“Paradise”

Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Paradise”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This resort was truly amazing , everybody was very friendly and attentive to our needs. The rooms were beautiful and there were endless options for food and drink.I would encourage any one who is looking to vacation in Jamacia to stay at at Secrets St.James it was the best vacation I had ever been on.

Ps. Spending some extra money to stay in the preferred club is completely worth it.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,347)
  • Czech first
Lauderhill, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Excellent stayed. Hotel is top class, and staff were wonderful. I have stayed at a lost of hotels in Jamaica and this is the best so far.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We recently went to the Secrets St James for a mini vacation. We enjoyed our time but there are defintely some pluses and minuses to the resort.

When initially looking at the resort online it appeared that the Wild Orchid and St James although connected were still kind of seperate. Not the case at all. My husband and I stayed on the St James side and actually I think this is where you want to stay to avoid any evening noise or early morning noise from people that are coming or going from the restaurants. We had a great room that had an ocean view, a large soaking tub and a good sized room. I wish the room was a little cleaner, the corners were still dusty and it didn't look like the door to the toilet had been wiped down in quite some time and the sink looks great but functions horribly as water spills everywhere. Our favorite feature of the room was the room service box... it's nice to order and have them just place your order in the box.

There are nine restaurants and several lounges and bars to choose from. Our first night we ate at the World Cafe and enjoyed the buffet. Dinner was good and the made to order filets were my favorite. We also ate here daily for breakfast. The next night we ate at the Japanese restaurant. Not the best Japanese I've ever but the hibachi grill chef's were rather entertaining. I have to say this was one of my favorite meals during my time here. However, dessert was horrible. I love my sweets and the lychee mousse was more like whip cream with chunks of lychee. Rather disappointing. The Blue Mountain Jamaican restaurant was okay. The appetizers were horrible!! The main course conch was tasty but rather chewy for conch. The Italian restaurant was okay but don't get the bruschetta. When it came out I had to bite my tongue to not laugh. There were a few crunchy toasted baguette slices along with a miniature boat of tomatoes in oil. All in all.... it's nice to have several choices to choose from for lunch and dinner however, if you are looking for an amazing culinary experiecne, this it not the vacation for you. Also take note.... THE BEST FOOD AT THE RESORT IS THE JERK CHICKEN CART THAT COMES DOWN THE BEACH DAILY. Make sure you get some of this chicken!! It's messy and delicious. If you're looking for a nice snack the barefoot grill is good for a bit out on the beach.

As for nightlife, it was fun to have something different to see each night. There was a different act in the theater nightly, we absolutely loved the piano bar and we were totally bummed that there was no piano player there our last night as Andre is great!! My husband even sang along... Desires is a great place to let loose and do some dancing! If you're looking for something a little quieter... go to the lounge bar just off the lobby of the St James. Look for Allando and he'll take great care of you.

The spa is also fabulous!!! There co-ed relaxation area is great. A few of the stations in the main hydrotherapy could stand to be fixed and the lounges in the hydrotherapy need a little attention but it's great to go through each station within the spa. The treatments were great and we enjoyed our couples massage.

Beach... chairs are pretty easy to come by but I have a feeling if the resort was busier that this may prove a little difficult. The beach was okay... but a little rocky in places. Definitely the St James beach is better than the Wild Orchid side.

All in all we enjoyed our time here. The food is not the best but having various options to choose from were nice to have. The nightly entertainment was great and we enjoyed the time on the beach! Once again... make sure to get some Jerk Chicken from the Jerk Cart!!

If you plan to leave the resort make sure to hire a cab. When shopping at any of the gift stores in town... make sure to keep track of how much you are spending! Many of the shops are owned by Indians, they simply total up your purchases on a calculator and then tell you how much. So make sure you know how much you're putting in your basket and be ready to do a little haggling. Be ware that some of the stores in town mark prices up as well... Keep in mind that there is some great shopping to be done at the airport on the way out and prices are very reasonable.

Room Tip: St James side rooms are a little quieter however, you will hear the night club from the resort next...
5 Thank Style308
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2012

SUMMARY:

We stayed here from May 16 – May 26.

Reasons being are that the staff are so wonderful, the food is very good (by in large), the hotel was very nice in terms of its setting and cleanliness, etc. They say all good things come to an end, though the experiences we had at Secrets St. James and Secrets Wild Orchid, together with our fond memories will last a lifetime. I will now go into detail about various aspects of the resorts. Remember, you are going to a foreign country where everything is different and you really need to keep an open mind about everything. As we like travelling to new places each time we go on holiday, we are not sure we would come back here. However, we would totally recommend St. James to anyone else looking for a super vacation. Furthermore, we would most definitely go to other Secrets Resorts. We normally look forward to going home towards the end of our vacation though were actually quite sad to leave as we had such a lovely time. We would say this place beats Sandals (Varadero, Cuba as a comparison).

Weather:

Alas, we discovered from the locals that May and June are the rainy months. We had some days that were cloudy/sunny, but most days overcast with some heavy rain. It did not spoil our vacation one bit though. We even tanned when it was cloudy!

AIRPORT:

We flew from Vancouver, BC to Montego Bay. We had to stop over in Toronto. Just the flying time was about 9 hours in total. There is no direct flight for this route. Arriving at Montego Bay airport seemed a little chaotic. When we got to the immigration check in place there was a huge line to get through. I thought this was going to take hours to pass by. However, it seemed pretty organised and because several Jamaican staff were there attending to people the line went pretty quick. Some people have reported this takes ages, though to us (my wife and I) it only took about 30 minutes.

Bags arrived very quickly though were all taken off the conveyor belt when we arrived. It made looking for luggage a little bit more difficult though there was no problem acquiring it. Lots of people bombard you with things when you leave the main section of the airport and come out into the open. As we booked through Expedia we did not get transfers included so we had to get a cab. They showed us on this form that the flat rate to Secrets is $30 which is not bad. The cab ride lasted about 20 minutes. (Cab cost $40 to get back to the airport from Secrets).

At the hotel you could hear the odd plane take off every few hours but it only lasted for a few seconds and that was it. We did not hear any plane noise at night.

ARRIVAL AT THE HOTEL:

As soon as we arrived we had our bags taken by the concierge people. We stepped into the reception area we found it odd that you had to go through these sliding doors to actually get in here. Most hotels have an open lobby though both St. James and Wild Orchid close themselves in I guess to keep the area air conditioned.

There are six desks in the lobby area. One is for tours so the other five remain for you to be checked in. It was very personal which we liked. We were offered a drink whilst we waited which was nice after travelling about 14 hours door to door. We asked for a room on the fifth floor though we could not get one as it was all full. They offered us the third floor which we took. We had a few things to sign and they handed us coupons to use for the spa. We were asked if we wanted to know more about the Preferred Section though we gave a polite no thank you and that was it; nothing was pushed and we appreciated that. No silly wrist bands needed here like other all inclusives have!

ROOMS:

We tipped the porter who brought up our bags and took in the aspects of the room. The room was nice and clean and well planned out. As has been commented in other reviews of this place there is a simple see through curtain that separates the bedroom from and the bathroom. The shower is however sectioned off in frosted glass as is the toilet right next to it. Please view my pictures to see this.

The room had ample storage space for your clothes and other items. There also was an electronic safe in where you could place and lock your valuables. At no time during our stay was this tampered with. What was most confusing at first was the alarm clock. I would set the current time and a few hours later it was lagging. I got a replacement and it did the same thing. I eventually got a fourth replacement and whilst we were in the room the power went out for a few seconds. The alarm clock went back in time once again though this time I just reset the time. I figure they have power outages for a few seconds every day or so. Nothing major though.

All rooms had views of the sea. Some like ours had views of the sea and the pool. There are rooms with view of sea only and the garden. Each day we would get a very informative newsletter slide under our door or put on our bed if we had turn down service.

One thing that annoyed us a little bit was the many mosquitos that were in the room even with our main door kept closed most of the time and balcony one. We would have to kill about 10 mosquitos a day with the floor towel from the bathroom. Even before we came to our room we could see one or two dead bugs on the walls. There were so many marks left on the walls and ceiling by the time we left from killing them. I called the front desk about this and they said they have no idea where the mosquitos are coming from. We had our room fumigated one evening. It stopped the bugs from coming back for a little while, though they were in full flight again soon after. We sprayed ourselves with anti-bug spray upon going to the restaurants every night and a little more before going to bed. My wife still managed to get bitten though.

POOLS:

Right after getting in to our room we unpacked and then headed straight for the pools. The St. James’s side had a swim up bar at the pool. Next door to this pool was the more quiet side as you could not access the swim up bar unless getting out the pool. This was the same with Wild Orchid. The water was warm and very clean. The bar staff were excellent there especially Jahmar who I became good friends with over the trip. There was also staff walking around the pool areas taking your drink orders which was nice. The swim up bar was mostly packed with big drinkers and some of them got a bit rowdy at times. Some people brought their cigarettes to the swim bar too which we did not really like.

BEACH:

My wife and I love the beach and this is where we spent most of our time. Going from the pool area to the beach you had to climb this little wall which I believe was there to stop more water going to the beach area. The beach sand was beige and soft. The distance from the wall to the sea was pretty narrow though despite this the beach housed many sun loungers and there was always room. The water was always calm and you relax nicely here listening to the soft sound of the surf. No cards were required for you to take beach towels. You could also have as many as you wanted.

Here is one suggestion I have for the resorts. The beach deck chairs, which were made from wicker basket material, did not come with padding or cushions. Even with a towel draped over the lounger it was pretty uncomfortable. However, it did not deter us from getting our golden tans! The sea was clear turquoise in areas and soft sand to walk on. Based on other reviews I thought I would need to wear those rubber swimming shoes. I bought a pair with me though did not need it. Some areas of the sea had small weeds growing but you could easily step over them. Odd as the loungers in the swimming pool area had padding. You are not allowed to take the padding from swimming area to the beach either.

There were a few man-made structures separating the beaches of St. James and Wild Orchid. They actually looked quite fine and you could walk out on them and get a good view of the hotel. There were also same structures between Wild Orchid regular section and the preferred one. Staff even came on the beach to take your drink orders which was neat. What is also good is the ‘WATA’ you can get scattered around the hotel beach/pool area. They keep bottled water on ice and you can freely drink them.

RESTAURANTS:

At breakfast and lunch time the World Café became the buffet. In the evening this area became split into 2 a la cartes, El Patio (the Mexican restaurant) and Blue Mountain (the Jamaican one). Breakfast buffet was very nice with fresh food being served every days and lots of selection. The same applied to lunch.

At breakfast time you could be lucky to be entertained by either Oscar or Oneil. They are the guys that make special coffees for you, even with alcohol first thing in the morning! They were fabulous and sang funny songs whilst they prepared your coffee. I have taken pictures of them; please have a look! I have never been served coffee like this before and was fantastic!

In total there are 8 a la carte restaurants. The first one we tried was Bordeaux, the French restaurant. I got myself ready in a pair of shorts and t-shirt though was turned away when we came to book a table of 2 for inside the restaurant. We could have sat outside though I changed into capris which was acceptable and a nice shirt. The food was not bad at all especially the surf and turf which was a tenderloin accompanied by a couple of prawns. Cooked very well for my taste too! Service was excellent too.

The Jamaican restaurant, Blue Mountain was one of our least favourites. We really did not know anything about Jamaican cuisine though, but having said that the food was not great here. Guys also needed long pants to get in here (as with Bordeaux). These 2 restaurants are classified as ‘Casual Elegance’ which means: dress shirts with sleeves, casual long pants for dinner. Swim suits, t-shirts, flip flops or open toed sandals are not permitted. Outside seating is available with dress shorts. All the other restaurants were ‘Casual’ meaning: dress shirts with sleeves, dress shorts. Swim suits, t-shirts, flip flops are not permitted.

The Italian restaurant, Portofino, was OK for appetizers, however, the main courses were mostly pastas which were overcooked and simply did not taste right. Service was very good though.

El Patio, the Mexican restaurant has a really nice menu and we thought the food there was pretty good as with service. We went to Oceana once, which is the pool side restaurant in Wild Orchid. They serve very nice wraps for lunch. They also do breakfast here and dinner though we did not try those.

Himitsu is the Japanese restaurant. They have 2 elements to this fine restaurant. Once side is teppanyaki (where you sit with several other people whilst the chef cooks in front of you) and the a la carte section. The teppanyaki section was the only place we had to book in advance, whilst all the other a la cartes were walk in. My wife and I were simply not prepared for the exhilarating teppanyaki dining evening. The chef was soooo hilarious making everyone in the restaurant laugh like no tomorrow. We have never had such an entertaining dinner experience in our lives. This was by far the most pleasant of all restaurants. I have taken pictures of the evening; please check them out. Marlin was our chef who was by far the most funny of all 3 chefs there. Jamie the server was amazing too; always making sure my drink was full without asking and other things. They both got a good tip from us. The a la carte side you needed no reservation for and we found the food very good here too.

Sea side grill is the only restaurant on the St. James side. They serve really nice a la carte lunches and just as good dinners. This was our second favourite out of all the restaurants.
Barefoot Grill was neat being right near the beach. You could come up to this self-serve place and get hot dogs, Jamaican patties and deep fried chicken rolls all in your wet swim gear. If you did not want to make the effort of dressing up to go to one of the lunch restaurants, this saved you the bother. The Jamaican patties were really nice, made a nice snack and were a touch on the good spicy side.

TIPPING: My wife and I are both from Europe though have resided in Vancouver for about 14 years now. Back in Europe tipping was not a big thing, though is conversely the truth in North America. No one at St. James or Wild Orchid actually hinted on asking you for tips. We felt pretty good giving tips out to those that made a special effort for us. You have to remember, the lowest weekly wage here is a mere $50, so when you give them a few bucks it really matters to them. I gave my buddy Jahmar in the swim up bar a tip on most days. I would have his utmost attention after that! We also left the maid $5 every few days and our room was always spotless. The staff really did not look at how much you gave them, but accepted it gratefully and then put the money straight in the pockets.

ENTERTAINMENT:

The 2 hotels were more than equipped with day time activities from 8.30am – 5pm. They ranged from yoga, bike tour (90 minutes around Montego Bay), volleyball, aqua ball challenge, etc, etc. Your daily newsletter would show you this all. In the evening entertainment would start up again around 8pm with singers on the outside theatre. 9.30pm was called ‘Showtime’ and the big event of the evening. By far the best performance was the steel band and dancers called Silver Birds, all the way from Kingston. I hope you will be lucky to see them on your trip. Thursday nights were ‘Beach Party.’ This was neat as people could dance on the sand in front of a live band and then DJ music. There were drinks being served and light snacks. There were also couple contests which got a bit raunchy.

Showtime lasted about an hour and then people could go to the nightclub ‘Desires’ or the piano bar. The piano bar was supposed to start at 10.30pm every evening, though was always late getting started. Many people congregated for the 9.30pm show time event and there simply were not enough chairs for people to sit on. Get there earlier to secure your seats! Overall we thought the entertainment was pretty good. Bon Jovi and Kemeisha were excellent at organizing the daily entertainment.

WATERSPORTS:

There were a few non-paying water sports to do like the guided snorkel trips at 9am, 10am and 2pm. Were we told to do the early ones when the sea is the most calm. We did this at 10am though found the paid snorkel trip ($35 per person) was much better. They take you out on a boat to a nice reef section where you could feed the fish. So many of them came right to your face! Jason was the go to guy here; always helpful and pleasant. We became good friends by the end of our trip and were sad to leave him as with other staff. You could also take a catamaran out on your own which was free too.

There were many paid watersports like scuba diving, tubing, guided catamaran tour for $20, etc, etc.

TOURS:

We did the Martha Brae tour where a local guy takes you down on this river on a bamboo made boat. It is so peaceful but pricy at $141 a couple. We decided to go on our private tour to Ocho Rios to see the Green Grotto caves and the famous Dunns River Waterfall. We hired a guy called Raymore, a VIP chauffer. We paid a flat fee of $200 for the whole day and he took us all over the place to areas of interest. He was very knowledgeable too being pleasant and professional throughout our tour. His number is 866-9965 or 287-7956. We gave him a really good tip at the end of the day and I would recommend him to anyone wanting to go on a very special tour. He can drive you to any part of Jamaica for the day.

There are also many other tours available. We chose only a few as my wife is pregnant.

SPA:

The spa was beautiful but pricy. Just a regular 50 minutes massage will run you $129. This was also one of the ‘cheaper’ treatments in the spa!

Wild Orchid vs St. James:

Wild Orchid was certainly the noisier of the 2 hotels with the piano bar here playing from 10.30pm onwards. Also the Showtime was outside playing from 9.30pm – 10.30pm. Then there is the disco, Desires, playing from 10.30am – 2am. Don’t forget all the restaurants on the Wild Orchid side. The preferred section of Wild Orchid is right next to all this noise!! On top of that the St. James preferred section is at the very end of the whole strip of the 2 hotels. You will have to walk the furthest from St. James preferred section to the restaurants. We only had to walk about 3-4 minutes to get to all the restaurants, not a big deal really. St. James preferred guest area was isolated from everything too. I met several people every day who came up to the swim up bar section as their pool did not have a bar. Preferred section in St. James was really quite dead. All you get for more bucks a day is more alcohol in your room, a bigger suite-like room, private snack section & free Wi-Fi. Not really worth the extra cash!

I would say this place is mostly for couples though there were several weddings going on here which brought a lot of single people.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of beach. Preferred section is not really worth it.
18 Thank GoWithoutBorders
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Sure, I could find little things to gripe about, but why bother? Our vacation was perfect!

