“Paradise Found!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Morris Plains, New Jersey
“Paradise Found!”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Let me start by saying this is my first time out of the U.S. and as such, my first all inclusive resort. I traveled with my wonderful girlfriend as a surprise vacation. So how was it? AMAZING! First of all, Secrets is an amazing company and they are doing something wonderful here in Montego Bay. I heard they are opening a new resort outside of the city and I hope I can stay at that resort when it opens! The property is gorgeous and perfectly maintained. All the pools are pristine, the beaches are combed, and the restaurants are beautiful. The staff at Secrets were always greeting you with a smile and a greeting. If you ever needed anything, anywhere you were in the resort, there was someone VERY willing to help. Some names I'd like to mention specifically were our server from Portofino, Travis, the bartender at the Piano Bar, Michael, the bartender at one of the poolbars, Cordiff, and the server at the Bordeux, Dwayne. They all gave extremely professional and perfect service, along with great personalities! Half of our enjoyment of the trip came from the great people of Jamaica! I can't emphasize it enough! My girldriend mentioned how mellow I seemed on the whole trip. Its because Jamaica is so beautiful, warm and with nothing to worry about on the resort, I was truly at ease. I could go on and on about Secrets, Jamaica, and its people, but I'd rather you go experience it yourself! Two complaints I had about Secrets though...the club, Desires I think it was, smelled HORRIBLE. It was very off putting. And I was approached by several staff members, in a very friendly and subtle manner, asking if I needed drugs. I don't use drugs and while I appreciate that some people go to Jamaica for that specific reason, it made me feel uncomfortable. I had read that this happens in Jamaica, so I expected it to happen. But I still didn't like it. But those two things didn't ruin my trip! Love Jamaica and WILL be back!

1 Thank Tacoma01
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for your kind review and we are happy to know that we were able to make your stay an ‘amazing’ one. As a team we do our very best to provide all our guests with a great friendly atmosphere and exceptional service.

It is great in knowing that you found the different areas of our resort to be ‘gorgeous, well maintained, pristine, combed, and beautiful. Consistently good customer service is of the utmost importance to us and it is certainly thrilling to hear that our staff always greeted you with smiles and very willing to assist.

Your mention of a few of our staff members is indeed invaluable and this recognition will certainly be passed on to the relevant department for them to be duly recognized. We are indeed cheerful knowing that they were all professional and provided ‘perfect service’.

It was our extreme pleasure being of service to you and it is happy to know that you had a relaxing vacation. Feedback from our guests is welcomed as it provides us with an insight as to our guest’s experience. We thank you once again for highlighting deficiencies and certainly your time and the expression of your vacation stay – ‘paradise’. This allows us an opportunity to review our current processes and implement the changes required to ensure that we are consistently delivering the best possible service to our guests in all areas of our operations.

We are happy you had a wonderful stay with us and we can’t wait for you to return Home. We look forward to your next visit.

E-concierge Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,353)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Paris
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I were at Secrets Wild Orchid May 19-May 26, 2013. The resort was fabulous!!!! Everything looked as good or better than the pictures on their Facebook page and website.

The food was excellent!!! We tried all of the restaurants except for the French restaurant. My favorite was the Blue Mountain Jamaican restaurant. But, some nights the World Cafe has a buffet and you can not order off of the Mexican or Jamaican restaurant menus. So, be sure to check the schedule the housekeeping staff leaves for you every day. We never had a problem being seated at any of the restaurants. But, be sure to make your reservation for the Japanese Hibachi tables - those fill up fast.

The service was excellent (especially the bartender/server, Leo). The housekeeping staff was excellent and did a great job every day.

We LOVED the beach and the ocean. There were a lot of seating options on the beach and it was so nice to not have to worry about rushing outside to make sure you had a chair.

My only suggestion would be more “reggae” type music and access to Wi-Fi….never could get the Wi-Fi to work.

We will definitely go back to Jamaica and I am certain we will stay at Secrets Wild Orchid again.

Room Tip: Request rooms that are 3rd floor or above for better view.
Bayport, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2013

April 2011. Great experience. All junior suite ocean views. Our cocktail guy Leo was hysterical. He gave us our drinks then dove in pool to take someone elses order. Night club was good and had the final 4 on. It was open late which you dont usually see from resorts bars and clubs.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ferenzp
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for your shared feedback via Trip Advisor and are happy to know that you had a ‘great’ experience here with us and that you received excellent service from our team especially Leo who went above and beyond.

Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we are indeed pleased to know you were satisfied with the resorts facilities and that Secrets Wild Orchid is one of your favorites in the Caribbean.

It was our pleasure being of service to you and we do look forward to a return visit.

Darien, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We have not stayed at a lot of all-inclusive resorts, but this is the best so far. Number one, the food was very good. The breakfast buffets included just about anything you would want. The a la carte restaurants were also very good. There is a choice of French, Italian, Japanese, Seafood and Jamaican. They don't take reservations (except for the grill tables at the Japanese restaurant), but we never had a problem getting into the restaurant of our choice. All that we tried were good, but we liked the French, Italian and Seafood so much that we did not get to the others. Lobster was on the menu most nights, and it was excellent. For lunch, there is a jerk chicken cart which was very good and a seaside snack bar which was fine for a quick snack. We ate so much for breakfast and dinner that we didn't even go to the buffet for lunch and only had a sit-down lunch a couple of times (but they were good also).

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Our room was well-appointed with a beautiful ocean view. The pool area was nice and although many people reserved lounges early and then abandoned them for a long time, it was still fairly easy to find an empty one most of the time. The pool area is large enough that one can find a quiet spot if that's what you want or an active and noisy area if that is what you want. We opted for the quiet areas and we met some really nice people there from other areas of the U.S. and from Canada. The swimup bar area isn't very large and people tended to "park' there so it was not very accesable, but the servers do a good job of supplying drinks at your lounge chairs. We enjoyed our one visit to the spa, although it was pretty pricey.

My only disappointment was the beach areas. The beaches are rocky (both in and out of the water), so beach shoes are a must if you want to spend any time in the water. In addition, there are several beach areas broken up by rocky outcropings so there is not a long stretch of uninterrupted beach to walk. In spite of this, we had a great time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We wanted to stay in the "preferred" area, but it was booked. It turned out that we were...
3 Thank DarienBud
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We did not want to leave food and drinks were wonderful I can't wait until we can go back service was great. Only thing I would change wouldn't upgrade the room wasn't worth the money. Had trouble getting into internet service. Wish the weather would of been better but next time we. Will look that up I would definitely recommend this hotel the little stuff didn't matter

1 Thank uden7682
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review via trip Advisor. We are content in knowing that you had a great vacation here with us and to know that you enjoyed the ‘wonderful food and beverage’ as well as the ‘great service’. As it was our pleasure to have hosted you here; we do look forward to your return visit and to welcome you back Home with warm smiles.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I went here for a wedding with a rather large group of friends. Let me be honest, I am not one to go on vacation and sit. I prefer to move and see things, that being said, everyone in my party did not want to go off the resort, we stayed on the resort. It was a wonderful time.

The people were very polite, ready to do anything they could for you. They embodied the Jamaican spirit of "no problem mon." Although the resort was all inclusive, they were offering great service. When they cleaned the room, they did not just move things aside and clean around, they cleaned and folded the clothes.

The pools were great, they had a nice workout facility (yes, I am one of those people.) They had a small casino with slots and pool tables and ping pong tables and other entertainment. They did have water sports that you could pay extra to do, I did it and had a blast.

The food was good. They would offer room service any time throughout the day. They had a total of six restaurants of any variety. For lunch they only had three places, but let's be honest are you really going to be up that early? The wedding was wonderful.

We stayed in a preferred club room. They had a fully stocked bar that you could walk up to and get whatever you wanted as well as snacks.

This is a 21 and up resort. I would also say go as a couple, not alone, you won't find many people to pick up here.

Why the 4? two things bothered me a lot one, they never said that there were Jelly Fish in the water. Minor detail I know, but when we went into the water at night security told us to get out of the water, but not why. We assumed that they didn't want us swimming for our safety, we did not think that by walking on the beach at night would get us stung. Second, the incense in the hotel lobby was a bit much. (I know, I know)

Room Tip: Go ahead and go for preferred, it's well worth it. Also, the swim up is not needed.
Millersville, Maryland
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This was a phenomenal hotel! It looks JUST LIKE the website, which cannot always be said about vacation locales.
Staff was great. Perhaps a little too much pressure from the time-share "like" folks on hand, but we managed to escape them! LOL
My only complaint was the "music" throughout the hotel. NEED MORE REGGAE! I don't come to Jamaica to hear "Frank Sinatra" or other "American music!" I shouldn't have to sit at the pool in the middle of the afternoon, just to hear "a little" Jamaican music. It should be in the lounges, and other public locations playing music throughout the resort.
This is what happens at other great hotels, like Half Moon and Wyndam Rose Hall. If you want us back, please UPGRADE the music to your native sounds -- REGGAE!!

2 Thank Cindy W
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to be of service to you and we are extremely happy to hear that Secrets Wild Orchid is a phenomenal resort.
It is indeed pleasing to know that you enjoyed your time here at the resort and the team members were great.

We are grateful for the time you have taken to update us on the quality of your stay as well as your recommendations. We have forwarded your concern/tip regarding the daily music played here on property to the respective Department Head for consideration. It is with the expression of your concerns that we are able to review current practices with the aim of implementing the changes necessary to ensure that our guest are fully satisfied during their time with us.

Your review is most appreciated and once again we thank you for sharing. It is our hope that you will make Secrets Resorts your vacation destination of choice in the future and trust that you will see marked changes overall.
We do look forward to welcoming you back Home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,039 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!