“AGAIN, AGAIN & AGAIN!!!”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

As you know this is my 3rd stay at Secrets St James and I now know this will forever be my home away from home!!!! In my many stays in Jamaica, I only wish I would have discovered Secrets on my first visit to this beautiful country..... I would allow my pictures to do some of the reviewing, but I have yet to figure out how to upload them to this site. This was my first time in my many visits that I decided to come in May and wasn't I in for a surprise. To my surprise it is mating season for the beautiful peacocks and I wish I could share my pics, maybe I'll figure it out later, but I was like a little kid in a candy store, if you've never seen a peacock feathers fully extended, you would be amazed, it was absolutely beautiful...... I like to go to the piano lounge during the afternoon, because it's quite and shaded and beautiful views from each opening, I can relax, mediate and take beautiful pictures, to my amazement I was hearing this sound and I ignored it the first couple of times and them I had to see what it was, well it was the peacock doing his call I guess, but he was standing in front of Bordeaux restaurant with all his feathers gloriously extended and the child in me revealed herself, I just think it's the photographer in me to capture beautiful things and he was beautiful to photograph, I have half a disk to prove it. The staff says he's there every morning just standing his ground, fabulous creature...so this became the focus of this trip outside of relaxing..... This time I didn't even leave the resort, once again every thing I needed or wanted was right there for Me, again the staff was Awesome, Shameika Dalley, (front desk) this young lady was exceptionally beautiful, her smile and bubbly personality was welcoming, she did everything possible to make sure I was taken care of, I usually request my same suite and they do everything possible to accommodate Me but this time it wasn't available, but somehow the suite directly next door was absolutely better, so my location and convenience didn't change, just my views and how wonderful were those views, I upgraded from a great view to a fantastical view!!!!! O'Neil and Hermon, My bellman (yes My Bellman, I felt like he belonged to Me) of course he remembered me from last year and who wouldn't be flattered by that, I tell them either I was the guest from hell or one of the best to visit and of course it's the latter. If you've never been to Jamaica then you will definitely want to venture out, but once you've seen a lot of the grand sites and just want to relax this is the resort to do it at..... Everything you need is right here!!!

The grounds are beautiful and they put pride into the grooming, the ocean views are to live for and I don't even like to swim in the ocean, but it's so inviting it makes me want to get in ( I do walk along the beach though) and the beautiful peacocks are just extra; can't remember if I mentioned the spa, but Kudos to the staff there; all of the restaurants are great Bordeaux, still my favorite (Judita and Wayne (waitress, whom I remembered from Last year and still wonderful & waiter) and Himitsu strong second (Marlon was my chef this time and he was great!! but all of the restaurants are above board, all the way across, service, staff and delicious food.

I will definitely return nit sure if it'll be for my birthday this year or not, maybe for the holidays, but next time I think I'll take my sons. The will love it, they haven't been since they were boys.

Thanks guys for Always making feel like I'm at home and loved... Awesome!!!!!!! Until next visit!!

******(Forgive any typos print is small and I'm too tired to proof read again... Read between the lines...☺️)

Room Tip: It depends on what you like, most rooms are partial/ ocean view.... Because I travel alone, I want g...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank SERITA B
Write a ReviewReviews (6,571)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

When I arrived for my 27th anniversary, I had booked a Oceanview Room. I checked in and when we got to our room we noticed there was no oceanview but a garden view so I went back to front desk and was informed no more oceanview rooms available until next day after 3pm. We had a tour booked for next morning that we had to cancel and rebook for another day because we had to check out of the old room and wait for room change. After that was straightened out then the next issue were those inscensts (the smell) was overwhelming. It was almost nauseating over the entire resort. There was also no place to watch sporting events I.e. Playoff games. We were told they had no sports bar. All in all, it was a good trip.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for
2  Thank LaShon R
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Congrats once again on your anniversary and thanks for having selected our resort for this special celebration. I am happy that you had an enjoyable stay overall and appreciate your comments very much.

It is indeed a regret that you had some issues with the room view and the incense. Despite having to cancel your tour, I am happy that you were accommodated with a room to your liking. Please note that your comment regarding a sports bar has not been overlooked. As the continuous developments continue, I do hope that you will consider our resort for future vacations where you will then be able to experience the differences that stem from such feedback as you have provided.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Everything about this resort was top notch, from the resort itself, to the food and especially the people. Kevin the front desk supervisor was exceptional, he helped out with anything we needed and was extremely friendly, he was really great with everything.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark E

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments about our resort. A top quality product is what we offer coupled with excellent service and is always appreciated by our team when guests highlight having this kind of service that is intended by us. Your special mention of Kevin is also greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back Home.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you want an adult excursion with maximum time and minimum travel from the ship, this is it. What a beautiful all-inclusive resort. We went for the day and it did not disappoint. The beach is clean and well kept and so are the grounds. I particularly was intrigued with the wildlife on site. The peacocks and parrots were so amazing and an added plus. This is an adult only getaway. The cruisers and day goers have the central part of the beach and owners and people who are staying on site have a different part of the beach. Secrets offers a Glass Bottom Boat tour that is included. Along with the Glass Bottom Boat is all non-motorized activities like kayaking, snorkeling and small sailboats for fun activities. They offer parasailing and jet skis at an added cost. The food was awesome. The World Cafe was really nice and lots of choices on the buffet. The staff was attentive and the bartenders can make you any drink you ask for. A really nice and safe day off the ship.

Room Tip: The cost of $110 per person is a little pricey but it is a very quiet resort and you can play hard o...
1  Thank mauibreeze9999
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Myself and my husband have just returned from two fabulous weeks at Secrets. We first stayed in October 2010 and loved it sooooo much we just had to return and we thought we knew what to expect but one again you have exceeded out expectations.

After a long flight our Thompson rep promptly greeted us at the airport and we were soon settled in our private transfer and on our way despite very heavy rain. Please note May is a Rainey month although we still had many sunny days.

The private transfer for just the two of us from the airport and back was a lovely touch.
When we arrived a bellboy helped us with luggage straight away.

We were greeted and checked in by the very professional Patricia at one of many front desks in main lobby of Secrets. Patricia is very friendly,informative and genuine. As I work in customer service back in the UK I do notice other peoples skills in this department because I judge them by how I would treat my guests and how I like to be treated.Once we were settled into our room Patricia then called to check on us which again was a lovely touch.

Our room....
......was a wonderful ocean view,very clean and spacious. We upgraded to preferred status so we could use the amenities but no preferred rooms were available at time of check in.
Cheryl our main maid was very pleasant with great attention to detail,room always cleaned to a very high standard, this made us feel very comfortable in our room at all times.

As repeat guests Patricia ensured we were rewarded for this with,a bottle of champers,two bottles of wine and two cheese platters in our first few days at the resort. The VIP Team also left us two bottles of Special Appleton Rum, and a lovely welcome note,very sweet!
In room refreshment stocked up daily with water,cranberry water,red stripe,sprite,coke,miller lite,tea,coffee,sugar etc.

The outstanding staff at secrets who made our stay even more special are:
Clive who works at the World Cafe, he has a great work ethic and is very attentive to the needs of the guests.
Orlando is very entertaining and keeps the energy up in the World Cafe.
Kadian works at World Cafe cafe is very attentive also.
Chantel who works front of house for the Blue Mountain and Bordeaux restaurants, very good at her job, very welcoming and pleasant and smiley.
Rayan-Gardener and maintenance person,very helpful and friendly.
Rox-ann a Masseur at the Spa gave me one of the best massages I have ever had (and I have had a few) she is really in tune with the human body,really skilled at what she does. I felt very relaxed for days after and slept like a baby that night. Book your massages with her if you want the best!
Patricia front desk.
Alex our Thompson rep was also really good at his job and very informative and helpful. Great guy!

Lots of restaurants to choose from all serving lovely food in stylish and romantic surroundings.
Lots of entertainment, something for everyone! Blue Mountain the best!
The grounds/gardens are all well taken care of always,it was always a pleasure while walking around the resort taking in the views.

New features since our last visit:
We loved the beautiful peacocks strolling around, the vendors serving coconut,jerk chicken,fruit dotted around the resort, this is a really nice improvement.
The management at Secrets have thought of everything to make your stay there as comfortable and as AMAZING as possible!!! Well done you guys!!

Overall our stay was FABULOUS!!!!!!! and everything we had hoped for and more, we will return ASAP!

Definitely a five star resort and all inclusive package deal with Thomson far more value for money compared to their rivals.
New Thomson 787 Dreamliner was the best!

Check out Dolphin Cove and the Catarmaran cruise up to Ricks cafe,both excursions offered by Thomson and we had sooooo much fun also good value for money.

Enough from me go see for yourselves people!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a lovely view from 5th floor room 3522 on the St James side. Sunset views to be had to the w...
6  Thank Michael Roxanne C
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Secrets St. James is the perfect place to stay. The beach is so nice. No rocks, stones, the water is clear to see all the way to the bottom. The activities on the beach are great. Roach (entertainment person) did an interactive cooking class on the beach on two different days that was awesome. Great to taste the local fare. The service, the people, everyone is so extremely friendly. Although I didn't get all the names of the servers, they are all so wonderful and kind and welcoming. ESPECIALLY the breakfast servers. All were so sweet and so attentive to every little detail. I was there from May 18-24. If going to Jamaica I would recommend not going in May or June because it is their rainy season. Kind of puts a damper on things.

The shows at night are great and they also have a movie every night. The food at Secrets is fabulous! The Asian and the French places were so good. Breakfast and lunch buffets were really good and had a really huge variety. All good stuff. They even served gluten free bread! The drinks are super especially good at the swim up bar. Those were the best bartenders. Not like a lot of resorts --the alcohol was all good quality and you could taste it in the drinks!

All in all, a great place to stay. Worth it all. Theresa was especially helpful with the check out process and Apple Travel did a great job of a tour to a coffee/pineapple plantation we took. Theresa and Blue also were great company at the Chefs Table dinner. They offer yoga classes every morning on the beach.

I tasted jerk chicken at several different places and what they served on the traveling cart at Secrets was by FAR the best! They have bottled water readily available along the beach in iced barrels, fresh fruit stands, snack bars --all along the beach. Can't beat it.

All in all, I definitely recommend the Secrets St. James for your stay in Jamaica.

Room Tip: Have to upgrade to an ocean view. It is so great to have the water view off the balcony. Definitely...
2  Thank MNardozzi2014
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

It gives us a most fulfilling feeling to read your review. Your recommendation of us as the ideal destination to visit in Jamaica is definitely invaluable as what we do thrives on the feedback received from our guests. Coupled with the beautiful features of our property, our team does make an extra effort to ensure that all guests receive the best service, enjoy the food, and the activities and amenities that are offered. I am very happy to read that you were able to enjoy so much, including the cooking class and jerk chicken which is popular among others guests as well.

Thanks also for making mention of our gluten-free products available; just another way that we try to accommodate the needs of a wider variety of guests.

It certainly was a pleasure to have been your hosts and we look forward to the opportunity to do so again in future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Came here to celebrate a friends 50th birthday with a group of other lesbian women. So I played with the fact of coming to Jamaica because of their same sex discrimination, but to my surprise no issues what so ever. I enjoyed my time at this resort because the food (mainly jerk man on the beach) was amazing. Words could not express how I looked for this jerk cart every day and was not disappointed. This was the highlight of my trip; the rooms were very nice and the adult atmosphere was a plus.

Room Tip: The rooms that are higher and directly across from the water is simply amazing waking up to.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends