“Scuba Diving (SeaWorld) was wonderful. Quaint little hotel.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cariblue Hotel and Scuba Resort

Cariblue Hotel and Scuba Resort
Ranked #52 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Scuba Diving (SeaWorld) was wonderful. Quaint little hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

I only used the dive center at Cariblue, I think PADI lists it as SEAWORLD. I did not stay here, but the owner, Roy Watkin did give me a tour of the place. What I saw was a very quaint, privatley owned, clean little hotel on a very picturesque stretch of ocean. I would consider staying here on my next visit to Mobay. Roy is in the process of remodeling the dining room. The pool is small, but right on the beach and more than adequate. New lounge chairs would be a definate plus as the ones there were not too comfortable. The hotel itself is small, but the rooms looked to be spacious and well maintained. NOTE - this is not a Sandals or a Marriott - if that is what you want and are expecting, book at the Marriott or at Sandals. This is a throwback to MoBay of old, before all the big chains took over. Ther eis a little pub next store that sells beer and and food and the world famous SCOTCHY's (out of this world jerk chicken) is about 2 blocks down the road and an easy walk. There are a few small shops int he vacinity of the hotel but it is mostly pretty secluded. As for the diving, it was very, very enjoyable. Captain Fox and Vincent, my divemaster were very attentive. I saw some comments about the boat being unsafe but I honestly did not get that impression at all. The only issue I had was Vincent spearfishing - kind of goes against the "take only pictures, leave only bubbles" PADI philosophy, but when you realize this is still a developing country and people do have to eat, I guess I can rationalize the spear fishing.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank peterkoke

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

I dealt with Roy Watkin with Dive Seaworld at the Cariblue Hotel. My girlfriend and I used him for her snorkel and my dive experience in Jamaica. Captain Fox and Steve the dive master took very good care of us. Roy meet us after I our cruise ship arrive on April 21, 2010. I had the information desk call him. After our dive experience I talked to Roy about the bad review from customer and that I saw none of the problems that were mention.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Kyiv
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

Luckily, did not stayed in hotel, and just used diving center for a dive. So far, I made diving at 5 different countries and used around 10 differend PADI diving center, but I have to tell you that this is the worst diving center I ever used. PADI shall exclude it from its list.
First of all, the air stinks and is not safe for the body. Secondly, the boat itself is not safe, but hey do not even have life jackets at the boat! can you imagine that!?
Even instructors from the diving center honestly told us that the owner of diving center, Roy Watkin, knows about the problems but so greedy, that does not want to change this. Guess what, prices are 30% higher than in 5-star PADI center at 5-star hotel RIU Montego Bay.
I wish I would never have been to this diving center.
Guys, be very careful!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sysoyev

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

no facilities, no service, expensive, not checked scuba gears, air in tanks with smell, not clean/chlorinated swimming pool, old dangerous/not safe boat. Do not pay up front to the owner - Roy Watkin - he will cheat you

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kerrave
Saugerties, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

I had been to Jamaica 7 times before staying At the Cariblue,
I made a great choice. Total privacy, beyond friendly and accomodating staff,any thing you want is there all you have to do
is ask for it from snorkeling/diving to fishing and sunning, anything you want to do, or not is there. I made my own meal plan/and drinks and found the cuisine to be of local influence
and consistantly delicious from breakfast thru dinner and you
do not go hungry what ever you order. Dont be afraid to call and
talk the coordinator...Cariblue is awsome....ED

Stayed April 2003
4 Thank bink14
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2004

We went to the Cariblue for our honeymoon and have been back once since .

It is was an affordable if somewhat rundown Motel, with a range of characters that at times led it to seem like a sort of tropical fawlty towers.

The area around Cariblue, which is also affordable if somewhat rundown, gives you a hint of what it would be like to live in a developing country on a minimal income.

Don't believe the website. The food is very mediocre. We finally ended up going to the market, buying our food, and getting someone to cook it for us. Visiting the market was a real adventure, and the meal we ended up with was authentic Jamaican.

If you get a room with an ocean outlook you will think ou have died and gone to heaven.

Cariblue is no prepackaged, mass production club med resort, but it did, inadvertently,, provide a unique set of experiences that left you feeling like you might of just experienced a little bit of authentic jamaica.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2003

If you are looking for a quiet hide away, inexpensive, yet include all, Cariblue is the place to go. In my opinion, it's a 3 Star historial resort, it's clean, first-rate hospitality, and an ideal place for rejuvenation.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member