“Wanna Play Getaway 2014 with Timeless Brands USA”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wanna Play Getaway 2014 with Timeless Brands USA”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had the most amazing time and fun at your resort from July 23-27, 2014. I honestly wished I had came a day earlier or stayed a day later. The resort & staff were amazing! It was a very relaxed & welcoming resort. So many great memories to last a lifetime! I highly recommend this resort. You guys accommodated our group in great care & concern! Thank you once again.

Andrea Bushrod

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pretty_lady65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,347)
  • Czech first
Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Let me start by saying I do not feel that any of the inconstancies that our group experienced were a direct factor of the employees, but rather the management.

There is only one air-conditioned restaurant on the resort property. If you plan to go, good luck convincing the men to wear pants and closed toed shoes for the 15-minute walk to the restaurant in 90-degree weather.

If you are traveling with a party of 8, don’t plan to dine together. As mentioned about the pants if you don’t wear them you have to sit outside and if you sit outside “the policy” is they cannot join tables. Did not figure that logic out since they gave both tables to the same sever. Tip: try to find two 4 top tables close together and inch them closer to each other during the dinner service.

The food is okay. I found it to be spotty. Dining experience was 100% great. You might like an appetizer at one place and entrée at another and forget about the deserts; they were nothing to gain calories over. Tip: if you need a drink fast at dinner go to the Piano bar and order it. You will save yourself a 10 minute wait for the sever to get your drink.

Special occasions: they do offer a complementary birthday surprise when traveling on your birthday. However it took one email and two visits to the front desk to get it, and it did not include everything that the email confirmed it would. Tip: don’t expect it to happen because they confirmed it would, go back until it gets done.

Activities: there are far less activities during the weekend. If you plan to go on a bike ride you must go Monday-Friday. No you cannot rent the bikes for a fee on the weekend, it is not allowed.

Overall, I would have to think hard about returning to this property. The only reason I would consider it, is the location. Secrets is ideal if you are not traveling with a large party and your main factor is great beaches and a well-kept resort. If you are looking for the best food and service, this is not the resort for you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Barbiegirl0031
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 5 August 2014

All inclusive should mean just that and St. James meet every whim. Beautiful beach and crystal clear water with comfortable lounge chairs in the shade of a palm or in the sun. Service was just a matter of a raised hand most times. Friendly staff looking for ways to take care of guest be it food to your liking or a cold beverage of your choosing. The hermit crab races as we were leaving just topped of another great day.

2 Thank Lou C
New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Close to the airport, Secrets St. James is my home away from home. I love this resort! It shares the same property as Secrets Wild Orchid. The property is meticulously manicured. There are excellent choices of restaurants with great food, wines, champagnes and top shelf liquors. Great clean rooms with private balconies. I have used the Spa that also sell a line of product. It's all about you when you are at Secret St. James

Room Tip: I tend to like rooms that are not on the ground floor, but all rooms from what I see offers beauti...
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was sent here for a work trip and added in a couple extra days so I could explore the island a bit on my own. I'm not accustomed to being waited on hand and foot - generally when I travel for work I am staying at a Hilton style hotel and when I travel on my own I camp. So this was a completely new experience for me - and it was pretty great! All of the restaurants located within this resort were fantastic but my favorite had to be the hibachi restaurant - the cooks and servers were so entertaining and the food was fantastic!!! One night a week they open the resort to local vendors who come in to sell their goods - brush up on your bargaining skills before you purchase anything! There were a lot of activities offered - snorkeling, kayaking, excursions booked through the hotel and many pools to enjoy as well as the beautiful beach and ocean! Since I was here for work, the only problem I had was the in room wifi wasn't working. Apparently they were switching vendors and the wifi had been down for about a month already. Occasionally I was able to get a signal in the lobby, but it would never stay connected for long. My company had hired a driver to bring us to and from work each day. When I had completed my work days and was on my own for a couple of days I booked one of the excursions through the hotel. Turns out our drivers cousin was the driver for the excursions so he took extra care to make sure I thoroughly enjoyed my trip! The entire experience was great - although I would have enjoyed myself more if I had brought a loved one and it was a vacation rather than a work trip. Even though I was by myself for a couple of days, I made friends with several guests and spent time getting to know them. Everyone was so friendly - staff and guests alike. Bonus - there were peacocks all over the resort! They were so fun to watch - especially the babies!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean or pool view - they are amazing! I don't know if there is a bad room at this re...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was our forth visit at the Secrets St-James. (July 20th to 29th 2014) Again, it was unique. The entire Secrets team made us feel that we were very very very VIP clients. The cleanliness and the quiet of the Secrets St-James are still there.

We want to thank again Mr. Ramirez for the warm "welcome home" in the Preferred Club. A special thank to Marcia, you have offered us a real surprise. It was true, you have taken care of everything for us.

After four stays at this resort, we have still discovered some new improvements. Based on our conversation with Mr. Huhn (GM), continuous improvement is a real value and a challenge for him on a daily basis.

Also, we want to say : "Thank you" to Patrick our butler. "You are an important contributor of the success of our vacation". Patrick is the wonderful demonstration of the word "Service". You are great! It was also a pleasure to meet Michael (our butler, last year). As he said, I will be your butler for all your life!!!

The best restaurant was the Italian. A very very special thank to Fabian and the manager Diana, we already miss you. The Oceana and the Seaside Gril were great too by the quality of the food and the presentations.

We will do the maximum to get back "home" again next year (March 2015).

Sylvie and Jean

4 Thank JLSB_2000
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My boyfriend and I have traveled to Aruba together once a year for the past three years. We decided to go somewhere different this year and found that Secrets St. James was the most appealing place in our price range and we were right! We were thrilled to find that the resort was only 15 minutes away from the airport while other travelers had about a 2 hour ride to other locations on the island. Since we arrived in the afternoon we were able to check-in immediately. However, we did speak to other guests who arrived in the morning and needed to wait until the afternoon check-in. We opted to upgrade to an ocean view room with Preferred Club access for about $80 extra a night which I would highly suggest. We were able to enjoy all the perks of the Preferred Club except being in the Preferred building which did not really matter. The main perk was being able to fast-pass through immigration and security on our trip home as well as wifi via an iPad in our room. The hotel room was very nice and clean however, make sure you place the little card on your bed if you want to have your sheets changed each day. Each night the turndown service would drop off an itinerary of the next day's activities which was very helpful.

The beach at St. James was beautiful and the water was very calm. We never had an issue getting a hut regardless of what time we showed up. Our beach server, Romario was GREAT! He was both very attentive and personable. I would suggest sitting in a hut in his area! We spent time at the both the Preferred pool which was very relaxing and the main pool which had more activities. We did not take advantage of any of the beach activities provided by the resort. However, we did do the catamaran that sails out every Friday morning. For $85 per person you sail with an open bar to snorkel and then to get to spend some time at Margaritaville which has food and drink as well as a water slide and inflatable trampolines in the water. I would HIGHLY suggest this activity. Other couples we met did go to the falls and zip-lining, however, we did not feel like a 2 hour drive to and from those activities were really worth it.

Since my boyfriend and I have only ever been on non-inclusive vacations to Aruba we are used to experiencing amazing food. The food at the resort was great if you are used to all inclusive food however, we found it to be average. We really enjoyed the lunch buffet, Jerk Chicken Cart and both the Jamaican and the French restaurant (ate there twice). We did make reservations for the hibachi which we could have done without. The chef was good but the food for the hibachi was weird. We were also not fans of the Mexican restaurant.

After dinner each night we would head over to the piano bar area to watch whatever performance was happening on the main stage. The performers were all very entertaining and talented. However, on our final night the Silver Birds Steel Orchestra performed and they were OUTSTANDING! The entertainment staff on the resort was also great. Melo, Alex and the "Magician" were all very friendly and engaging! On our last few nights we headed over to Desires Night Club which was a lot of fun because we made friends with other couples on the trip as well as the entertainment staff.

One thing to point out is that the nightly shows do happen on the Wild Orchid side of the resort so it can get loud. My boyfriend and I, as well as the other couples we met were all incredibly happy that we chose to stay on the St. James side. The St. James beach is A LOT nicer, preferred pool is bigger, main pool is less crowded but still fun and when you go to the room at night it is quiet.

Overall, I would recommend this resort to a friend. The rooms were clean, beach was gorgeous, staff was friendly and the entertainment was great! I would have to say the only downside was some of the food. We stayed for a week which I would say was the perfect amount of time (it seems like the activities and entertainment are all on a week rotation).

5 Thank CRMack8
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!