“NEVER AGAIN!”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Decided to take a quick trip home with my sister . Booked two days before actual travel date. Normally I would stay with family or at our favourite spot Vista De Bahia but they were totally booked at both their B&B. I decided to go with the facility seen that is was right across the street from its name sake beach and price was cheap. Got to the facility the clerk at the front desk was very unfriendly, poor customer service. During check in was told I had to pay an energy usage fee, this was not disclosed when I booked. Had to wait about 30 minutes in the lobby while another person went to 'check on the room'. Finally got to my room was very disappointed. The sheets on the bed were very old, outdated and look very unclean, the pillows were so flat and deflated could not tell they were pillows. Would rather have white towels and wash rag, rather than off white. Was told Wifi in room, no such thing. Was told air conditioned room, bring your own fan please. Was informed after the fact that I could not have guest in my room, my brother-in-law was questioned as to how is it that I already have guest and I just just arrived. There were rodents running outside my window. After a call to switch hotel was told I would have to PAY for one night but I could not STAY the night. I have family in and around MoBay and easily found lodging. Spent the night with family and checked in at The Wexford Montego Bay the next evening. Not the best due to ongoing renovations, but the customer service was excellent from the Front Desk staff to the grounds keeper. Enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Raine48

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Have not stayed here before and could have been put off by low ratings but pleasantly surprised. Manager introduced himself and could not have been any more helpful, as were all the staff. Our room was good - but the Air Conditioning units are old and I'm not sure we would be happy staying more than a couple of nights. The beach area available (USD6.00 per day) is good, clean and safe. The bar area is good and the Hotel offer a free Rum Punch cocktail hour which is a nice gesture. The breakfast is not great, just muffins and toast on offer, but the breakfast staff were lovely and offered us coffee when we were having an early morning dip! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank walker92
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here with my family for 6 nights. At first I was very happy with the hotel, until I found numerous bugs in the room. No matter how clean the room was they were there. I also meet a few cockroaches right when I left the room. When we were settling in the housekeeper barged in to bring us the crib for our son. We appreciated her bringing it up, however a knock would have been appreciated. This left a bad taste on our first day. The blow dryer did not work, the beds weren't comfortable, breakfast was terrible with the same choices everyday. You only get wifi on the lobby, can't even pay extra for it in your room. The grounds are old and dusty, the pool is dirty and poorly cared for. I did experience some good customer service while I became ill. However what really put me over the edge is when we checked out. We had so much stuff with the baby and everything I forgot my expensive sweater and I phone charger. Less than 2 hours after we checked out my boyfriend went back and everyone claimed there was nothing left in the room. That was clearly a lie, I was so angry. Can't believe
after the business we gave them(the hotel was dead) they stole from us. It had to be the housekeeper or bellman who helped us with our luggage. When I tried to contact the hotel directly about the issue they ignored my emails and denied everything when I called. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you value your belongings and
privacy. Also various claims on their website were non existent and they have the highest rates for phone calls (even local) I have ever seen in Jamaica. I visit Jamaica often to see family and would never even consider staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Rikki G
Reviewed 29 May 2014

During our visit to Jamaica, we were actually more pleased with the Doctors Cave Beach Hotel. For one it's right by the Doctors Cave Beach which was a lovely stretch of space with clear blue waters and without the usual Jamaican hustling of tourists!!!
Also, this place sports a rum punch cocktail hour Thursday and Saturday evenings. The breakfast is perfect for a day out on the beach and it's all included. Most importantly the air conditioning in our room worked well, which didn't seem to be the case elsewhere on the island.
This isn't a corporate place by any means, it has a casual vacation feel to it.
Also you're only 2km from the Montego Bay international airport. We simply walked to catch our flight out since the taxis (ridiculously) charge $15USD for the short trip.

We also walked to this hotel from the Knutsford Express bus stop. A clean, comfortable hotel that walking distance from all your amenities. Definitely recommending this to others.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Giselle D
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My work colleague and I were visiting Montego Bay for a convention and decided to not stay at the host hotel which is located on Gloucester Avenue, also known as the Hip Strip.

The hotel is about twenty minutes away from the host hotel across from the beach. I booked a two (2) bedroom suite with the expectation that there would be two separate rooms with one bed each. When we arrived - it was actually two rooms with one kind sized bed in one of the rooms. I asked for a room change upon check in and they immediately switched us. This new room, had a single bed in the living area and a kind bed in the bedroom.

It's a fairly old hotel which and the fixtures have not been updated in some time. There is a bar, but no restaurant on property. Various mini marts and restaurants are located within walking distance of the hotel.

The room is clean but they seem to have a cockroach problem as on the first night, one crawled up from the drain and then another peeking its head out of the sink this morning.

It's located right on the strip - so if you are looking for entertainment, check out Margaritaville, Blue Beats or any of the other entertainment spots.

Perfect if youre looking for somewhere reasonable and nearby to activities. Don't expect anything too fancy!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank seanmorg
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The staff was great , they treated us like family ( without out all the pain and drama of regular family !) . The location was perfect , right across from the beach . I have been all around the Caribbean and and nobody makes a better drink than Kenny their Super bartender , a really great guy too . Look forward to going back !

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Galati1959
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a nice hotel right on the strip in montegobay but it does not have a beach you have to pay to go to the beach that is about two hundred feet down the road and across the street this is not a five star hotel it is a low income hotel no elevator we have to use the stairs to get to our room on the third floor no micowave or iron and when you do get the iron after a long wait because some other guest was using it the iron needs to be clean I would sugest a new iron or one in each room with a ironing board the staff are very nice and friendly but we did not get a full breakfast a cup of tea two slices of toast and with jam and butter we went to the pelican restaurant for breakfast. The beds are so uncomfortable I cant even describe it but the rooms are clean and the location is good although very noisey I would recomended this hotel only for one or two nights and if you are afraid of lizards they are always on the walls in the walk way to your room in the nights there is a forest at the back of the hotel very dark in the night and spooky you know where the lizards are from.

Room Tip: most of the rooms will be noisy because of the U shape of the hotel and it is very close to the road...