but everyone is very friendly and we actually enjoyed watching them playing games and dancing on the beach! When we arrived we were escorted into a nice sitting room where it seemed all of the staff including the GM came to welcome us! Everyone here is beyond friendly! Seriously by day 2 they call you by name! We had a butler suite (if you are trying to decide if it is worth it...it is!) and Niegal and Dorian were wonderful!! I can't say enough of the fun surprises they had in store for us! This is a smaller more relaxing resort and we thought we would mainly spend the days at the other properties and come back to sleep. Boy were we wrong! We love the Carlyle so much we only left for one morning and came back shortly after to spend time at our pool. The entertainment around the pool with Ritchie Rich was fun (sometimes corny but fun). The drinks were amazing...try a Jamaican smile or five! Nibbles is a great snack bar...call him Mr Nibbles and try the jerk nachos! I'm still craving them!!! Tee Jay your pool service was great! Our room was nice not amazing but nice...very clean! Third floor rooms have been renovated. All in all it was an amazing vacation and we are already planning our next vacation back to the Carlyle. Go you will fall in love with this place and the people! They might have more amenities at the other locations, but they don't have the people! I actually cried when we left and several of the staff came to the shuttle to hug us goodbye! Go you will surprised beyond your expectations!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ble0830
Thank you so much for your heartfelt review!

We are pleased that you loved your stay at Sandals Carlyle Inn and spending time with our amazing staff members. They truly will go the extra mile to see that our guests are completely satisfied and their efforts are able to shine through reviews like yours! Thank you for sharing and we hope to see you again soon!
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our first trip to Jamaicia and to Sandals. We chose the Carlyle for its intamacy. We didn't want to get "lost" in the big resorts. We arrived mid week and the staff was excellent. Shanetta at the front desk, Floyd at the bar, and Tee Jay around the pool to name a few. The start of the second week was "Reunion week", and not being returning guests, we got overlooked for "Reunion" guests. While at Royal Caribbean, we were actully ingored for over 30 minutes at one bar. All in all it was a fun adventure, our only advice to first timers at Sandals is to avoid "Reunion" week.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Robert.

We are happy that you enjoyed the quiet intimacy of Sandals Carlyle Inn and had a great time getting to know our staff members. We apologize if you felt overlooked at any point during your stay, as you are all our valued guests. We hope that you will return and we can make this up to you by providing the exceptional service for which we are known, from beginning to end.