“Affordable stay in a nice location”
Review of The Wexford Hotel

The Wexford Hotel
Ranked #53 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
London
“Affordable stay in a nice location”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in The Wexford Hotel for a few nights whilst visiting Montego Bay. We have stayed here before and enjoyed it then, so booked in for 3 nights as a stopover. The hotel has improved in size since we were last here, about 4 years ago.
Our room was at the back of the hotel, and I am glad, as our previous stay was ocean view at the front of the hotel, which we found was very noisy at night as it overlooked the Hip Strip, and is very close to a few clubs and bars. Our view was of the local back road, so we didn't have much to look at.
The room is large in size, but we felt it was a bit unfinished, as it lacked in a few simple comforts which would have made a very big difference. The bed was comfortable and a good size, and we both slept soundly. It was clean and comfortable, but it lacked natural light, as there were no windows, except for the door which led out to the balcony, so during the day, we had to turn on the lights to get some light into the room.
The bathroom was basic, but the shower was honestly one of the best features, simply as the water pressure was so strong and the water very hot, which was nice.
We had selected breakfast as apart of our stay, which we would recommend as, it's hard to find breakfast along the Hip Strip, and it was a good breakfast. The selections changed daily and included typical West Indian as well as the usual fry up of eggs, French toast, sausages etc. it does get quite busy, so if there are no seats left out on the open veranda, you have to eat inside the restaurant, which, again, was ok, but there are no windows and they do not open the doors, which is a shame as doing that would make a massive difference.
When you stay at the hotel, you get free entrance into the local Aquasol beach, which it great if you have children, or just want to hang out on the beach and have a drink. There is a very small pool in the hotel, which we didn't use, we spent the time at Aquasol.
The hotel is good for couples, anyone who wants to have more of a hotel activity experience should look elsewhere. This place is basic and is somewhere you can stay as a stopover, or if you are planning to do more outside activities or exploring.
Overall, The Wexford Hotel, is affordable, clean and a great location for being central. We would definitely return, hopefully, when we do, they can improve on simple things such as a few windows, maybe some pictures and plants around the rooms to help make it feel more homely. Currently it is a bit sparse. But don't be put off by these simple things, we still had a great time.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms can be slightly noisy at night. Be wary there are no lifts in the hotel, so being h...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank YSLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed for onenight at this hotel and had practicaly zero sleep. This is an extremely loud all night bar 100m from the premises and it is also situated on a main road with constant traffic and loud horn tooting. The staff are quite nice and the meals are adequate, rooms are basic and clean. Did not feel very safe as there seemed to be a number of unregistered guests!!
I would never stay here again because of the sleep issue.
Doug Kirwin
Thailand

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dkirwin

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 March 2014

After spending a week in Runaway Bay I was forced to stay in Mobay February 21 due to weather conditions my flight back to the US was canceled. It took me over an hour to get checked in as I experienced the "no problem attitude". It was a party of five so we got a couple rooms, for starter I did not felt secure, the rooms doors could not lock, as my husband was in one room sleeping and I decided to go check on him only to find him fast asleep thinking that the door was locked to our surprise it was not. The room was old and dingy it looked and felt dirty I slept in my clothes because I was afraid to take a shower from fear of catching some disease. It had one tiny bar of face soap and one was rag so my kids had to share.

At breakfast on 02-22-14 I had to deal with a woman who had no customer service skills, her face was up more than mine. I asked for Orange juice twice she gave me pineapple juice. My sister was the last one to join us for breakfast when I ask her for another glass of OJ she turned and ask for who, can you imagine. She disgust me.

Maybe I should have asked to speak to management but I did not I only wanted to get out of there. I would never consider your hotel again. If I remember well the rooms were 103 &107. No security what's up with that people were coming in and out as they pleased

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Marcia_s265
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. This hotel is convenient to Doctor's Cave Beach and is located on the hip strip. It is unfortunate the so poorly maintained. The stairwell near our room was dark (no lift bulbs in the sockets). There were no smoke detectors in our room. We had one Banquet chair in our room to sit on. My husband fell in the shower (very slippery) and the shower curtain and rod fell on him.

We were not going to complain but we. My husband fell in the shower, that was it for us. I called the front desk but instead of hearing the many safety issues and what happened to my husband, the Supervisor was rude and argumentative.

I was very disappointed with the many safety issues and with the lack of professionalism on the part of the front desk supervisor. I will never stay there again and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank tee1_4eva
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2014

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank tee1_4eva
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Wexford is a good place to stay if you are traveling in country and don't want to burn out after a long journey to get to Jamaica with another several hour car trip to your final destination. The view is excellent and and you are close to excellent restaurants not the least of which is the one in the hotel! It seems like Jamaican hotels are determined to give you breakfast. Typically it will be a small continental one which leaves you wanting to order more which of course you can do and it will be good. The Wexford gives you a breakfast worthy of a king.....with a large variety of typical Jamaican dishes you won' t find in most tourist hotels or restaurans. It's almost worth staying here just for the amazing breakfast!!......The van service to the airport was fast and efficient.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is good(no rooms on the first floor) because the elevator is tiny & prone to disfuncti...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hlove10587
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at The Wexford December 2013 for 7 nights, I will never stat there again.
Cons:
1. The shuttle never showed up, I was at the airport for over an hour waiting and they had to nerve to tell me they were there waiting but never say me.
2. My flat iron got stuck in the outlet and it took them 2 days to come up and remove it. To make matters worse, the guy they sent up made a sexual joke saying holes are supposed to be tight. I am can take a joke but that was inappropriate since this is a hotel and he and I are not friends.
3. The elevator does not work so prepared to hoof it up the stairs
4. The icing on the cake one morning after my room was cleaned I went in and while I was in the bathroom someone entered my room without knocking.
Pros:
1. Great location, its close to Margaretville, there are also several restaurants in the area and it’s close to Doctor’s Cave and Aqusaol Beach

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo