“My wife and I enjoyed our visit to this hotel - Spence Family”

Altamont West Hotel
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the Altamont West in Montego Bay. This hotel is in a great location, just a few blocks from Doctors Cave Beach, Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville entertainment complex, Shopping Areas etc. This area is serviced by a continuous flow of inexpensive taxis to take you around the town. The facility is immaculately kept. The staff was very helpful whenever we needed them. The room was very comfortable. Overall, this hotel was great and would definitely stay here again and recommend it to any friends...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
chrisaction, Owner at Altamont West Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to having you again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Altamont West Hotel is the worst experience I have ever had in my life. The day started off very exciting and happy until we turned up at Altamont West Hotel. I made reservations (in advance) for one night for two rooms for 4 adults, however I went on a trip to another parish with a group of friends so I turned up at the hotel later than expected. Before I turned up at the hotel I called to inform the receptionist of my(our) late arrival ("as an act of courtesy") as well as to enquire if they allowed three or four persons in a room and also to find out the additional charges for the additional persons. All arrangements were finalized and i turned up at the hotel with my friends to check in, however their credit/debit card machine was not working so we paid in full for one room and paid half for the other the room asked what alternate arrangements could be made until in the morning where we could access the atm machine because it was about 11pm. To make a long story short the manager was called and he had no alternative so I eventually searched my bag and cAME UP WITH THE REQUISITE AMOUNT TO PAY FOR BOTH ROOMS WITH CASH....... TO MY DISMAY THE PHONE RANG AND THE MANAGER TOLD THE RECEPTIONIST TO RETURN THE CASH TO US AND ASK US TO LEAVE THE HOTEL. I was so flabbergasted I could hardly find words to express my shock. I personally recommeded the hotel because i have stayed at altamont court in Kingston and I was very impressed with their service and professionalism. So, can you believe how hurt I FELT? I thought I had made reservations for a reputable property but obviously I .....was at HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA. When I walked out of the hotel tears came to my eyes.....In additional, we were even given the keys to the rooms, so I was so shocked and embarrassed. We were so courteous and polite.... because we are not vulgar people. Still in shock........ My only solace was to think that they were an antiquated property in need of a serious bailout. Can't believe this happened to us in our country!!! I would never recommend this hotel to my worst enemy, please add a rating on the scale in the negatives because 0 is not low enough.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This is a relatively new hotel. Close to a busy road and tourist area which means plenty of traffic and noise at night. I was expecting a good wifi connection and this was not the case in my room. I informed the front desk twice and was reassured that someone will come and solve the problem.

I checked out the next day and still no one had responded. In my opinion for the cost of one night, this hotel is no VFM. Therefore I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Kato M
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Friendly helpful staff, free wifi and good food. Location not to our taste as it is on a busy main road and the hip strip was not for us, also there was an all night open air disco right next door on one of the nights.
The hotel is in need of updating and the rooms were shabby. In peak season not value for money.

Room Tip: We had a choice of a windowless room or a room with traffic noise, don't know what else is on of...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tigerlilly634
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This hotel has a good staff, friendly and helpful.

The Pros :
They do have wireless internet.
The communication center has access to the computers and print outs are free.
The Restaurant food is good, I ordered the club sandwich and it was real good.
For breakfast they even obliged with a Jerk/Cajun Sausage instead of bacon.
The reception area staff are very helpful and even lend you an Iron if you need to iron your clothes.

The Cons:
The rooms are on the second floor, no elevators.
The rooms surely need a facelift. Very mediocre.
A/C units are right above the bed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hyginus F
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This hotel was pretty nice. The rooms were clean and included a radio. AC actually worked very well. The location is fab since there is lots of food locations in walking distance and also the night life is great in that area. Very close by. The only thing I didn't enjoy was breakfast. They have 2 choices American breakfast or Jamaican breakfast which is included with the room. The eggs weren't even fully cooked and the amount of food you receive should definitely not be considered a dish and just a snack. The pool side area is okay but definitely needs to be redone. Looks old and the cushion seats are a bit stained and dirty. Other than that the rooms looked great and the customer service was pretty good! If you're looking for a hotel close by to shops and restaurants this would be good!

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a room that over sees the street. It was a beautiful view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelChick718
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, my experience on both occasions was perfect, not only is the hotel on the hip strip which a perfect location , the staff was always willing to go that extra mile to accommodate my needs and the food was delicious. Free internet and free parking are essential to my holiday,it was all included. I recommend this place because the simplicity is welcoming. I arrived at night once and transportation to the airport was arranged

(My trips where December 2009 and December 2011)

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel where is less noisy
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Bobzta-Bobby

Thank you to this guest for allowing us to satisfy your needs. We hope you visit again with us soon.