“Micah & Antoinette "Excellence in the Highest Form"”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Service is extra extraordinary!! The view from the Hotel room facing the ocean is stupendous!! The room was simply gorgeous! The whole experience was so breath taking that we did not want to leave. The staff is the best I have ever been around!! 5 star hospitality at its best Thank you all so much!!! The food is fabulous!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms on the 4th floor are great!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,568)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and I had our first wedding anniversary at Secrets St. James, Preferred. The beauty of Montego Bay is amazing, but it is the Jamaican people who truly enhance the experience! Garfield, a Bellman, Kaye from Housekeeping, Elaine on the beach, and Shanique our concierge were extremely nice and helpful, and helped make our experience unforgettable!

6  Thank Jim W
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have never been to the Caribbean. For my wife's 40th, we decided to go and had some friends come with us. They said all-inclusive was the best thing and I read a lot of reviews here and decided on Secrets St. James because of the great reviews.

Jamaica was awesome, great tours but sitting under those cool palapas on the beach, with the great breeze and having frozen drinks brought to you is fantastic! The beach isn't as white as Negril (we visited there later in the week) and neither are as white as Destin, but it was still nice.

There isn't a lot of ocean swimming area in front of the St. James, but it was plenty, the beach was big, just that the water area was roped off for the snorkeling, scuba and water sports boats.

The pool has a swim up bar and great servers. We LOVED Carrie Ann. She was so helpful and remembered what we liked to drink. There is a jerk chicken cart that is between the pool and beach everyday (all-included of course), fresh fruit stand, burger/hot dog bar, etc. You will not want for food here.

The restaurants, for the most part, are on the Wild Orchid side. We tried all but the Mexican one (we get plenty of great Mexican in Texas). My favorite was the hibachi restaurant, so good and loved the sauces. Breakfast buffet each morning will pack on the pounds if you aren't careful. The banana smoothies and cooked to order omelets were fantastic. Many kinds of breads, French toast, pancakes, brulee French toast, and much more. Did I mention unlimited Bloody Marys and Mimosas?

They had some planned activities, but we were doing some tours and only participated in the beach bash (dancing on the beach to DJ music) and my wife did the snorkeling (only about 30 minutes of actual snorkeling).

They do try to pitch you on joining their club, but we didn't sign up for the pitch and they didn't push. They had a birthday banner and bottle of rum for us for my wife's birthday celebration, very nice.

The room service was the one drawback. The hamburger was not good, it was a soy tasting burger (though it said it was grass fed beef). Another day I ordered a continental breakfast (it had taken 25 minutes the first time I ordered) and it never came after and hour and we had to leave for our tour.

The steak was just ok, so out of four room service orders, one never came, one was bad, the other ok and the continental breakfast that did come was decent. This is what cost them 5 stars (I actually considered dropping it to 3 due to the room service).

Check in and check out was pretty painless. I don't think they should charge for wireless in the room, it is free on the grounds, doesn't make sense at an all-inclusive, but this was our first.

All in all, pretty darn great place. Oh, and the giant hot tub on the beach was cool as well.

Room Tip: As for higher floors to see the ocean.
4  Thank Randy M
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the secrets st James hotel! We were amazed at the whole experience your hotel provided from location cleanliness and more than 5star hospitality from your staff we will definitely be returning next yr for our first anniversary Thankyou so much

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Tony C
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was lucky enough to earn a trip to the Secrets St. James resort in May through my work and it was a great overall experience. This was my first time at an all-inclusive resort, and my expectations were definitely met and exceeded. I would recommend this resort to any of my friends and family.

Staff: The staff was very friendly and accomodating. On our first day at the resort, we got to talk to the landscaping crew working outside by our porch. They were happy to tell us about the resort and what to expect, see, and do. They even brought us fresh coconuts. They were sure to stop and say hello each day and make sure we were having a great time. I can't say enough great things about them. They helped make the trip so great, especially 'Dr. Dre.' The staff at the desks, restaurants, and bars were all extremely friendly as well.

Food:The restaurants were all good with great service. We were able to get right in and the selection of restaurants was nice. Breakfast buffets were great as well, and the jerk chicken carts are definitely worth finding during the day! The room service was good as well.

Drinks: There's plenty of selection of drinks, with bottled water along the sidewalks by the beach, and the bars with plenty of options. All well stocked. Try the zombie at the pool bar! A great drink for taking in the beach.

Rooms: The room we had was on the first floor with a nice patio that led out to the pool area. I was a little timid about being on the first floor, but I am glad we were. It was easy to walk right out to the beach during the day, and we even had the peacocks walk right up to us.

Overall: The beaches were extremely well taken care of, the rooms were very nice (the bathroom setup was interesting with just a see-through curtain separating the room), and the resort was beautiful. This was a great experience, and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank CalcoteM
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just got back from Secrets St James vacation and LOVED it! I am highly critical and have to say that the resort lived up to most of my expectations. First and foremost I chose this resort because of the prime beach location. It was pretty hot while I was there- mid to high 80's so I pretty much stayed in the ocean the entire time. The water is breathtaking and feels like taking a bath! The ocean is very clear, calm and little fish swim up to you. I went on the guided snorkeling tour (included) which was fantastic, there are some beautiful reefs near by with beautiful, colorful fish. The grounds were really beautiful. I loved how there were rock walk ways and the beautiful gazebo. The beach was DEFINITELY the selling point of this hotel, absolutely beautiful. The pools are nice but I do feel they could have done a better job. However, I did not come for the pool but to relax on the beach. We did a "nature walk" and LOVED it, it was interesting to learn about all the flowers and plants in Jamaica. The hotel has many peacocks and we got to see baby peacock eggs on our nature walk, which we loved. The staff were really very nice. All were friendly and very pleasant. A select few were not as nice as others though. The food is hit or miss. I enjoyed most of the restaurants but was disappointed with Portofino and Himitsu. I come from NY where food is top notch so perhaps that's why. My boyfriend ordered a seafood pasta dish at the Italian restaurant and it had no flavor. The hibachi sauces were not so great and they overcooked the meat. The French (Boreaux) restaurant, however, was fantastic. I loved the fondue- was amazing! I also loved the homemade potato chips at the Barefoot Grill- so yummy! The breakfast buffet was by far, the best! They had an amazing selection, wow! Also, try the Jerk chicken, was yummy but spicy. The drinks were also very good- they have a very extensive cocktail list- however you can only order two beers- Carib or Red Stripe. Overall, amazing vacation, I really loved it! YA MON! ;)

2  Thank PearlDive0
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent our 24th wedding anniversary there this past week. Our stay was wonderful all the way from the time we got to the resort until we left. I did not want to leave at all. Can't wait to go back for our next trip. Who knows, we may renew our vows for the 25th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2014