“Most amazing resort we have visited yet!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My husband and I just returned from our 11 day wedding anniversary stay at the Preferred Club(PC) in SWO. We booked this location on the advice of our travel agent who had stayed at SWO just a few months ago (she is going back in May).

First let me start with the welcome and check-in (we arrived around 3:00PM). We were greeted at the front entrance of SWO by a person that took our bags to the PC. Upon our arrival, we were given cold towels to freshen up and cold drinks (Red Stripe for my husband and champagne for me). Our check-in included details on our anniversary champagne breakfast (in our room) and fresh flowers for our anniversary - WOW! We were immediately escorted to our room (4th floor facing the sunset on the ocean) and were given details on the available amenities including the motion sensors to turn on the lights at night, our privacy light (no door hangers here!) and dumb waiter to return dishes without being bothered. The room was spacious, gorgeously decorated, clean and best of all COLD. The bed was very comfortable and full of pillows. Our mini-bar was stocked daily with cold beers, water and sodas. The bathroom was open to the rest of the room, but there is a curtain that can be closed for privacy if you need it.

Second was the service. There wasn't a single day during our 11 day stay that someone (including the maintenance people) didn't stop to ask us if we were having a good time and if our stay was going well. Our service in the PC lounge was the best thanks to Brian. We had great drink service by the PC SWO pool by Danielle, Kerry Ann, Camailla and O'Brian. We always had fresh towels thanks to Desworth and great conversations with Carl (thanks for bringing us snorkeling before your shift!). Our room was immaculate thanks to Shermain! Finally, thanks to Hillary who brought our wonderful champagne breakfast on the morning of our anniversary and shared stories about her grandparents.

Third, was the food and drinks. We enjoyed breakfast most mornings at the World Cafe with mimosas, made to order omelets and fresh fruit. Make sure to try the "special coffee". We also had lunch and dinners at Oceana, El Patio (Italian and Mexican night), Blue Mountain and Portofino. Our dinner at Portofino was my favorite (thanks to the great food and our new friends Pat and Nick), but I can't leave out surf and turf night (Friday's) at the World Cafe. Drinks in the PC were generously poured and refilled in nice glasses with only top shelf (Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, etc). The red house wine was OK.

Finally, was the fun and entertainment. Anyone that says this resort doesn't have a night life must be sleeping! Most nights we enjoyed cocktails and dancing to great Jamaican music outside the piano bar, but you shouldn't miss the Silver Birds Steel Orchestra (Monday) inside the showtime theater. There was lots of daytime activities for those that choose to be more active (yoga, aquacise, dance classes and power walks). We also completed our diving certification at the resort with Blane (you are the best!). After the certification, we went diving with Shakat and he brought us to the Spanish anchor (a must see). We also were able to dive through coral to see lots of colorful fish and a lion fish. Finally, we were able to experience a blow fish up close and personal. Blane was able to get it to puff up so we could "pet" it - it was an amazing experience.

Sorry for the long review, but I wanted to make sure you got a flavor for the resort. Being there 11 days, we were able to see the resort "turn over" including a large corporate event that arrived on the last Wednesday of our stay. While there were more people in the World Cafe in the morning, we were always able to retreat to the PC for food and drinks (regardless of time of day). We have been to many 5-star resorts, but this is the best we have ever experienced!

Room Tip: Definitely book in the Preferred Club!
1  Thank GATTSMinnesota

Reviewed 17 April 2011

This was my first ever trip to Jamaica and it was great the hotel staff was friendly, each time you pass any staff member on the property you were greated with a warm smile or a friendly hell.The jerk chicken was the best, the pool was great , The rooms were well kept only thing the beds are too soft . All in all the hotel is prefect top points to each and every staff member who make the Secrets Hotel what it is great job.

Room Tip: Each room has its own view
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We stayed in the preferred club at Secret Wild Orchid. I do not have one complaint. The service and friendliness of the staff was like nothing I have ever encountered. Everyone seemed to enjoy their jobs. Every staff member that would pass us would greet us. The food at the Italian restaurant was WONDERFUL. The drinks were wonderful and always served quickly. The room service was awesome, and our room was always immaculate. And our wet bar was always filled, and if we were there when he stopped by to fill it, he asked us what we would prefer it be filled with.
The bartenders at the piano bar were so friendly and greeted us every night. The pools were very clean and the beaches were well groomed and they had staff out picking up and moving rocks out of the water to prevent too many rocks from being in the water. But their were plenty of spots that were rock free.
I was soo impressed with everyone on the staff and also the resort in general. In reading some of the other poor rated reviews, I am wondering if they stayed at the same resort. The only complaining I ever heard at the resort was the occasional guest complaining to the check in ladies about ridiculous complaints and then asking for free days credit in the future??? so makes you wonder... those poor ladies......
It is a wonderful resort and 5+ resort for sure.

Room Tip: Definately book preferred club
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank riavv
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We were married at and spent two weeks at Wild Orchid. First week in the regular Wild Orchid junior suite and the 2nd week at the Wild Orchid Preferred junior suite. I want to be very clear we were blown away how great this resort was we give them a 98%. My issues are VERY minor, but they were the only reason I couldn't give a 100%. I would recommend this resort to everyone.

We had 21 people in our group, every single person said the either Wild Orchid was either the very best, or tied with the best resort they have ever been to.

GETTING TO THE RESORT: don't let the red hat guys at the airport touch your luggage, they basically hold your luggage for ransom until you give them a tip that they feel is acceptable (and they only take your bags about 60m/100ft). Move your own bags.

WEDDING: We booked our wedding here, at the beginning we were really nervous about giving up control of the wedding planning to someone we had never met. But it turned out fantastic in the end. During the planning there were some communication issues, turns out that that there were some internet server issues at Wild Orchid. Lisa-Marie, Sheerene, and Sade in the Weddings dept. were fantastic, we were so happy with our wedding we went back to thanks them multiple times. BTW Rev. Gordon was great and made us feel so special. He took a couple hours of his own time to get to know us a couple days before the wedding (none of which he was required to do, nor did we expect it). Rev Gordon was very realistic and told us to expect only about 90% of what we arranged for to work out to to unavoidable issues, but we hit 99.8% Our advise, don't do what we did, just relax, it really will work out. Within 5 min of meeting the wedding ladies we were calm and confident in their abilities. If you are getting married get the ultimate package... it is fantastic. But add on the steel drum band, it is really worth it. Also the pictures and DVD taken through the resort are phenomenal.

Issues: The only area of improvement is the the website still illustrates purple orchids as an example for tropical flowers (included in the ultimate wedding package). Due to decreased availability, orchids are only available at an additional cost, and the only flowers included are daisies and carnations. When we left the website wedding guide was still advertising the orchids/tropical flowers, hope that they have changed it now.

WILD ORCHID JUNIOR SUITE ROOM: Room was great, view was great. Bed is probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on away from home. Our room was made up very fancy our the night prior to the wedding and the wedding night (I'm not going to ruin the surprise).

Issues:
1. Housekeeping only came once every 2 days and did not mop the floor (quite dirty). I know I could have called the front desk to have them come, but should I have to? We were very attentive to whether our privacy light was on.
2. Check in took almost one hour, even though all 3 desks were functioning.
3. It would have been nice to have either been told or have a guide as to how to use the room ex. what the secrets box is for, how to use the A/C panel, etc.
4. Air conditioning control did not function right (and did not function right in the majority of the rooms of our group)
5. Surround sound control did not function (only functioned in 1 out of the 11 rooms in our group)
6. When housekeeping was called they only actually showed up 1 out 3 times.

WILD ORCHID PREFERRED JUNIOR SUITE: Room was great, but the room itself not worth the increased cost from the regular wild orchid. What was worth the extra money was the staff. At the front desk Peta-Ann and Shanique (I hope I spelled her name right) went so far above and beyond expectation. They were so polite and really cared that you were having a great time. We will really miss them, I wish we could have taken them home with us. Garfield (bellboy) was awesome, talked with him for a while. Not only was he a great help and a great person, he believed in the resort and his work so much that he gave us his contact info in order to help show the resort to prospective vacationers looking at wild orchid. He said "I will even take pictures of the resort and email it to them and many of the pictures online don't do this resort justice". In my opinion Garfield should not be a bellboy, he should be managing resort promotions. Niron the minibar guy was very friendly, always made us smile when he came in the room. He made every effort to make us happy even if it wasn't his job. If someone in another dept made a mistake Niron took it upon himself to fix it, but not to the expected level. His wanted it fixed to 150%. A great guy.

Issues:
1. lots of ants and mosquitoes in the rooms even though the patio doors were never opened. I literally mean thousands of ants. The housekeepers called them sugar ants. We had 2 different types of ants, and each night about 10-15 mosquitoes in our room. They were everywhere, tables, vanity, bed, dresser, and in our luggage After multiple sprayings the ants were down to 10's-100's. The staff and management were very concerned and did their best to address the situation. Spraying got rid of mosquitoes completely, but it seemed as if the ants enter the room through the secrets box and look for anything sweet in the room. I am still covered in bites. While some insects are expected in tropical climates, but when my wife lifts her purse and the table is swarming with ants, this is a problem. There were no ants or mosquitoes at the regular wild orchid rooms and we were on the same floor in both buildings.
2. Housekeepers were fantastic compared to the the normal Wild Orchid, they were in twice a day, everyday. But they did not wipe counter tops even though they were very aware of the ant issues and this the where ants were being found. Even when we had the privacy light on, the housekeepers would keep knocking. Even when they tried to open the door and the lock was on they still kept knocking until someone answered to door (was woken up 4 times).

RESTAURANTS: I found all the food was great in all restaurants. The service was exceptional as well. My personal favorites the Portifino and Himitsu. But also do not miss mexican or surf and turf night at the World Cafe. Our waiter for our Romantic Dinner was Gavin, I have never seen a person in my life work so hard to make 2 people happy.

Issues: 1. Information in the Sundial (daily paper giving restaurants and other info) was not accurate quite often. Ex. 3 times we walked to Seaside restaurants as the Sundial said it was open. Everytime it was closed.
2. The resort said that they may close restaurants for supper at times of low hotel occupancy. We were told several times by several front desk staff that both St. James, St. James Preferred, Wild Orchid, and Wild Orchid Preferred were all running at full capacity. Yet in 14 days Seaside was not open for supper once, Oceana was only open 3 times (that I noticed). However a couple of times they were booked for private functions. Instead we were told that there was a 1.5 hour wait for any other sit down restaurant (other than the buffet). I wish that at least either Oceana or Seaside were open but serving both restaurants menus. Seaside has been our favorite restaurant at any amRESORTS resort.
3. Too often restaurants were running out of certain foods, Ex. Lamb in Bordeaux, Duck in Bordeaux, Lamb on our Romantic dinner, nachos for room service, Calamari at Seaside, Club Sandwiches at Seaside

Thanks so much everyone at Wild Orchid, especially Lisa-Marie, Sheerene, Sade, Peta-Ann, Shanique, Garfield, Gavin, Niron. We WILL be seeing you again soon.

6  Thank dunkerooo
Reviewed 16 April 2011

The purpose of our trip was to do absolutely nothing. We had everything we expected. The service was excellent, the rooms were clean and the food and drink were satisfactory. Our room had a magnificent view and there was entertainment when we wanted it. Two items that should be corrected if possible: The workers made it obvious they expected tips. I dont mind tipping, but when its included, we should not feel compelled. The beach is rocky and beach shoes are required to walk in the water unless you have tough feet. Other than that, WONDERFUL and I would visit again.

Reviewed 16 April 2011

Good getaway, pool bar and pool staff were attentive
Candlelite dinner on beach was worth the extra $
One issue was trouble with room air conditioner all week, it was never fixed
Bellboys were happy especially Hopeton
Will come back!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Secrets Montego Bay, recently hosted our Corporate group of about 70 persons for three nights. Overall rating - 10. Here's why...
Staff: From the bell staff to wait staff to life guards and housekeeping, we were treated graciously and respectfully. We rate your service level off-the-charts.
Food: Even the most finicky eaters were impressed. And throughout the event, our guests raved about the buffets – both private and communal. The restaurants received rave reviews as well, with quality and service exceeding all expectations.
Property: What a gem. Wild Orchid affords quick access to everything the property has to offer and unlike some other massive resorts at which we’ve hosted events, no one complained that they couldn’t find their room or were confused about the location of any event.

Great venue.

Superb assistance from the Tourism Bureau. They rock.

AMSTAR was amazing. This DMC was responsible for our ground transfers to and from the airport and for excursions. They didn't miss a beat and their staff is equally impressive.

Don't take my word...go see this beauty for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business