“Was Well Pleased”

Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
nashville
“Was Well Pleased”
Reviewed 17 September 2006

I am a travel agent and had just returned from the lsland of Jamaica. This was my fifth visit to Jamaica and my very first stay on the "HIP STRIP". I did find the Doctors Cave Beach Hotel very friendly, clean and comfortable. I only eat breakfast by the poolside. Complimentary continental breakfast did consist of fruit, toast, coffee/tea and a muffin. I ordered a side dish of scrambled eggs an sausage and this was very tasty. The beach is across the street and there is a charge of $5.00 per person. Be sure to check out the ping pong table and or pool table for recreational activities. Overall, I did feel safe and would recommend this property to anyone who wants to stay at a budget type of hotel. The hotel also provides rum punch on Tuesday and Saturdays evening from 6pm-7pm.

• Liked — within walking distance to stores, beach and resturants
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — n/a
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
7 Thank phubbard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Dickinson TX
Reviewed 11 September 2006

This was our third trip to Jamaica and we decided to try something other than an all-inclusive this time. We had no trouble at all checking in, other than a short wait. Our room was larger than we expected, it had a separate sitting room with sofa and chairs. As we noted in the title, this is not a new hotel, but it was clean and comfortable. The bedroom area was the only portion with A/C, but the unit kept the room cool enough. Next time we might go with a smaller room.

The food at the hotel restaurant was good, although we only ate there at breakfast.

The hotel bar was nice, usually pretty low key although it was hopping Saturday night. All of the bartenders we encountered were friendly and provided good service and local info also.

The staff was friendly and helpful, in fact they reminded me a lot of the nice staff that took care of us at Sandals Inn during previous visits. The manager introduced himself and inquired about our stay.

All in all a positive experience.

• Liked — People, location, food
  • Disliked — A/C barely kept up
  • Tips/Secrets — The smaller rooms might cool better.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Hrdhitta
Orlando
Reviewed 15 August 2006

We had a tiny room with three single beds that came out to $170 a night with taxes. The hotel and restaurant were great, but not worth the price!

If you're going to Jamaica, I suggest you skip Montego Bay. Not much to see here besides drug dealers and prostitutes. Lots of pick pockets as well, my phone was stolen. I thought Mo Bay would be the safest city during my Jamaica visit, but I felt safer in Kingston!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank reaganp
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2006

First off, you should definitely not expect a fancy hotel. This is the perfect place for budget travellers looking for a friendly, and accomadating place. We got to the hotel without a reservation and the walk-up rate was only $92!! (summer season). We thought this was fantastic and took the offer. My father then realised he had left something on the bus from the airport to the hotel, and a very friendly man, Arnold, helped my father retrieve his items back again (my father had a great time with Arnold, and had a few beers with him at the airport bar). The staff talked and smiled at me while I was waiting for him to get back.

T he room was if anything above par and had an awesome balcony area outside to sit and look at the gardens. (the only bad thing I have to say about the room is that there was a madagascar cockroach in it the morning we woke up to leave, but we just laughed at that, he wasn't hurting anybody). Right next to our room was a nice sitting/dining area that I didn't see anybody use once, but it was nice and had shade. Right below that was a really awesome pool table and ping pong table (game room). My father and I made good use of that pool table (free) for a couple of hours. The pool is very nice and has a volleyball net.

The continental breakfast is sit down and it gives you 4 slices of toast, a muffin, a fruit plate, and coffee/tea/milk/juice/hot chocolate. You can also order something like an omelet to go along with it. The other bad thing was that the waiter was a bit slow and the food took just a little while to get out (not tooo long). The waiter forgot to fill my father's coffee cup so he had to get up twice while she was serving others.

Overall, the hotel was excellent, had great rates, had a nice Jamaican feel to it (it was next to all these plants and on Gloucester Ave, across from the beach, no views of the beach from the hotel however), the food was pretty good (service a little lousy), and had an awesome ping pong table, pool table, and pool. But remember, don't expect much, but it's the perfect hotel for budget travellers.

• Stayed June 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2006

I absolutely loved this hotel. I was there for 9 nights, all of them wonderful. 90 yards from the beach, and a few minutes walk to many stores, restaurants and activities. The staff was excellent, and the rooms were perfect. This is a great place to stay for someone on a budget. Do not get this confused with a five-star resort. I highly praise it, and am returning for a second visit shortly. Upon arrival the first day there, my companion became violently ill and the hotel staff took care of all the necessary arrangements to go to the hospital and back. If not for them, our trip would have been ruined. Very friendly and personable staff who take the time to get to know you. Secure and safe place to stay.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canada Bay, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2006

First off, Margaretaville is closer to 10 minutes walk rather than 3. Jamaica Bobsled Cafe is 3 minutes. A great spot if you're into pizza. Their crust is real thin. The veggie is scrumptious.

Yes, some of the rooms need some upgrading. Our poolside room (April 10-17th) was just great, well kept by "Lors". Plenty of clean towels daily. Beach towels are available at the service desk alongside the check-in desk. All the ice you need is either at the bar or down the hallway if you want a garbage container full for your wine & Red Stripe Beer.

I can understand the $US 50.00 deposit for a safety box key. It's applicable most places. There's huge expense to access a safe if you lose it, consequently the charge. You get it ALL back when you're thru with it's use or you check-out. It's a no-brainer.

Staff is just great. Breakfast can be a little slow but keep in mind it's the Jamaican Way. It worked just fine for us, dining leisurely rather than in a rush. You get to know people better that way. I don't know where those people came from referring to a Continental Breakfast. Our room rate included a full breakfast, no questions asked & we tried 'em all from Eggs Benedict to Egg-whites only omlette. All served first class.

Our only complaint would be it's not on the oceanside. Keeping in mind the ocean is right across the street. THUMBS UP!!!!

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank rok
Queens, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2006

My wife and 2 girls (8 & 12) stayed at The Doctors Cave Beach Hotel for 4 days and 3 nights so we could attend my brother in law's wedding at the Grandiosa up the hill. The hotel is fine for the price and served our needs. The room was spacious and clean with a balcony that let the ocean breeze come in. We had been given a king size (actually 2 twins stuck together) by mistake. The bell man said he would get a rollaway and by the time I got back from the beach-it was there. The grounds are small but well landscaped, lush and pretty and there is a ping pong table and pool table available for all (free). The staff were all friendly and helpful and the security was good (none of our visitors who live in Jamaica were allowed in unless we came to get them). The pool is small. Overall, this is a good hotel but if you want luxury-stay elseware.
My wife is Jamaican so I have been to Jamaica many times. I think MOBAY should be a starting or ending point due to the proximity of the airport. Negril and Ocho Rios are nicer and Port Antonio, where my wife is from, looks like Hawaii. Unless you are staying at an all inclusive or other hotel on the beach, you have access to 3 beaches. The best is the Doctors Cave across the street to the left. It is $5.00 US to get in and well worth it-you can get in for free after about 4 or 5 to catch the sunset or get an ice cream, beef patty or dinner at a restaurant and sit on the beach. There is security. (chairs and umbrellas are available for $5.00 each)Be sure to go early (most shade) as it gets crowded and get your hand stamped if you want to return. Another nice (free) beach is out the door, across the street and to the right-an easy 10 min at most walk. The water is crystal clear and the beach is remarkably clean for a public beach. Lastly, The 3rd beach is past Margaritaville's-across from a Burger King. It is a decent walk but, unlike the other beaches-there is little shade (none of the beaches has natural shade in the afternoon as they face West but all are very calm)
Besides the Doctor's Cave Beach eateries, The Pelican Restauraunt down Gloucster Ave to the left-10 min walk is excellent. Reasonable prices (for Jamaica), excellent service (for Jamaica) and cozy-air conditioned with many booths and a large fish tank that the kids will love. During the day, it overlooks the ocean-the public beach mentined earlier is just a few hundred yards to the left. Lastly, wheather you stay at the DCBH or not, by all means have breakfast (Jamaican and pancakes/french toast etc) at the hotel poolside restaurant. A tasty, full breakfast for all of us was less than $25.00. The setting is nice and there is plenty of shade in the morning. Unfortunatly, all the reviews that mentioned the local riff raff on the street are true but if you want an inexpensive hotel for a few nights that is good-this place is fine. Unfortunately, everything else in Jamaica-especially transportation is expensive. So while Negril/Ocho Rios is 1 1/2 to 2 hours away (in opposte directions), unless you get a prearranged trip-you could pay alot.

• Stayed March 2006