“Best Location on Hip Strip - Great Sea Views!”

Montego Bay Club Resort
Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Location on Hip Strip - Great Sea Views!”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Probably the best thing about this place is the location. It is right in the middle of everything to do in Montego Bay. You can walk to all the great restaurants, shopping but best of all it is across from Doctor's Cave Beach.

The apartments in the building are individually owned so the individual units vary. The condo I stayed in was clean and spacious. I liked the idea that I could cook my own meals if I wanted to and liked the extra space the condo gave. Also was nice to have a washing machine. It felt like home away from home and I was really sad to leave.

HomeAway.com is a great place to find montego bay club rentals by owner. Anyplace that mentions "across from doctor's cave" is probably montego bay club. The resort use to have a rental office on site, but i hear there were problems with the management so they no longer do it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Eloine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kansas
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed for the holiday and we loved every minute of it. I must say that this is not a hotel, so don't go to the front desk if there are ants in your room or if you need more towels. The front desk people where very helpful in contacting the owner of my condo, but that is all they can do. I must say for the price I paid for the week, it was worth it. I had called several other places and used my Jamaican accent to secure the Jamaican rates for a week and they all were far more expensive.
We are a family 5 with severe allergies to foods, so we had to prepare all our meals at the condo, and we had everything we needed. Just make sure to clean up right after cooking because ants will come out of no where. I think it's just a tropical thing. I stayed in a 4 star hotel in the Bahamas and if I left food out ants just showed up to dine.
Don't charter a cab because they will charge you a lot more than the regular taxis. Ask locals how to get around. Use the term "Bottom Road" if you are wanting to get back to the condo. Use "Cathrine Hall" to get to MegaMart using the regular taxis. BE SMART!
The market in the building was a disappointment because everything was over priced, and they didn't have what I needed. There is a real supper market in town called MegaMart. They sell everything we have in the states. When you are buying from people on the streets check the price with 2 different vendors. Ask how much in Jamaican money if they start telling you US dollars. Always pay in Jamaican currency and ask for your change because they don't just give money back.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in beautiful JAMAICA.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank memejohnson
Toronto
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We have Wintered at the Mo Bay Club Resort for the past 12 years, for two to three months each time. The owners we have rented from have treated us like family. The apartments have always been clean with everything we needed .The staff, always friendly and helpful.Convenient Store and Beauty Salon on second floor of the building.
Located on the Hip Strip, and across the street from Doctors Cave Beach, and a two minute walk from Coral Cliff, [Casino] with the best live music in town.
The most wonderful thing of all is the "MILLION DOLLAR VIEW", of beach, mountains, city lights, ocean, cruise ships and spectacular sun sets.
Everyone should visit Jamaica at least once in their lifetime, and when you do, use the Mo Bay Club as home base.
We will continue to do so.
Thanks for reading this review
Barry and Elizabeth

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LizbarToronto
Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2009

The location was perfect. It's located on the Hip Strip which has the Gift Shops, Clubs, Casino, one of the Beach entry points & an ATM across the street that provides JMD (Jamaican Currency) or USC. During my visit I had the chance to stay in a Studio and Suite during my two (2) week stay. The Studio was nice but the kitchen is almost the size of a bathroom it's so small. You have a full refrigerator, small oven, sink & little counter section. The Suite was much nicer with a somewhat larger kitchen.Here are some of the key pros & cons to the place:

(1) Do not visit this place and expect Sheraton/Hyatt/Hilton service for your value;
(2) The Maid visits every other day (I had to re-wash the dishes before I used them due to not being fully cleaned).
(3) The place is in need of some serious dusting.
(4) There is a serious Ant problem in alot of these rooms (luckily I had my "Off" spray can and was able to stop the mile long ant travel section going up the side of the kitchen wall. The ants just continued to pop up on the floor or counters so I had to keep an eye out at all times when in the kitchen trying to cook.
(5) Keep your balcony door shut because the flying bugs come in. (Almost every night I woke up to see something crawling on the ceiling and one night I had to remove a bug off my pillow).
(6) The roaches are the size of miniature mice. Keep the trash off the floor. There is a trash disposal opening in the hallway near the one (1) elevator used by all the guest.
(6) I had small complaints such as light bulbs not working or balcony door not locking. Maintenance showed up within 24 hours to add lights and secure the door with a stick to keep it from opening.
(7) These units also have switches that operate the electrical outlets, hot water or the stove. You have to make sure the switches are turned on before you complain about something not working. One of the units had the Hot & Cold Water latches switched so I had to remember this in order to take a hot shower (Leave it to me not to figure this out until the next day after I took a seriously cold shower the first day of arrival).
(8) Check the stove to ensure it working. Only two (2) of my stove eyes were working. I was told the other one couldn't be fixed until later in the week.
(9) Wipe off the balcony furniture before using or you will be very dirty.
(10) The pots and pans are in need of serious replacement.
(11) Check the iron to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom before placing on your clothes.
(12) Some of the TV's in the units are not operating correctly.

I had another friend who stayed in the building and wondered why the refrigerator had two (2) towels on the floor posted in front of it. I was told the refrigerator leaked and the stove only had one (1) eye working that sparked (she did not use it again after this).

I had the opportunity to visit multiple units and experienced issues from Ant's invading the microwave or kitchen, Shower curtain falling, etc.

Like I stated earlier, the condo is in a fabulous location but needs to be kept up by the owners. From the looks of the place, it's as if they do the "bare" minimum to keep up their units and some don't even seem to do that. It's about getting the money. This can be a lovely location if only the owners decided to take an interest in the upkeep of the units.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank JustMy0pini0n
montego bay
Reviewed 17 January 2009

The club is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are nice and clean. I love sitting on the balcony with my rum and watching the planes coming in and landing at the airport. When i went downstairs to the lower level it was closed to the restaurants,shops and night clubs. The staff were great, but most importantly the security at the hotel made me feel safe and secure.
doug from new york.

oh by the way coming back in mid feb. 2009

• Liked — balcony view
  • Disliked — check in area needs work.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank dougyfresh
Stouffville
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I love Mobay Club. I stay for three months and I just love it . Cruise ships passing by. Super view., right on the hip strip 24 hour secirity, very friendly staff. Thee best beach I have ever been on. Great for family's and affordable.Pool up stair's bar restaurant fresh grogeries every Wednesday, from local farmer's that bring fresh vedegtables. What more could you ask for . Great grogery store down on the main floor laundry, facsilities. Oh and thee view is out of this world.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank hammersStouffville
NYC
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Like earlier reviews have said it is not a hotel. I rented a one bedroom from the owner and boy did I have a great time. My place was cleaned every other day. There is 24 hour security. I went shopping at the new Mega Mart which is like our BJs or Coscos. Was right near everything. My view was of Doctor's Cave beach. Listen you will have a great stay if you get the right room. I am booking my place for next year and I know that I will be staying here every year. No need to change a good thing. I will be trying to post the pictures.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends