“Our Perfect Getaway”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 1 week at the end of Feb/early March.
We had the most amazing time! I mean there were some fault, but the positives outweighed them completely. Plus we were on holiday…the weather was amazing and the cocktails were flowing so we didn’t let small things get us down!
The rooms were amazing. Beautiful. We loved the room service hatch, was nice to have that privacy, if you had just gotten out of the shower etc… and didn’t want people in your room, great idea.
We didn’t have any issues with our minibar being refilled whatsoever, it was done every day without fail, as well as the maid service and the turndown service (which we loved!...made it so nice and relaxing coming back to your room with the nice lights on and the music on low…I felt like a child again, with my bed being made for me  )
The restuarants…were fine. Unfortunatley, we never made it to the Himitzu. We had a reservation, but then got side tracked by the beach party food, and then wasn’t able to get a reservation again. Our favourate was Portobello…the itallian. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t amazing! But hey, we’re not in Italy…we are in Jamaica, and the food was fine.
We also loved the Breakfast Menu…that was the biggest breakfast buffet I have ever seen!! The omletes were great.
One thing I do challenge any of you to do…is finish a glass of iced water!! Its impossible…they refill after one sip!!! HAHAHA!
My leave favourate was the French Restaurant. I ordered fishcake for my starter, and I kid you not…it was a chicken burger. It was n a fishcake no matter what the menu said…it was chicken!! Very strange. The rest of the food in their wasn’t great…but again, we were not in france!
Nice touch with the foot at the beach…Jerky chicken man…Burgerman…and Pizza Man  Not very healthy beach food, but you’re on holiday so it doesn’t matter!
We loved the swim up pool bar…perfect way to end the day before getting ready go out in the evenings. It was always full of fun friendly people around at this time.
One disapointment really…. No appletini for the whole week! My favourite drink, and they had no apple liquor… I was little bit devastated about this…but soon got over it once I tasted the Jamaican smile, bob marley, cosmo’s etc etc etc….
Gift shops typically overpriced…we got our souveniers from the airport.
Receptionist staff not too friendly once they have checked you in…don’t even look up when people walk past…but I suppose they don’t need to work for tips?

Would go back in an instant and would recommened this to anyone…probably young-middle ages couples who need to get away from family life for a week or so 
Most memorable staff were…Godfrey at the piano/reception bar, Alvin at the Piano Bar, Stacey-Ann at the poolside grill, Carisha at Portobello

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burgerelli
Write a ReviewReviews (6,983)

Reviewed 3 April 2011

One of the best vacations ever at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay. With their all inclusiveness, never had to worry about bringing cash or anything else along. Hotel room was exceptional, all staff from front desk, wait staff, bartenders, bell boys, security, etc were wonderful and made our trip fabulous. Quiet even though lots going on. Best of all no one walking around texting, phoning or emailing. Great relaxing vacation. We golfed too! This is definitely a 5 star vacation.

1  Thank Jano006
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Heading back on our flight and already missing the sun. We were a little apprenhensive with some of the reviews but were assured by our travel agent that this was the place to go in Jamaica. We were travelling with our besties so we were confident we could handle any negatives that came our way.
Check in: We had booked at St. James and upon arrival were escorted to their lounge for drinks while they checked on our room. We arrived at noon so our room was not yet available which was expected because check-in wasn't until 3. I guess you could count that as a negative if you are an unreasonable person! We had lunch and drinks and when we checked back our room was ready at Wild Orchid only 2 down from the couple we had come with. So far so good.
The room: Fantastic view and fantastic bed with plenty of pillows. The bathroom is open to the rest of the room so if you are a newly wed and not comfortable with your spouse it might be an issue for you. We are working on our 10th year of wedded bliss so we could have cared less. There is a book we read to our daughter when she was potty training called "Everybody poops". Anyone with negativity with aspect of the room should read it! The mini bar was well stocked daily and we made sure to tip the the first day to set the tone for the trip. Shower was very refreshing and the dual sinks allowed us to get ready concurrently.
The food: Room service has few choices and was not up to the quality of the restaurants but came very quickly! The buffet was outstanding for breakfast and lunch. Tons of variety. Try the crepes and omelettes. Jerky cart was AWESOME! The reviews are right on with this one. Bordeaux was our favorite and had great service and the Hibachi place is a must but you need to sit at one of the hibachi tables to enhance your experience. Portofino could have been skipped. Blue mountain was just ok.
Drinks: Lots of variety for mixed drinks including high end labels (grey goose, sapphire). There are only 2 beer choices but who really cares? It all tastes the same after your 3rd one! The bartenders were definitely a highlight with their great personalities. Look for Godfrey, Camilla or Everett in the Orchid lobby bar. Ask for a lemon drop shot and you'll be on your way to a GREAT day! Anthony also stood out at the swim up bar.
Activities/Pool/Beach: Our main purpose on this trip was relaxation. We did go snorkeling and it was exhilirating. They ran out of gear so the guides borrowed their personal gear to some of the guests. Most of the time we just hung out by the pool/beach. I found the pool temp to be the perfect temperature. The beach is not that expansive but was sufficient for our needs. You do need to reserve your chairs between 5:30 and 6:00am to gurantee shade. The 4 of us took turns so its really not a big of deal. The gaming lounge doesn't need to be there. Go to Vegas if you really want to gamble! The exercise room was pleasantly suprising with 2 treadmills, 3 elipiticals, 3 bikes, free weights, and a variety of circuit training equipment.
Overall: This is a GREAT resort. Yes there are some minor issues that will arise. The outdoor showers worked sporadically, they ran out of bacon, there was duct tape holding up some posters in the elevator. But if those are your complaints and it will ruin your trip, I don't think you would be happy staying anywhere! Secrets in Jamaica...respect mon!

Room Tip: Book at St James and hope to bumped to Wild Orchid
4  Thank menfalls
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Me and my partner visited SWO for 2 weeks over New Years. I had found the resort online a few months previous and couldn't wait to go there. I had done lots of research on hotels prior to picking SWO and I don't think I could have made a better choice!!! Firstly, I've stayed in lots of 5* resorts and so I have standards. I honestly couldn't find anything to moan about with this resort!
Upon arrival we were promptly seen to our room which was on the 3rd floor right at the front overlooking the sea. I think the resort is laid out well so we were close to everything, the beach, the shops, the pool etc. Some reviews on here the people have complained about the leaky showers or Mosquitos in the rooms! My partner usually gets bit bad when we are away and he got bit twice the whole time! And our shower was fine!!
We ordered room service every single day and never waited longer than about 15 mins for food although they always warned could be upto 30 min wait! Although the room service menu wasn't huge it was fine for snacking between meals.
Me and my partner LOVE our food and my partner does sometimes complain in restaurants. We were really impressed with all the restaurants though, especially the Italian. I think for an all inclusive the food was beautiful. No complaints at all. I particually like the way you don't need to make reservations. It was another thing people was complaining about in reviews but we liked the way we could put our names down, pop to the bar for a drink and by that time our table was ready. We never waited longer than 15 mins for a table!
The beach is just perfect. We never had a problem getting chairs by the pool or on the beach (we were up everyday by 8). The beach is immaculately clean every day and although the water was abit rocky in parts you just need to walk up a few yards to swim.
The staff at this resort (except for the guy at the coffee place) will bend over backwards to accommodate you. They are relaxed...true. But not too relaxed to help. They were all so friendly!!!
We
We met some wonderful couples at this resort, and this holiday was everything I'd hoped for!!! I can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Lmsmith22
Reviewed 31 March 2011

This place is magnificent, from the checking in, Dexter, Nordia, you guys rock! And your supervisor Karen, pays extra attention to your requests like finding or booking transportation outside the resort.

The rooms were great!! Ocean view through out and the cleaning lady made sure clean towels are in place.

The food was good! , had several options and the setting or the ambiance was cool.

The beach was not dirty! And the hot tub and the pools were regularly checked.

My stay was splendid. The people were all friendly and I would say YA MAN!!

I recommend this place any time and day to any one

Room Tip: TALK TO KAREN !! or just pick the top floor !
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cro2008
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Very clean, rooms were great, the beds were great and the staff was very nice and helpful. The food was good not great at the restaurants we ate at night. The breakfast and lunches were very good. The beaches are okay, but we spent most of the time at the pool. Overall we had a great time and only 15 minutes from the airport is nice. If they would upgrade the food from good to great it would be 4 1/2 stars. The beaches are not good enough for a 5 star rating.

Reviewed 31 March 2011

When I go on vacation all I need to be happy is chair on the beach with a drink in my hand. There are not many things that could truly ruin my vacation if I'm in nice weather and relaxing, so I'm not sure I understand some of the very negative bitter reviews. If I were at Half Moon or the Ritz I would have been annoyed about more but this is an all inclusive resort, it's all part of the package. With that said, there is obvious room for improvement here.

The resort is beautiful and still looks new. The rooms are gorgeous and I found the beds very comfortable. From what I understand all rooms are ocean view which is really nice. The doors are paper thin though, you can here carts rolling by at 7 a.m. and footsteps walking by your door. This didn't really bother me however because I was happy up by 9 each day, if you're a late sleeper this may be a problem.

The landscape is just beautiful. Your view is the ocean and beautiful grean mountains in the background. The beach is a little cove, with adorable jetties on both sides. FYI If you're a beach walker, which I am, you can't walk the beach, but the beauty makes up for it!

The food is good enough. Again this is an all inclusive resort, nothing is going to be 5 start gourmet, it's just not possible while accomodating all these people, but it is decent and fresh. The Japanese restaurant was our favorite, definetely make a resevation for the Hibachi, very fun and the food was good. I was impressed that an all inclusive would have this. The Blue Mountain Jamaican restaurant was our second favorite. The French and Italian were just so so but not terrible. The great thing about all inclusive is that if you're not crazy about your dish, just order another! I liked the poolside Oceana for lunch. They have great side dishes at the salad bar (tomato & feta salad, chick pea salads, roasted vegetables, couscous and guacamole/salsa). My boyfriend was obsessed with the Jerk chicken there, liked it even better then the cart. The drinks were great, my favorite was the Jamaican smile. I didn't even try the wine, I assumed it was not good based off of other all inclusive experiences. We bought a bottle most nights, the wine list for purchase is acutally pretty good.

There is a man walking up and down the resort with fresh coconuts, so great! You can drink it straight (I pay $3-$5 for a small coconut water in NYC!) or add a little rum and lime which is what I did.

The service was spotty. We had instances where the sevice was just outstanding and then others where it was non existant. A good example of this was at the spa, while doing the hyrdrotherapy the spa attendent was suppose to come and get us from the sauna in 10 minutes to take us to the next step, uh she just never returned. At 20 minutes we got out and just figured out the next steps by ourself. That's a huge liability in my book, to tell someone to wait in the sauna until they come back and they disappear? I did the same spa treatments at Excellence in Mexico, the attendant is by your side the whole time. I was not happy to say the least. Bonus though... there is a massage chair set up across of the restaurants in the morning, free 3-5 min massage just tip.

Nightlife I thought was great. They have live music outside most nights which I thought was awesome. Some really talanted people. I also loved how the piano bar was an open air bar so you weren't forced inside some where. The mini casino was pretty fun, they post the weekly winnings outside an apparantly some people were making money in there! It was a nice touch to mix things up some nights. They also have a great open air game area with pool tables, ping pong and a few other games which was fun.

My only real complaint would have to be the dress code. The website says "Casual Elegance" for most restuarants. My boyfriend assumed bermuda shorts with nice loafers and a golf shirt were acceptable. Living in NYC this is acceptable at most restaurants and traveling on other island trips staying at Ritz, Four Seasons, St. Regis, never a problem. He was not allowed in to any restauarant!!! The poor guy had to wear his jeans from the plane ride all week. Bermuda shorts definitely look nicer then jeans, this makes no sense. Not to mention that there were people in jeans and sandals dressed like total slobs walking around, but bermuda shorts are not okay? Regardless, had they clearly listed this on the website it wouldn't have been an issue, but it is not made clear, so it was a huge issue for him.

To summarize, we had a great vacation, how could you not coming from snow and ice in NYC? We were overall very happy with the resort and would reccommend to others just disclosing the few negatives to be aware of. Enjoy!

1  Thank jtomnyc