“Not As Bad As I Feared”
Review of Grandiosa Hotel

Grandiosa Hotel
Ranked #16 of 45 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2013

After reading all the painfully negative reviews on the Grandiosa, I wondered if I had made a huge mistake selecting it for a one night stay at an inexpensive hotel near Montego Bay airport.

We arrived on the island at 7:30 p.m., the night before our check-in day at the resort we selected for our vacation. I called the Grandiosa after clearing customs and they dispatched a driver to pick us up. The shuttle is free during daytime hours, however a $15.00 fee is charged at night. Turns out it would have been faster just to take a taxi at the airport for the same price.

Check-in was fast and efficient and the front office clerk and bell hop were very pleasant. We stayed in room #5; located on the first floor and overlooking the swimming pool. The room was clean, we had warm (not hot) water in the shower and the air conditioning unit worked. The free wireless internet connection also worked, which apparently is not always the case (the hotel states that the connection is available in the common areas and not specifically in any room). Problems noted with the room included a warped bathroom door which would not close all the way and an outdated safe, for which a key was needed to operate but not supplied at check-in. We could hear some traffic noise from inside our room but it was not overbearing. There was no music noise at all, but it was a Sunday night (maybe a problem on Friday and Saturday).

Before retiring, we went to the bar and had our free welcome cocktail (rum punch) and a couple of Red Stripe beers. The bartender was friendly and gave us lots of attention as we were his only customers.

Before checking out, we had breakfast at the restaurant. My wife had a bacon, cheese and green pepper omelet and I had eggs, toast and a side order of pancakes. Our breakfast was O.K., but nothing special. Our bill was about $22.00 including coffee, service fee and taxes.

All in all, the Grandiosa was not as bad as I had feared. It's certainly not the Hilton, or even the Best Western for that matter; but it proved to meet our needs for a one night stay. Special thanks to Martha for handling my pre-booking questions and post-stay transfer to our vacation destination.

Room Tip: The closer you are to the swimming pool, the better your chances are of the internet connection work...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sceneisle

Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel was not as advertised , old bedding, outdated furniture and bathroom. I wouldn't stay there for an hour , my family checked in and then checked right out. The pool was nasty and the restaurant looked unsanitary . The only positive thing about this hotel was the staff and the Internet service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Flyfree2
Reviewed 2 August 2013

It is more motel than hotel. There is no elevator, not wheel chair accessible. Climbed 36 steps to my room on the 2nd floor. The room was spacious with a king size bed, small table and chairs and a refrigerator. The A.C. was nice and cold.The bathroom had two towels no washcloths. The shower curtain had mildew on it. The water pressure is very low and no hot water. The room was overlooking the pool which had what looked like moss on the corners inside the water, it needed a good cleaning. The pool didn't look clean like the pics on Expedia. Needless to say no one went into the pool. The food at the restaurant is pricey for 2 omelettes with toast, pot of coffee and juice it cost almost $30. It would be better if u stay at a all inclusive when u add up the cost of the meals plus the room. Also there is no entertainment so nothing to do at the hotel. It is true u get what u pay for. Cheaper is never better. This place is only suited for a one nighter or for someone who only wants somewhere to sleep. If u are looking for a fantastic hotel/resort this ain't it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamaica_Beach_Bum
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My wife and I checked in for a 7 night stay. The room was clean and came with a fridge. Nothing to complain about other than noticing a few small ants in the room. Other than that The Grandiosa was a great hotel to come back to after running around all day. Staff was really friendly and helpful. Best budget friendly hotel in Montego Bay!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Xavier X
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Cheap and very simple hotel. We needed just one night to explore Montego bay, so was OK, views beautiful if you get a room overlooking the bay. Its high on the hill, you can walk down to the town, but up.... you will need taxi, which not that cheap there. Don't expect much out of this place. Try Jamaican breakfast omlet, I fell in love with it

Room Tip: with view, didnt see other rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MalikaEp
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Thought the price was good so check in initially for 8 nights, however checked out after 2 nights. I am not too bothered about thrills, but this hotel did not have the basics. The room i got was spacious but had no fridge, no safe or microwave and no wifi connection. After speaking to the team at reception they explained that a mini fridge would be an extra $10 US per night, no microwave would be provided and the wifi is accessible in the public spaces. For the 2 days i was there had to sit a pool side which was the only place that wifi worked, at the poolside was the main road loud noisy and disturbing. What really initiated the move from this hotel, was when I asked for my food to be warmed up in the microwave in the main kitchen and the request was refused.

I was moved from one room to another with a fridge at no extra cost, but the wifi problem persisted and the fact that they would not warm my food up, i felt this was not a place for me. I did not go back to the staff as I was of the opinion they thought i was being difficult, other arrangment where made through my agent, and my money was refunded

Room Tip: Get a corner room, for the beach get pool front room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bobzta-Bobby
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed at the Grandiosa near the Montego Bay Airport before arriving at our resort the next day. After traveling most of the day spending the night someplace easy to get to was our plan. The hotel is clean, courtious, with decent food. We stayed on the top floor as we wanted a view of the sea. No elevators were available. The staff was very helpful with the luggage. The restaurant is right on the premises and the staff is very helpful. The drawbacks were near a busy noisy road and no water pressure for the morning shower. They are trying very hard although not quite suitable for longer than a night.

Room Tip: Get the top floor although poor water pressure in shower.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple