“Great Snorkeling at a Wonderful Resort”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Secrets Wild Orchid is now our favorite resort in Jamaica. We have been to Jamaica 25 times and stayed at many resorts including most of the Sandals. This was our second time at Secrets and was special because we had access to the Preferred Club lounge, pool, and beach, as well as WIFI.
We had a very enjoyable time snorkeling at the West end, outside the swimming area at the Wild Orchid Preferred Club. The reef is extensive, varied, and beautiful. The fish are numerous with a few unusual specimens such as orange filefish, cottonwicks, and shy hamlets. We were thrilled to see spotted eagle rays a couple of times. Snorkeling is also good at the huge reef, which you can swim to from the main beach. If you take your own snorkel gear and a diver’s flag, you can go at any time. At watersports, they do not rent snorkel gear but do supply masks and fins for the free escorted snorkel trips.
Motorized water sports are available for various prices. We travelled with our holiday friends and enjoyed a joy ride on the boat as our friend went wakeboarding. They charge for this activity and take you to a calm bay where the cruise ships dock.
We really enjoyed the new modern rooms, excellent dining, and top shelf drinks. It is fun to have soft ice cream and fancy coffees at Coco Café. One day for lunch we got jerk chicken from the beach cart and took it to the Seaside Grill to enjoy with salad bar and wine.
Most of the staff are friendly and attentive even if you do not tip them. It was nice to chat with Francois, who used to work at Breezes Grand Negril, and to see Ethan, who produces an exciting circus show. Thank you so much to Isabel Rueda, Preferred Club Manager, who made our holiday extraordinary. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 7_am_Snorkeler
Write a ReviewReviews (7,066)

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had an absolutely awesome time at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay! Everyone was so friendly all the time, every day! Big ups to the Entertainment team who went above and beyond. Thanks to Cornflakes, Mello and Leo who kept us well entertained! :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank colleenc86
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Amazing beach! Snorkelling right from the resort... Preferred upgrade with a butler is the way to go. Takes the stress out of relaxing. Beds were amazing and food was delicious! Everyone must go to Jamaica mon. ;-)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Upon arriving at Secrets my wife and I were greeted with smiles and handshakes from everyone. The first day was more uneasy figuring your way around but the paths laid out make it easy. The food was good but the most important detail is the friendliness of the staff. Pick this place and tell my favorite bartenders Leonard, Ashoni and Crisian to make you something of their choice.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Suds77
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Staff at Secrets was wonderful. They MADE our trip. Can't say enough about the friendly, warm, welcoming staff. I don't think there could be better anywhere. Special mention for Kedeisha at Sugar Reef Bar, and from entertainment we loved Bon Jovi, Blue, Bruce, and Sparks. Antionette in reception was GREAT and Roach did a great job on the cooking and history class.
Peg Perlman

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We chose Secrets: Wild Orchid for our wedding which is actually connected to Secrets: St James in Montego Bay based on a friend who had been there's recommendation. They each have their own pools but share the restaurants, the spa, and entertainment. There is a boardwalk on the beach that runs the length of the 2 hotels. Secrets Wild Orchid (SWO) is a little newer and more modern and is closer to all the restaurants. You cannot go wrong at either and we had guests stay at St James (SJ) because SWO was sold out. Everyone was saying this was the nicest place they had ever been! One of our guests had the swimout room in the preferred club which was pretty cool during the day because we could hang out in the lazy river and be close to the room!

PREFFERED CLUB:
We stayed in the preferred club which was gorgeous. The best thing about it was that there was your own bar in the lobby filled with different tapas at all hours of the day, one night we didn't even go out, we just ate there! there also is a bar filled with grey goose, ciroc, crown royal etc - all top shelf liquors that you can make however you like! sometimes the fruity drinks become too much! Im not sure if it was 100% worth the extra money only because ALL the resort is soo nice. Some other brides I spoke with even said they were bumped up to it for free!

TIPPING:
One things I must note is how nice all the staff is. They are all kind and try to know you by name. They really really appreciate any tips so I recommend bringing as many $1s as you can. change is hard to come by and trust me you just want to tip these sweet people. $1 American is = $100 Jamaican dollars so your tips are really making a difference in their lives.

Shout out to my fav staff: Leo & Danielle the best bartenders, Carlton the coconut man, happy feet, sparks, and cornflakes for keeping me entertained, Rocio my wedding coordinator, all the girls in the preferred club food area.

DRINKS:
Our guests favorite cocktails were: dirty banana (kinda like a chocolate banana smoothie with alcohol), grasshopper (tastes like a thin mint cookie), espresso martini from the piano bar, all different flavors of mojitos, jamaican smile, purple rain, bob marley (that's the tri colored drink in pictures), and icebergs (red stripe draft beer with a floater of margarita on top) YUM-O!!

