“Definitely worth staying here”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you are looking for an intimate resort that is friendly and remembers your drink orders, this is your place. We bought the package to use the facilities at the other Sandals resorts but truly the food at Carlyle was the best. Even if you stay at Montego Bay Sandals, book a dinner at the Carlyle Restaurant because you won't be disappointed with your fine dining experience. Montego Bay is the party resort. We went there or one of the other resorts for the beach because Carlyle doesn't have it's own beach. The pool is wonderful though. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool area so we watched shows from our balcony. Being small you got to know the others staying there and it was like having an extended family for a while. There is a fire "pit" at night that you can sit around that is very relaxing. We very much needed a relaxing vacation and so appreciated the excellent service that was given. As we were told, "Don't worry, let us do the worrying for you." They mean it and deliver on that promise. I could go on and on about what a wonderful time we had.

Room Tip: Pick one with a balcony.
3  Thank Renee R
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hello Renee,

Thank you for your review of Sandals Carlyle. We're so glad that your recent stay with us was such an wonderful experience. We love to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests and it's great to hear that we did just that during your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,783)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week long vacation at the Carlyle. We had a fantastic time and especially loved Dennis and Kenisha. Both butlers were fantastic - they met and exceeded our every need. We loved the option to be able to travel to the other resort locations. Our room was great and the food was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeannie,
It's wonderful to read that you had another fabulous vacation with us at Sandals Carlyle Inn. We're happy that you were pleased with our high standard of service and attention to detail. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We can't wait to welcome you back for more fantastic memories!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I traveled to Montego Bay, Jamaica for our honeymoon, and while there, stayed at the Sandals resort 'Carlyle Inn'. We were there for 11 days, 10 nights, and enjoyed almost every minute of it.

There are 3 Sandals Resorts in Montego Bay - Carlyle, Montego Bay (Mobay), and Royal Caribbean. Staying at one of these resorts gives you free access and transportation to the remaining two and all the amenities that they offer. With it being all inclusive resort, that held true whether we were at Carlyle, Royal, or Mobay. We stayed at Carlyle because it was the cheapest of the three, which meant we could stay longer.

The lasting memory of our trip would definitely be the food. There are 18 restaurants between the 3 resorts, Carlyle has 3, Mobay has 8, and Royal has the remaining 7. Some of these require reservations which are done through the front desk of the resort that you are staying at, and some of them require guys to wear pants with closed toe shoes. All of the food was amazing and the variety that is there makes it so you don't get tired on anything. My wife and I were able to eat at all of the available restaurants during our stay, and our top 5 in order is something like this:
1. Cucina Romana (Mobay)
2. Royal Thai (Royal)
3. Tokyo Jo's (Mobay)
4. Le Jardinier (Royal)
5. Eleanor's (Royal)

My tips regarding the restaurants is to book your reservations EARLY, and make sure you double check the dress code.

The entire honeymoon was fantastic, and my wife and I have already discussed going again for our 1 year anniversary. So below I wanted to share some stories that took place while staying at Sandals.

1. As I mentioned earlier, we ate at all the restaurants, and this required us to eat 2 dinners at two different restaurants, at two separate resorts, on the last night. We have reservations at Mobay to eat at Orleander's, and we knew we didn't have a lot of extra time to catch the last shuttle to Royal before the shuttles took their dinner break (7:30-8:30). But after eating dinner, we ran to where the shuttle picks up and realized that we did miss the shuttle by 15 minutes, meaning we'd have to wait 2 hours for the next shuttle and by the time we would arrive at Royal where our second dinner was, our last restaurant (Eleanor's), would be closed. This was our last night and so my wife and I stood there trying not to get disappointed on our last night about coming up 1 short. Sometime during our discussion on what to do next, an employee approached us and asked us if everything was alright to which we replied to him by telling him our story. He then proceed to pull out his phone, call a private shuttle to come pick us up and take us directly to our last restaurant, all for no extra charge to us. Neither of us could believe it and so I got his name before we departed and he replied "Stovall....the Butler'. This guy was a Butler, not a manger, or anything, but a simple Butler. Long story short, my wife and I made it in time to finish our goal, and since then I've made it known to all the manager's at the resorts, and the Head Butler, the deed that Stovall did and how incredible it was to see such customer service and care.

2. On that same night, once we were finished with our last dinner, we took a shuttle from Royal Caribbean, to our resort. This was our last night in Jamaica, and while on the way to Carlyle, our shuttle was rear ended by another vehicle in the middle on the highway! This was around 9:15pm and we were all exhausted and ready to be home after such a long day, but now we were sitting in the middle on a highway all shocked that we were just rammed from behind on the shuttle. It didn't take up 10-15 minutes until another shuttle, from a Tour company that works closely with Sandals pulled up to take us all home.

When the accident happen, my wife's neck jerked to where she felt like she tweaked something. So when we arrived at Carlyle, spoke with manager on duty, described what happen, and told her about my wife's neck being sore. The manager was obviously concerned from the beginning and repeatedly asked my wife is she could do anything or if we need to go to the hospital, to which my wife replied that she would just fill out the required paperwork, sleep on it tonight, and then go in the morning. But we were scheduled to leave at noon the following day so the manager said that she would have a bus ready at 6am the following morning, that would take us to Mobay where the Sandals nurse and doctor are located, and that she would make sure we would get everything checked out in time to get us to the airport and catch our flight. Sure enough the next morning, we woke up, the bus was there waiting, took us to the Mobay resort where the nurse and doctor were waiting on my wife AND they had already spoken to our manager and knew all that happened, and they were done with her in less than an hour after doing a very thorough check to make sure my wife's neck was okay. In fact, after it was all done, we still had time to grab a bite to eat before we headed to the airport!

Overall like I said, I would highly recommend Sandals Carlyle to anyone, the resort itself is alright, but the staff is amazing, and while there isn't a ton to do at the Carlyle resort, it's just a 5 minute free shuttle to either Mobay or Royal where all the water sports and big activities are at. It was totally worth the money and we are definitely going to go back one day.

8  Thank Lucas P
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your review, Lucas.

We are so happy that you had a great honeymoon in Jamaica and enjoyed your stay at Sandals Carlyle! Our staff members truly are a group of wonderful people and we are so pleased that they were able to step in and assist when situations arose. We hope to welcome you back again soon and we look forward to delivering an even better vacation experience in the near future!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed two days one night....reason no beach but if that is not an improtant issue then great value for the area. Staff is wonderful manager "Doreen was very sweet and accomadating. Also Damien our personal make sure everything is OK guy was great!!! All the staff made you feel like you were part of the family. We transfered only because its location is in an older part of town and no beach at our disposal. You do have shuttle service to the other resorts so it's not hopless but inconvienent.

Room Tip: all room about the same view is the big difference..
4  Thank Cael P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Carlyle Inn.

We are happy that you did enjoy the time you spent at our resort and that our staff did a fantastic job at making sure you were comfortable. We appreciate your kind remarks and respect all the opinions you expressed. We look forward to welcoming you back at one of our beautiful properties.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Sandals Carlyle feels like home except I am not the cook or maid Rooms are kept clean and fresh and staff is wonderful. We spend our days at the pool and we sometimes visit the other 2 Sandals resorts in Montego Bay for dinner. Lunch at Nibblers grill at the Carlyle is great. Entertainment was awesome. Thanks again Doreen and staff for another great vacation.

• Stayed: April 2014

Hello Florence,

Thank you for your great review! It's wonderful that you felt right at home at Sandals Carlyle Inn and that our staff made sure that all your needs were met. It was a pleasure to have had you as our guest and we cannot wait to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The lowlights for Carlyle are its location and overall amenities.However, the staff and the ability to explore other resorts more than makes up for this.

The Carlyle is a cheaper (and in my opinion better) way to experience the Sandals resorts in the Montego Bay area. The other resorts (Montego Bay, and Royal Caribbean) are great resorts with far more amenities (private beaches, watersports, private island at the RC, multiple pools) but because they were larger they didn't offer the same opportunities to engage with the amazing staff members.

We found ourselves eating breakfast at Carlyle and then spending most of the day at one of the other resorts, but after dinner trying to make it back to Carlyle as soon as we could to go to the bar and hang out with the other guests there and the great bartenders and staff we met.

Among the great staff members were two of the bartenders. Oreco went above and beyond to make sure we had a great time at the bar. Lamar was great as well, some guests got him to play pool with them but he still made sure everyone had fresh drinks at the bar.

Richard (Richy Rich), the event organizer, was also great. Multiple nights guests weren't too involved in the activities but he was persistent in getting everyone involved and always tried to make sure everyone was enjoying themselves. He kept the music going later one night, just because one guest asked him to, and even though he was there until the bar closed at night, he would still be up the next morning for breakfast to teach aquacise and talk to guests at breakfast.

Jamal was also great, he played darts with us and always made sure to say hi to us when we saw him later in the week.

Kayon, Mr. Nibbles, did a great job at the restaurant as well. He was never shy about talking us up when we were sitting around getting a snack, and even ran over to the bar to get us each drinks of his choice he thought we might like.

On a side note, we had a great experience with two of the bartenders at Royal Caribbean. Rohan was a great bartender and told us his tips for a great Bloody Mary, and Nicola made a jug of her own punch for everyone at the bar to try!

Overall, this hotel is a great choice. You get to experience the other resorts but still get the low key and great service of this hotel when you come back at the end of the day. Or, if you want a more low key day, you could easily spend all day at Carlyle and have a great time!

Room Tip: The beach area is rather small and its not a sweeping ocean view but we really enjoyed the ocean vie...
3  Thank KStatePoke22
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I'd like to start by saying that those who found the Carlyle to be unacceptable simply didn't do their research ahead of time. It only takes reading through a few reviews to discover that this is not a typical Sandals "resort," but is basically a hotel that allows you to visit 2 other nearby Sandals properties, still with the all-inclusive deal, but at a cheaper rate. I will say it highly disappoints me that after this many complaints the Carlyle still sets up their pictures to make it look like the beach is part of the Carlyle. The beach across the street has NOTHING to do with the property except the fact that you can see it from many of the rooms, allowing for a pretty view. It is a public beach and Sandals should make that clear and not set up fake chairs on the beach making it appear to be a part of the Carlyle.

We had a butler service room on the third floor. The room was adequate. I loved having a balcony with a view of both the pool area and the public beach. The room wasn't great, but was okay. It was not energy efficient at all. There were huge cracks in the door and windows, allowing daylight to shine right through and noise to come in. The noise from the street was honestly pretty bad. I am a light sleeper, but was able to sleep through it most nights because I was tired. The bed was also so tall that I had a difficult time getting in and out of it! I am 5'3, so pretty short, but my husband had to pull me in it half the time. The blankets also were not comfortable at all- pretty scratchy! The fully stocked bar was great, as was the balcony. The bathroom was pretty awful. The windows are vented to the outside and you can't close them so bugs just fly right in and it is very small.

The butler service was great. Dennis was simply amazing and Kenisha was very polite as well. I wish we could have given them more of a tip, especially Dennis, but we gave what we could (we aren't rich!) It was great to have Dennis bring us breakfast or dinner up to the balcony. He also prepared balloons and decorations in the bedroom for my birthday.

Checking out was not a great experience, as we received charges for 3 phone calls at $2 a piece. All I did was dial 0 during our first 2 days and then got transferred to our butler because we didn't receive our butler phone right away, due to a previous guest jumping in the pool with it. They erased the charges but I was annoyed it was there to begin with. Make sure to clarify if dialing the front desk will result in charges for you or not.

The food at the Carlyle was all good, some great! Unfortunately there aren't many options, but that's why you plan ahead the night before/beginning of the day and go to restaurants at Royal or Montego Bay. The Steak Diane at the Carlyle was wonderful. Breakfast had several options and was better than a typical hotel breakfast. The buffet was also very good in the evenings, especially the jerk chicken! Nibbles was adequate but nothing special. I thought the bar was charming and it was fun to congregate with familiar faces of others that you met at the resort every night. They never skimped us on alcohol- if anything they went overboard!

The entertainment was pretty good. I really felt bad because the staff at the Carlyle tries so hard to get everyone involved and to stay on the property, but most spend their days at the other resorts. We had a ton of fun at karaoke and dancing one night and also saw some decent dancing and singing performances.

The pool at the Carlyle was alright. The chairs were very comfy, just like the ones at the resorts on the beach and the rafts were very nice. The jacuzzi however was disgusting. My husband and I went in it one night and there was green algae caked all over and sand all over the bottom- disappointing. We did notice that it was closed to be cleaned the following day- thank goodness. They cleaned the green scum out, but the sand was still on the bottom!

The gift shop was nice, as was the welcome lounge. We booked just 2 day trips- one to Negril and one to the Rose Hall plantation. Our butler, Dennis, hooked us up with Mackie- a personal driver for the same price as taking a bus with others. It was nice to have a whole van to ourselves. Negril was quite a long day for us, but it was great sight seeing and having Mackie serve as a tour guide. We were able to drink from our cooler in the car all day too (which the butlers packed for us!) We snorkeled at Negril and the resort was nice. We went to Rick's Cafe after and watched cliff divers. I am not sure I would spend the money on this trip if I could go back in time, but it was nice. The Rose Hall tour was short and sweet, but my husband and I are big fans of the show Ghost Adventures and wanted to check out this tour. The property was beautiful and creepy at the same time- we definitely enjoyed it!

The reason I am giving this trip a 4 instead of a 3 is the fact that you can spend the vast majority of your time at Royal Caribbean or Montego Bay. The shuttles leavie every hour (except for a lunch and dinner break) starting at 9:30 am and ending I think just after midnight (we never came back that late.) We typically stay up late but were always so tired there! Royal Caribbean was laid back and nice-plenty of room for relaxing and picking a nice spot in a beach chair. Montego Bay was fun and more of the party scene. We spent most time at MoBay. More prime beach spots were taken, but if we looked for a few minutes we never had a problem finding a good spot.

We enjoyed Tokyo Joe's, Cucina Romana, and the Cricketers. We stuck to these restaurants because we weren't sure how strict the dress codes were. My husband didn't bring dress pants, but probably should have. Boat shoes would be a good idea too! Everyone dresses up in the evenings for dinner. Most females are in dresses, even at the resort casual restaurants. We probably could have went to more fancy restaurants but didn't want to be the least dressed up pair there.

I could go on for days, but to sum it up, the staff was great, the property was okay, and the deal to stay at one play at 3 was what made this a really great vacation for us! Make sure to bring plenty of bug spray and sunscreen and travel with a pen so you don't have to borrow one to fill out the customs papers on the planes there and back!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend 3rd floor butler rooms if you are staying at this property. They are the mo...
2  Thank Katie W
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
SeaGarden Beach Resort
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#25 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Inn? Share your experiences!