“Definite return destination!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“Definite return destination!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Secret's St. James surpassed our expectations.....the food was excellent, and the choices abundant. Our room was spotless, We had a leak in our shower the first day and reported it - by the time we returned from the pool it had been fixed. Staff was friendly, accommodating and sincere -- Christene in the Preferred check-in was awesome - sweet and caring - very helpful.
The girls in the Concierge area - Duwanne & Kamara are always smiling and very sincere in their desire to make sure you have every little thing you need.
Orville - in the French Restaurant was a dear as well. he kindly had his mgr arrange for a wheelchair in a pinch for our traveling companion who needed a "lift" due to a beach injury.
Grounds were impeccable - amazing flowers....and resident peacocks making appearances every night.
Only "negative" is we wanted to snorkel, but were told we had to go with a group escort to use the equipment -- therefore, if you want to go on your own, take your own equipment. Also - take bug spray - the mosquitos do come out at night.

Definitely returning to this beautiful resort.!!

Room Tip: Opt to upgrade to the preferred section -- its next to the gym and the spa and has a nice quiet pool...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cindy W
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for having visited our resort and for sharing your wonderful review with us. I am happy that you everything was beyond your expectations and the food and cleanliness stood out most. Thank you also for your special mention of those team members that made your stay even more special.

Please accept our apology once again for the shower leak. I am however happy that you were pleased with the outcome and how quickly the issue was resolved.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,335)
  • Czech first
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent the most awesome five days at Secrets St. James from june 2nd, and every day from our arrival until the day we left was a wonderful experience. It began with Renae and Venecia our front desk team headed by Ms Marlene Dixon, checking in was so easy with them, and Ms. Dixon took the time out from her busy schedule to greet us and to make sure we were okay. The food was superb, Deneca, our waitress at breakfast,was wonderful. we made sure we were seated at her station each morning. O'Brien and Joven our waiters at dinner gave exceptional service, it was fun to watch Joven carrying our drinks on his head. Thanks to Cisilyn who took care of our rooms, you could see the pride she took in her work, and thanks to the ladies who turned down our beds each night, and such comfortable beds. We will definately be staying there again and again, we will also be experiencing Wild Orchids, we liked what we saw. Thanks again to everyone who made our vacation so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and our rooms overlooked the beach and pool, i am not sure what side of the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your most recent stay at our resort. It is great that you were able to enjoy many things about the property, including the food and the services of some of our exceptional team members.

It was certainly a pleasure to have been your hosts and we do look forward to becoming your Home away from home.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was the first time I had been to any of the Secrets resorts. We stayed at the Secrets St. James during Memorial Day weekend. This was great becasue Secrets also has Wild Orchid next door from the resort so you get the amentities from both properties allowing you to choose whether you want to be at a quiter beach or pool in St. James or more activites in Wild Orchid. The employees do everything possible to make your stay first class. Everyone from the concierges to even maintenence crew. One day my wife was looking forward to the fresh coconuts which were cut in front of you and made into a drink. This day they were not offered and Melvin the maintanence worker overhead us and offered to go on other side of resort to get one for her personally. Great guy and the people are just happy to make your stay enjoyable. The photgrapher Erroll (the christmas tree guy) was rushing across resort and stopped to take several pictures of us. Again, above and beyond.
The rooms were very nice and very clean, the food was good, spa was very enjoyable. We looked forward to every night after dinner coming back to room to see what the housekeeping staff did to the room as rose petals, special towels, and small gifts were left every night. I would recommend skipping the 90 minute presentation they offer to get an additional $100 in spa coupons as it is a waste of time and all the coupons could not be used in 1 sitting.
Just want to thank everyone in the Hotel for making it an enjoyable stay. I would return to this hotel but look forward to trying other Secrets resorts.

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special occasion, make sure you tell the hotel to reserve you one of the ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mattoc24
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I just returned from the Secrets St. James in Montego Bay. It was truly a 5 star resort! 5 Gourmet restaurants to choose from, swim up bars, room service included and fun people all around! Even know the resort is geared for couples, I ended up taking a friend last minute after discovering my husband's passport was expired (the day before we were to leave), and it was still a fun vacation! We met lots of other people and just had an all-around great time! I definitely am going to take my husband back so he can experience the beauty of both the resort and the people there.
While there, we also did an excursion to Mayfield Falls (organized through the resort), and I would also definitely recommend that excursion over some of the other waterfall tours (which are very touristy)- at Mayfield Falls you get a true feel of the Jamaican spirit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank gina l
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our Honeymoon destination could not have been better. Our every need was taken care of. the Staff were awesome, so happy to help us. We had a romantic meal for 2 and Robert our waiter was superb. The Spa Facilities at the resort were exceptional and the SPA staff were so good at their job, I found Stephanie was particularly helpful.
There is a fine selection of restaurants and the service was always fantastic. Food and Drink variety is second to none, and there is the opportunity to sample the local cuisine.
At night there were Tree frogs so perhaps bring earplugs if you're a light sleep this really helped me. thought I didn't notice after the first couple of nights. In June there was perhaps an hour of rain but this in no way impacted our holiday. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank IRLsteve
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

First of all, everyone in our group had a fantastic time. The food was amazing, most especially the breakfast buffet. We never had a meal we didn't like. The bell boys, check in staff and entertainment staff seemed to really enjoy their jobs and were exceptionally nice. The grounds were immaculate. They were very well kept and lush. Barrels of water stationed along the paths are a very nice touch. The resort is very nice.
Now on to the downside. I don't know what happened but we went with another couple celebrating their anniversary. Somehow, they got rose petals for their last night and we didn't. Also, I wouldn't say our room was exceptionally clean. I saw a number of hairs in our room upon first entering. One in the bath tub, some around sink, a few on the floor. Don't know if the maid was shedding or floor wasn't swept. Definitely weren't ours, though. Didn't tell husband or he would have been grossed out. Furthermore, there was a serious lack of wait staff around pool, breakfast and lunch buffet, beach, and bar at night. Took us forever to get drinks at beach. And the poor waitress that waited on us acted like she would have preferred to be anywhere other than there waiting on us. Couple of times for lunch and breakfast we didn't have silverware and it took some searching to find someone to get us some. Forget trying to order a drink at the night time bar. As one gentleman said to me, it is hard to get drunk around here. Will say busboys did excellent job keeping water filled and plates cleared.
As for entertainment, I fear we were greatly misled. We picked this resort based on their advertising that they had Vegas style shows in an amphitheater type location. Never once did we see any show advertised except Thor the movie on a big screen at the Coffee shop area. As for the 3 guy boy band that did play one night, yikes! Furthermore, don't be fooled by the night club. It reeks of mildew as does the casino and both are not to be taken seriously. Band stops playing at 10:30pm, be warned. I can't help but think that Secrets had tons advertised on their website for things to do like Eurobungee but once we got there I didn't see or hear one iota about it.
For people looking for a nice expanse of beach, don't come here. Although beautiful, actual beach is quite small and so seating is pretty crammed together.
All this being said, it is a newer resort so everything is nice and new. With a few tweaks, Secrets would definitely be amazing.
*Had some sort of alarm clock in room, never did quite figure out how to use it.
* Daily list of activities was very helpful.

Room Tip: Do get a second floor or higher or you may have Peacocks visiting.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hope G
Chicago, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2014

From May 6th-May 13th I took a solo trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica. I had always wanted to go and wanted to treat myself for my 40th Birthday. The Secrets St. James was suggested to me by a friend and he loved it. I took a chance, did a little research and hoped for the best. By this being my first solo trip and my first time in Jamaica I didn't know what to expect but I was excited none the less. Upon arrival I was greeted by the airport transfer service paid for through my Delta Airline Vacation Package. I was taken to the hotel where I was greeted by a friendly bellhop by the name of RODERICK who instructed me to leave my bags with him as he escorted me into the hotel where there were beautiful dark hardwood floors, dark wood covering some of the walls, and comfy couches to sit. He asked me if I would like a glass of Champagne while I waited to be checked in. As I sipped my Champagne, check-in was easy but I had to wait a bit because there are only three check in desks. The other two desks were for concierge and booking activities. RODERICK showed me to my room which was just as nice, huge comfy bed, nice view, fully stocked wet bar, and nice bathroom. I thought the curtain separating your bedroom from your bathroom was a little strange but since I was alone, I didn't have a privacy issue. About 3 days into my stay my shower started to leak huge puddles. I reported this to a front desk person who blew it off and gave me a bit of attitude. This could not be tolerated so I asked the concierge ANTONETTE what happened and asked to speak to a Supervisor. After a few calls ANTONETTE located a Supervisor by the name of KEVIN. I explained my great disappointment with what had occurred and he immediately apologized and upgraded my room to a beautiful Ocean View Suite. It was gorgeous!!! The rest of my stay was great! The food was awesome! I especially loved these restaurants; Himitsu, Portofino, Bordeaux, Blue Mountain and World Cafe. The daily itinerary with all the goings on for the day was handy to have. I caught a great cooking class, with CASSIE and learned how to make jerk fish on the grill, and I also make a few bracelets in another class. All this while sipping on a daily drink special..my favorite was the Jamaica Delight! As with all places there were some unpleasant staff members as well as other vacationers but I didn't let them ruin my trip. If you are a woman travelling alone, beware of all the Jamaican men trying to talk to you. I laughed it off most of the time and promised to meet most of them at Margaritaville which I never went LOL! The ladies in Concierge really hassle you about the time share program they had which became annoying after a few days, I had a great time but would probably try another resort during my next visit to Jamaica. CAN'T FORGET!!!LOVED THE JERK CHICKEN CART, FRESH FRUIT CART, COCONUT WATER MAN, AND THE BURGERS AT (SEASIDE GRILL?) YUMMY!!

Room Tip: Go for the corner Ocean Suites on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!