“AMAZING TRIP AT ANOTHER SECRETS PROPERTY”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We Love Secerts Resorts and The Secrets Wild Orchid was no exception. I was not sure what to expect because I have never stayed on the Island of Jamaica for any lenght of time, only stopped at the port from a cruise ship. I took a corportare Incentive group and everybody LOVED it. All the employees are so Happy, act like they love their jobs which makes the atmosphere on the resort so great!, Beautiful rooms, service , food fantastic, we loved the coffee bar because of course the Blue Mountain coffee is the BEST !!! Try the iced coffees, YUMMY !!!! beach water was so warm, we felt safe everywhere we went, airport was pretty easy, i did see some long lines at US airways and continental so please allow yourself enough time at airport. The airport is only 20 mins from the Secrets resort. Wild Orchid side has more action, more centrally located, The St james side , rooms are identical just seems to be a little quieter, closer to the Spa and fitness center but further from the resturants. The Jerk Chicken cart is out by the pool area from Noon to 2pm and is so good !!! We had the very best trip!! We had the best time ever ! Groups, Honeymooners , adults in general, for a good time This is the place. And by the way Marlon the bellman is HOT!! and they are so efficient !

Room Tip: all rooms are good, St James side is quieter !
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank sherry s

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We have traveled to quite a few all-inclusive resorts over the years. Probably around 8 different places in Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Punta Cana, three different areas of Cuba and most recently Jamaica. That being said, Secrets Wild Orchid was very good. Check in was a breeze. A very nice lobby that allowed you to sit at a comfortable desk to check in. Rooms were also nice with excellent beds. I agree with what most people say; the preferred club didn't seem to hold much value with the standard rooms being almost the same with some very minor perks. The ocean was lovely but the beach is man made so don't expect the soft sand. The pool was also nice although a bit too warm at this time of year. There are lots of bars and restaurants plus service to your pool and/or beach lounger. Our favourite restaurants to eat at were the French and the Japanese. For the Japanese place, we reserved for the show twice and ate off the regular menu as well and both options were excellent. One reviewer complained about the lunch options saying that there was only the buffet and the ‘wrap’ place by the pool. However, you also have the pool restaurant at the St James side that has lots of variety including pizza, grilled fish, club sandwiches, calamari and a really good fish sandwich. I would further recommend ordering the fish sandwich and omitting the bun. It was delicious. I really liked the Red Stripe beer but you can also get Heineken by the bottle in all of the indoor bars. All in all, we were very pleased with our choice and would recommend SWO in a heartbeat

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Konkle
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Had a blast with friends in the Secrets Wild Orchid! Absolutely lovely place, where apart fom beautiful scenery, great spacious rooms and endless entertainment, you relax with your soul, thanks to the fabulous staff! They make great effort in making sure you enjoy their country and the hotel where you are staying, from improptu singing during breakfast serving, to amazing dance lessons on the beach. Would like to mention few personally as they really made an impact: Garfield Gunning, Chris Rose and Marlen. And all the lovely girls at the hotel. Thank you for your present of giving us a chance to enjoy your Jamaica! YaMan!

1  Thank anna b
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We recently returned from a three day stay at Secrets. It was a pretty nice place and we had a good relaxing time, but I was less than overwhelmed. Here's the breakdown:

Rooms: The rooms were very nice, though like many other Caribbean places I've stayed they have way too much of an open concept with regard to the toilets...better be close with your roommates! But in general they were clean and spacious. The tub was very cool (we used both the indoor and outdoor one). The bed was great; very comfortable.

Preferred Club: We stayed in the preferred club. I'm not sure whether I would recommend; I think we got a better view, and the preferred pool at Wild Orchid was definitely less crowded, but the beach is kind of a non-factor over there, it is so small. The "extras" in the room definitely aren't worth it...I didn't notice much of them at all. Same goes for the food in the lobby. Next time I'd probably pass on the preferred club. I would definitely avoid the swim out rooms in the preferred club...the pool that they open on to was not very nice and I never saw anyone utilizing them.

Check-in: This process was a pain. It took a long time, and we literally had to speak to three different people for three different reasons: one to check us in, one to give us some coupons, and one to give us an internet code. Each one required a wait, and then the time spent speaking with them. Why couldn't one person do all of the above? Good question. I think all told it probably took about 40 minutes for us to check in.

Food: I think the food was generally above average for an all inclusive. We had good meals at the Mexican place (creatively named El Patio), the Jamaican Blue Mountain, and the Japanese Hibachi place. All were very good, and I would be happy eating at them again. The breakfast buffet was ample. Lunch was a bit disappointing...there are very few options at the outdoor places. Basically you get wraps, and wraps, and more wraps. The jerk chicken food cart was good.

Drinks: Abundant. The frozen drinks were a little disappointing...they have the big machines with the frozen mixes in them, and then they basically just dump a shot of rum on top of that, so they don't seem very "freshly made" or mixed together at all...that is definitely something they should consider changing. I didn't like having to always mix up my drinks (first world problem, I know). Red stripe was everywhere and enjoyable.

Pools/Ocean: The pools were pretty good. The preferred club pool was small and not crowded. The main pool at WO was a bit more active; the swim up bar was always crowded and at times rowdy. The main pool at SJ was pretty similar. They were both big and not very crowded except at the swim up. The beaches were a bit disappointing; they are probably only 10 feet deep from water line to the sidewalk. They definitely have a man made feel to them (which I think they are). And they were crowded with recliners, so no real "beach". We stuck by the pool.

Spa: Nice, we had a good massage there and enjoyed it.

Entertainment: Hit or miss...the main theater was indoors and it seemed like not many people took advantage of it. We saw a reggae band play there and it was kind of depressing how few people were in the audience. They also do some live music at a different stage outdoors. I think there was poor communication regarding what was going on where, though. For as big a resort as this is I never felt like most people were in the same place, which made me feel like I might have been missing out on something else (what was everyone else doing?). The piano bar seems to the center of the resort after dinner. never made it to the after hours bar...drinking all day in the sun makes you very tired!

Overall: This was a nice place, but it just felt a little impersonal to me. Maybe it was just the size. All the restaurants are in one block (which gave it a little of a Disney feel). All in all, the food was good, the rooms were luxurious, the pools big, and the weather was perfect. I certainly wouldn't object if someone took me there to stay again, but it's not high on my list of return destinations. For what it's worth, though, I heard from reliable Jamaican sources that WO is considered the best AI in Montego Bay, so if that's your destination, I'd recommend.

3  Thank nycer10
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband, daughter and I visited the Secrets Wild Orchid 3/31-4/7/12. We all had a wonderful time. This was our 5th visit to Jamaica. We have stayed in Negril 3 times (all all-inclusives) and in Ocho Rios once. We would definitely return to this resort. Everything was almost perfect.

The things we liked about this resort:

Room - #2311, Large balcony, view of beach, mountains and sunsets. Nice linens with mini bar stocked daily. Like others have mentioned, the bathroom is not very private. No door and frosted glass in shower and toilet area. You really could not see into those areas. We tested. :) It was a little interesting with traveling with our teenage daughter, but got used to it and it was no big deal. Housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping our room stocked and clean. This room was on the 3rd floor close to an exit door that you could walk out to the beach and pool. Great location for getting to everything.

Pool area was great and we had a wonderful server named "Kamara". She gave us great service and was such a nice young lady. Loved her hat! There is an awesome sound system at the pool and they play lots of Reggae, which we love. The towels are unlimited and you do not need to return them. Floating mattresses for anyone to use in the pool. Never had an issue finding a chair at the pool or beach. Plentiful! Water temperature perfect. Warmer on the swim-up bar side and a little cooler on side close to beach. But refreshing and still comfortable.

Activities - Game room with ping pong, pool, casino and chess. Zumba, Yoga, water aerobics, snorkeling right off the beach, badminton, horseshoes, tennis, crab races (very fun!), oil painting etc. etc. The activities staff did a great job of getting everyone involved. We especially liked "Genius" and "Kimouya". Very friendly and fun to talk to. "Harry" was a hoot at the swim-up bar. We did tip the bartenders and servers, but they didn't expect it. Most did seem appreciative, some indifferent.

Coffee shop - In the promenade. Great coffee and pastries. Had a nice courtyard to sit in and enjoy!

The jerk chicken at the beach was great. A little spicy, just to warn you. Have a drink handy! The Jerk Man will bring it around everyday on a cart and yell "Jerky, Jerky, Jerky!".

Entertainment - every night at an outdoor stage. We especially liked the Steel Drum Band. The house reggae band was very good too. Very talented! Once again, beautiful setting overlooking Montego Bay and the mountains. Piano Bar right next door for beverages. Could use more seating for shows. Many times people had to stand to watch. Usually, not a long wait because everyone came and went. There was a different movie showing every day in either the courtyard in the Promenade or the indoor theatre. All newly released movies.

Restaurants - centrally located in the Promenade except two beach restaurants. We ate at the Himitsu (Japanese) show cooking, Portofino (Italian), Bordeaux (French), El Patio (Mexican) and World Cafe (buffet). Our favorite items were the calamari, chef's salad and brushchetta at the Italian. The surf and turf and chocolate truffles at French. The Tortilla Soup and fajitas were yummy at the Mexican. Marlon at the Japanese has a great singing voice. Like everyone says, the house wine sucks. We still drank it. You will get a $10 off coupon when checking in that you can use to purchase nice bottles of wine. The breakfast buffet has everything you could want. The singing servers have such amazing voices! The greeters and servers were always so friendly and gave great service. Mimosas are offered every morning on your way in. A very nice touch! As far as the dress code, my husband wore dress shorts every night. We were told that you had to have long pants if you sat inside. There is outdoor seating at every restaurant so it was not a problem. One night they let him wear shorts inside. Saw people in t-shirts and gym shorts. Didn't really think that was appropriate for dinner.

Shops are great in the Promenade. Got some souvenirs to bring home. There are 3 jewelry stores, two gift shops, Rum shop, Cigar Shop, ATM, etc. in this area. "Staysie's" has really fun things, is air conditioned and smells so good!

The Barracuda swing bar is a great place to go to hang out. Sports on tv and fun seating and amazing views. Near Preferred club at end of the resort.

Now the need for improvement area:

Check-in - was great. Gave us cool towels and champagne. Greeted us and took luggage. The check-in went as planned until they had us go to another desk (after checking in) to see a "concierge". We had been up since 2 a.m. to catch our flight and just wanted to get to our room. They wanted us to fill out a form that said "vacation club" on it. I said we did not want to be a part of that. The "concierge" got angry and practically threw a coupon book at our daughter to give to us without explaining what they were to be used for. Very nice! Gave a bad first impression of resort.

The food was pretty good at most restaurants. Not the best we have had during our all-inclusive travels but we always found something to eat. There are only a few restaurants open every night, so can get to be repetitious at the end of the week.

There are photographers all over the place that have a business at the resort to sell photos. They are at every corner and every turn. We just said no thank you and they left us alone. I do like to have some professional photos but this got very annoying!!! We did go in to look at some they had taken and didn't buy any and the woman working there seemed very annoyed with us.

I love the convenience of a 15 minute drive from the airport and the amenities of this resort, beautiful setting, safety etc., but did miss the cultural feel we had in Negril or Ocho Rios.

It really is a couples place to go. Our daughter felt like a 3rd wheel sometimes. Everything is set up for couples. I knew this going in, but it was listed as adults-only not couples-only so thought there would be more young people. Especially, since it was Easter week. She still enjoyed herself.

I know I am forgetting important information and wish I would have written down all the great servers names that we had, but this is getting long so I will wrap it up.

My husband and I will likely return here some day. It was a great value and it is a perfect place to just go chill out, hang by the pool and on the beach.

We miss you Secrets Wild Orchid!

Room Tip: Third floor and up have great views. We loved our location which was very close to pool and beach...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bonnies4
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was our first visit to Jamaica and we stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid Preferred Club--had a deluxe swim-up suite. The place is amazing and the people are fantastic. They start spoiling you the minute you arrive. Rooms are clean and comfortable, good variety of food choices. Drink of the day and nightly entertainment is fun. I would highly recommend this place and can't wait to go back again.

2  Thank PAJkh
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This is the second Secrets property we've been to in the last 2 years. Overall, I enjoyed the hotel and the location. It's a beautiful property with a lovely pool area, nice spacious rooms, and plenty of activities. A few aspects were not as great as I expected, based on our last experience at a Secrets in Playa Del Carmen. The food was pretty good, but not great. The French restaurant was my least favorite, and unfortunately they had a tough time accommodating my food allergy. The authentic Jamaican restaurant was the best, and had the most wonderful service. The service, in general, was average to pretty good. I was disappointed with how long room service took (upwards of an hour), based again on my previous experience at the other Secrets property. Also, we often returned to our room to find it hadn't been cleaned (after nearly a whole day out). Details like this make it hard to say that this feels like a luxurious property, but overall it was a lot of fun.

Room Tip: I'd recommend requesting a room that is on a higher floor due to noise
1  Thank Dena E
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!