“Almost perfect”

Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
London, England, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I checked into Relax Resort for 6 nights at short notice after checking out of another horrible hotel. Although I was accommodated, it became clear after i checked out that the price I was charged by the female front desk staff was at the top end without any discussions. I had guess visiting me which seem to be a problem to the manager of the hotel, he summons me to the office and almost reprimanded me for not signing in my guest. There was an assumption on the managers part that i knew about the policy of signing guest and that I was deliberately ignoring policy. The managers tone and mannerism was absolutely horrible.

The hotel rooms where like self contained apartments with, a kitchen area, microwave and a mini fridge. Other than the mannerism in which the manager spoke to me, the roaches (pest) the only other problem.

The hotels location is 3 mins away from the airport on a hill with a clear view of the hotel run way, its location does not affect sleeping. Local taxi from town will take you back to the hotel should you go shopping, site seeing, the hip strip or any other business away from the hotel. Free parking and Wifi is essential for me, both were available.

i have to acknowledge the male front desk staff (forgotten his name) who was very understanding when making my reservation, he made every effort to ensure that my stay was a great one. He mostly work evenings Jamaican time, he will do what ever it takes to ensure you are looked after.

I would go back there purely based on the location, privacy, the tranquility and the front desk staff, I did not use the pool, or other services as i was not really in the hotel.

Room Tip: Older AC's are not that good, compare prices with kitchen area and rooms with non kitchen area
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bobzta-Bobby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Simcoe, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We were to fly home on Feb.16 and our flight was cancelled so West Jet announced they were putting us in 5 star resorts and we would be taken care of and given food and drinks. Many went to a 5 star resort but about 30 of us ended up at this scuzzy hotel.
I wanted to cry. The room was filthy. The toilet seat had pubic hair and slimy stuff on the toilet seat. The tub was moldy and rusty, shower curtain moldy, toilet bowl was filthy! Windows were broke and screens ripped and bars on the windows. One station for t.v and it hummed and jumped up down (picture) impossible to watch. No bottled water in the rooms. One sheet on bed with dirty and bloody stained bedspread and pillows from a couch with pillow case on for pillow. We were not given food or water until 11:45pm and arrived around 8:30pm. Chicken dinner was just ok. and the breakfast was not good and no choice offered. My husband turned hot water on and there was none, no blow dryer or boxes of kleenex. The bed was in very bad shape. I slept in my clothes on top of bed with no bedspread and didn't open my suitcases afraid something would crawl in them. We took a cab to the airport in morning as I couldn't stand being there anymore and didn't want to wait for our bus at 1 pm. to go to airport. I would have rathered stay at the airport over night at least there was cleaner conditions. The room smelled of mold and mildew. The hotel was hosting a Jamaican wedding and this was the managers reasoning for us not get any food or drinks until late that night. I was told when I called the front desk saying I was thirsty that there was a bar and I could go buy a drink. When I told her West Jet said we were going to a 5 star all inclusive resort she said take it up with West Jet and hung up on me. The kitchen staff were friendly and apologized for the delays and the grounds were very pretty, those were the only positives of this place. Also looked like it was on the beaten path in a not so good area. I didn't feel very comfortable or safe there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 6roses18

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2013

It was just our luck that we had to end our vacation at this resort. We were supposed to fly back home on Friday February 8th. Unfortuately Eastern U.S was hit with a snow storm and caused a massive delay to all flights out. West Jet had to find accomodations for over 100 couples and families and this was the hotel that they shipped us off to at 1;00 a.m. The place upon first appearance looks like a quaint, moderate hotel.The front desk staff are very well organized and pleasant. We were assigned to a 3rd floor room. It was deemed a suite, this was because it had a counter with a coleman like stove, a bar sink and a small undercounter fridge sitting in the middle of the room. We entered the room to find the TV audio on full blast on the only TV station available. The room had air conditioning but the noise of the unit was so loud we had to turn it off. The room was really dated, the king size bed had one sheet on it that covered half the matress, the bathroom had only one light bulb out of three working, which was probably a good thing, because every time we turned on the lights the coachroaches scurried to find a secure dark space. The wall over our bed had two geico's running above it, needless to say, I wanted my husband to try and find us other accomodations that night so we didn't have to stay at this hell hole. As it was really late, he convinced me to drink a few beers and we slept on the lounge chairs beside the little pool they had. I snapped a bunch of pictures to share with my family and friends once we got home to show them what we had to endure. the funny thing is the pictures of the place didn't look that bad. So my advice is don't be fooled by the website pictures as they are almost the same pictures I took of the place and it doesn't look that bad on the web, but it's not the reality. If you are on a budget stay at the Sunset All inclusive, it is a much better choice. I would give this place a 1/2 star rating.

Room Tip: No room is good at this place
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tamara F
Geneva
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Friendly and helpful staff but the rooms could do with a bit of TLC.
The fact that the place was practically empty didn't help since breakfast choice were very limited and bar closed.
However conveniant for the aiport and not much noise from it so makes it a quieter location then downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Castaway007
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Booked the hotel through my travel agent because the pics of the property looked nice enough and they advertised on their website that their rooms had blackout curtains. This is important to me because its the setting that I prefer to write in. However, when I got to the room, I was greeted by beautiful and bright sunshine coming through my window (not a complaint), however, the accompanying heat was like I was still standing outside. It seems they're so cheap at this resort that they didn't consider that I might have wanted my air conditioning turned on before I got to the room. You would think I hadn't confirmed my reservation before getting there. The blackout curtains to help alleviate this heat were nowhere to be seen. I called the front desk and I told the agent that the main reason I booked this place is because blackout curtains for the rooms was advertised on their website and if she couldn't find me a room that had them, I would be leaving. She put me on hold for about two minutes only to come back and tell me they had no such feature in any of their rooms. Needless to say, I left. What upset me was how removed the manager was from the situation when I got back to the front desk. No apology, no remorse evident, no offering to find another solution. NOTHING. She was just standing there. Its as if they really don't need the business. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Guest relations and satisfaction doesn't seem to be their first priority and judging from some of the other reviews I've read, the only thing they have going for them are their employees.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Abbie422
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Stayed there back in December 2011 when some friends of ours were getting married, and it was really good. It was better than we expected and we are right now planning another stay there in the next few weeks. Price is perfect!

Room Tip: If you get a room upstairs, then you will get a view of the entire city both day and night!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patrick M
Montego Bay
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I must say I have been to relax resort and it was an amazing experience for me and my family. It catered to our needs-peace and quiteness. This resort is perfect for people who wants to get away from a noisy environment. I was surrounded by nature to its fullest. Though the beach was not very close by, there is a pool at my family's advantage. Also, the resort provided shuttle services to the beaches close by. The staff there were extremely courteous and warm. Always ready to attend to our requests. The food was very appetizing especially their Jamaican breakfast. All in all I would definately go back and will definately reurn to Relax Resort. It was really a relaxing resort.

Room Tip: For a family setting room C208-C210 is a good choice
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family