“A Good Budget Friendly Stay”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #37 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Vancouver, Canada
“A Good Budget Friendly Stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spent two nights here in June and had a nice stay. The staff was friendly but not very customer oriented, except for the guy who I think managed and worked the breakfast. Breakfast was very basic with just muffins, breads and tea/coffee, but there was a nice Jamaican man who would come and sell fruit to us at the hotel, which they then sliced up nicely for us. The pool was small but refreshing nonetheless, and they had a full bar but it was a bit expensive for drinks.

Our room was very basic and the whole hotel was dated, but it had all the necessities. The beds weren't very comfortable though. There was a safe in the room which was an added bonus. As with most hotels, I wouldn't recommend changing money there as it is a big rip off, but there is an ATM right across the street to the left. We noticed on our last night that there was a garden jacuzzi and basic gym, which was a shame as no one told us when we checked in. The hotel has quite a large, almost hidden lounge as well.

Doctor's Cave Beach was gorgeous and right across the street but you do have to pay $6 to go in, and chairs are extra. One of the nicest Jamaican beaches we saw though! The hotel is on the "hip strip", aka gift shops everywhere and several overpriced restaurants.
As for drug dealers....this has nothing to do with the hotel. They are all over Jamaica and areas where tourists go....

Overall a good place for a few nights on a budget, but it would not be the most comfortable stay if you want to book for longer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were in Jamaica for a mission trip and wanted to pull our kids out of the field to give them a little RNR before heading back. We looked online and found this had the best price for our budget. We were unable to book due to the poor internet quality where we were so we went down to the hotel and talked with them in person. Told them we needed six rooms and the breakdown and worked out a deal that fit with our budget. Later that week when we checked in they waited until we were fully unloaded and checking in to inform us they 'miss counted' and needed to charge us for an additional room. This was told to my wife. When she informed me I went to down to talk to the manager whom was out to lunch. They called her and I was informed I would be reached out to once she returned. I was never contacted. Rooms were very outdated. We had a gecko/lizard on our ceiling all night. You have to go to the bar to get ice. This room was comparable to $45 room in any city not the average $113 they charged us.

I am less upset over the quality of the room than I am of the change in the deal. We had limited funds for this trip and went out of way to make sure everything was in place prior to arrival. We even provided a breakdown of each room with names when we made the arrangement.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Eric H

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel two weeks ago with my wife and daughter.
There are prostitutes right outside the hotel and even if you say you are not interested they will follow you down the street and harass you.
DRUG DEALERS RIGHT OUTSIDE THE FRONT STEPS.
I know this is Jamaica and you are going to be offered drugs, that's just the reality. But not the large numbers you will find at this hotel. They even asked my 14 year old to buy cocaine several times.
The staff is very rude and the bed had the box springs popping out.
There is really nothing to do around this hotel. The hotel advertises that they are located right next to the main market. In reality there are some tourist shops in the vicinity but nothing to write home about. The only decent restaurant is Burger King and KFC if you want to spend a 5 dollar cab ride each way. There are some restaurants right around the hotel but they were always empty and I didn't want to be the first to try.
I couldn't wait to leave the next day and find another hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank realestate_2014
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My name is Colleen:

Six family members include myself decided to stay at Dr. Cave's Beach Hotel and we have no regrets, we reserve Glorianna from Canada did not know what it looked like, so when we got there it was like oh my God, musky no windows and disgusting. We left that hotel like run like the wind and end up at Dr. Cave's really happy the rooms was well clean did not encountered any roaches or bugs accordingly to other review. We stayed there for nine days the staff was good to us Kenny make us feel right at home, breakfast was on the house it was not all inclusive some people are talking about it like they expect to get breakfast, lunch and dinner, i looked forward every morning for my breakfast and it did not bother me how often we were served the same food, the coffee was perfect all i know is after the breakfast we hang out at the beach and it was relaxing. The property was well maintained the cocktails drink was good, Kenny know how to make his drinks. We couldn't get enough of that place, i really miss it a lot. We are planning our next trip for next year, the only thing is I wish it was all inclusive it cost us more for food and drinks outside. We rented a SUV with our own driver which is a family member and i know we made the right choice staying there. It would be nice if they could change it to all inclusive because all the beaches is walking distant on the strip the restaurants, the clubs, bars are close by. Other hotel is all inclusive but far away from everything. People complain over everything never satisfied. In my room i had a king size bed the Air Conditioning worked beautifully very comfortable, the balcony was a beautiful view, the staff helpful. No one steal our things, accordingly to other review. We even requested a fridge and we got it, so People need to stop complain and enjoy it, life too short. I will recommend Dr. Cave's to anyone who is planning a trip to Montegobay

Room Tip: rooms on the south side is quieter and cool good view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Colleen D
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Decided to take a quick trip home with my sister . Booked two days before actual travel date. Normally I would stay with family or at our favourite spot Vista De Bahia but they were totally booked at both their B&B. I decided to go with the facility seen that is was right across the street from its name sake beach and price was cheap. Got to the facility the clerk at the front desk was very unfriendly, poor customer service. During check in was told I had to pay an energy usage fee, this was not disclosed when I booked. Had to wait about 30 minutes in the lobby while another person went to 'check on the room'. Finally got to my room was very disappointed. The sheets on the bed were very old, outdated and look very unclean, the pillows were so flat and deflated could not tell they were pillows. Would rather have white towels and wash rag, rather than off white. Was told Wifi in room, no such thing. Was told air conditioned room, bring your own fan please. Was informed after the fact that I could not have guest in my room, my brother-in-law was questioned as to how is it that I already have guest and I just just arrived. There were rodents running outside my window. After a call to switch hotel was told I would have to PAY for one night but I could not STAY the night. I have family in and around MoBay and easily found lodging. Spent the night with family and checked in at The Wexford Montego Bay the next evening. Not the best due to ongoing renovations, but the customer service was excellent from the Front Desk staff to the grounds keeper. Enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Raine48
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Have not stayed here before and could have been put off by low ratings but pleasantly surprised. Manager introduced himself and could not have been any more helpful, as were all the staff. Our room was good - but the Air Conditioning units are old and I'm not sure we would be happy staying more than a couple of nights. The beach area available (USD6.00 per day) is good, clean and safe. The bar area is good and the Hotel offer a free Rum Punch cocktail hour which is a nice gesture. The breakfast is not great, just muffins and toast on offer, but the breakfast staff were lovely and offered us coffee when we were having an early morning dip! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank walker92
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here with my family for 6 nights. At first I was very happy with the hotel, until I found numerous bugs in the room. No matter how clean the room was they were there. I also meet a few cockroaches right when I left the room. When we were settling in the housekeeper barged in to bring us the crib for our son. We appreciated her bringing it up, however a knock would have been appreciated. This left a bad taste on our first day. The blow dryer did not work, the beds weren't comfortable, breakfast was terrible with the same choices everyday. You only get wifi on the lobby, can't even pay extra for it in your room. The grounds are old and dusty, the pool is dirty and poorly cared for. I did experience some good customer service while I became ill. However what really put me over the edge is when we checked out. We had so much stuff with the baby and everything I forgot my expensive sweater and I phone charger. Less than 2 hours after we checked out my boyfriend went back and everyone claimed there was nothing left in the room. That was clearly a lie, I was so angry. Can't believe
after the business we gave them(the hotel was dead) they stole from us. It had to be the housekeeper or bellman who helped us with our luggage. When I tried to contact the hotel directly about the issue they ignored my emails and denied everything when I called. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you value your belongings and
privacy. Also various claims on their website were non existent and they have the highest rates for phone calls (even local) I have ever seen in Jamaica. I visit Jamaica often to see family and would never even consider staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014