“WE HOPE TO MAKE IT DE JA VUE SHORTLY”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“WE HOPE TO MAKE IT DE JA VUE SHORTLY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I would rate this all inclusive hotel platinum. We couldn't eat in all the restaurants or partake all the amenities offered since there were so many. Its long white sandy beach, a main street that wanders through the property with restaurants and several low rise guest buildings make it a pleasant stroll any time of day or night. Add to this peacocks and parrots wandering around the grounds and several pools and food stations and you don't have to go anywhere. However we had itchy feet and hired a driver guide and visited the vegetable and fish markets, Richmond Hill overlooking Montego Bay, a Jewish cemetery, where the rich people live and a stop in Margarita Ville and we were satisfied. Monego Bay gets it name from a corruption of the Spanish word for lard. In the past the hills around the bay were inhabited by wild pigs. The Spanish hunted these pigs and sold the lard made from them to passing ships. The corruption of the Spanish word for lard is manteca which ended up as Montego. Careful or you may bring back some lard from overeating. You can find a video on our trip on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5PZm36haSc

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
  • Czech first
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

First off... St James and Wild Orchid are essentially the same thing (they are literally right next to each other with nothing separating the two)
Everyone at Secrets is very friendly, the staff is SUPER accommodating, and they have something for everyone to enjoy (Bars, Different Style Restaurants, Ping Pong, Old Slots, Beach Volleyball, awesome pools with swim up bars). We have been here twice now on our company trip, and I really hope we go again. One guy who made the trip ESPECIALLY memorable was Dane (aka DANGER) at Desires Nightclub. That dude was polite, provided AWESOME service to us, was an awesome bartender (made all different kinds of drinks and CRAZY shooters) and had the energy level of a crazy man! He seriously took our time to the next level, and literally made our night every night we were there. I hope he sees this, because he definitely deserves the praise. He would remember me by the nickname he gave me as "The CrazyMon". But overall both Secrets resorts are amazing, and I would 1000% recommend it to anyone who enjoys sunshine, warm weather, blue water and amazing times!

Thanks Dane and the Secrets Staff!!

Justin

Room Tip: Every Room Is Ocean Front
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Justin K
Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We took a 4 day trip to get away from the snow, and could not have been more happy with our choice of Secrets St. James. We will definitely be going back to visit. The staff is fantastic, the food options are perfect, and the overall vibe of the resort is so relaxing. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel at "home". If you need a ride to the resort, use Tours by Cordel - aka Jenko!

5 Thank ReefFeet
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We wanted an all inclusive place to rest and recharge and we found it! We stayed in the Preferred Club at St. James and could not have asked for anything more. The staff is friendly and want to make your stay as nice as possible. You get nice clean fluffy towels each day to take to the beach. The grounds are manicured to perfection and the abundance of flowers was so nice in Feb. for Hoosiers who left snow to enjoy:) The preferred club has a full supply of alcohol available in the lobby as well as a light breakfast and never ending snacks and sweets. You can go anytime at all and find wine or make a mixed drink and have sushi or pasta salad or any number of other things to eat. We enjoyed the snacks and jerk chicken cart daily and usually skipped an official lunch. The breakfast bar is too much and includes made to order omelettes and eggs of any style, dinner is multiple courses so you don't need a full lunch also. That being said, we ate at one of the poolside restaurants one day and it had a great salad bar and a nice selection of items to choose from. The staff will serve you drinks at poolside or ocean side all day long and the coolers of iced bottled water are everywhere. We took out a kayak and looked at the coral reef as we aren't snorkelers. Many people did the snorkeling trips and even brought their own gear. The Hoby Cats are also free to use. We took a guided bike ride that was "interesting" as it takes you outside the gates and the adjoining neighborhood is not clean and the cruise port is very old and not much of a destination. It was nice to get exercise, but I would not go out the gate on my own due to safety concerns. The movies nightly are outside and nice and I loved that the Coffee bar is right next to this area so I had a Baileys and coffee with my popcorn. The beds were comfortable and we had a great ocean view. We had room service twice and it was also very nice. In the Preferred Club they keep your mini-fridge stocked with beer and water and soda.
We did the VIP club that they offered for the airport on the return trip (like 39.00 extra) and we were very glad we did. They got us thru security very very quickly and we sat in a nice quiet area that had free food and drinks of all kinds and watched TV. They also had a free international phone so I could call home and let them know we were leaving on time.
We had heard that airplane noise was a problem at this resort but I disagree. We occasionally heard a plane taking off, but in 5 min. it was gone and it was always daytime, never at night. The landing planes you don't hear at all. The fact that this is 15 min drive vs. 1-3 hours across the island to some other resorts is the only option for me as a curvy road and the cars being on the left side and no guard rails will ruin my vacation before it starts.

Room Tip: Go Preferred Club if you can.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cearn
Fairfax Station, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was our fourth visit to the Secrets St. James Preferred Club and we fear our favorite vacation destination is slipping into mediocrity.

When we first chose Secrets we were drawn to Secrets promise of offering their guests an upscale experience over your competitors. This time, there wasn't much difference between Secrets and Sandals or Palace Concierge.

- In the past, we were greeted with a nice welcome basket in the room with some fruit and a nice bottle of wine. Nothing this time, not even a note of welcome.
- In the past, top-shelf alcohol was offered at the bars and supplied in the room. This year, only the little Club bar had top-shelf liquor, all the other were cheap, rail brands. When premium drinks were ordered, the bars were always out.

The first two days were distracting due to a large and unruly group parked by the Preferred Club pool.. They were loud, practically took over the pool, and nothing was done to calm them down. They did things like chasing the peacocks and throwing footballs from the third floor balcony into the pool. We go to Secrets for peace and quiet. If I wanted a spring break experience I would have gone to Daytona Beach Florida. After the group left, there was a sigh of relief from all the remaining guests and Secrets staff.

Our room had a musty or mildew smell unlike previous years. We could not enter the Theater or Desires because of the strong mildew smell.

As usual, the Secrets staff were all attentive, super friendly, and professional.

Our dining experiences were mixed. A summary of experiences with the dining venues:

World Market. Great breakfast and lunch buffets. Super staff and hardly no waiting. Cook staff obviously worked hard on staying up with the buffet and were very conscientious of sanitation.

El Patio. Disappointing. Staff was inattentive and seemed really unhappy. Service was slow and when the food came it was overcooked and had obviously spend a long time under a heat lamp.

Blue Mountain. Used to be our favorite restaurant. Not now, it has really gone downhill. Service was slow and the food came overcooked and tired off the heat lamp. The meat was shoe leather and almost uneatable. Somebody messed with the recipes and didn't do a very good job -- this year's pumpkin soup was particularly disappointing.

Himitusu. Consistent. Service was very good and definitely entertaining.

Bordeaux. Consistent. Service was very good, food came well prepared and relatively quickly. Meet was a little tough but overall, the experience was better than last year.

Portofino. Undoubtable the best. Last year we rated it dead last, this year it was #1. What and amazing turn around! Service was superb, food was exceptional, and meat tender. Overall great. We had the pleasure of talking to the manager about this marvelous turn around. She deserves considerable praise and has our congratulations for a job well done turning Portifino around. Need to clones her for the El Patio and Blue Mountain.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor. The Peacocks like to hang out on the first floor patios.
6 Thank grogers913
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I'd like to start by saying that while you may read many reviews on TripAdvisor, you have to weigh all of them with the understanding that everyone has their own lists of preferences and expectations.....

At the top of my list was relaxation...My daughter and I returned today from having spent a week at Secrets St. James/Wild Orchid. This is the fifth time for us to go away together and it's a great time to reconnect .....All 5 times we have gone to all-inclusives, but we chose to return to Secrets St. James for a second time.

The resort is pristine. From arrival to departure, the staff make sure that all areas are thoroughly maintained. The check-in process was easy and the attendants were charming and friendly. (Although the burning incense was over-powering most days)

The preferred status, as other travellers have indicated is excellent. Dalton and Ref, the personal butlers took care of us all week; insuring that any request was immediately addressed and that all expectations were exceeded.

The restaurants were good; especially considering that they cater to so many. The choices are great; our absolute favorite was the Lobster night which occurred on Saturday night; our last night there. We also loved El Patio, the Mexican restaurant and Bordeau, the French restaurant. The first evening there, the staff was setting up screens, large "Oscar" statues and chairs on the beach to watch the Oscars!!

The room was comfortable but with only a curtain separating the bathroom from the bedroom; obviously geared toward couples. We had a room on the 5th floor and had a beautiful view of the pool and ocean.

They also had a wide variety of evening entertainment. There really was something for everyone.

I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone wanting to get away and just relax. It's minutes from the airport; it's absolutely beautiful; the staff is friendly and accomodating; the food is good........

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank cmk1014
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My name Renee Walker I visit SOSJ 7/31-8/11/2013 & loved it. The following staff went above & beyond for me while I was there: Marlene, Dexter, Allundo and Dermon and more. Marlene helped me in a very serious situation,my bank in Texas put a freeze on my acct because they thought fraudulent was being drawn on my acct because withdrawals was coming from Jamaica. My bank would not release my funds unless they had proof of id and proof showing I was in Jamaica. Marlene and her staff assisted several times in getting all necessary documents to my bank in Texas which allowed me to continue having a great time at Secrets. Without her and her staff diligently and adamantly getting info to my bank I would have been broke (but still happy). Dexter is the man when it comes to accommodating and making you feel welcome. Dermon/Allundo are the greatest bartenders ever...especially on those Bob Marley drink. All of the staff was excellent. I booked my 2014 trip immediately after I returned home to Texas (8/2013). I will be back 7/31/2014 and I hope and pray that my same GREAT people be there to serve me again.......

Room Tip: The room with the swim up pool is my room for 2014 but the master suite is awesome, I had that room...
Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!