“10 days of spectacular sun, pool, drinks, food, wedding.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“10 days of spectacular sun, pool, drinks, food, wedding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I were married at Secrets St. James, Montego Bay last week and the wedding was excellent. This was our first stay at a secrets resort and the positive reviews this resort received were accurate. We stayed in preferred club because it came with a free wedding.

The resort is a quick transfer from the airport but, we did stay a bit waiting for the bus to fill up. After a day of travelling, this can eat at your nerves. The lineup to clear customs in Jamaica is rediculous. A service called Club Mobay allows you to cut the line, its exact cost is not known to me but, I was told it is less than $200. Paying what you do for a vacation in paradise, this can buy you additional hours.

Check in at the hotel was excellent, preferred club allows for a speedy check in. Our concerierge was efficient and knew we wanted our room quickly. Carl was our porter and he was entertaining and helped us out with a drink upon our arrival. Christopher Brown assisted us at checkout and was an equal help.

We booked couples massage after a long day of flight and it was an excellent experience. However, the therapists keep the room cool and the massage oil was at room temperature. Adjusting things to be a bit warmer would bring this to an exceptional level.

All of the food was excellent. Every restaurant, breakfast buffet, room service. All very good and without doubt, the best food service at any all inclusive I've been to.

All of the preferred club food attendants were professional. Invisible when you needed them to be and right there when you needed something. Darquis, Michael in the evenings were superb as were the ladies in the day shift. One girl who's name I forget was exceptional ith a lime and honey elixer that cured my wife's cough. She wore a brace on her left hand, please recognize her efforts along with the other ladies on the day shift. If management could get the room service menu expanded, that would be a help. The nachos and queso were a favourite and so was the chicken sandwich. A few more options would be nice. Jerk chicken wings perhaps?

We booked two excursions. One with Air Canada vacations and one with the Amstar desk. The representatives for each company were awesome and entertaining. Only issue is that Air Canada's catermaran tour operates out of another resort whereas Amstar's picks up on the property. We would have preferred to spend less time on a bus crossing town.

On resort activity consisted mostly of sitting in the infinity pool drinking. Rolando in the pool service was a frequent face who made the place feel like home. He always made sure we were well equipped and even covered our seats up when it rained during lunch one day. Excellent job!

Rayvon (I hope that's the right spelling, always called him Ray) with the ground crew introduced himself early in the week and always went out of his way to greet us and ensure our comfort.

The photographers were excellent and took several great pics of us which we purchased at the photo shop. Lando made a point to capture moments for us and reminded us not to pass them by. This is good because otherwise, we would not have any pictures of both of us.

We attended Xavian Roach's Jamican cooking class. This was fun and entertaining. We learned the recipie for Jerk chicken and got to taste the national dish of Jamaica. It also had a patios lesson with Blue. We learned some slang and how to cook. I recommend this class to anyone, it's at 11:30 and provides a snack during the first wave of bar service. Roach has a goal of a class of 100, I hope he meets that goal.

On to the main event. We were we onsite at Secrets. We had a sunset service in gazeebo 2, with music by the mento band and a romantic candle lit dinner in the same gazeebo. We traveled alone but, shared the moment with the staff and some other guests.

Roccio and Lisa Marie in the wedding group were spectacular with communication before the event and greeted us upon check in. They had our clothing steamed and delivered to our room so we did not have to worry about a thing in terms of clothing. We came to the resort with high expectations of our wedding planners and we were not disspaointed. Roccio in particular was very attentive to my wife's requests. The day would not have went as well as it did without her. From checking into the salon, assisting us with the golf cart, even down to warning us not to drink too much on the big day, she was a saint. So much, that she signed the marriage license as the maid of honour. Thanks!

Likewise, thanks again to Xavian Roach. He was my best man, patios teacher, chauffer, and a friendly face every day at breakfast. He left no stone unturned to ensure we had a great trip, and more importantly, a flawless wedding day. He even come to wish us off at the end of our trip with some wedding cake.

Checkout was a breeze once the bill was paid. It was a bit confusing because of currency reporting in J$ but on day of checkout you can get a report in USD. Karnelia Roach was our conceirge on checkout and she was smooth and cool.

These are the people who stood out and who we got to know. We never used the main pools as they were a bit busy. The St. J preferred pool was where we spent most daylight. The sea side grill was our favourite restaurant, second only to the Himitsu session with Rooster and Knashville. A well coreographed dining experience, book this on checkin.

To all the staff at Secrets St. James: RESPECT, thank you.

Room Tip: rooms that begin with 44xx will have an ocean, pool and sunset view
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank WagwanBredren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Czech first
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My mom and I had a spectacular time at Secrets St. James in Montego Bay last week! My husband and I had gone there 2 years ago for our honeymoon, so I had fond memories of this breathtaking resort and was very excited to get to share such a beautiful place with my amazing mom. We arrived on Saturday after taking advantage of Club MoBay (highly recommend it!!), and my mom surprised me by upgrading us to the Preferred Lounge. We were greeted by Sherone and Carissa -- they were so friendly and helpful, I thought my mom was going to adopt them on the spot! After being taken to our spacious and luxurious room overlooking both the pool and the ocean, gregarious Garfield brought us our luggage and chatted with us for a while. As soon as we could we got into the pool. There were two sides to this pool -- a warm pool and a cool pool. Joy came around often with beverages and was always wearing a smile. We loved all of the dining at Secrets! Our first night was a lobster buffet that was terrific! We enjoyed all of the different restaurants, but our absolute favorite restaurant was Bordeaux. This was the French restaurant, and the food was exquisite! But even better than the food was the incredible service by Orville!! He is the friendliest fellow with an incredible personality -- we truly felt wined and dined by Orville. If I am lucky enough to go back, I will go right to Bordeaux and request Orville! Also, while you wait for your table to be ready there is always live entertainment by the piano bar. We really loved all of the different food options in the World Cafe Buffet for breakfast and lunch. We were always pleased with the service we received there from Xavian (Roach), Lorenzo, Chevelle, Stacy Ann on omelettes, Clive, and Orlando -- I'm for real! If we didn't want to walk over there we could just eat right in the Preferred Lounge. That was always stocked with delicious food and beverages, and Duawn was always friendly! Marvin and Garfield did a great job making iced coffees for us each morning at the Coco Cafe. One morning I took advantage of free tennis lessons from Cliff, that was so fun and educational! When I wasn't lounging by the pool or eating, I was usually playing beach volleyball with Bruce, Cassie, Mello, and Vanessa. They made it so fun! That was also where I met a lot of great new friends! Unfortunately my mom fell on our sixth day there and really hurt her knee, but everyone was so concerned and helpful. Despite this setback, we had a truly amazing time -- the resort was spotless, the food was delicious, and the people were friendly!!

Room Tip: The Preferred St. James pool is quieter and the rooms overlook this pool and the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank SarahZ916
Collinsville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just returned from our second stay at Secrets St. James in Montego Bay Jamaica. This vacation was one of our best. The resort was beautiful and the staff was amazing! They made the vacation very special for us. Simone Brown was our server for the week (and for our previous stay as well!). She made sure we had everything we needed or wanted ( we were a group of 10). She planned a special day to celebrate one of our birthdays at the beach and even arranged for the talented Oraldo Mullings to sing for the birthday girl. Oraldo and Kerry-Ann Mullings also sang for us at our breakfast buffet! They had amazing vocals and harmony. Alister was our entertainer at the pool. He was quite a commedian and we loved his energy and creativity! We laughed continously at his antics! Blue was another entertainer who we enjoyed very much. The Japanese restaurant was wonderful. Our cook Lionel entertained us while he cooked our delicious meal. We also enjoyed the talented live band. It was a vacation we will never forget.

Room Tip: A front view of the ocean and pool is beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Pamela T
Cambria Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I recently did a quick get away from it all at Secrets St James in Montego Bay. This resort came highly recommended by Douglas Gordon, editor of Ocean Style Magazine (like them on fb!). This all inclusive, adult only resort exceeded our expectations. A very luxurious spacious room with and unforgettable view of the ocean and pool was just the beginning! The dining and food were amazing, you have a number of fantastic restaurants of your choice... I loved the lobster night!!! Premium spirits served at most bars... customer service/staff was impeccable! The day and nightly entertainment was incredible, my husband and I enjoyed ourselves completely. I will definitely be back to Secrets with my husband and also will be planning my "girls trip"... they have the best spa amenities!! Trust me when I tell you... this is the best kept secret around!

Room Tip: We had a second floor ocean/pool view room... we loved it! I really don't think they have a roo...
3 Thank toonyce7
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

From the moment we arrived with a welcoming drink after a long 10 hours flight from Manchester, UK, the staff were so attentive. The place was everything and more. We went on a all inclusive about 7 years ago and we were not happy with the canteen style buffet restaurant, so did quite a bit of research into this resort. We were very happy with the standard and service that we received in all 5 of the restaurants that we visited. The lunch time menu was also very good and the breakfast whilst a buffet, you were seated at a clean table and greeted by singing happy waiters. Had such a good time and will definitely be going back again, soon i hope.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank peteandsam20
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Secrets St James & Wild Orchard are amazing, amazing resorts. After researching all inclusive resorts for hours and hours, I am so glad I booked this. We definitely recommend visiting and look forward to returning ourselves. Although they are two "separate" hotels, it really all feels like one as the pools and pathways flow together seamlessly. Here's what I would have liked to know when choosing which to stay at...

- St James preferred: stay here if you like relaxation, no trouble getting a seat at the pool (has both a heated and regular pool and hottub), easy access to snacks and drinks throughout the day, closest to the gym, spa, tennis and basketball courts; furthest away from restaurants, piano bar and nighclub
- St James regular: stay here if you want more activities during the day- has a restaurant at the pool and a swim up bar
- Wild Orchard regular- very similar to St James regular, but had more action at the swim up bar (very entertaining bartenders)- Wild Orchard is closer to the restaurants and nightclub than the St James side (although it's all a very short and beautiful walk whereever you stay)
- Wild Orchard preferred- stay here for the swim up rooms, although the pool is very small, best sunset views, closest to the restaurants, piano bar and nightclub- the nightly performances are in this area too. Not sure how the sound carries, but could be loud late at night .

We stayed at St. James preferred and at first I was worried we were too far from the action...but in the end, that was what I loved the most. Our area was relaxing and peaceful, we always got a seat at the pool. And the action was just a few steps away.

Room Tip: First floor rooms run the risk of having the peacocks on your balcony...they're beautiful, but t...
3 Thank Lori S
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have stayed at 2 different Secrets resorts and both have completely matched my expectations of what a 5 Star resort should be like. Spacious rooms with amazing views. A wide selection of restaurants and bars serving excellent a la carte food and premium brand drinks to ensure you have plenty of choice. First class and friendly service. Secrets St James is a wonderful, relaxing and picturesque resort and you should definitely go.

Room Tip: The Italian restaurant isn't the best but all others are excellent.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul T
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for having selected our resort as your destination of choice. Excellent service is what we aim to provide and it is very pleasing to read that our facilities and amenities satisfied your expectations.

Your comment about our restaurant options, suite and our friendly service is much appreciated. It is our hope that you will visit us again to enjoy more of what we have to offer. Thanks for sharing your review.

Best Regards,
#15 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,837 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!