“I will be going back”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel staff was super nice, the grounds were clean, the food was good and the beaches were great!. I wouldn't beleve any review that did not give this place five stars. Jamaica is a run down little island, but this resort is great!!!

Room Tip: Every room has a good ocean view, even the basic ones, it will be hard to go wrong.
1  Thank Adam R
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review of our resort. Feedback such as yours means much to us as an indication of a job well done. Your comments have been shared with our entire team and we will continue to work hard at maintaining our standards of excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back Home!

eConcierge Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (6,569)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I'm a critical reviewer and I don't just hand out 5 stars like they are hot cakes but honestly, I can't see how anyone can give Secrets anything else than a 5 star. This place definitely understands the hotel and hospitality business to a supreme level.

When you think of All inclusives, most people think of long buffet lines, screaming babies and watered down drinks. Secrets couldn't be further from this stereotype, everything about Secrets is first rate as described below:

SERVICE: Wow wow wow. A big applause to the GM and entire management staff for what they have been able to formulate. The staff is simply amazing all the way from the front desk personnel to the gardeners. I'm impressed at the type of recruiting processes the HR department must have to find such amazing staff on such a consistent basis, so much so that if they offered behind the scenes tour into some of their recruiting and training processes I would gladly take the first flight to Mobay to take part in it.

I have stayed at world class hotels such as The Willard Hotel, Ritz Carlton, The Greenbrier and The Waldorf Astoria and I haven't seen this sort of consistency in the high level of service as I have at Secrets. If management is reading this, you are doing a phenomenal job with your staff, please keep it up and thank you very much for your efforts. A special thank you also to Alex and Sean the Magician in the entertainment team, these guys were so hospitable and so awesome that my fiancé and I plan to stay in touch with them and are a good reason why we want to return in December to Secrets.

FOOD: Top Notch. All the restaurants we ate at was delicious especially the French restaurant. We really liked the fact that you don't have to make reservations at any of the restaurants and we never had to wait too long to be seated. The Buffet was also pretty good with a nice variety of food with good tasty quality. The only improvement I would recommend is an expansion of the breakfast room service menu that is pretty much limited to a continental breakfast.

DRINKS: Top Shelf, I never felt like the drinks were watered down at all and they had my go to drink MR good ol Johnny Walker Black label so I was a happy camper. You also have you also have to try the Iceberg (frozen margarita inside a cold beer....yum) while at the sports bar watching the World Cup games I witnessed a lady order some kind of coconut infused drink but unfortunately the bar was out of coconuts and the coconut guys were gone so Craig, the bartender, simply yelled out to one of the gardeners to climb a coconut tree and get a coconut so he can make the lady her drink..... Now that's what I call service!!!!!!!!!!! Simply amazing and a joy to see such a can-do attitude.

ENTERTAINMENT: A++++++, Alex and the magician is super starts, these guys are so hard working but you can tell that they truly enjoy their job because you honestly feel like they are one of the guests of the hotel rather than a paid staff. They are great conversationalists and worked very hard to make sure that everyone was having a good time and enjoying every bit of their vacation.

We were lucky enough to having being at Secrets during their July 4th event and my fiancé and I have vowed to make Secrets our 4th of July destination every year as they celebrate it better than we do here in the US. I mean they go all out!!!! They set up a really nice looking stage on the beach and had an amazing beach party and BBQ complete with a parade and amazing fireworks at night, not to mention a visit by the king himself Mr Elvis Presley.

The night club was also pretty nice with a good sound system and great music and also some great dancing by the entertainment team.

GROUNDS: Gorgeous, impeccably clean and thorough. There are so many benches where you can simply sit and gaze into the ocean, hammocks to take an afternoon snooze, and areas to just walk around the property to enjoy.

ROOMS: Beds seem a little dated but comfortable nevertheless. We originally got a room on the first floor and after trying to get something better to no avail we decided to upgrade to the Club and we got a room on the 4th floor oceanfront that had an impeccable view. The room was spacious enough and had all the toiletries that we desired.

OVERALL: We simply loved Secrets and vowed to return every year to enjoy this great property, great staff and great management team. The experience was so good that we are also going to try Secrets in Cancun out the next time we visit Cancun rather than our favorite Sun Palace resort.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above Oceanview or Oceanfront
8  Thank dgirma1980
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We loved everything about Secrets! We loved all their food especially!! They had so many food choices that never got bored or had to eat the same thing over and over. Beautiful beach and warm water and gorgeous room. Loved the sweet staff and the price couldn't be beat for what we got!! We highly recommend Secrets :-)

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank LinneaRH

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for having selected our resort for your recent vacation. Your comments have been shared with our team and we are truly grateful for your review and pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one. Your review is much appreciated and it is our hope that you will give us many more opportunities to offer you our usual excellent service.

Thank you for your open recommendation of us.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was my first of many more to come international vacation. I was not disappointed at all. The resort is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. I bought a bottle of liquor from the gift shop and the lid wasn't sealed good on the box. Needless to say it slide out onto the floor and broke. As I was checking out I told the guy checking me out what happened and he gave me a bottle to replace it. I'm already planning my next vacation.

1  Thank Zamaria S
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Guest satisfaction is our main priority and we always aim to please. I am happy that you were not disappointed by your experience and the service received here during your recent vacation. Your appreciation of the property’s beauty and the service received up to the very end is well received by our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many

Reviewed 16 July 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Secrets St James Montego Bay, we were treated like family. We marvelled at the beauty of the resort every day we were there - the grounds are perfectly manicured and the beach was stunning. As it was our honeymoon, we were upgraded to a King size bed and were offered several special perks including a complimentary champagne breakfast in bed. On arrival our room had a cheese and cracker plate with some wine glasses ready for our enjoyment - all we had to do was call down for the chilled bottle of wine to be delivered!

The food at this resort was consistently delicious - from the buffets to the various restaurants - we were always delighted by the meals and by the service from the wait staff. As a diagnosed celiac, I often have a hard time eating safely while traveling, but at this resort I didn't have any issues. There were numerous gluten free options/alternatives available, including gluten free muffins at breakfast and gluten free pasta at the italian-themed restaurant. I felt understood and confident eating at this resort and always enjoyed the food - probably the highlight of our trip!

The resort was generally quiet, and we thoroughly enjoyed the resort spa, treating ourselves to 50 minute reflexology massages. This was by far the best spa experience I have ever had - from the hydrotherapy circuit to the waiting room treatment and the actual massage itself - worth every dollar spent!

On top of all this, the staff at this resort were absolutely amazing - totally accommodating, welcoming and friendly. Every staff we encountered greeted us, and anytime we were looking for assistance the staff went above and beyond to answer our questions/help us out. The staff really make the resort experience so much more enjoyable!!

I would recommend this resort again and again - we will definitely be returning sometime in the future to celebrate our anniversary!!

Room Tip: When booking an oceanview room, be sure to request one on an upper floor - our top floor oceanview r...
3  Thank AshleyMDColeman

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for having selected our resort as your honeymoon destination of choice. It was truly a pleasure to have hosted you and to have helped in creating wonderful memories for you both.

Our team is grateful for your kind remarks and I am particularly glad that you had only positive comments about so many areas of our operation. Much effort does go into creating a complete experience for our guests and so, your love for our staff, the excellent service, among other things is much appreciated. Your satisfaction with the available selections of gluten free products has also been noted and our chefs are very much pleased by this. We have tried to be very accommodating in this area so I must thank you in particular for this.

Thank you for your recommendation of our resort and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We look forward to welcoming you back for many more planned vacations.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We visited in Mid-May, 2014. The resort if beautiful and part of this may be the result of the constant rain.
This is a great place to go if all you want to do is stay on the resort and drink (and you don't care too much about the drinks). Those who talk about off the resort: we were told by two different taxi drivers not to leave the resort. We did once, make sure you pay the driver to stay and wait for you. So if you do not like cattle car all day "tours" plan on staying on the resort. If you do want a tour, book early. AND make sure you go by early to get your representative to tell you when your charter is leaving...we had to go by Apple three times and he did not know and finally told us and got snide when we did not book a tour.
The hotel staff was largely great if you saw them but we literally walked out of a restaurant after being ignored for 20 minutes. The best restaurant is the Seaside Grill and I don't know why people don't go there more often. Wonderful staff and the only restaurant other than breakfast that made us feel like they actually welcomed us there. The French restaurant depends on your server...we sat there for about 15 minutes and my husband walked over to the piano bar to get us a drink. Then the waiter took our order and disappeared as we watched other diners come in, get seated and get their appetizers. Then ours brought bread. The escargot was great but my medium rare filet was brought twice as heavy medium well. Note though, that the "dress code" in the daily flyer is different and a lot less strict than what is posted on the site. And breakfast was amazing if crowded.
Don't even count on room service, orders wrong and took forever. Ordered something, waited 45 minutes, they said just a little while longer, another 30 minutes, "it is on its way", another 30 minutes and we called again..."sorry we don't have that!"
Tip the bartenders big (as in a $20 early) or they will ignore you.
It is really beautiful if, like I said, you just want to hang at the resort.

Room Tip: Go for the premium upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Linda T
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Secrets and AMStar Resorts continues to amaze me. Secrets St. James has a beautiful setting, lots of pool choices, lots of dining choices, and a splendid Spa. However, the real "secret" is the hospitality of the Jamaican people. The staff at the hotel was courteous, punctual, and very competent. The staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcome. Even off the property, the Jamaican community was warm and welcoming. I'll be going back to Secrets St. James...

Room Tip: Be sure go get a Caribbean view
6  Thank WestVirginiaAndy