“owners are the problem”

Ranked #43 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Auckland, New Zealand
“owners are the problem”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This hotel could be the number 1 destination in Jamaica, however, that wont happen bcz of the owners. I stayed at this resort last December with some friends and it was really horrible there, i got an upgraded room which was ok, after I requested to see the room I originally booked, I said to myself, "I bet i wont like the room," the owner of the Hotel told me that I only come to his hotel to create problem in an aggressive tone. It was really rude and I thought he would have good customer service skills. They said meals are cook to order, yet they served me a rotten fish for dinner, it was the most disgusting thing I ever tasted and it has this nasty smell. There was this nice bartender guy, he told me the managers are the owners, and they are the one that told them to cook meals and store them in the refrigerator to save money, sometime for weeks it will be in the refrigerator, then they would heat it up in the microwave and serve it to guest like my fish. when he told me about this my stomach was sick. I don't even eat food that is left over in my own refrigerator, The Hotel is in a troublesome community and they don't have securities at days this is not a safe hotel, Yet they said they have 24hrs security. The only thing that is nice about this hotel are the staff and close proximity to the airport, the place is sort of clean but, I would never go back or recommend anyone to this hotel bcz of the owners.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Relax Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience.
We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Relax Resort has been owned by the same family for decades and the owners are committed to providing a welcoming environment. If you were served food that wasn't fresh, please know that this was a mistake and will not happen again. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Galanta, Slovakia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel in february 2013 for 4 nights. Usually I am reading reviews before i chose a place to stay, but this time i didnt have a chance, cause the hotel was chosen by my boyfriend ( he is jamaican ). Few days ago i came here to look at the reviews and it was quite surprising to find so many bad things about this place. I think the location was good, it was quiet there and if you want to go to hip strip , you can take a local cab just few minutes from the hotel for a very cheap price. ( dont take the hotel taxi, they charge you a lot ) Hotel also have a shuttle to and from the beach. Doctors cave beach is an amazing beach and its just few minutes by car. If you dont want to go to the beach, you can spend a day by pool, thats big enough and has a clean water. We didnt have any serious problems with room either ( maybe just that the walls were thin and you could hear people from other rooms ) , there was a fridge and i found the bed comfortable to sleep. We didnt really use the restaurant that was there, cause you can find much cheaper places on hip strip. We did have a breakfast once though and it was good. All together, I liked my stay at relax resort and wouldnt mind going back there again. I think its a reasonable price for what you are going to get.. if you want something more luxurious, then there are many other places in Mobay that you can go, dont expect a 5 star hotel for this price. Also the airport is very close, but we didnt really hear any noises that would bother us, not during the day or night.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jordan, Montana
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel charges you a $50 cash security deposit upon arrival. They also charge you $2 a day to use the safe in your room. They charged my husband $1 to warm up some food in the microwave in the front office. If you want a hotel close to the airport, this is the one for you. It is about a 2 minute drive from the airport, but a 10 minute drive from the Hip Strip. Taxis are very expensive. Expect to pay $20 just to get to your hotel from the airport. Try to find a local driver who will take you down for $100 Jamaican dollars each way. Also eat at local restaurants. The Pork Pit had very good food and reasonable prices. We used the free beaches every day. There is a nice free beach right next to Doctor's Cave Beach. Enter thru Biggs. The hotel was adequate but not fancy. All furnishings are somewhat dated. The Wi Fi worked great all thru our 6 day stay. We won't stay here again because of the distance to town and the expense of the taxis. If you had your own car it would be ok to stay here. We did not encounter any cockroaches or bedbugs in this hotel but we did have a lizard in our room for a few hours. The view from our balcony was awesome. Watching the planes land and take off provided us with much entertainment, but we were not bothered at all by any noise. The hotel offers a shuttle to town at 10am and 2pm daily. Use it when possible. Also use the shuttle to get to the airport. Another suggestion is to go to the airport 3 hours ahead of your flight time. We went 2 hours ahead and almost missed our flight cuz the line going thru security was a mile long.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Laurie O

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for our last 2 days of our honeymoon after traveling around jamaika and staying in various hotels and resorts and I have to say we were plasently surprised!
After staying the 4 days before we went there at the gran Bahia at run away bay,where we felt very comfortable,we where close to cancel the trip to Montego Bay,we are so glad we didn't!
This can't be compared to an all exclusive luxury resort,off course,but anyway there is no need to do so!
It's not an fancy hotel,no this one gets his speciality in the outstanding friendly stuff!-they made us feel like we are special guests at theire home and they took care of us in such a special,friendly way!
Everything was very clean,even you can notice that it isn't a new hotel,but that can have it charme too!
When we arrived our room was decorated with fresh flowers everywhere and every detail was taken care off in such an nice way,so we felt relaxed from the first second on we arrived!
For sure it is a special place to go,when you are in Jamaica,this might have been the place,where we felt the most,that we are in Jamaica,and I mean this in absolute positiv way!
Would we go back?-we already made a note,that when going back to the beautiful Jamaica,we have to stay for me than just 2 days there!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erictraver
Missouri
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed at Relax Resort as a transfer hotel from Ocho Rios to the airport. We arrived and left in the dark, and I'm glad. The room was clean, but very old. Old curtains, the curtain in the bathroom was down when we arrived. There was no blanket on the beds only a spread that looked 20 years old and a sheet. The beds were small and the room very small. I was worried all night, and woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat. I would use it to transfer if you needed to be at the airport at 5am like we did, but I would never spend a vacation there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tracey1368
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stay 2 nights 3 days, and I was relax. The staff was friendly and welcoming. Had a good view,only draw back too close to airport, but not too close to be disturbed. Need to include real breakfast,I have stay at hotel cheaper and real breakfast was included, not just toast and coffee.

Room Tip: Room 309-312
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I checked into Relax Resort for 6 nights at short notice after checking out of another horrible hotel. Although I was accommodated, it became clear after i checked out that the price I was charged by the female front desk staff was at the top end without any discussions. I had guess visiting me which seem to be a problem to the manager of the hotel, he summons me to the office and almost reprimanded me for not signing in my guest. There was an assumption on the managers part that i knew about the policy of signing guest and that I was deliberately ignoring policy. The managers tone and mannerism was absolutely horrible.

The hotel rooms where like self contained apartments with, a kitchen area, microwave and a mini fridge. Other than the mannerism in which the manager spoke to me, the roaches (pest) the only other problem.

The hotels location is 3 mins away from the airport on a hill with a clear view of the hotel run way, its location does not affect sleeping. Local taxi from town will take you back to the hotel should you go shopping, site seeing, the hip strip or any other business away from the hotel. Free parking and Wifi is essential for me, both were available.

i have to acknowledge the male front desk staff (forgotten his name) who was very understanding when making my reservation, he made every effort to ensure that my stay was a great one. He mostly work evenings Jamaican time, he will do what ever it takes to ensure you are looked after.

I would go back there purely based on the location, privacy, the tranquility and the front desk staff, I did not use the pool, or other services as i was not really in the hotel.

Room Tip: Older AC's are not that good, compare prices with kitchen area and rooms with non kitchen area
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo