“Location, location, location”

Ranked #33 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Oklahoma
“Location, location, location”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Mo-Bay Club is the best way to enjoy Jamaica like a local. I stayed in studio apartment 1206 for three weeks. I will never stay at a resort/all-inclusive hotel again. The apartment was clean. The amenities include washer, dryer, fully furnished kitchen with utensils, room safe, AC, iron, hair dryer, extra pillows, blankets, beach towels etc... Apartment has everything you would have in your own home! I picked up the keys from the switchboard and that was it. Security was helpful about finding a taxi if needed. There is a supermarket/mini grocery on the 2nd floor where you can purchase anything from meat patties to toilet paper; 2 liter of soda to condoms; Guiness beer to internet access; fresh fruit to credit for your pre-paid phone Digicel, Claro, or Lime.
Supermarket prices were higher so if you dont mind walking a few blocks I suggest getting it cheaper just down the street @ food4less. You cannot beat this location. Directly across the street from Doctors Cave Beach and blocks away from Margaritaville, Western Union, Digicel. If you want fresh fruit there is a woman that sells mangos, bananas, papayas, & pineapple daily. She always sits with her basket under the spiral staircase as you exit onto Gloucester/Hip Strip. I stayed here for two and a half weeks. One complaint was that the elevator was broken twice and with the building having 14 floors and me being on the the 12th it was an unexpected workout. 10 flights of stairs for that many people is not nice. I was traveling alone and felt safe even when I came in at 4:30 am because security was always there at the elevators and after hours they have to let you in to the elevators. Great place to stay and entry to Doctors Cave Beach is US $5. I will be back to Montego Bay Club!

• Stayed July 2011
7 Thank island_gyal78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We stayed at this resort becasue of the price and location!! GREAT price and the location was AWESOME!!!. and There was a AWESOME AWESOME view from our condo. We stayed in 805, and the owner HENRY!! was very helpfu and funny!! It mad use feel more comfortable!! The location was great for the beach and getting a taxi!! WE took a few trips to the Pork Pit!!! What anesome food there!! mmmmm

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank peachiz28
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I stayed here for eleven days and cannot say that I had a bad day.It is an ideal place if you do not need all the touristy trappings of a resort or hotel. Our unit was fully furnished with all basic amenities. Microwave,fridge, air condition, and a view of Dr's Cove beach that was incomparable. At night we sat on the balcony and checked out the street activities and sipped our beverage.We had one incident of moth like insects that came in following the light...but they were easy to get rid of. For cheap eats on a daily basis you must go to Mo'Bay Proper. Try thier steam fish. Awesome. The owner " Stretch" is a really nice person. Plus you can hang out at lesiure with wifi connect throught the place.Brownman's jerk chicken is a must. Night vendor on the strip.

Room Tip: Speak to Mrs Scott
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank florinder
Alberta
Reviewed 2 February 2011

When I first saw the building I was not thrilled, the outside of the building is grungy and dirty. It actually reminded me of an old cruddy apartment in the projects. The inside had the same kind of feel. Don't book here expecting a luxury resort, because it's not.

When I walked into the room (401) my heart just kinda sank. I had a similar feeling about this place that I had about another place that I did not like in Mexico which if you have read my previous reviews you KNOW which place I am talking about.

As I settled in I always have an attitude of "let's make the best of this" but in the back of my mind I was thinking that I should stop letting my wife book our vacation accommodations.

The more time I spent in the room, the more it grew on me. It was actually a cute little apartment. The room had a table for two, a king size bed, full kitchenette with full size fridge, a full bathroom, and a sink outside the bathroom which was handy to brush your teeth or put on sunscreen while someone else showered. There was also a nice balcony off the bedroom area that featured a lounge chair and a table and chair set where you could enjoy a nice meal outside.

Even though the building itself was grubby, the room was very clean. And the cleaning staff was very good. They cleaned the room every 2 days like clockwork. The owner called from time to time to check on us which was very nice I thought. And Mr. James the man who picked us up and dropped us off at the airport was an awesome gentleman.

One major complaint for me was the internet, there was no internet in the room. You had to go up to the top floor and use the internet from the El Greco resort which was usable in the pool area.

The only other thing that bothered me was the noise from the street on the "hip strip" all times of day and night losers with booming stereos drive up and down the hip strip blasting their stereo so loud that you can FEEL it, and it sets off every car alarm in the neighborhood which gets annoying.

We stayed for 14 days, and at the end of it #401 felt like home.

If you are going to stay in Mobay, I would give this little place a chance if you are an independent traveler that does not need luxury accommodations, but rather a homey little bachelor pad that you can call home while you check out the sites and sounds of Mobay.

Also keep in mind that all units are independently owned so if you are not staying in #401, you might have a different experience than ours.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank isladreams
washington dc
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Perfect getaway, affordable, clean and great location. Beach is only a step away, nightlife and eateries all within steps of the resort. Great decor in unit very relazing and comfortable your home away from home. Would recommend to all to take advantage of Glenn/ Roots units available within in the Resort. Mary L.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank summer1153
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I stayed in room 407....very clean....beautifully decorated. Great view from balcony and wonderful furniture on the balcony. Had a wonderful time in Montego Bay....loved the food at the Pork Pit right in walking distance. Loved grabbing a cab to go to the shopping area. Just one warning...stay away from Richard --, a maintenance man at the resort...he will try to hustle and rob you and stay away from the Manager, Edgar --.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank unionbabe
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 November 2010

This was my first trip to Montego Bay. Montego Bay Club is a building with privately owned units. The unit we stayed in was very well maintained, comfortable and clean. Plenty of towels and linen were provided, and the kitchen contained everything we needed, except food. Maid service was available if we wanted it but we chose not to use it on a daily basis. The views from the unit, pool and lounge area are absolutely spectacular. There was certainly not a shortage of things to do in the area. Doctors Cave Beach is located right across the street, and Margaretville is a short walk down the street. There is even a Casino down the street that had wonderful live music and very inexpensive food. I think the best part of Montego Bay Club is that it is located 5 minutes from the airport, which allows you to start and vacation almost immediately upon arrival in Montego Bay. I would certainly recommend Montego Bay Club to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple