“AMAZING!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My fiancé and I have just got back from a week in Secrets Wild Orchid and I find it so hard to understand how anyone manages to complain about it, it is absolutely fantastic! The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, the staff are beyond amazing and cannot do enough for you - its amazing. We stayed for a week in Jan (escaping the winter blues in the UK) it did rain twice while we were there but it only lasted maximum two hours on one day and then it was sunny again. We didn't go to specifically sunbathe so we were fine with this. The hotel is really big and although there are a lot of people here it doesn't seem overly crowded. I am still not quite sure what the difference is between the St James and the Wild Orchid if there are any but we preferred Wild Orchid. The food is lovely and I am very fussy so the fact that I always found something nice to eat says a lot. Everyone tends to get quite dressed up of an evening which is nice. There is only one restaurant you have to make a reservation at which is the Japanese/Thai one but beware when you do make a reservation it automatically means you are sat at the chef table (where you cook the food in front of you) which is great if you want interactive and a bit of entertainment, if not you don't have to make a reservation and you can just go down (we ate here twice and did both options). We ate at all of the restaurants other than the French one and all were lovely. One thing that me an my partner thought was amazing was the cable options they have so many channels to watch if it is raining or you want to chill out and watch TV before dinner. The hotel has a 24 hour room service menu but I have to admit its not really up to much, I am a vegetarian and there isn't a lot of choice on the menu for vegetarians. The hotel has a lot of wild life such as cats, parrots, peacocks - I am a massive animal lover so this was ideal for me and I used to take food to feed them. If you want to see the cats the best place is the preferred club in St James by the fish pond, they all hide in the bushes to avert the heat but if you take food there they all come out :-) my partner and I say we would never go the same place twice as there are too many places in the world to see but this hotel really did wow us so wherever we are going now we will be looking if they have a secrets and we will be staying there. Its easy to get the food right and the accommodation but it is not easy to get the service and the staffing right but Wild Orchid have got it spot on, we even met a very friendly gardener named Omar that stopped what he was doing to let us hold Bob the parrot. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!!

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are a little bit over rated as you have no privacy. Avoid a ground floor room if you c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,411)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

When we booked Secrets a rival travel agent told us it was a swingers hotel!! Instantly I thought I'd be getting a divorce before we'd even made the wedding.

I spoke to a girl on trip advisor as well as Virgin's concierge to clarify that it was in fact NOT! Panic OVER!

We have been to various all inclusive hotels in Dominican republic and Mexico, but this one stepped it up! We didn't actually leave the resort.

From the moment we arrived the staff were amazing, they made you feel completely at ease and instantly relaxed. (Something which we have not got everywhere in the Caribbean).

The Grounds were perfect just big enough to accommodate the guests but not so big that it took an age to get anywhere. They were also really looked after and the gardeners were always busy maintaining the outdoor space. We stayed in PC and I would definitely recommend it (especially if like us you are British) it was quieter and not as busy as the main pools/beaches; although it gives you the option to sit anywhere.

Rooms: From what I gather the PC blocks are no where near as big. The rooms are bigger with full bottles of vodka, rum and brandy. There is a wider selection of drinks in the lobby of the pc block "the lounge" which even had grey goose and jack daniels. You could easily poor yourself a drink and take it up to your room. We had a jacuzzi bath in the room and a bath on the balcony which I used a lot!! Our only minor issue was that our hot water seemed really inconsistent however it wasn't a big enough deal to complain.

Food: The food was great I hate it when I read bad reviews of the food as there was SO much choice.
Breakfast was completely buffet style, (in mexico we could go to one of the restaurants which sat over one of the pools and have table service breakfast) if you want to improve secrets maybe do this ... as tourists its a beautiful novelty to be able to look at the sea whilst eating breakfast.
Lunch was in three/four places: the buffet again which we didn't actually go to until the second week but they had an amazing choice of salads and everything else you could possibly want for lunch including a pasta bar which was yummy. The pools restaurants were open for lunch too, both sit down but with a salad bar for starters, one did wraps and burgers which you chose the fillings for the prawn (Shrimp) ones were so fresh! the other restaurant did sandwiches/meat/pastas etc more of a restaurant place.
Dinner; my favourite was bordeaux, the service was great and the food was delicious, although we went there on our last night and there was obviously a different chef as it wasn't quite as perfect.
Himitsu, we were expecting sushi but it was just a mix of Asian cuisine's i had the pad thai one night and the beef stir fry another. Don't be shy of asking for a plate with all the starters, we did on our second visit and i wish we had on our first too as it gives you a chance to try everything.
Portofino & Seaside Grill were also both yummy. If I had one more night and had a choice of Oceana and sea side grill I would choose SSG as they both have similar menus but SSG is nicer.

In the PC there was food in the lounge all the time, you could stop there for any meal/snack anytime of day.

room service was room service... nothing incredible but is there ever?
The other thing that I will say didn't amaze me was the desserts in the buffet & pc lounges. (in secrets defence we didn't always order deserts from the restaurants) with the exception of bordeaux and blue mountain which were amazing.

We had a meal on the beach one night and it started to rain, our server hurried us under shelter and within seconds had rearranged our table under one of the palm leaf umbrellas... the rain soon stopped but we chose to stay under there incase it started up again. His name was DARIOUS!! and he was amazing and great fun!

When we got back to our room after the meal on the beach they had run us a bath and the whole room was covered in rose petals. It was lovely.

SECRETS you need to invest in proper tea bags for us British folk! The American stuff just doesn't cut it, I was having withdrawal symptoms it was awful!!!

I can't stress enough how friendly all the staff were!! we just don't get this in the UK and it made our holiday. Everyone stopping you for a chat seeming genuinely interested in your stay. I'll mention a few:
Avion Reid!! Loveliest server on the beach! is the sun out now i'm not there??
Ryan from portofino remembered us from our previous visit to the restaurant, and I have never seen someone get SO excited over my correct prediction of rain (which was our reason for sitting down inside five minutes before the entire population of seated guests outside ran in the door.)
Colleta on concierge!! I miss this girl so much, she told me she was a drama queen within 5minutes of meeting her... we instantly got on! she advised me on what to buy to tan as a week in I was still reflecting the sun. she also helped us with any problems we had and was always very friendly!
All the guys at the Captins hut on the beach were very chatty and good fun. Hilarious when we went snorkelling at 10 in the morning in 28 degree heat and our guide was genuinely shivering because it was "COLD"??!! we also did parasailing and especially as we saw some not so safe ones going on from different places we were very glad we got the team we did. I even got seasick (luckily just to the stage where I felt a bit dodgy) and they told me whereabouts on the boat to sit to minimise the motion and they got us back to shore quickly which was greatly appreciated.
One of the guys in the piano bar made the best Lemon drop margaritas!! but i can't remember his name as i'd always had a few too many.

On a wine note if you drink the house red ask for the one with the black label, it was much nicer than the others although I can't remember what that was called either :/.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SophColl
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was our 8th trip to Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay, taking place over New Years for 10 days. It was as always a wonderful experience.

We stayed in the Preferred Club and for the first time were fortunate to experience butler service. This is a relatively new service provided by the resort and our three butlers; (Petrona, Dalton and Refinesha) were exceptional. We were a group of eight people and they took care to ensure that everything that we needed was professionally taken care of, even though they were only responsible for assisting my wife and I. If you want to be pampered, then book the Preferred Club and look into the butler service. The lounge food and services in the club are of the highest quality. Isabelle, the club manager is doing an outstanding job of ensuring her staff go out of their way to guarantee you an enjoyable holiday.

As I mentioned, we have been to this resort many times and the positive reviews in TripAdvisor are testament to the excellence that you will experience. The food was fantastic and the service throughout the resort continues to be outstanding. I would like to mention a few individuals among the many who provided us with great service , some of them remember us from previous visits and took special care to make sure we (and our guests) had a superb experience:

Fabian and Lomare at Portofino
Monesa at Bordeaux
Philip and O’Neil at the piano bar
Karen at Barracuda bar
Allandro at the St James Lounge
Our housekeeper

It is impossible to mention all of the staff, but as always they were remarkable and kind. In fact the staff go out of their way to assure that guests are satisfied and happy. For instance, a guest on the Preferred Beach asked a server if she could have some tea. The server indicated to the guests that tea was available in the Preferred Club lounge, however if she could wait until she did her bar run she would go and get some for the guest. I realized that it was not the servers job, I’m not sure the guest did, but I was impressed. I wish I could remember her name but I cannot, I do know that she has been at the resort serving on the beaches for some time.

The leadership of the general manager Mr. Huhn is reflected in the attention that staff are giving to all aspects of the resorts. The grounds, building and beaches are magnificent and always clean.

A special thank you to Caulette for making us feel like VIPs, you are an incredibly kind person.

The resort is truly a marvelous, relaxing location to spend your holidays. If you are looking for a romantic getaway where the beaches or pools are not over crowded, amorous evening meals, enjoyable evening shows & music (more Jamaican music has been added in response to comments from the guests) as well as good quality beverages, this is the spot for you. If you have any problems while you are there, just ask the staff or a manager to look into it for you. If they can take care of it………they will, if they cannot they will explain why or do their best to mitigate it for you.

Remember, if you’re coming to Secrets in Montego Bay, bring a little something for their orphanage & school program. Just contact the e-concierge for information and when you get there, find Billy Love who will ensure that your gift gets to the e-concierge. It is not hard to find Billy Love, everyone knows him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adirOn4-TlE). We always bring a school bag filled with items (medical, educational or games) to support the resort’s efforts to help the community, perhaps you can do the same, they will be gracious and very happy to accept your kindness.

4 Thank KenOttawa5
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Secrets Wild Orchid has so much to offer it's hard to know where to begin!
The food is fabulous, the property is gorgeous, the drinks are stellar, the entire property is pristine and the activity choices are vast.
All that said, it would be just another deluxe resort without the fabulous staff who were not only attentive to every detail but treated us as if we were family. When we were ready to leave there were 6 or 7 staff members that took time from what they were doing to come to the front desk and say their goodbyes. I've never had that happen in 42+ years of traveling and I will never forget them for it.
The bar waiters are not only skilled but also entertaining. The activity staff makes everyone feel a part of things without being overpowering, the housekeeping staff never missed a trick, the restaurant servers had incredible people skills. I could go on and on. Bottom line is, each and every one of them takes pride in their work at Secrets and has ownership of that work. No one ever passed the buck, blamed anyone else, made excuses - all they did was make sure we (there were 12 in our group) had the time of our lives while under their care.
I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We had never stayed in a swim out room before and thought we wouldn't like it. We were wrong! It...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Where2gogal
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed October 8-15, 2013
Stephen & Anna C.

We checked in on Tuesday, October 8th at 1:30 p.m. Our room was still being prepared and we were directed to have lunch and relax on the beach until about 3p.m.
No problem Mon.

We were taken from the beach to our room abut 3pm and entered Room 1207, the preferred club master suite - a corner room, complete with two Jacuzzi’s, indoor and outdoor, overlooking different parts of Montego Bay, dual vanity sinks, walk in shower with dual shower heads allow for maximum comfort for two (probably 7’L x 3’W). UNREAL!

A large living area with wet bar and fully stocked fridge is separated from the bedroom by two large sliding doors.
A larger Jacuzzi is set on the patio overlooking the beach and bay, with lounge chairs and small table for enjoying an outdoor meal. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

All this was expected as pictures and location which was reviewed detailed this specifically.

Even though, this still managed to exceed our expectations and didn’t translate until arrival. You must see this in person to truly appreciate it. The staff (our family now) is honestly what made the whole experience. We will go into detail about our new friends throughout the review.

To continue about the room, we were then called around 5p.m. by our butler, Patrick, who asked if he could come to our room and introduce himself.
Shortly after he arrived, Refinesha, and Michael, also stopped by and completed the butler service staff that was included with our room.
Again overwhelmed!
We had three butlers to provide us the best experience possible, and they did so with utmost grace. They were used primarily for dinner reservations and tour excursions, and were more than happy to help us with that or anything else we asked.
We felt like VIP’s, as dinner lines were bypassed and special tables were reserved with rose petals to complement.
We explained what tours we were interested in, which were then scheduled when we requested, never feeling like we had to reserve our spots early, after all, we were on “ISLAND TIME” now. It seemed we could do anything at our leisure, and were advised on any scheduling challenges in advance.
Refinesha, Patrick, and Michael, were so friendly and immediately made us feel welcome and among friends.
A cell phone was provided to us by the butlers to contact them anytime between 8AM and 10PM for any possible request.

With our honeymoon package we received a candlelight beach dinner, champagne breakfast, and spa treatments that were all included at no charge.
The candlelight dinner featured our waiter DELROY, who helped capture our special moment with photos and provided some entertainment as well.
The resort itself has much to offer. Sailing, kayaking, snorkeling, and the beautiful beaches were our favorites.
Plentiful food and drinks at various locations, including a beachside jerk chicken cart which was tremendous.
Saturday is Surf N’ Turf night, and there is no limit. Huge grilled lobster tails to satisfy the greediest of all enthusiasts. All restaurants were great and delivered good service and quality.
Room service was good with mostly prompt and timely delivery.
At our request, our butler, Patrick, actually brought room service to the beach for us our last day, as to maximize our last moments at this palace we now called home.
Again! Over the Top!
Service was overall great! Most staff seemed happy to be there, and it shows in their effort.

TOURS:

We highly recommend a trip to Mayfield Falls. Chosen instead of the more tourist packed Dunn’s River Falls, we felt Mayfield Falls offered a unique and personal experience we were looking for.
The drive, which is about 1 ½ hours from Montego Bay, is a little bumpy, but well worth the journey through the mountains. Offering much insight into Jamaican life outside our resort, we were most interested to see the schools and many churches that were scattered throughout our drive.
The guides were terrific. O’NEILL and JERMAINE were more than helpful through the challenging parts of the hike. You hike through the falls while swimming through crystal blue pools. The small cascading falls averaging about 3 to 5 feet and are great for kids as well. Not too hazardous. Our group of six was small, and we only saw a few other people in the area.
We felt we were in an isolated paradise.
Lunch was included, choice of jerk chicken or pork, with beans, rice and plantains.
Remote and exotic is what we were after, and were rewarded x 10.

Second, we took a horseback riding tour through a ranch to the beach.
Again the guides, Gandhi and his staff, were very pleasurable and unassuming, singing with us as we rode through the countryside, eventually swimming through a cove on horseback. Check that off the bucket list!

The only negatives I can mention are listed below.

1. Bar service on the beach can be slow. But really…just go to the bar yourself if you need a drink that badly. After all, they are free. We had no issue with this and a tip certainly helped the cause.
2. Room service lost a lunch order, but even offered to bring it to the Spa as to help us avoid missing our appointment. No problem Mon!
3. When visited by the butlers, we were asked to fill out a questionnaire detailing any specific requests such as beer, whiskey, and dietary needs. It seemed they did not act on this like I would have expected. All we needed was some Red Stripe and Johnnie Walker and had to call two days later for some action. Honestly, I was not very upset, but I am a customer service manager and felt “why fill out the questionnaire?”
I’m sure Secrets would like to know how they could improve this service.
4. Lastly, The Spa can be booked up early, this you may want to reserve prior to arrival. We had to scramble a bit, even with our VIP status they could only muster up two available appointments all week.

Although tips are not required, the pleasant attitude of the staff most often warranted a small gratuity. And I was happy to oblige.

Being one that serves people, I found it difficult to ask for much from our butlers, but they really strived to make you feel at home. After a few days, we settled right in and let them do their job. 10+

To continue, the staff is what made our honeymoon so pleasant.
From the bell hops, JEFFREY and JOSEPH,
And pool entertainers BON JOVI, CORNFLAKES, and HAPPY FEET,
And our sailing captain LINCOLN (Jamaican John Wayne),
And the Spa staff MARSHA, STEPHANIE, and DESISIA,
And our service waiter DANION,
And towel man BIG KEVIN,
And again our butlers PATRICK, REFINESHA, and MICHAEL, all were the most pleasurable part of the entire experience.

We hope to return soon! As we feel like Jamaica is now a second home.

Overall I would rate our experience a 9.5 out of 10.

Room Tip: The preferred club is quieter as there is no bar in the pool area you overlook.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Spent a full week at this resort. Everything about it was perfect. Very attractive resort with beautiful landscaping, clean beach, delicious restaurants, wonderful spa services, accommodations spacious and clean. Entire staff attentive and service oriented as should be.

Room Tip: Junior Suite with Balcony.
2 Thank KatyGardener
Lorain
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I spent 10 days at Wild Orchid in early December celebrating our 10th anniversary. The resort is beautiful and well kept. Our room (we opted for a PC room for the first time) was very nice and had incredible views of the Caribbean and the bay itself. The room staff did a fantastic job of keeping our room in order. The refrigerator was not working when we got there and still did not work when we left. We did call and were assured someone was on their way to fix it and it never happened. Our solution was to use the ice bucket to cool some beer and water but none of the ice machines worked. Get ice in the PC lounge from a staff member(as long as it isn't the young girl in the evening as she did not seem happy to help).
We highly recommend a higher floor room. We were on the top floor and loved it. The service was impeccable(with the exception of 1 person in the evenings that worked in the PC lounge). From the bartenders to the wait staff at the beach we were treated very well. The food was good with the Italian and the Mexican restaurants as our favorites. PC is not for everyone, but as we were looking for some quiet and relaxation and the Wild Orchid side was perfect and it was nice to have warm snacks and desserts available all day as well as the liquor service without having to go to the bar. We spent our mornings relaxing at the PC area and afternoons at the bars down the beach.

The daily activities were kind of lame with a different version of yesterdays activity each day. If you are looking for a real Jamaican musical experience this is not the place for you. Most of the music was Jamaicanized American music. The nighttime entertainment was disappointing with the exception of the dance in the theatre and that was very good. Fortunately, we didn't really care as we were just looking to relax and drink a bunch of Jamaican rum during the day and crash out early. Once again, the bartenders were fantastic with a joke, a new drink and a smile.

We took one excursion to YS Falls and Appleton Rum Estate. Both trips are highly recommended. We used Reggae Tours for our transfers and our day trip.
Ramine(lettuce) was our driver upon arrival and our day trip. You can't go wrong with Ramine, as he went out of his way to take us to some very off the beaten paths to eat and experience some of the local culture. Our return trip to the airport was on time and we used Club MoBay for the first time. It was well worth the $30.00 per person. The wait at Sangster is long and uncomfortable in the main concourses. MoBay was very comfortable with plenty of food to snack on, a good wait staff and good drinks and also had some American football on Tv's. We don't usually use these kind off services but decided to try it this time. We figured why not as we didn't want the Jamaican resort experience to end and it kept some of the frustrations of traveling down.

All in all I would recommend Wild Orchid as a great place to relax or get nuts. The only things stopping this resort from being a 5 star was a very small part of the hotel staff, age and reliability of room equipment, and the food. The views alone are 5 star and well worth the price of admission.

Room Tip: PC in the Wild Orchid side and upper floors
3 Thank rb_dowg
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!