Beach: Beautiful. Plenty of chairs, beach wasn't "rocky" like some people are saying. Looked and felt like sand to me!

Rooms: Gorgeous, relaxing, comfy beds. Had trouble with our A/C but we were generally so tired by the end of the day to really notice. No, the bathroom doesn't have a door, just a curtain, but the toilet and shower do have doors (that confused me when I read other reviews, just wanted to clarify).

Food: Not a single complaint here either. I don't know what people are looking for that they couldn't find here. We ate at the Portofino Italian restaurant multiple times - so good! We also really liked the hibachi and the menu items at Himitsu. Definitely make a reservation for hibachi! The World Cafe always had something good as well and you can create your own wraps at Oceana for lunch (or try the burgers, they're excellent). The jerk chicken is, of course, delicious as well.

Entertainment: Wasn't spectacular at night, sometimes great, sometimes just your typical singer doing typical wedding music. The beach party was kind of neat with a place to make smores, and the steel drums were amazing. But the Piano bar is a great place to hang out at night.

Staff: Their best staff is everything you could have hoped for, and definitely exceeded my expectations. Their worst staff is still better than the majority of other resorts' employees, so not really an issue. So many people made us feel welcome and relaxed - no problem, ya mon!

I don't think the Preferred Club is really a necessary upgrade because we didn't do it, and our room was beautiful plus we had an amazing view. If you're too lazy to walk a few minutes over to eat breakfast, then maybe it's worth it.

I would highly suggest the glass bottom boat ride for $20/person. We weren't sure about it, but were so glad we went, you can see so much! The reefs are beautiful.

Also, if you're a stickler for a clean resort like I am, this place is perfect for you. Always someone cleaning - immaculate.

See you again soon, Secrets!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3521 and it had an awesome view of both the pools and the ocean. The upper floors...
8 Thank Tiffany C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed at Secret from May3-10 for my wedding. I had 13 people stay at resort with me and we loved it...I stayed in the preferred side with the most wonderful staff the ladies all there were great ...Deidre, Taneisha, Rochelle,Nadia, Nordia and all who I didnt mention I love you guys thank you so much for everything you ladies did all in your power to make sure my wedding was a sucess...The wedding cordinators did a fantastic job on my wedding. The spa was wonderful Camille did a fantastic job on my hair and make up. The photographer toni took some great pictures..

Thank you everyone I will be back in 2013 for my first anniversary...
Thank you to all at secrets st james preferred section you made my trip...See you soon...

Room Tip: Go with the preferred costs a little more but its worth it
2 Thank Martha W
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Just got back from a 7 nights vacation at Secrets St James. Beautiful weather, very hot and cloudy in the afternoons due to the rain season, but very beautiful and sunny in the AM. The beaches are small but there are 3 or 4 of them (like little bays) and the water is so clear beautiful and calm - feels like a lake! We really enjoyed swimming at the beach. The sand is very soft and the scenery is beautiful.

Grounds are gorgeous, very well maintained and there are beautiful flowers everywhere.

Staff is almost always very nice, a bit slow but it's jamaican time. Most of them seem very happy to be there. You should expect to tip though, a few american dollars at restaurants, and every now and then on the beach when you order drinks.

Overall, food was pretty good at night: the best one is definitely Bordeaux. Buffet (breakfast and lunch) is fair, everything is good and fresh but sometimes plates are empty and not refilled. the two pool restaurants have decent food also for lunch. Nothing is truly extraordinary but it's very decent and always very fresh.

One thing that was particularly enjoyable is the outside seating of the restaurants at night. It is spectacular to eat under the stars, listening to reggae music...

Rooms are pretty, spacious and well maintained. We were in building 3 on the third floor facing the ocean- i think it's the greatest ocean view you can get!

Entertainment wasn't so great....but we didn't mind. One night there was a reggae singer and everybody danced under the stars: that was fun. But overall, it's quite quiet and it's definitely not a party scene.

Drinks are very good, especially at the Piano Bar at night, and there is great service at the beach.

Only negative comment: I do not understand that a 5* luxury all inclusive does not come with free WIFI. It is only included if you are a Preferred Guest, which we weren't. This, in my opinion, is quite scandalous. If you want internet, you either have to pay 15$/day for a WIFI connection, or go to an internet cafe where they charge you 0,50$/min. It's 2012 and you paid a great deal of money for your vacation, you expect to have free WIFI.

Overall, our week at Secrets St James was really great, and if we ever go back to Montego Bay, we would probably go back. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: bulding 3 ( higher floor, room in the 40's) : best view
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!