“Great location... OK service but....average for the area... Not good”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great location... OK service but....average for the area... Not good”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is directly across the street from the world famous Doctors Cave Beach so I was expecting a lot more. Room was pretty spacious but bla.. Not dirty but a little more attention to detail could have made a lot of difference. Place was dead day and night. Maybe it was because of my expectations from knowing of this place for so long but I was less than impressed. Ok to stay if you have to be on the strip last minute but. Check out the Wexford down the road. Cleaner and less expensive.. I moved there the next day.. The beach is still a very short walk away.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Souloaded

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Picton, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Upon checking in at the hotel we were told they didn't have a reservation for us even though it was made, paid for & had a reservation number months in advance. After a while we were able to check in & Dwayne took us upstairs to our room. The garden below looked lovely but I was not so impressed with the room. It was a little tired looking but clean & okay for the night.
We spoke to him about wanting to see Rocklands Bird Sanctuary the next day so he arranged a driver for us.

We really liked the location of the hotel, close to stores & the beautiful beach that we got a pass for since the swimming pool at the hotel was under construction. We walked up to the Pork Pit for dinner & got to see a lot of Gloucester Ave.

We came back to the hotel & used the free wifi which was available in the lobby but more peacefully by the games room.

The next morning when we went for our included small breakfast we were told it was Jamaican buffet & wasn't free. I told them I chose this hotel because a toast & tea breakfast was offered & that's all we wanted so after a bit of back & forth we were cheerfully served it by the pool.
I changed some money at the desk & that went well.
Glen picked us up at 10 & we checked out & went on our way to see the birds.

If we ever returned to Montego Bay we would probably stay here again if the price was right & we had a nicer room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I, Canadians of Jamaican birth, stayed at Doctors Cave Beach Hotel over the Christmas period last year. We were very impressed with the management and staff of this hotel who constantly made sure we were enjoying our visit. The hotel offers good value for what we paid. We felt as though we were among family. We enjoyed the location on the strip, the wicked free rum punch drinks made by the famous bartender Kenny, and the friendly morning chats with Miss Bev who has worked for the hotel for 42 years. We ended up cancelling some of our reservations at some of the more popular all-inclusive hotels so that we could spend more time at Doctors Cave Beach Hotel. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Jamaica.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bob297
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I gave the hotel 3 stars because the employees were so nice and helpful. The rooms are ok.

The pool is very small and gets very little sun due to the location. The beach is almost directly across the street; however it isn't associated with the hotel so you have to pay to access it.

I only paid $10.00 per night after I used my points from Travelocity and for this cost it was good.

Room Tip: Check out Hotel Gloriana instead. It is a better value and has a restaurant and a better pool. Loc...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rhonda H
Lauderhill, Florida
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Doctors cave is the worst place ever the place is filthy an the service is very poor, I went there on the 6th of January and because the place was dirty,doors were shaky,the air condition was old and broken,cob webs decked the walls I could go on for days, I requested a refunded and I'm still waiting on the refund today the 17th of January! When I called all the managers there knew nothing the so called general manager Ted Simpson knew nothing after I had been calling for days and repeated ignored my calls, when I did speak to himit was completely pointless he had nothing to say and acted as if he couldn't fix the problem when. They should of returned my money! I can tell you this they will never get my money or he money of anybody I know

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Sloanewuku

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Reviewed 12 January 2014

They charged extra for more than two people in a room although we book with them knowing the number. It was an extra $30 a person charge, other than that it was OK not bad not great. The bar was great

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Oakland, California
Reviewed 5 January 2014

years ago, this was the place to stay in Montego Bay. No more! it's shabby, the staff is mostly surly, you have to pay to use the beach… It's a pity to see a once special boutique hotel turn into a place you cannot wait to leave. We would not go back, and neither would another guest we met who was also shocked at the decline of the place.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple