“The OK and not so OK...”
Review of The Wexford Hotel

The Wexford Hotel
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Merida, Mexico
“The OK and not so OK...”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Spent two nights on business in Jamaica, at an event being held at this hotel. Overall it was just about OK... Having read comments about street noise etc, I requested a quiet room, and was allocated one at the back of the main building, and it was indeed quiet, and I did not notice any noise at all. There was no view, but that was fine with me as I was only in the room to sleep. The room itself was old, and tired looking, however was kept spotlessly clean. The bed was surprisingly comfortable however, and I slept very well. The AC worked fine, and kept the room cool. Bathroom was similarly old, however the shower worked fine. Service was OK, wait staff and bar staff were friendly, while the receptionists seemed somewhat less friendly. I found it annoying that internet access was only available in and around the lobby, and not in the rooms. In 2012, that doesn't really cut it. Food quality was again OK, had a snack lunch one day and it was unspectacular. 'Full Jamaican' breakfast is served daily, and is great if you like fish or curried goat for breakfast, however if you prefer fruit, selection of breads, etc, you will be disappointed.

Value was very poor in my opinion - for what I paid for 2 nights, I could have stayed in a good quality hotel in London!

I would not rush back, but on the other hand would not mind if I had to stay again for business reasons.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank El-Yuca-Ingles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The internet pics really don’t reflect the age of this hotel and as well what the rooms really look like. It is currently being renovated so it may be nicer once finished but my experience wasn’t good. There’s lots of street noise and if your room is near the bar and/or at the west end of the hotel you’re in for a noisy night. The bar keeps the music cranked up very loud and those on the west end get the privilege of hearing loud music from a club right next door that starts at 9pm. I was in the one of those rooms and quite literally the room vibrated from the base and I asked to be moved. One other factor is if you’re in one of the rooms with a water view the street noise is horrible as there is zero soundproofing. The elevator was out of service as well.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Knysna, South Africa
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was really dissapointed in most things at the hotel. The cost of the food,the bad service ,and the attitude of the waiters did not impress me at all. They promptly tell you that they are busy ,and you have to wait to be served !! That's not the way how we do things back here in SA.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Corning, CA
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had stayed at an all inclusive in Ocho Rios so we needed something less expensive for Montego Bay. We were adults, young adults and teens and everyone had a blast. The location is what makes this place awesome. You're on the end of the "hip strip" and weekends reminded me of Mardi Gras. We literally sat on our balcony and just watched tons of people go by. We even braved going to get some jerk chicken for $3.50 from the venders. Yummmmmm. There's a Margaritaville literally walking distance and you can even spend the day there w/ the 3 story slide into the ocean and the trampoline w/ the plank. There's a place down the street for gocarts and other activities. The beach is included in your stay and it's walking distance. There's a restaurant at the hotel and next door. Everything seemed reasonable to me. Very close to the airport and lots of tourist shops and a casino too. So obviously I liked the area, but what about the hotel? Clean, maybe dated but staff is wonderful. It included free breakfast and it was omelets one day and a big yummy buffet the other day. The pool is kind of at the top of a hill and isn't huge but it's nice and clean so if you don't want to go to the ocean, you can do that. One computer for internet available in the lobby, but did you really come to check your facebook?

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street and ocean are much louder but very fun to enjoy balcony. If you really need...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen R
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Very basic,and close to the hotel.My wife and I were very pleased with a few individuals that made our stay even more enjoyable.Davian Edwards at breakfast,made sure that we were seated promptly,with a smile and a can do attitude.Mr Renford at the bar,as well as Carey (bellman)who seemed to never take a day off,and just showed up out of nowhere when needed.Geneva (rooms) always courteous,and helpful.Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The Wexford Hotel is perfectly situated for restaurants, clubs and beaches. This hotel is for people who seek the real Jamaica. The view is amazing I would recommend ocean view room on the third floor or one of the newly renovated suites at the back of the hotel (some have ocean view rooms also). The staff are so friendly and attentive especially Ruthielyn and Elron the barman. Also would recommend excursions with Mark who operates from the hotel. Breakfast was very good and with stunning sea views what more could you ask for! Beautiful pool area, quiet and relaxing, even has sand around the pool and views of the ocean! A great hotel, friendly staff, great location and views in a beautiful country! Wish we were still there!
P.s we stayed for 14 nights and moved rooms on the second week as the noise from the neighbouring club over the holiday period was too loud.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have amazing view, but can be very noisy. Try and get one of the new suites at t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed here in March of 03. I booked online and at the time, they had a meal plan(more on that later). It's located on the Hip Stripe. Lots of Resturants and Shops plus Dealers, Pimps, Hookers, and Hustlers, A strong No and your left alone. It's 5 minute cab ride from the Airport to the Hotel. If you've been to Ohco Rios or Negril you'll appreciate the quick ride. The Hotel has been updated since I was there. It's was 5 star but it was good enough for me. The Lobby at the time had a Modern look. I remeber sitting on a big comfy couch. Check in was a Breeze. I was on the 2nd or 3rd floor looking out to the ocean. The room had Two beds. No complaints. The bathroom seem a little small, but it was clean and had decent water pressure. Theres a bar in the lobby the drinks were cool. The on site Restaurant was great! I had a meal plan Breakfast and Dinner. That's where my only problem happen. The prices were $$$. My first nights dinner was around 30. Here's the rub at Breakfast I was informed by a lady that I would be over budget for my meal plan. I asked how much was I allotted for two meals. $35 for breakfast and dinner. Why she had an attutude I don't know why. The GM step in and sorted things out. Can't remember her name but she rocked. Her running joke was how much did you eat lastnight Mr. Mackey. The house keeping staff were great. I had clothes thrown on the second bed my first day and when I came back she had everything folded up nice and neat. I have falling in love with Jamaica, and I think the Wexford played a part in that.

• Stayed March 2011