“A perfect getaway for the price.”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A perfect getaway for the price.”
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We decided to try an all inclusive resort for my husband's 30th birthday, and went with Sandals because of their reputation. We decided to start with their most inexpensive resort: The Sandals Inn.

We booked the least expensive room online, but received a call with an offer to upgrade to an ocean view room for $100 more, which we did and we were happy about once we got there. We wanted to book our flights through their website, but actually got a cheaper, non-stop flight by calling the toll-free number and talking to an agent.

I was a little alarmed as our flight was coming into Montego Bay that I could *see* the resort from our plane. I wondered how noisy it would be, and it was obvious that it really didn't have a beach. We were greeted at the airport, and received our free (except for a tip) transfer to the hotel. Once we got there, we were truly treated like family. The hotel manager was wonderful, and saw to our every need. The room was comfortable and clean, and the view of the ocean beautiful.

The only thing that we felt had been misleading was the pictures of the tiny beach--it is a public beach, not private, and was crowded with natives almost all the time. This isn't a huge drawback since, for beach time, you can jump over to Sandals Montego Bay or Royal Caribbean.

We spent most of our days at Montego Bay resort, and were so content with the activities and restaurants that we never even got to Royal Caribbean. We did try to get reservations at the offshore Thai restaurant at the Royal Caribbean, but they were booked well in advance. (3 days+) If you want to do that--book early. They are strict about their dress codes (flip flops, even dressy ones, mean you can't go into the nicer places to eat).

We did one excursion through the resort up to Negril, which we enjoyed. The shopping stops were mediocre, but it was fun to see more of the island and we loved sunset off the Negril coast. It included a stop at Sandals Negril, a great place to go on a Hobbie Cat or water skiing. Truly breathtaking water and views.

On our last night, we decided to stay at Sandals Inn and eat at The Bay restaurant and we *loved* it. The restaurants at The Inn were almost empty, but the food was awesome and the staff attentive and accomodating. We wished we would've eaten there every night, honestly.

All in all, I give the resort an A. Having done a cruise and an all-inclusive now, I would by far go for a Sandals Resort again over a cruise.

• Liked — the all-inclusive really was *all* inclusive. It was a worry-free vacation.
  • Disliked — that I had only booked 4 days there. We could've stayed longer.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Schternli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Once again we had a great time at the inn. Last year we made friends with six other couples and we all met at the Inn again this year. This made it very special this year. It was a great two weeks.
The staff at the Inn are terrific. Cheryly Brown is the ultimate GM. She ensures everything runs smooth and if you have a complaint just tell her and it will be fixed!
Lisa and Doreen make sure that you enjoy your stay and do everything they can to ensure this.
Latoya is great as is Julie at security. Kevin the gardner is top notch.
The bartenders: Johnathan, Dacre and Wolfe are the best in Montego Bay . Paul Williams is always making sure that you are taken care off...
All in all the Inn is a first class establishment and we will be going back for the third time.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
5 Thank GarryandHelen
liverpool
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We had a wonderful holiday once again.Sandals inn is the place to go if you want friendly ,special attention.Nothing is too much trouble.We met up with all our friends from last year,Everyone of them returned ,which is a perfect example of how much they enjoy themselves.The staff at sandals inn are great.Special thanks to Cheryl and lisa who manage the hotel with such style.The bar staff are a great bunch re Wolfe Jonathon and our friend dakare.Also a mention to all the backroom staff who are all so hard working.The best value luxury holiday available

• Liked — very clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothiing
5 Thank r_inglis
UK
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Firstly we are committed Sandals Holiday makers having spent at least 2 weeks every year for the last 4 years at Sandals resorts.
Quite simply the Sandals Inn is one of the worst holiday hotels we have ever stayed at. Amenities though old and tired are as described in the brochure, the staff are very friendly and food is of a reasonable quality. What they do not tell you is the gathering of cars on the road outside playing music at very high volume. These cars are driven at dangerously high speed, handbrake turns and skids are very common! It seems that this area of Montego Bay is where all the locals go to show off the stereos inside and in some cases literally strapped to the roof of their cars. When the cars are not being driven loudly and at high speed they are frequently being "Tuned" which involves revving the engine multiple times for 10 minutes or more.
The parties which take place on the beach each morning and night also mean disturbance from the screaming and shouting of people at play. We saw many of the locals who were using the beach urinating against the hotel wall. As you can imagine this was not a very nice sight.
We were warned not to take anything to the beach that we would mind being stolen. The beach itself is very small and does not look like the one portrayed in many of the holiday company brochures.
Unless your idea of relaxing involves listening to cars be driven quickly, dangerously and with stereo loud enough to hear over half a mile away you will NOT enjoy this resort. Don’t think you are getting the Sandals Experience here. You are not! Our advice would be to go anywhere else you can.

• Disliked — Proximity to a very busy and loud road
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sandalsguest2009
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 4 February 2009

My girlfriend and I had no idea what to expect, honestly! I must say that I was really worried about how my stay would turn out at the Sandals Inn. I swear I read almost all 325 reviews on this website in reference to Sandals Inn. I had read far more positive reviews about the Sandals Inn than I did negative....so I figured I would be ok! Turns out, I was right.....I made one of the wisest decisions ever!
There are a few things I would like to mention before I go any further with my fair and honest review of Sandals Inn. First of all I would like to mention that I am not that hard to please, but I do enjoy luxury! I also realize that nothing or nobody is perfect, and I never expected perfection during my stay! There are pros and cons to almost everything you can imagine. Yes, the locals will attempt to sell you things, but just kindly tell them "no" and they usually leave you alone. Keep in mind, they need money to feed their families too and they live in a third-world country! Having said that, on with my review!
Upon arrival to Montego Bay, we were greeted with cold beer and champagne at a Sandals airport lounge. Sandals employees took care of all luggage we brought and were very attentive to our questions and concerns. We were transported to the Sandals Inn with style! A brand new Mercedes-Benz (E320) was waiting outside for us, what a great surprise! A kind gentleman by the name of Paul greeted us at the Inn and took care of our luggage and check-in process. Paul got us drinks from the bar, chilled towels for our faces, and then took us to our rooms. We were immediately introduced to the general manager and the assistant manager of the resort. Cheryl Brown and Lisa Gardner are very friendly and will do anything to make your vacation better! In fact, the whole staff is very personable and always smiling and greeting you throughout the day! Sandals Inn is considerably smaller than the other two Sandals resorts in Montego bay, but big on personal service. There are three places to eat at the Sandals Inn, and keep in mind that the room service is unlimited and free! You can dine without reservations at the Bay Window, and Nibbles (a snack bar)! The Carlysle requires reservations, but it's not hard at all to get them! Also keep in mind, that when you order room service at certain times of the day, the menu selections can become limited!
Like I said earlier, nothing or nobody is perfect so please allow me to expose some minor flaws with Sandals resorts in Montego Bay. The Sandals Inn is located near a busy and noisy road where the locals love to hang out and blare their music and show off their car alarms. Personally, I didn't find it to be a huge deal, but it was noticeable. Yes, the Sandals Inn shares their beach with the locals....not a big deal, it's nice to talk with Sandals Inn doesn't offer a wide range of amentities, but with full exchange privileges at the other two resorts.....we were very pleased! Sometimes, it seemed like it took longer than usual for anybody to take our order at the Bay Window, but with the managers on the prowl, they made sure somebody was right there waiting on you! The shuttle buses leave every hour or so on the hour, but there are small breaks in between each resort. It is possible to wait for 30 mins or so until you reach the resort that is farthest away from your resort. There were times where we were on time for the shuttle and still couldn't get on due to the fact that only 22 passengers can ride at a time. When the shuttle fills its seats, you must wait for the next one or get a taxi at a cost. Sometimes the Sandals staff will call you a free cab, if there are any inconveniences. You will only pay ten dollars (per couple) or so to get you back to another resort. Not all of the restaurants were excellent, but most of them were! I HIGHLY recommend Royal Thai and Tokyo Joe's!!! They appear to be strict on the dress code, but I did see men going to reservation dining in shorts and tennis shoes or open-toed shoes, which is prohibited. Women can get away with almost anything, except for swimming attire! Reservations can be tough for the Royal Thai as only two couples per day are permitted to eat there from Sandals Inn.
Overall, my expectations were exceeded, but your vacation is what you make out of it! If you are hard to please, just stay at the Royal Caribbean in Mo' Bay! I felt my money was very well spent, and you always have the option to spend time at the other resorts if you find yourself bored at the Sandals Inn. To sum it up....Sandals Inn is more of an intimate resort with a bed and breakfast atmosphere. This Sandals resort is far away from a bad choice of stay.....I can see why so many people go back year after year, not too many resorts take the time to know your name! Even other guests remember your name, this resort allows you to eat and drink whenever and without a line. We found great value at the Sandals Inn and we will be back! Please don't let any negative comments scare you away from this resort, you will be sorry!!! If you have any questions, I will check my e-mail and give you a quick response!

• Liked — The personable staff!!!
  • Disliked — The location!!!
  • Stayed January 2009
7 Thank matthewgrant1982
Toronto
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Awesome people, service, surroundings and location. Sandals Inn made us really feel welcome and appreciated. If there was something we needed help with the staff was always eager to make this our best experience possible. We really enjoyed the Carlyle for dining and we never felt over crowded during our stay. To be honest that's what we look for in a resort. I can't stand sharing a pool with 100 other people. The beach is only a min walk from your hotel room and rarely has locals on it. The security at Sandals Inn was also watching over us as well.

We picked the Inn based on the reviews on here and you can tell who's researched before going. It is a smaller resort, but one has to remember the place is called Sandals INN, not Sandals HOTEL. Inn's are known for being smaller, so I'm not sure why some people were surprised on how the Inn doesn't have a private beach or water sports as the other locations.

If your looking for a pampered vacation were the staff genuinely care about your enjoyment and you're not overcrowded by hundreds of other couples you'll enjoy the Inn. If you want everything at your doorstep (water sports, private beach) and don't mind crowds then look to one of the other resorts and be sure to fork out $1000+ or more. To us a 5 min shuttle down the street to experience more pools and a private beach while generally having the pool at the Inn to ourselves and a quite dinner/location was worth what we paid.

• Liked — Luxury accomodations with a personal feel
  • Disliked — Zip
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank NoMoreWinterBlues
Mississauga
Reviewed 28 January 2009

As a few people have written below your experience should based on educated and researched expectations.

Sandals Inn is by far the smallest location. With only 52 rooms compared to other Sandals locations which have 500 or more you're not going to have all the luxury's at your fingertips. If you wanted that you'd be paying more at the other locations which have a 5 star rating. What is nice and unique about this location is the tranquil, friendly and personable staff. They give the Inn a bed & breakfast feel rather than a faceless hotel chain feel. This was our main reason for staying here.

The complimentary shuttle service to 2 other locations only minutes away lets you experience everything the other 2 resorts have to offer; minus the sleeping quarters, but if I wanted to base a winter trip to a sunshine destination on my hotel room I'd save my airfare and book something close to home.

We looked at this trip as an opportunity to experience 3 Sandals resorts while paying for 1. We weren't disappointed.

Sandals is one of those names that everybody knows and with good reason. We look forward to our next Sandals experience!

• Liked — The people and the bed and breakfast feel
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank Gina_Simi