“ok 3 to 3.5 star not a 5 star” 3 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“ok 3 to 3.5 star not a 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

My husband and I spent 8 days in Jamaica. 6 of the 8 days were in Negril. 3 days on the Cliffs and 3 days on the 7 mile beach. our time in Negril was wonderful. We spent the final 2 days at Secrets so we would not have such a far trip to the Monteego Bay airport on our day of departure.
We arrived by taxi and were nicely greeted with cold drinks our room wasn't ready so we had some lunch and tried to find a spot by the pool or beach but not one chair was avaliable. The drinks were great and the beer was cold and the bar service was great.
We were dissaponted in the food. We ate at the french restaurant it was ok the wine was terrible. The buffet was ok but not plentiful. We have stayed a 5 star resorts and the food and service was not 5 star at secrets.
The room was nice and clean and bed was comfortable.
In the morning if you were not up by 7am you would not get a chair by the pool or beach that is ridiculous!!!
We had purchased some travel vouchers for transportation to the airport to find out only you had to book them the day before and we were not able to use our vouchers and had to pay an additional 40$ US for a cab they said they had no airport shuttle service.
The one thing that really bothered us was the spa and wine vouchers. The claim you get 100$ spa voucher and a 40$ wine voucher but they are all split up into 10$ coupons. False advertising another money grab.
I'm a very big runner. 2 treadmills and no path or even loop around the resort to run.
The resort was very beautiful. The pools were clean, the bar staff was great and friendly, the food was ok. For the money I would be heading up the road to Negril for a nicer beach, better food, better entertainment, nicer people, for less money and a better time.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to have oceanview.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chocolatecharlie33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Highland, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

My wife and I along with two other couples traveled to Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay Jamaica. We had previously traveled to a Secrets in Riveria Miya in Mexico and loved it which made use go to the Scerets in Jamaica. All of us arrived at the airport and were getting ready to bored our bus to the hotel when immediatley we were asked for money because our bags were taken from us and moved one hundre yards to the bus. We then sat on the bus and two of the males from our group were pulled from their wifes and forced to sit next to the driver. During the ride the driver tried to sell the two drugs and after they declined he became pushy because they were not trying to buy things from him. After a scary ride to the hotel we were escorted inside and told to go sit in a group so we could check in. The front desk worker started off and asked if we wanted to upgrade but at no point state what the upgrade would consist of or any benefits of doing the upgrade. Then then stated that only one room was ready and handed them the keys. They at no point tried to show use where our room was at andthey made us take our own luggage to the rooms. We were never shown where anything in the room was or how things worked. For one example there was a box where you good put dirty dishes from room service but if you did not know it was there you would not know how to use it. We went to to lunch everyday and lunch service was horrible. Lunch service was slow and food was not that good. I would say that dinner service was always good and most of the dinner meals were tasty. There was a jerk chicken cart that was on the property. The jerk chicken was good but you had to search for the cart because they did not come to you. The rooms were a good size and our rooms had great views. Nightly entertainment each night was good but durng the day you had to seek out things to do. The beach looked great but if you went in the water your feet were tore up by the rock covered bottom. The worst thing on the trip was trying to get a chair near the pool or on the beach. The hotel was at full capacity but they were not able to provide enough seating for paying guests. My wife and I had to get up each morning and reserve seats before 8am each day. Room service was a joke. I tried calling room service around 9pm for over twenty minutes without getting an answer. I then called the front desk and explained that no one was answering and all i wanted was water. The advised me room service was busy and I should deal with it and go get the water my self. I was shocked and figured spending thousands of dollars entiled me to a water but I was wrong. The maids were spot on and kept the rooms clean but it took a act of God to get your fridge restocked. Almost every employee was rude and expected a large tip no matter was the service. During the day you had to get your own drinks because you could never find a server. The beds were very comfy and I slept good the whole trip. I would not recommend this to a friend. I would tell them to go to another country or use another chain.

Room Tip: Call for amenities provided for package.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TrooperEckrich
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 1 week at the end of Feb/early March.
We had the most amazing time! I mean there were some fault, but the positives outweighed them completely. Plus we were on holiday…the weather was amazing and the cocktails were flowing so we didn’t let small things get us down!
The rooms were amazing. Beautiful. We loved the room service hatch, was nice to have that privacy, if you had just gotten out of the shower etc… and didn’t want people in your room, great idea.
We didn’t have any issues with our minibar being refilled whatsoever, it was done every day without fail, as well as the maid service and the turndown service (which we loved!...made it so nice and relaxing coming back to your room with the nice lights on and the music on low…I felt like a child again, with my bed being made for me  )
The restuarants…were fine. Unfortunatley, we never made it to the Himitzu. We had a reservation, but then got side tracked by the beach party food, and then wasn’t able to get a reservation again. Our favourate was Portobello…the itallian. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t amazing! But hey, we’re not in Italy…we are in Jamaica, and the food was fine.
We also loved the Breakfast Menu…that was the biggest breakfast buffet I have ever seen!! The omletes were great.
One thing I do challenge any of you to do…is finish a glass of iced water!! Its impossible…they refill after one sip!!! HAHAHA!
My leave favourate was the French Restaurant. I ordered fishcake for my starter, and I kid you not…it was a chicken burger. It was n a fishcake no matter what the menu said…it was chicken!! Very strange. The rest of the food in their wasn’t great…but again, we were not in france!
Nice touch with the foot at the beach…Jerky chicken man…Burgerman…and Pizza Man  Not very healthy beach food, but you’re on holiday so it doesn’t matter!
We loved the swim up pool bar…perfect way to end the day before getting ready go out in the evenings. It was always full of fun friendly people around at this time.
One disapointment really…. No appletini for the whole week! My favourite drink, and they had no apple liquor… I was little bit devastated about this…but soon got over it once I tasted the Jamaican smile, bob marley, cosmo’s etc etc etc….
Gift shops typically overpriced…we got our souveniers from the airport.
Receptionist staff not too friendly once they have checked you in…don’t even look up when people walk past…but I suppose they don’t need to work for tips?

Would go back in an instant and would recommened this to anyone…probably young-middle ages couples who need to get away from family life for a week or so 
Most memorable staff were…Godfrey at the piano/reception bar, Alvin at the Piano Bar, Stacey-Ann at the poolside grill, Carisha at Portobello

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Burgerelli
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

One of the best vacations ever at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay. With their all inclusiveness, never had to worry about bringing cash or anything else along. Hotel room was exceptional, all staff from front desk, wait staff, bartenders, bell boys, security, etc were wonderful and made our trip fabulous. Quiet even though lots going on. Best of all no one walking around texting, phoning or emailing. Great relaxing vacation. We golfed too! This is definitely a 5 star vacation.

1 Thank Jano006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Heading back on our flight and already missing the sun. We were a little apprenhensive with some of the reviews but were assured by our travel agent that this was the place to go in Jamaica. We were travelling with our besties so we were confident we could handle any negatives that came our way.
Check in: We had booked at St. James and upon arrival were escorted to their lounge for drinks while they checked on our room. We arrived at noon so our room was not yet available which was expected because check-in wasn't until 3. I guess you could count that as a negative if you are an unreasonable person! We had lunch and drinks and when we checked back our room was ready at Wild Orchid only 2 down from the couple we had come with. So far so good.
The room: Fantastic view and fantastic bed with plenty of pillows. The bathroom is open to the rest of the room so if you are a newly wed and not comfortable with your spouse it might be an issue for you. We are working on our 10th year of wedded bliss so we could have cared less. There is a book we read to our daughter when she was potty training called "Everybody poops". Anyone with negativity with aspect of the room should read it! The mini bar was well stocked daily and we made sure to tip the the first day to set the tone for the trip. Shower was very refreshing and the dual sinks allowed us to get ready concurrently.
The food: Room service has few choices and was not up to the quality of the restaurants but came very quickly! The buffet was outstanding for breakfast and lunch. Tons of variety. Try the crepes and omelettes. Jerky cart was AWESOME! The reviews are right on with this one. Bordeaux was our favorite and had great service and the Hibachi place is a must but you need to sit at one of the hibachi tables to enhance your experience. Portofino could have been skipped. Blue mountain was just ok.
Drinks: Lots of variety for mixed drinks including high end labels (grey goose, sapphire). There are only 2 beer choices but who really cares? It all tastes the same after your 3rd one! The bartenders were definitely a highlight with their great personalities. Look for Godfrey, Camilla or Everett in the Orchid lobby bar. Ask for a lemon drop shot and you'll be on your way to a GREAT day! Anthony also stood out at the swim up bar.
Activities/Pool/Beach: Our main purpose on this trip was relaxation. We did go snorkeling and it was exhilirating. They ran out of gear so the guides borrowed their personal gear to some of the guests. Most of the time we just hung out by the pool/beach. I found the pool temp to be the perfect temperature. The beach is not that expansive but was sufficient for our needs. You do need to reserve your chairs between 5:30 and 6:00am to gurantee shade. The 4 of us took turns so its really not a big of deal. The gaming lounge doesn't need to be there. Go to Vegas if you really want to gamble! The exercise room was pleasantly suprising with 2 treadmills, 3 elipiticals, 3 bikes, free weights, and a variety of circuit training equipment.
Overall: This is a GREAT resort. Yes there are some minor issues that will arise. The outdoor showers worked sporadically, they ran out of bacon, there was duct tape holding up some posters in the elevator. But if those are your complaints and it will ruin your trip, I don't think you would be happy staying anywhere! Secrets in Jamaica...respect mon!

Room Tip: Book at St James and hope to bumped to Wild Orchid
4 Thank menfalls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

Me and my partner visited SWO for 2 weeks over New Years. I had found the resort online a few months previous and couldn't wait to go there. I had done lots of research on hotels prior to picking SWO and I don't think I could have made a better choice!!! Firstly, I've stayed in lots of 5* resorts and so I have standards. I honestly couldn't find anything to moan about with this resort!
Upon arrival we were promptly seen to our room which was on the 3rd floor right at the front overlooking the sea. I think the resort is laid out well so we were close to everything, the beach, the shops, the pool etc. Some reviews on here the people have complained about the leaky showers or Mosquitos in the rooms! My partner usually gets bit bad when we are away and he got bit twice the whole time! And our shower was fine!!
We ordered room service every single day and never waited longer than about 15 mins for food although they always warned could be upto 30 min wait! Although the room service menu wasn't huge it was fine for snacking between meals.
Me and my partner LOVE our food and my partner does sometimes complain in restaurants. We were really impressed with all the restaurants though, especially the Italian. I think for an all inclusive the food was beautiful. No complaints at all. I particually like the way you don't need to make reservations. It was another thing people was complaining about in reviews but we liked the way we could put our names down, pop to the bar for a drink and by that time our table was ready. We never waited longer than 15 mins for a table!
The beach is just perfect. We never had a problem getting chairs by the pool or on the beach (we were up everyday by 8). The beach is immaculately clean every day and although the water was abit rocky in parts you just need to walk up a few yards to swim.
The staff at this resort (except for the guy at the coffee place) will bend over backwards to accommodate you. They are relaxed...true. But not too relaxed to help. They were all so friendly!!!
We
We met some wonderful couples at this resort, and this holiday was everything I'd hoped for!!! I can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Lmsmith22
ann arbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

This place is magnificent, from the checking in, Dexter, Nordia, you guys rock! And your supervisor Karen, pays extra attention to your requests like finding or booking transportation outside the resort.

The rooms were great!! Ocean view through out and the cleaning lady made sure clean towels are in place.

The food was good! , had several options and the setting or the ambiance was cool.

The beach was not dirty! And the hot tub and the pools were regularly checked.

My stay was splendid. The people were all friendly and I would say YA MAN!!

I recommend this place any time and day to any one

Room Tip: TALK TO KAREN !! or just pick the top floor !
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Royalton White Sands Resort
Royalton White Sands Resort
#15 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,825 reviews

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!