“This Place is AWESOME”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 17 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Carlyle for a week. We had an amazing time, the staff is out of this world. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The entire resort is well taken care of and it shows. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed. Yes, there was some noise coming from accross the street but in our case we liked it. We visited the other resorts in Montego they are beautiful but it seems like you are cut off from the world around you. At the Carlyle I enjoyed sitting on my balcony and watching the activity going on accross the street at the beach. The locals friendly and outgoing. When we go back to Jamaica it will be to the Carlyle., The staff and the guest we met made our anniversary trip so memorable and fun. Wish I was back there right now.

C&R Shore

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cshore1963
Write a ReviewReviews (1,762)

Reviewed 16 May 2010

I thoroughly and completely enjoyed my vacation at the Sandals Inn Carlyle in Montego Bay, Jamaica. This was the smaller, more intimate of the Sandals all-inclusive resorts, therefore I felt like I was their only guest. The staff there were very attentive, concerned about your every need, and considerate. The food was very delicious and well prepared. The rooms were very neat and I liked the ambiance of the rooms. I was able to visit the other two Sandals resorts in Montego Bay and they were very enjoyable as well. They don't have the intimate feel like the Carlyle because they're bigger, but the staff was just as welcoming and the food just as good. The entertainment at all the locations were fantastic. When I returned to the states, I told everyone how much fun I had and recommended that if they wanted to have the best fun and relaxed vacation, they needed to give Sandals Resorts a try. The only downside to the Carlyle is the beach is located across the street from the Inn and not as sprawling as the other two locations. The pool makes up for that though. Other than that, it was excellent. Before I left Sandals Inn, my friend had already booked our vacation back to Jamaica for next year. So yeah, we loved it!!!! Thanks Sandals Inn Carlyle.

1  Thank mzkim7
Reviewed 15 May 2010

The manager gave us a ride to another Sandals Resort (Montego Bay) and cabs were arranged when we missed the shuttle to the other resort (free of charge). Everyone was super friendly. Our butler was amazing. Originally we did not want a butler but we really enjoyed the personal service even though we are "do it yourself" type of people and not used to being waited on. The food was very good, especially the breakfasts and the "Jamaican Food" buffet. It was amazing. The rooms are nice. We spent a lot of time at Montego Bay because our daughter got married there and it had a better beach and more luxury, but we enjoyed the Carlyle because of the service and you can go to all the other resorts -- just get on the free shuttle. This was less expensive with all the benefits of the other resorts. It is off a city street so depending on the room you get, there will be noise of cars, radios, music and people.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aliciadedelrio
Reviewed 13 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at SCI for 7 days. We are both in our early 30's and love a good mix of partytime and relaxation.

We had a grand lux oceanview room on the second floor, which was immaculately clean. The bathrooms are not luxurious nor big...pretty basic hotel bathroom but again, very clean. The balcony had a ceiling fan which was so very nice when you were sitting out there enjoying the sounds of MoBay. Room service was always fast and hot. If I remember correctly, RaShane, who also worked at the bar, delivered our food each time. He was amazing..always smiling. We loved just chilling and enjoying the company of a number of staff who I will mention as I go...

Which brings me to Ray aka Crazy Ray...it takes special talent to work as hard as he does. He is full of energy and always trying to make you feel at home from morning til night. He made our nights at SCI fun and entertaining..even when there wasnt many people. The couples game show was cool ! Loved it :)

We didnt use the main pool much as we went to either SMB or SRC during the day. But it did look clean. We used it once late one night coming back from SMB..they allow you to take a quiet dip with your hunny at anytime...I assume as long as your respectful of other guests.

The shuttles start at 8 :30 am and run til midnight. The last stop from SMB to SCI is 7 :15 pm and if you miss that shuttle your there til 9:30 which wasnt so bad BUT the last shuttle from SCI to SMB was 4 :15 I believe and that meant if you had 6 or 6:30 pm reservation you were there 2 hours before dinner all dressed up with not much to do. That was the only drawback. That I had to worry about time on vacation.

The public beach is sooo beautiful. It is small..but none the less beautiful. It is crowded with locals on the weekends..but this is a like a community tradition and I enjoyed seeing families get together and play with their children. It was however kinda loud on sat nights into the morning hours( which didnt bother us as like I said earlier - we were also there to have a lil partytime as well.) It was sunday morning when it bothered us most. We had just gone to bed by 3 and were awoke at 6 am by car alarms going off consistently for at least a half hour. Monday was not so bad..a few car alarms...and the rest of the week quiet. If you want to relax on the weekends I would recommend you ask to be put on the other side of the hotel during the weekends.Being on the second floor in the front, I can honestly say the early morning pool noise didnt bother me, if there was any..because I didnt hear it. Then again I am not a light sleeper. The grounds were very nice. There is a sand volleyball court and a tennis court.

The food was great at the main restauraunt by the pool. It was convienient to come back from the other resorts and not have to worry about a reservation. I loved the jerk steak! ! It was really nice poolside with the lit palm trees and such. The food at the grill great as well. Quick meals that were yummy and filling. The jerk chicken Keniel makes will knock your socks off! Have to give props to Elvis and Ryan at the main restaurant & KeNeil at the grill. I enjoyed the food and your company! You all brang a smile to my face everyday!

The main bar was a great place to chill out in the evening. There is entertainment nightly and for those late nights a pool table and the company of an excellent staff. Our fav bartenders were Rashane and Richard/ Ritchie who were awesome, by day 2 knew what we wanted without us telling them. Always a smile on their faces..this was much appreciated after a day at the other resorts where no one knew our name.

We took advantage of all the free amenities at the other resorts. Kayaking, Glass bottom boat ride, snorkelling, tubing (awesome!) We loved participating in some of the games and activities at all resorts though did not once feel pushed to participate in the ones we choose not to. Some we just enjoyed watching.

Overall I would return to SCI, reasons being, wonderful staff and impeccable service.

One last shout out to my fav staff at the inn...Ray, Rashane, Elvis, Ryan, KeNeil, Ritchie and of course the lovely Cheryl Brown manager of SCI who always had time to chat for a bit and ask us how our vacation was going.

4  Thank LH33
Reviewed 6 May 2010

This is Sandals oldest and smallest resort. Although the rooms were updated and the staff were very friendly and always eager to please...the biggest problem was the noise! This Inn is, as their ad suggests, right on one of Montego Bays main shopping thoroughfares and across a small beach frequented by locals...so there is constant noise from loud car music (which you might like if you were 16), car alarms, and traffic noise. Avoid any rooms on the west side of the inn as they face the Inns "club area" which offers shows until 1am (unless of course you plan on frequenting these shows). These rooms open into an outside hall and it feels like the music is right inside your room! All second floor rooms get the street noise echo and the early morning poolside music.
In general, don't expect peace and quiet at this Inn...I would suggest you stay at one of Sandals other 2 Montego Bay resorts....but even then you'll be dealing with the airport noise. Sandals Montego Bay is at the end of the airports runway and Sandals Royal Caribbean is just a mile or 2 down on the same flight path.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank anca_m58
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My boyfriend and I just came back from staying at the Sandals Carlyle in Jamaica. Being first time Sandals-goers, we had high expectations from all the reviews and the high reputation Sandals Resorts have. We were certainly not disappointed and are already thinking about where/when to book our next Sandals vacation!
Our room at the Inn was very nice and we took full advantage of relaxing on our balcony and the 24 hour room service. The staff was always very nice and accomodating (especially Gareth!) to all of our needs. In particular, I have a severe peanut allergy and when we were making dinner reservations at the restaurants at the other resorts, they made sure that it was noted in both the reservation book and on my reservation "card" that you present to the host when you arrive. The chefs at every restaurant that we ate at for the entire week were already aware of the circumstances upon my arrival and it was very nice to be able to eat all my meals (especially at the Thai restaurant!) without worry.
I also believe that the Inn is a great value for the $$, especially where Sandlas MoBay and Royal Carribbean are a 10 min shuttle ride away, where there are more appealing amentities. The only downfall I would say is that if you are staying there on any weekend night (Fri-Sun), be fully aware that the "local beach" across the street gets VERY noisy at night. We arrived on a Saturday and we didnt sleep at all the first night due to the loud music, car alarms and partying. Typically, we are not people who complain but it was honestly pretty ridiculous. After the second night of not sleeping through the night, we were thinking about asking to transfer, only to discover that the weeknights are a lot calmer. We are glad we stayed but if you are thinking about staying here, definitely take it into consideration.

Sandals MoBay and Royal Carribbean are also fantastic. We spent almost every day at these other resorts because the beaches there are just fantastic. There are water sports such as tubking, waterskiing, snorkeling, sailboats and kayaks at MoBay, which we thoroughly enjoyed as well. Our favorite restaurant was the Royal Thai on Royal Caribbean's Private Island. We also did an "excursion," the Sandals "Island Vibes" Catamaran cruise, which was worth every penny! It is a 3.5 hour cruise which takes you snorkeling and then over to Margaritaville, all while serving lots of food and rum punch.

All in all, we were very impressed with everything at Sandals, from the accomodating staff, to the wonderful food and the terrific service we received. We will certainly be back!

1  Thank dottt22
Reviewed 1 May 2010

This was our 25th time to Sandals & 23 of them have been to the Inn.The staff treats you so good there, you just want to keep coming back. It is like a large family when you go there. We have meet so many wonderful people there, we have meet up with friend we had meet there over 12 years ago.
Crazy Ray the playmaker make it fun & memorable for everyone, Nola in the gift shop welcomes you when you come back, Doreen works hard to organize the rooms with people coming and going all the time., Cheryl Brown & Lisa Gardner work very hard to make sure everything is going good .Andrew makes sure your dinner is good at the carlyle. & the other waiter and bartenders work hard to serve you. Roy keep the pool clean and in working order.
Paul always has a smile on his face and gets your luggage to your room.Housekeeping keeps your rooms clean and fresh towel;
It is not perfect, but if you go to any staff or guest while you are there they try to make it right or help you. There is noise from the public beach across the street.
It should say something for this hotel, when the have 52 rooms and they had 33 couples at there returning guest dinner.
My only complaint is that we are hearing that it is going to al butler service, and we don't want that so I would hate to have to go find another place, because I don't think we could ever be treated as good as we do there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
#23 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Inn? Share your experiences!