“Depends on your needs!”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 12 January 2014

They charged extra for more than two people in a room although we book with them knowing the number. It was an extra $30 a person charge, other than that it was OK not bad not great. The bar was great

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 January 2014

years ago, this was the place to stay in Montego Bay. No more! it's shabby, the staff is mostly surly, you have to pay to use the beach… It's a pity to see a once special boutique hotel turn into a place you cannot wait to leave. We would not go back, and neither would another guest we met who was also shocked at the decline of the place.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Located on the hip strip close to beaches and restaurants. Rooms are very basic with no internet access - WIFI only available in the lobby. No iron nor iron board was in the room, no kettle for hot water. I've only available from the bar. Pool uninviting - could do with a paint job, luckily good beaches are close by.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed with my family for 7 nights for Christmas break. Room was small but clean, however, the shower didn't work properly. We did not get hot water for two mornings in a row. After we complained the first time, the staff told us that they would 'restart' the boiler. The TV remote broke 3 times and on the last night, the TV stopped working altogether!
The hip strip isnt what it used to be, a lot of the bars had adult only nights so there was little to no entertainment on the strip or inside the hotel for families. If you have young children, its best to stay at an all inclusive. As this was a last minute trip, we decided to stay there as it was within our budget.
The staff are very friendly and were very kind to my children. We enjoyed the gardens and slept well, even though the A/C unit was very old and noisy, I had to stand on a chair to turn it off as it was not remote controlled. We were given a room at the back of the hotel so we did not hear any street noise. Parking there, however, is awful. The car park holds about 6 cars total and we had to fight to get a parking space. On the last night, we had to plead with the front desk to ask the manager to move his car for us to park as we didn't have a permit to park on the street and would of gotten clamped and towed.
The bartender seemed bored with his job and was a little short when I asked him to make chocolate milkshakes for my children, which he made with ice and milk instead of ice-cream so they did not taste very nice.
The hotel isn't related to the Beach Club, so you have to pay to enter that beach but we found it over crowded and expensive so we went to Cornwall Beach which is a 2 sec walk in the other direction, much cheaper a lot cleaner and better.
The location is excellent, within walking distance of all shops. If you have a car, go for a drive into the town centre and you will find other fast food restaurants if you are sick of Burger King or paying a lot at the restaurants.
The manager was extremely friendly and nice and made our stay comfortable.

I would go back alone for a stop over but not for a long holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Rooms there are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Rooms are clean
friendly staff
small breakfast included (toast, butter, cheese, jam)
Dr. Cave Beach is not so far (entrance 3-5$)
ambiance wouldn't be enough, that I would like to stay longer than 1-3 nights - not "best hotel ever"

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I'm not big on spending money on expensive hotels. If you're looking for a resort, this is not for you. If you're looking for a place to sleep and go do things away from the hotel, it's great. The hotel was quiet, bar was dead, and the staff was fine. The only things I should note, "free breakfast" is toast and coffee, nothing else. Also, Do not use the hotel's "authorized driver" that the hotel staff recommends. He tried to charge me 40$ to drive down the street. Use a red license plate taxi while visiting Montego and always bargain the price. Bathroom and room was clean. TV, furniture and room was outdated from the 90's, but again clean. There is only WiFi in the lobby. Bar is open until 10PM. The shops nearby are very expensive for food, and trinkets. Staff is friendly and offered advice all the time. The pool is very small, but if you're in Jamaica, go to the beach. There is two beaches you pay to get into. There is two public beaches farther walk away. There is a few restaurants a short walk or cab drive away. If you take a cab from the airport it shouldn't cost more than 10$

Room Tip: There is two kinds, pool side or garden... dont waste money on the pool side, it faces the street an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was on my first ever trip to visit Jamaica alone, middle-aged woman from Canada. Having a small budget for my trip, I wanted a hotel in the centre of Montego Bay, with secure parking for my rental car, at an affordable price. I was fully satisfied with Doctors Cave Beach Hotel. The room was simple but clean and comfortable. Only downside was a noisy air conditioner which I had to shut off to get to sleep. Breakfast was toast, banana bread and coffee or tea. Additions of juice and a few hot items would be great. I felt totally safe and for the price I paid, I felt I got very good value. You should note it is on a busy street, not the beach. All staff were helpful and very pleasant and friendly. I would return if I visited Mo Bay again on the same budget!!

Room Tip: You may wish to listen to the volume of the air conditioner in your room - perhaps I just had an esp...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo