“The most friendly and accomodating staff ever!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rochester, New York
“The most friendly and accomodating staff ever!”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Great place to relax and do nothing (hang at the pools, or beach). The staff is unbelievibly friendly! Anything you want "no problem mon". The spa was fantistic-had a great massage. The food was surprisingly good for an all inclusive. If you're an ocean lover like me you'll be dissapointed with the beach and lack of waves, but, i still managed to get in some watersking and kayaking.

Room Tip: ask for a 1st floor water front room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,383)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Greenville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Traveled with a group of 11 ladies for my 40th birthday celebration and it could not have been a better experience. The staff was exceptionally gracious and with each request ~~ "it's a pleasure" or "no problem". The resort was very clean and beautiful. We did have cold food on one occasion but when you are in paradise one bad meal is almost not worth the mention. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone. Secrets offers a wonderful fun party atmosphere poolside but can also be beautifuly romantic with private seclusion at the same time, with lots of candle light at dinners and such. The evening were very quiet, everyone enjoying the beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BuffyJo40
Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My wife and I just returned from a friend's wedding at Wild Orchid. We are newly weds who honeymooned in Mexico, but my travel agent told me not to compare the two resorts since they are completely different countries, so I went into it with an open mind.

First upon arrival we were harassed by guys carrying our bags at the airport for a tip. They rolled the bags maybe 200 feet and wouldn't let us board our transport before tipping. This had no bearing on the resort, but just a prelude of what was to come.

Upon arriving at the resort, after being asked for tips from the bus driver, we were escorted into a nicely furnished lobby. However, there was no check-in desk area so we were all confused as to how we were supposed to check in. There were other guests there who said they'd been waiting 20 minutes to check in as well. After finally getting checked in we were just pointed in the general direction of our room. So we found our room on our own and waited on our bags, which eventually were brought to us within 15 minutes or so.

The wife and I are hungry now, so we changed into pool clothes and head to Oceana, which sits over the main pool. After standing at the hostess area for about 10 minutes, someone finally comes and tells us that the restaurant is closed for a private function and the only place open for food at 4pm is on the St. James side of the resort. So we go over there to eat. The menu only had about 5 choices of entree, the service was slow, and the food wasn't that great.

This was par for the course with regards to the food and restaurants. Bar service was often hit and miss. Some servers would walk around the pool and take drink orders, while others would just walk around, look at you, and take your empty glass without asking if you wanted anything else. Often times the bartenders would hover around after serving you a drink expecting a tip. I can understand a bartender expecting a tip, but the resort states that tips and gratuities were already included, so I found it rude that the bartenders were expecting tips when the place is advertised as not needing tips.

The grounds were all nice and well kept. The resort is new so much of the plantings are in their infancy. The beaches also provided breath taking views, but were very, very rocky so unless you wore sandals in the water your feet were hurting.

I was also disappointed in how the actual resort is assembled. It was as if the people who constructed the resort were in a hurry and cut multiple corners. The caulking in my shower was done very poorly, which also led to leaks into the bathroom stall. Also, I used the bathroom in the preferred club area after the wedding, and the entire door frame in the restroom was unfinished. I could see unstained wood and shims used to level the door. It was like the construction guys said "well, there's a door there now so we're done."

Overall, I feel the place was overpriced. The cost was comparable to what we paid for our honeymoon in Mexico, but the service and amenities were far worse. The food was bland, room service menu was absolutely pathetic, and overall service was just not what is advertised.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dgfarr
London, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2011

After reading almost all the reviews on Trip Advisor & Facebook, we were a little worried to come to this resort. We decided on our way to the resort that we would have zero expectations. Please do not read the bad reviews. This place is fantastic!

My Husband & I stayed at SWO form Jan 9 to 16. We stayed on the preferred SWO, 3rd floor. The room looks exactly like the pictures. Our room was always clean & had no problems with the floor getting wet from the shower.

We ate all almost all the restaurants. Portofino, Bordeaux, Oceana, Himitsu, Seaside Grill & World Cafe. We had breakfast everyday at the World Cafe. They have a large selection, something for everyone.
Portofino - I love Italian food, so my expectations of Italian food in Jamaica wasn’t very good. We were very impressed. We had the Calamari for appetizer, Chicken parm & the Lamb for entrée. For desert the Tiramisu (very very good) & the Rocatta cake.
Bordeaux - Also very good & the french onion soup was fantastic.
Oceana- We at there 3 times. The mussels & scallops on the appetizer buffet are to die for. I have only had mussels a few times prior to this trip and didn’t enjoy them. I have never had mussels that tasted this good. We also ate the grey snapper & the surf & turf, which was also fantastic. Come back the next day for lunch and had the mussels again.
Hitmitsu - We ate at both the hibachi and the asian sit down. We had all the hot appetizers at the asian restaurant. They were all very very good & the shrimp pad thai for entree also fantastic. The hibachi was fun Ricardo was our chef, he was very entertaining.

We spent the mornings on WO preferred side. When the water is calm snorkeling is fantastic. We saw many fish including puffer fish. The preferred side is definitely more tame. If you looking to do more activities & party the SWO main pool is the place to be. As for the beach the water is perfectly clear but there are a lot of sharp shells and rocks on the beach & in the water. This didn’t bother us. I would definitely bring water shoes. If your into shell picking there are a lot of good finds on the beach.

A lot of people complained that the pools were not heated. Some are not. The Preferred swim out pool is not heated as well as the main WO activity pool, but the preferred main pool & WO swim up bar pool are heated. Once your in the non heated pool for a few minutes you get used to it.

We were able to enjoy a lot of the water sport activities. We went out on the kayak & hobby cat twice. We did the swim-out snorkel tour that is at 1:50 pm everyday. It was good, we even got to see a lion fish. This was all free. We also did the paid snorkel tour. It was awesome! It was just the two of us, the guide & the guy who drove the boat. They took 8 min out, right near Margaritaville. It was awesome, we were able to see so many different fish and a beautiful coral reef. It was only $35/each. Totally worth it!

On our last full day the weather wasn’t the greatest so we decided to venture off and do the zip lining with Chukka Tours. We really enjoyed it. If you are one to normally get bitten buy mosquitoes, I would recommend bring bug spray.

This also answers your questions about mosquitoes. Mosquitoes love me, I only received 3 bites while being on the resort. Which is really good for me.

A lot of people also complained about the check in service. We had no problem what so ever, but we did stay on the preferred side.

I had to think hard to think of a complaint. If you could even call these complaints. At breakfast sometimes it was hard to find ketchup. One day I was unable to get a towel at the WO main pool, I was told that I needed to get it on the preferred side. The beds were to soft.
There were so many other things that were fantastic & I could go on and on. All in all this is a fantastic resort & are planning on returning. I really think that some people just have ridiculous standards & like to complain.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2-many-skittles
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We traveled to SWO from March 27th to April 3rd. "One week was not enough!" This was our third trip to Jamaica so we knew what to expect. We arrived on time at 12pm to the MBJ airport and immigration had a 30 minute wait, nothing crazy. We met our private transfer and off to the resort we went. (FYI it is about a $50 difference between taking the bus or having a private car, it can save you ½-1 hour to hire a car.) The driver pointed out the hip strip and some other hot spots in Montego Bay during our 15 minute ride to the resort. Once we arrived at the grounds the bellman took our bags from the card to the preferred building for check in. We immediately sat down with the concierge and were presented with a cool cloth and beverage of our choice while we checked in. Since we arrived 2.5 hours before check in our room was not ready, no big deal we were prepared for this by having bathing suits in our carry on. We simply hit the bar and headed to the beach. Around 3:15 I went to get the keys to our room which was ready and the bellman Jeffery escorted us to our room 1101 on the 1st floor overlooking the bay on the quit side of the building. Jeffery spent a couple of minutes walking us through the room so we would know where everything was. (He was helpful) The room was immaculate and had a great view of the bay and mountains. The patio was private so we could enjoy breakfast without being bothered. The open concept bathroom was not a surprise since we researched the resort prior to going and knew what they were all about. We received housekeeping and turndown service with towel art each day which was a nice touch. We left a note for the mini bar attendant to stock us up with red stripe light and water, boy did he. We had 12 beers and 12 bottles of water, did I mention the bottle of Appleton rum and Champaign? All the staff we encountered were very nice and would go out of their way to please if you needed something. O’Brian from the preferred pool/beach area hustled to get back to you ASAP with your drinks. He had to go to the lobby bar one day for bloody Mary’s; if I knew the close bar was out I would have ordered something else to keep him from going that far! (They were a little understaffed in this area but the bar is 20 feet away, if you need another drink get it yourself) Michael from the preferred beach bar was always helpful in selecting a new drink or quickly filling our beers. The food across the resort was decent; room service for breakfast was fantastic. The Italian had some great dishes, the French was so-so, the Japanese Teppanyaki table was fun, Blue Mountain had some good Jerk dishes and the steak house was ok. We did not try the Mexican or Buffet restaurant. The service at the restaurants was really good; we also never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a table. Room service always came fast with hot food and cold drinks. If the privacy light was on they would put the food in the box and give a light knock on the door so we knew it was delivered. The resort also had some other cool features like a dedicated coffee bar, slot machine casino and a nightly bus to Margaretville on the hip strip. The glass bottom boat tour was also pretty cool, just make sure to arrange with the captain to have some beer on board. We spent most of our days split between the beach and the pool with a couple of hours of volleyball mixed in. The entertainment staff was a lot of fun, they had many activity’s going on each day to keep people occupied from poker on the pool deck, bad mitten, freebie golf, bocce, pool volleyball, aerobics classes and more. (Every night you would get a schedule of the next day’s activities) The nightly entertainment was on par with other all-inclusive resorts we have visited. The guest talent show on Wednesday was pretty cool; the winner won 4 free nights on a return visit. The house reggae band was really good and kept everyone dancing. They also have a steel drum band that comes in (don’t miss this, they are awesome!) I’m glad we brought a large amount of small bills for tips, the staff work very hard and deserve a little something for going above and beyond for all of us lucky enough to be on vacation. Remember, Respect goes a long way when in Jamaica so keep that in mind when dealing with the staff or the local people. Jamaica see you next March!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hoboken07
Westchester NY
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Best room I've ever stayed in, (we did stay in the prefered club). Room had everything and more. Service was so so, the bartenders were a little on the slow side. Food was good, place was beautifull. Not recommend for singles but definitely for couples. Nightly entertainment was good. Pool and beach are right on top of each other which I love.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank manutd3
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My husband and I spent 8 days in Jamaica. 6 of the 8 days were in Negril. 3 days on the Cliffs and 3 days on the 7 mile beach. our time in Negril was wonderful. We spent the final 2 days at Secrets so we would not have such a far trip to the Monteego Bay airport on our day of departure.
We arrived by taxi and were nicely greeted with cold drinks our room wasn't ready so we had some lunch and tried to find a spot by the pool or beach but not one chair was avaliable. The drinks were great and the beer was cold and the bar service was great.
We were dissaponted in the food. We ate at the french restaurant it was ok the wine was terrible. The buffet was ok but not plentiful. We have stayed a 5 star resorts and the food and service was not 5 star at secrets.
The room was nice and clean and bed was comfortable.
In the morning if you were not up by 7am you would not get a chair by the pool or beach that is ridiculous!!!
We had purchased some travel vouchers for transportation to the airport to find out only you had to book them the day before and we were not able to use our vouchers and had to pay an additional 40$ US for a cab they said they had no airport shuttle service.
The one thing that really bothered us was the spa and wine vouchers. The claim you get 100$ spa voucher and a 40$ wine voucher but they are all split up into 10$ coupons. False advertising another money grab.
I'm a very big runner. 2 treadmills and no path or even loop around the resort to run.
The resort was very beautiful. The pools were clean, the bar staff was great and friendly, the food was ok. For the money I would be heading up the road to Negril for a nicer beach, better food, better entertainment, nicer people, for less money and a better time.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to have oceanview.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple