Overall we had a very nice time, but based on the other reviews I had read I was expecting more. It was enjoyable, but the various service problems were disappointing and frustrating.
1. Jerk Chicken & Coconut water cart – chicken was delicious, we got without sauce because it was spicy even without the sauce.
2. Pools & Beaches - beautiful view (albeit the beaches are fairly narrow). We didn’t have a problem getting chairs at the pool or beach, but there definitely were more available in the preferred areas. I also liked the preferred pool better because it was quiet and relaxing. However, the wait staff at the main pool was much more attentive than the preferred pool. It was always faster to go to the bar yourself at the preferred pool.
3. NYE extras – the entertainment, desert tables and extra bars set up were all great. The fireworks set off on the property were incredibly beautiful reflecting off the water.
4. Food - Most of the food was fairly good. As one other reviewer noted, I did get the impression that the meals were prepared ahead of time and simply brought out. The Italian wasn’t very good in my opinion, but the others were fine.
5. Staff is very friendly and polite – even though there were several service issues, I got the impression that they were all a result of poor management rather than the individual’s failing.
6. Room – the shower had an option of a regular or rain shower. The bed was comfortable, room was clean and fairly large with a beautiful balcony view.
7. Very close to airport
1. Check-In - We were served a drink and chilled towel upon arriving. We decided to upgrade our room after the sales pitch. Our room wasn't ready. So, we came back at the time we were told. Unfortunately when we arrived at the room, housekeeping had just arrived. So, we traipsed back to the front desk. No one seemed to know what the problem was or what to do with us. They offered to put us in an interim room until our room was cleaned. We said that we would keep our keys and asked that our bags be delivered to the room whenever housekeeping was completed. When we arrived in our room, we still needed to call for our bags. It was frustrating to have to waste time trying to figure out where they were going to put us. We easily spent an hour and a half trying to get checked in.
2. No towels – Replacing of the towels was a bit spotty. One day we didn’t have a bath mat, which we dealt with. The next we didn’t have any fresh towels and the used ones were gone. We called the front desk and it was over an hour and still no towels, called again and 30 minutes after call #2 they came.
3. NYE Dinner – Service was SO slow. It took over 2 hours. It took over an hour after we sat down for anything besides water to arrive, which was consistent with everyone around us. Management eventually came over to one of the neighboring tables and they complained of the wait, but the management response was inadequate. For example, another table said that they were currently waiting for bread. Rather than the manager go get the bread, he went to the waiter who was assisting another table and told him “they need some bread”. Also, the kitchen did not seem to have enough food available, which is a little crazy considering it was a prix fixe menu, reservations required and even the wine was pre-ordered.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, TravelUp, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Secrets St. James Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets St James Hotel Montego Bay