FOOD:
All the food was very good! For breakfast there is a buffet at the world café which has everything. There is also the coco café which is a coffee bar that is open all the time and serves hot and cold drinks including blue mountain coffee and some that have alcohol in them. That is how I started off all most everyday!

My favorite lunch spot was the restaurant at the st. james pool. they had a nacho bar daily, and pizza, and many great dishes was a daily soup. the restaurant oceana at the wild orchid pool had different wraps that you could customize. there is also a snack bar in between each resort on the boardwalk that has soft pretzels, and the best little "meat pies' and Saratoga chips. This is all serve yourself which is great for a quick bite. Lastly there is staff that walks the boardwalk for 2 hrs each day and serve fresh fruit, jerk chicken, and fresh coconuts! (you can take them to the bar and they will add some rum too ;)

For dinner if your want to go to the Japanese restaurant, make a reservation as soon as your arrive. there was a 2 day wait for a table while we were there. It is delicious and you must try! The French restaurant Boudaeux has filet and lobster but make sure your hubby brings pants or else your cant get in! I would skip Portofino - the Italian restaurant. You can get much better food at all the others. El patio is the Mexican restaurant and was delicious. One thing to plan around is that Saturday night is all you can eat lobster night! YUMMY The Jamaican restaurant Blue Mountain was also very very good. The crab cakes and pumpkin soup are tasty and my husband loved the goat?!

Our entire group probably wiped out the room service staff because we were all obsessed! the fried cheese triangles were to DIE FOR! they ran out multiple nights lol. The club sandwich was fab and the fish sandwich. It was such a luxury! we would order after dancing all night at DESIRES the nightclub!

PRIVATE CANDLELIGHT DINNER:
This is a must! It is included in the honeymoon package if you stay as the resort for 7 nights. You can also purchase if not and use some of the resort coupons. It was ~$350 for the lowest package. On our last day there, we had a romantic day at the spa with the hydrotherapy circuit and a couples massage. The spa is very high class. Later, we went to the barracuda bar and waited for our private waiter to get us and take us to our table. It was set up on the ocean at sunset. It was absolutely breathtaking. He served us a 3 course meal of the best food we had the entire time we were there with a bottle of champagne. This was the perfect way to end our trip!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank kaylin m
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is my 2nd stay at Secrets Wild Orchid and they definitely surpassed my expectations. The staff are beyond amazing! I loved how the females that work there would always say, "my lady" to me. Super cute! Andrew, bartender at Secrets Wild Orchid, was extremely entertaining, made seriously delicious drinks and was very nice. I must say that he was the standout worker for me there. Other phenomenal workers were the Chef at Bordeaux (Lamar), Diana (server at Bordeaux) and Karen (bartender at the beach bar). Everyone is so happy and it shows. The rooms are just as nice and spotlessly clean as they were when I was there in January of this year.

The food was definitely better than what I remembered! Note: do not even try going to the Mexican restaurant...the food there is pretty much inedible. This is sad as the food at all of the other restaurants is really delicious. My favorites were the jerk chicken cart for lunch every day, the fresh coconuts (Carlton, I'll be looking for you in April when I come back), the steak and lobster and Bordeaux and the Pad Thai at Himitsu. My mother has a severe shellfish allergy and upon our check-in the main chef met with us to discuss which restaurants we would be going to each night and went out of his way to discuss in great detail with each chef at their restaurants about my mother's condition and what she could eat as well as what she couldn't. She didn't have one issue and I was blown away by how accommodating and vigilant they were.

This time I was only able to go snorkeling once as it was "too rough" every other day. This was a major bummer as it's one of my favorite things to do. Since I'm a member of their vacation club, I was upgraded to an oceanfront room and extended Preferred Club privileges. The Preferred Club is worth the extra money for those wondering. You get free wi-fi, have an assortment of snacks available until 11pm, top shelf liquor sitting out for you to pour yourself whatever you'd like (sometimes there's someone there to pour the drinks as well) and the Preferred Club pool and beach area is perfect! The loungers are all spaced out so you're not on top of others. We didn't even venture out to the regular pools and beach areas, besides walking past them when strolling around the property.

I traveled with my mom for our annual mother/daughter trip. I've already booked my return visit for April 2014. I was debating about staying elsewhere (Iberostar), but just can't make myself as I don't believe it could compete with Secrets Wild Orchid. Keep up the excellent work!

Room Tip: I don't believe there's a bad room there