“Location and Sevice”

Ranked #51 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York
“Location and Sevice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel itself needs a lot of renovation. Towel that use to be white are now grey, but ask and housekeeping will promptly give you better towels. The hotel's location, and it's worker really makes this hotel. It's a safe place to stay, located right on the hip strip. The food is good and breakfast complimentary. if you don't have loads of $$$ to spend, but need a vacation I do recommend Wexford. I spent 4 days there when I went down to Sumfest and had no issues.

Room Tip: Rooms located away from the hip strip would have less noise. I had ocean view that faced the Hip Str...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank flavorit2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. My group of girls had various issues during our stay at the hotel. On the first day we were assigned a hotel room that did not have a functional safe. The hotel staff told us that some hotel rooms do not have functional safes. However, we had our passports that we needed to lockup since the hotel wasnt secured from people coming in and out. The hotel staff told us to "trust them that our stuff would be safe without a safe." Finally we received another room..of which we had to move our stuff again to another room. During our stay, the hotel didnt have enough towls so we had to wait to take showers. The hotel security men constantly followed us. One actually came to our room early in the morning (while we all were sleep) and knocked on our door to see what we were doing. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are other hotels on the hip street and I would go to those before you pick this one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Bianca W

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted and offered complimentary rum punch.

Parking is free.

This is an old hotel. It is not to be compared to one of the all inclusive 5-star resorts. You have to keep in mind that hotel ratings in other countries are not the same as U.S. standards. We had a deluxe room that was spacious and clean with two queen beds. The furnishings were old but adequate. The furnished balcony consisted of two cafeteria style chairs. The in room safe used a key but when I asked for it they didn't have it and told me they were in the process of switching them out.

WiFi is free in the lobby but we were also able to get it in our first floor room.

There is a restaurant with outdoor seating that offered breakfast which was included with the room. There was an offering of a traditional Jamaican breakfast or American which only consisted of French toast or eggs.

There is another newer nicer looking building where the suites are. The suites are much nicer with furnished kitchens.

The pool appears to be fairly new. There were only about four chairs to lounge in.

Admission to AquaSol beach is complimentary. It's an okay beach with mostly locals. It is just a short walk away.

There is a lady named Olive on site to assist in setting up any tours. She is extremely nice and helpful.

There are plenty of tourist trap shops and restaurants in a short walking distance.

Room Tip: The view from rooms that are not on the front of building facing the ocean is not very good. Never s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Zoes1Mom
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Nice hotel on the "hip strip" Montego Bay near the new "hospital" Park and within walking distance into town. The food is good and the service is good, if a little laid back but hey....Your in Jamaica.....All cook and curry Mon!.......

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view, the food is good here.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jabwoy
Richmond, Virignia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was recently a guest at The Wexford, checking out on June 21, 2014.

I shared some of my concerns with the hotel manager, but feel I did not share enough to give him the full gravity of my experience at The Wexford which, hopefully, was constructive, and will help improve guest services in the future.

Guided by the photographs found on the hotel website, I made reservations. I was in shock when I saw the difference between what was advertised on The Wexford site and the reality of the accommodations. Because of the expense for the trip, I was prohibited from securing other accommodations after arriving at the hotel in Montego Bay.

To consider what is shown on the website and the reality of what was actually offered at The Wexford cannot be covered under the terms "false advertising." Blank walls, no ambience whatsoever. The room was cold and so very uninviting. The view from the balcony was a debris-ridden alley. A far cry from a garden or sea view advertised on the site. Nowhere on the site does it mention a debris-ridden alley as an option of a view, I checked again.

Conversely, the staff was accommodating and the room was clean to a degree and was cleaned satisfactorily each day, although there was a sparsity of towels and wash cloths. The furnishings were outdated, and that is putting it mildly; a wooden bed (which mattresses were comfortable), a dresser that had to be opened with a clothes hanger as there were no pull knobs to open the drawers, one kitchen-like chair in the corner beside the dresser, one end table with a 1960 retro lamp sitting upon it. There was a CD player in the room. I tried to access it, but could not. When I called the front desk, I was told the prior occupants had broken the CD player prior to our arrival and that there was not another one available. If the fact that there was a broken CD player in the room was known to the hotel staff, why would it not be taken out of the room. Really poor guest service. I requested and received an iron, only to find one morning when I needed to iron, housekeeping had taken the iron from my room. The ironing board provided was one that you would give to a child to play make believe.

One other matter of concern, on Monday, June 16, it rained and I slipped on the wet pavement on the back concourse, injuring my right shoulder. Someone identifying herself as a manager called and asked questions surrounding the injury stating she would call back. I never heard anything else from her from that day forward.

Needless to say, this is not the place for the discerning traveler and not one I would recommend for a enjoyable, comforting, relaxed stay.

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Genovie T
Jonesboro, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My stay at the Wexford was not what I expected for a “luxury hotel”. The room was a bit disappointing to say the least. In the room was a large wooden bed & dresser and a mismatched table & chair, they were old and dinged up. The Air Conditioner didn't work very well because the door to the balcony had gapes large enough to stick my fingers through them. There were no pictures on the wall or even a smoke detector. There was on single light bulb on the ceiling, no fixtures. The bathroom had numerous cracks all along the walls, some as long as 36 inches. The electrical outlet did not cover the hole that was created to run the wiring to the bathroom, the outlet was broken and did not work and the outlet cover was secured with two black deck screws. The mirror was attached to the wall with four anchors. It didn’t even have a toilet paper holder. The power shut off twice. The 30 inch TV was nice and the reception was good. There was a shuttle service available for transportation to/from airport and that was nice. The best word I could come up with to describe the room – “Un-Impressive”. I don’t know if everyone gets the free breakfast, mine was included. The full breakfast consisted of one plate of eggs, one plate of French toast or a plate with meat. It also included a small glass of orange juice and tea or coffee. Don’t get me wrong the food was good, just nothing that would make you think this was a luxury hotel especially when you consider how much I paid for the room. As a bonus (if that is what you want to call it) for renting the room, they give you a wrist band that allows you access to a recreational area called “AguaSol” that had a beach. Not really worth going to the recreational area, it was way too run down. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend and would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank arney121
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here approximately 9 months ago and had a really comfortable stay but was left a bit underwhelmed by a very light and clean but outdated room... This time I was in one of the more recently updated room and had a wonderful stay.. Staff as before was wonderful and service was great. It is right on the Hip Strip so close walking distance to everything... Price was very good for the product and full breakfast (with the option of Jamaican or American breakfast) was included. They have free beach and gym access via Aquasol park just down the road. Upon my arrival They recognized me right away and took very good care of me as a returning guest... Felt so well taken care of that I had to be back in MoBay unexpectedly for an extra night and chose to stay here for a little extra $$$ over some other reputable hotels on the strip which were a little less expensive. Everyone from the GM down to the bell men just gets and the whole idea of hospitality and it shows throughout. Very satisfied... I have officially found a new home in Montego Bay and will definitely be back... Thanks to you and your crew Dr. Khani.

Sent from my iPhone

Room Tip: Book rooms in the newly renovated section of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends