“Location location location”

Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Location location location”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Perfectly situated on the hip strip. We stayed here for 2 nights before we went to Belmont and 1 night before leaving for home. Nice, clean, rooms with hot running water and everything worked. what more do you want. Front desk was fast and courteous.Sorry for waiting so long until writing the review. If we go back to Mo-bay, we will stay here again. Good restaurants within walking distance and the beach is across the street. The Bobsled Cafe is right next door and the food is very good.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank prairiegal45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
regina
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We just got back from Jamaica again and stayed a few days at Caribic House in Montego Bay; so centrally located, so tidy and clean, so secure. The view is amazing, the staff is great and its just such a unique little spot, right across from Doctor's Cave Beach and Margaritaville. Hazel Dalley's shop a few doors down has coffee (blue mountain) on at 7 am and she is a wonderful old woman. This is not Sandals; if you want that, look past this review. If you want economy and a true Jamaican experience this is it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jck1963Regina
PA
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Although I wish I could have extended my weekend, I could not wait to get home to write my review! Oftentimes you wonder if these reviews are real when they are all 5 star ratings. I must say, THIS ONE IS!! I LOVED this little hostel. The location is perfect. Right in the heart of the "hip strip." The staff is great (I'm the worst w/names) from the front desk to security which, by the way, is ALWAYS on duty. I didn't have a room with a view but the balcony was still nice to have, very private. I really loved the shower, it was more modern than I expected it to be. Oh, my bathroom lighting wasn't great (room 8) so I'd suggest you bring a mirror (ladies:) to use in the bedroom which is very spacious. The room also has a minifridge which was quite useful. And yes, the tiled floor is clean enough to walk barefeet which I did!
The supermarket's in the condo two doors down to the right on the 2nd floor. They're a lil' steep, but the staff is cool. There's a convenience store about 6 or 7 blocks further down (it's called Food 4 Less I think), they're a little cheaper. There's a store called Strawberry's on the corner (I think before the 4 Less shop), cross the street and make a right. The bar and restaurant (the name eludes me) has really good food and the prices are reasonable.
Walk to the left of Caribic past The Bobsled Café the little souveneir store has good prices. T-shirts were 8 for $20USD, Blue Mountain coffee special's $15 A POUND!! Keep walking and there's a bar called Reggae House (?). Go up the stairs. Drinks are reasonable and exchange rates are higher than most places. A couple blocks down there's the Zinc Shack which holds good parties on the weekends (get there early or you may not get in!)
Of course there's Margaritaville to party (use JMD, they charge more if you use USD). I went during BritJam (actually there's a BIG BIG party going on tonight 3/14th w/Ding Dong) and it was a lot of fun! Keep walkin on the other side of the block, pass Burger King... There's a pretty good jerk pit called Pork Pit. The seating area is shaded and next door the bar Musiq is poppin AND there's NO COVER! There's another club (that I didn't get to but I've heard is great) called Pier 1 which is further downtown, they have a Friday night party called Pier Pressure.
Oh and yes, Doctor's Cave Beach is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET (be careful crossing the roads). If you decide to venture off of the strip, ask the staff if they can arrange your taxi it's usually cheaper.
All in all, for my FIRST TIME IN JAMAICA I had a BALL!! Wish I could have stayed longer. Thank you Caribic House!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank PhillyKoko
Toronto
Reviewed 15 January 2010

So, went back to Mo'Bay and stayed @ the Caribic!
It was perfect for what it was meant to be...a stopping post!
The rooms are standard rooms equipped w/comfortable enough single beds, a full bathroom, balcony and satallite tv. They kept the rooms very clean and there were no insects trying to get into the rooms. There is only a single lock on the knob of the door but, there is NO issues of security...there's a security guard always on guard in the main lobby!
There are shops & restaurants East & West of the Caribic, all along the strip. However, the best Jamaican food can be bought downtown for as low as $300JMCN. And the best place to buy your knickknacks are at the OLD FORT CRAFT MARKET...which is right across from the beach on the corner of Gloucester Ave. & Fort Rd....it's just off of Gloucester, in what used to be the British Embassy building/area. There are over 280 shops with the best artwork and carved artifacts, handmade by locals. However, if you're looking for the corny, touristy souvenirs, they can be purchased from the shops lining the popular area of the strip (mostly by the Harley Davidson store).

The Caribic House was the best (& safest) little non-inclusive I've ever visited and would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jamaquina
MissMontegoBay
Reviewed 26 December 2009

I booked for a 10 day stay at the Caribic House. I was not aware of this place until I googled it, looking for an affordable place to stay. I have been to JA about 5-6 times already so by now, I am lot more comfortable with my surroundings. I did not care for an all inclusive place...I just wanted somewhere clean and comfy that I could home to at night and intermittently throughout the day to rest up and shower, being that I was going to be away most of the day. I was very pleasantly surprised by this place....the people were warm...including Ms Barker, the security lady who was so sweet. My housekeeper friend ( I can't recall her name....was it Marva?) was wonderful......and the young guy who did security at night who resembled Chris Brown was very kind and friendly (definitely no where close to the Chris Brown we hear about on the news!) My overall experience was memorable and I am surely coming back. In fact, I just booked to stay there again next month coming up where I might be attending Jazz Fest and celebrating my birthday near Bob's Marley's birthday as well. The location is phenomenal..you are right in the middle of excitement which is what I seek.....restaurants, shops,,,the club is right there within walking distance. Forgot to mention, Doctor's Cave Beach is right across the street which is the beach I usually go to for tranquility and good vibes...... I am looking forward to being there again and seeing all my new friends.... I am a frequent traveller among the Caribbean Islands but JA is indeed my favorite....Feel free to ask me any questions about this hotel or Jamaica in general. Peace and blessings~~!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MissMontegoBay
Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We just stayed one night at the Caribic house but found it to be comfortable, very clean and quiet considering it is on the main drag in MoBay. Did not have any problems with front desk personnel. It was also wonderful to have Dr. Cave's beach so close and selection of restaurants to choose from. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Missionaryjourneys
chicago
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Wonderful place, clean, security, helpful. Front desk was very helpful, right in the heart of Montego Bay

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple