“Great Facility; Food Uneven” 4 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Florham Park, New Jersey, USA
“Great Facility; Food Uneven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Room was gorgeous with huge Jacuzzi, rainfall and handheld showerhead, fridge stocked with drinks. Beaches had beautiful wicker chairs and thatched roofs to keep out of the sun if desired. Pool had swim up bar (that we did not use during our short stay).

Food was exceedingly bountiful but most of the steam table food was only warm. Omelets seem to be great if you wanted to wait for them. The best meal during our stay was not in any of the restaurants, but a guy walking along the beach with a rolling BBQ made out of a 55 gallon drum. The BBQ contained Jamaican Jerk Chicken that was steaming hot, very tasty and the meat literally fell off the bones. We tried to get reservations at the Japanese Hibachi Restaurant but did not succeed. Their table side dinners were our 2nd favorite meal.

We're not heavy drinkers, so the cost seems high.

Beach is sandy with volleyball court. Snorkeling was just so-so (no fish).

Some prior reviewers had complained about the A/C not working well enough. We found that it made the room too cold and were more comfortable with it turned off.

The resort is upscale and virtually gated. Felt a little bad that we did not have the time to sight see / shop outside of the resort.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room. We were on the first floor next to the pool. Didn't have...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RKWh2o

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,286)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Kraainem, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

In line with many of the other reviews here, this resort gave us a fantastic and relaxing holiday. This was our first all inclusive and so I can not compare it to others, but I can say that I thought it was real value for money. The resort is clean and the rooms were furnished to a good standard. The food on the resort was of a good quality and great selection. All the restaurants have table service apart from one large buffet one at lunchtimes. We ate in all of them over the 10 days there and enjoyed the variety. Coming from Europe I can say that the food is not traditional French or Italian etc but still very enjoyable. Drinks are great and they do not give short measures!! We booked one of the preferred club rooms and we had a great mini bar but we barely touched it. We did enjoy the preferred club lounge with nice canapés on offer throughout the day and it also offered a much quieter place to have breakfast. Also, the preferred club has a help yourself bar. The Wild orchid resort is where all the entertainment is and nearly all the restaurants are there. I would only choose the St James side if you really want piece and quiet and don't mind a short walk to the food outlets. I would upgrade again in the future as I thought it was worth it. The preferred club beaches have different shaded sun loungers. Regarding Tips: It seems that as many people tip as don't tip. We tipped in the sit down restaurants and for the bellman, but we did not tip at breakfast or when drinks came round. Maybe in the height of the season it may improve the service but we had no issues. Dress code was not followed in the restaurants but the majority made the effort and men wore casual trousers and shirts or smart shorts. Most had dress sandals or closed shoes.
I would definitely return to this resort and it has given us the confidence to try other Secrets resorts. Overall the staff are all fantastic and happy and it makes your stay so much better and the feel of the place is soooo relaxing.

Room Tip: I think the preferred club upgrade is well worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NicStiltonMassey
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I visited Secrets in December 2013 on a Day Pass with a friend. A Day Pass means you have access to all the facilities of the hotel as a normal guest would and can do everything except sleep in a room. The property was gorgeous but I was not impressed with anything else . The food and the drinks were mediocre and not what I would expect for the prices that they charge. There was cold food on the buffet ( freezer cold) , when helping myself to some chicken that was laid out for lunch , I was told by the server on the buffet line that the food needed to be warmed up. I had a hard time finding fruits and when I did it was limited and not juicy as one would expect fruits in Jamaica to be.
The fruit juices were drink mixes and syrups and the cocktails had very little trace of rum.
I was also shocked at the poor quality of service. I was told by a waiter that the bartender did not want to serve me because it was "almost " closing time at the pool bar. Five minutes later upon my leaving there was the said bartender shouting at me to come get my drink then demanding that I tell him what the waiter had said to me.
I did not once complain as I found it rather amusing and shocking plus except for gas and my time it did not cost me any money as I had won the trip.
I was really disappointed with the resort as my expectations were high based on their rates and their ratings. I really wanted to have amazing things to say.
I am a pretty easy guest but the things I encountered were too much to ignore. Maybe it's a one off experience, perhaps I'm picky or maybe my expectations were too high but you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere. Maybe paying the extra for the VIP services would make a difference , too bad I will never find out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TheDrylandTourist
East Aurora, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid over Christmas 2013. Family of 4, Two rooms, Prefered Swim out. My Sons Are 24 and 18. I travel throught out the year. So I am going to list the Items I feel will be helpful and to the point.
I called Clive's Transport (1-876-956-2615) to Sched a private car to the Hotel and the return. 100 dollars round trip, Excellent service and on time. The check in was excellent, no waiting, the ladies explained everything well and I did not op for the sales talk.The rooms were large, very clean, patio with hot tub and you can walk into the water the leads to the pool, nice area around pool and the beach is 20 feet beyond the patio. Now the room is aprox 3 feet above the patio, so if you do not like the fact that someone could look into your room or if you fail to close the curtains some one May see you in a robe, stay in the upper rooms. We personally enjoyed the fact that you were at patio level and on your own patio. The prefered section has a lounge that was about 30 feet away, full bar, wine, ect, and food itemsand deserts all day and night, they change this 3 times a day. Service was outstanding, Nadine walked the patio and was always there with drinks and came back often. This delighted my 18 year old because the drinking age is 18, so cold red strips and 24 hour room service was his thing. Restuants were good, on wait, many courses of food, All were very good and aceptable, If your looking for true 5 star or very picky, I am sure you can find things to complain about.
Towels were pleantiful in room, turn down service was nice. Sandra took care of both rooms and god bless her, nothing is more messy than 2 boys in a hotel. You can not go 50 feet with out finding food or drinks. Barrels with ice and water bottles were everyware. BRING 5'S AND 1'S for tips, yea yea its al inclusive but if your that cheap you should stay someware else. No one asked or expected tips. But they were always very apreciated.
Beach is great, bring water shoes, it is the ocean and there is coral and small rocks, there is a reef out side the marker and is great for snorkeling any time you like. They have free snorkelling and a paid trip that lasts about 1 1/2 hr. So if you have never, do the free or paid to get a comfort level. Check out was a breeze, give yourself 10 min extra to fill out info and to settle your bill.
Ok, the only issues I had was the beds are extremly soft, great for most, to soft for me, boys enjoyed them. The hamburger bar is a waste and the ONLY people who were not pleasent. The ocean side rest is right there, you wont be sorry. Oh and the Jerk Chicken Cart is a must, He walks throught out the area every day about 1130 to 2 and it is Great. So in closing I must say, I had read prob 150 reviews before booking the trip. There are some very picky people in the world who will find fault with any and everything. As I said I travel alot. The secrets wild orchid is a great place to have a fun and relax. If you are one who is worried about getting your moneys worth than go to a less expensive resort and have fun and use 5 towels for a shower and drink and eat everything in site and bring quarters. If not you will great time.
Ps, We op out on some of the day trips because they take the whole day. like 8am to 8pm. So if your one who has to do and see everything stay at the Saint james side of the complex, which is very nice. Have fun
Poeple I would like to Thank, Garfield and Christopher, Sandra, Francine, Clifford, Clinton the entire Desk staff and my special friend Nadine. See you all soon and Thank you

Room Tip: ROOMS 1113,1114 are super, no direct sun, and the view of the ocean is super
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Todd455
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

So my BFF and I decided to do a return trip to Secrets since our last visit Xmas 2012, we decided to bring along a friend to share the experience with us, we are happy to say that Secrets was absolutely awesome the second time around, the food was exceptional and it would be remiss of me if I didnt mention the excellent service of the staff and in particular I would like to make special mention of their Guess Relations Manager, Billy Love, who made our experience worth every moment of it!

Rose Marie

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Secrets Wild Orchid is now our favorite resort in Jamaica. We have been to Jamaica 25 times and stayed at many resorts including most of the Sandals. This was our second time at Secrets and was special because we had access to the Preferred Club lounge, pool, and beach, as well as WIFI.
We had a very enjoyable time snorkeling at the West end, outside the swimming area at the Wild Orchid Preferred Club. The reef is extensive, varied, and beautiful. The fish are numerous with a few unusual specimens such as orange filefish, cottonwicks, and shy hamlets. We were thrilled to see spotted eagle rays a couple of times. Snorkeling is also good at the huge reef, which you can swim to from the main beach. If you take your own snorkel gear and a diver’s flag, you can go at any time. At watersports, they do not rent snorkel gear but do supply masks and fins for the free escorted snorkel trips.
Motorized water sports are available for various prices. We travelled with our holiday friends and enjoyed a joy ride on the boat as our friend went wakeboarding. They charge for this activity and take you to a calm bay where the cruise ships dock.
We really enjoyed the new modern rooms, excellent dining, and top shelf drinks. It is fun to have soft ice cream and fancy coffees at Coco Café. One day for lunch we got jerk chicken from the beach cart and took it to the Seaside Grill to enjoy with salad bar and wine.
Most of the staff are friendly and attentive even if you do not tip them. It was nice to chat with Francois, who used to work at Breezes Grand Negril, and to see Ethan, who produces an exciting circus show. Thank you so much to Isabel Rueda, Preferred Club Manager, who made our holiday extraordinary. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 7_am_Snorkeler
Sylvania, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had an absolutely awesome time at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay! Everyone was so friendly all the time, every day! Big ups to the Entertainment team who went above and beyond. Thanks to Cornflakes, Mello and Leo who kept us well entertained! :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Royalton White Sands Resort
Royalton White Sands Resort
#15 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,813 reviews

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!