“Great excursion.”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Great excursion.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was a great trip, which I'd fully recommend. It took approximately 90 minutes to travel along the Martha Brae river, which was very peaceful. The raft "captain" takes you on the bamboo vessel expertly, and "Robbie" was very interesting and pleasant. I went on a very hot day, but luckily there is lots of shade along the river, which makes it more comfortable. Our "captain" told us that they spend their days making interesting designs on calabash fruit shells. We even purchased one for $15 because it was such a nice and unique souvenir, which Robbie even inscribed with our names. This is an ideal trip for couples, as each raft has two seats. There is a bar upon entry, and numerous gift shops before you get onto the raft.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Alex C

Nashville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Not white water. Ultimate relaxation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Always a fun thing to sit back on a hand tied bamboo raft and be guided down the River by an expert raftsman. Using long bamboo poles they navigate you down the river regaling you with stories of the area or with information about the flora and fauna. Really good experience for couples.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank BucketListedTravel
Jackson, Tennessee, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

First let me say that our resort (the Royalton) was less than five minutes away from the Martha Brae, and yet when I inquired at the excursion desk about the trip I was quoted $140 per raft which would carry two people. I took my 13 and 9-year old daughters, so there would be an extra charge for my second daughter to ride with us. I knew that that was a ridiculous price given the proximity of the attraction to the resort, so instead I had our driver (Andrew Chaldon - highly recommended cab driver!) who we had already booked for two other days take us there himself. When we arrived we paid $60 for a raft and all three of us rode together - there was no extra charge for the third rider. It had rained quite a bit inland over the previous few days, so the water was dark, but I am told that normally its clear and turquoise. The disappointing part for me was that our guide who stands at the head of the rustic bamboo raft and steers with a long cane pole flat out told us as we headed off down the river that if we wanted to ask him any questions along the way feel free to, but other than me dragging info out of him about the surroundings and asking questions which he answered, he was completely silent. It would have made a much more enjoyable trip if he had voluntarily pointed out foliage and wildlife and random things that we passed (like some old aquaducts or a fake graveyard) and gave us some history of something - anything, really. Instead I was in charge of saying "What's that old stone wall over there?" or "what kind of tree is that?" before he would bother telling us anything about it. I've also heard that there is an herb garden on the property that is supposedly part of the tour, and that Martha was some kind of witch doctor, but I only learned that from Andrew our cab driver later. The guide made no mention of it. The trip was just 35 minutes of floating down a wide creek for us, and while the scenery was nice, it didn't really change much during the whole trip, so it really needed some personality and historical lessons or some other informative narrative along the way to keep it from bordering on kind of boring. If you got a guide who was entertaining you would probably have a very different opinion, but ours was pretty lazy in the entertainment department.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Becky H
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“great trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

the guy entertained us for 3 miles on his raft .... darran ended up being the raft captain for part of this while e.kerr carved us a keepsake

Visited May 2014
1 Thank kewilson1
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The water levels were low, so it was a very awesome relaxing trip. Enjoyed our guide, he was funny and liked talking with him. Like the place very much. Love it.

Visited March 2014