“Booking a room is bizarre”
Review of The Wexford Hotel

The Wexford Hotel
Ranked #51 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Booking a room is bizarre”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Imagine trying to book a room at a hotel that refuses to list their prices on their website. Hmmmm....be cautious. I also emailed Wexford Hotel (email on their website) for the rates and they refuse to email the rates back to me. so, I wonder if they change their rates daily. If you're Jamaican, you pay one rate and if your a foreigner, you pay another.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Jouvert_Whiner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Was really looking forward to staying at the Wexford but sadly disappointing. We stayed in the main building but the corridors very gloomy, room was nice and clean but little dated, on our first night we realised we had made big mistake staying there as the loud music from the bar and club next door went on all thru the night, moved rooms but still was no better and we had a lot of plumbing problems with toilet which never was sorted, moved us again but by then we were longing to leave as the room service went downhill and the manager and staff were uncaring and unprofessional. Breakfast was buffet style with not much variety and the same everyday, could never stay there again and much better hotels further down hip strip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cata2nia

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Round the Globe
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Really, the staff was very good and helpful; the breakfast is good, but simply there are other places on the same 'Hip Strip" (Gloucester Avenue) that offer more for the less money.

The rooms on upper floors offer great views, but the whole place feels gloomy and outdated. It was our first choice offered after we needed place to stay near the MoBay airport, but very next morning found way better value for the money nearby...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wrl_travlr
kingston, jamaica
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The hotel has improved somewhat since my last trip a few years ago but it still isn't great. They had lost my reservation when I tried to check in and when I produced proof of the reservation I received a half hearted apology. Check in was long but the staff was somewhat pleasant. My room was on the third floor and they did warn me that the elevator was not working and that it would be a hike. Should have listened - it was three long and steep flights. So don't stay above the rirst or second floor until the elevator is fixed.

The room is basic but okay. About what you would expect for the price paid. The towels were however disappointingly thin and scratchy.

A full breakfast is included in the room rate. Breakfast started about 15 minutes late. At least staff were pleasant. The buffet is adequate. Not the best Jamaican breakfast that I've had but it was adequate especially since it was included in the room rate.

I did not use the pool but it looked clean and appealing when I took a quick look.

Bottom line - you get what you pay for. Neither great nor horrible. It is centrally located and you can easily walk or get public transportation to other places in Montego Bay.

Room Tip: No higher than 2nd floor in the main building until the elevator is fixed. Unless you want a workou...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jamaicanyardie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My friends and I stayed here 1 night prior to our main destination, which was Negrille. What made my time here pleasant was the friendliness of the hotel staff. From the time they picked my friend and I up from the airport to the time we had to leave they were very attentive and made sure we felt at home. Keep up the good work Olive, Claude and Paulette. Now outside of that, the room was clean and air conditioned but I strongly suggest they work on their water system before it backs up and the REALLY need to get that elevator fixed RUSH RUSH!!!!! Tugging luggage up and down the stairs is not a good thing. And they must do some major renovations inside/outside of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank eleassear
Palmdale, California
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was a layover stop for us to wait for other girlfriends to arrive before heading to Negril . The only pros of this hotel was that the staff was friendly, and that the rooms were clean and air conditioned. I read other reviews regarding the free shuttle from the airport. I tried to confirm 72 hours prior but the hotel doesn't have a 800 number, and everyone does not have international phone service. Upon arrival you can see the hotel in much need of paint. We stayed on the third floor and the elevator was still out of order. A long haul with luggage. The bathroom was old, shabby, and in need of new pipes. Every time you got in the shower the sink & toilet started making a bubbling sound. (It is going to back up soon). The inside like the outside needs a paint job badly. The complimentary breakfast was the worst I ever had, and it was like pulling teeth to get a second cup of coffee.
I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anita J
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Wexford and I have to say the staff is awesome. Nicole was so helpful and she has a smile of gold. The bartender was great also, he kept the drinks coming and the music jumping. He was a great host. The rooms were average. The bathrooms were fine, and they are roomy. If I had to stay here again, I would because of the hospitality. Who needs a lavish room when you spend less that 5 hours in there. The only thing was the elevator was not working, but I had read the reviews before I went so I knew about that. The breakfast/lunch was included with our room and the buffet was awesome. It really hit the spot.

Room Tip: The rooms in the rear are the newer rooms and are near the small pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends